Vino Volo - Bethesda
7243 Woodmont Avenue
Bethesda, MD 20814Neighborhood:
Bethesda / Chevy Chase
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Vino Volo - Bethesda
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.vinovolobethesdarow.com/
- Phone: (301)656-0916x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: 11:00am - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 11:00am - 12:00am. HAPPY HOUR: Monday - Friday, 4 - 7 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Wine Bar, Contemporary American, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Bebel Kim
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: Live music most Thursday nights! Check out our facebook page or stop by for a flight, glass, or bottle, and check it out!
- Special Events: - LADIES NIGHT EVERY WEDNESDAY
- HAPPY HOUR M - F 4 - 7 PM
- PRIVATE EVENT SPACE AVAILABLE
- PATIO SEATING - FIRST COME/FIRST SERVE
- Cross Street: Elm St.
- Public Transit: One block east of the Bethesda Metro station.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: VALET PARKING - At Woodmont avenue in front of Vino Volo
Available Daily at 5pm | $10
*$7 at sponsored restaurants
PUBLIC PARKING - There are 16 public garages or lots with over 6,600 spaces and 766 on-street meters within walking distance of the movies, shops and restaurants. Garage and lot public parking is FREE on Saturdays, Sunday and holidays.
A word from Vino Volo - Bethesda
Welcome to Vino Volo! We invite you to come join us for the best selection of wine in Bethesda, while pairing it with our incredible menu. Share a glass with friends in our cozy, warm atmosphere and experience the best service and wine knowledge in the city. We look forward to seeing you, and cheers!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerLate Night Find
Vino Volo - Bethesda - Best Restaurants in Bethesda / Chevy Chase ›
Vino Volo - Bethesda reviews from OpenTable diners
18 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
notable wine list (11)romantic (7)late-night find (7)neighborhood gem (6)good for groups (5)great for outdoor dining (5)special occasion (3)vibrant bar scene (2)fit for foodies (2)scenic view (1)hot spot (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Good food, too noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 2/2/2013While the menu is small, the food was overall quite good. We liked the half and full size portions, and the wine flights allowed us to sample several different wines. However, there were two problems that prevented a fully enjoyable experience: (1) one entree was brought out well before the other three, so that person was almost done by the time the other entrees arrived and (2) the live music was much too loud. We could barely hear each other over the noise (and the singer wasn't even good, making it even less enjoyable). The first issue is easily solved and probably wouldn't prevent me from going back, but the loud music would. I would recommend the restaurant for the food, but would warn about the noise.
- Vino Volvo is a fun, hip restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/1/2013Vino Volvo is a fun, hip restaurant for generation X and baby boomers. I went on Friday night the place was packed; thank God I had reservations. The live band was nice, atmosphere was buzzing. Unfortunately the food and wine was just fair, nothing to write home about. Service was weak, my truffle popcorn appetizer arrived after dinner, maybe too much traffic for minimal staff. If you just want a great place to hang out in the neighborhood, Vino Volvo is perfect!Special Features:
- Vino Volo is a fun additionTapiocaDined on 2/1/2013Vino Volo is a fun addition to Bethesda Row's selection of food and drink, especially for adults looking for a lively place to enjoy the company of good friends. A Friday night bass and songstress is just what the neighborhood needed! And sampling from the flights of three glasses encourages you to taste freely from the menu of small bites as well, although entrees are also offered.The chief drawback of a wine bar in Bethesda is no surprise: MoCo restricts the variety that would be available in the District.Special Features:
- There is a limited menu, whichOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/27/2013There is a limited menu, which is okay, because every dish we tasted was outstanding. with very fresh ingredients simply prepared. Entrees come in two sizes, for small appetites and for sharing (two persons). Desserts are impressive. We were a party of four and it was fun to share a bunch of starters. Vino Volo is a wine bar, and if you are a wine drinker, be prepared to be faced with an enormous selection! Wait staff is knowlegeable about everything.Special Features:
- Small menu but everythingOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 1/26/2013Small menu but everything was really good. Fun wine flights. Definitely will return.Special Features:
- Delizioso!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 1/25/2013Vino Volo is a welcome addition to a rather tired and predictable restaurant scene in Bethesda. The wine flights, while not a new concept, are well presented and informative. The food is simple Italian fare, but expertly executed and the service on the night we went was outstanding. The finale of Mexican chocolate gelato still lingers in my mouth, delicious!Special Features:
- The place was cute and theJessDined on 1/20/2013The place was cute and the service was pretty good. The wine list was great, but there is a $12 corkage fee for each bottle of wine! I think we would have been happier with higher prices for the wine, but no corkage fee...it just felt like we were being nickle and dimed. There are better places to go though.Special Features:
- Great experience, will be back!AllyDined on 1/20/2013Went here for a birthday celebration on a Sunday night. Great experience from beginning to end. Arrived at 7:30 with a reservation, it wasn't very busy but it definitely started picking up the later it got. The food was excellent, and I believe I can speak on that because we ordered something from every section of the menu, including desert. The menu is limited compared to a regular restaurant and the portions at times were tiny, but I think that goes with the wine bar/cafe theme and we definitely did not leave hungry, or thirsty! We each tried several of the wine flights and enjoyed them all! This place was great for ordering a bunch of different things and sharing with everyone in your party. Already planning retrurn trip!Special Features:
- Excellent ambiance, food,OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 1/19/2013Excellent ambiance, food, and service. The waiters were especially attentibe. Food excellent (but I did want the Marrow Bones, which they were out of).Special Features:
- We will definitely come back!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/19/2013We loved Vino Volo - it was our first visit and we will definitely come back. The salmon and torte appetizers were great and we loved the pasta and monkfish entrees. The desserts (gelato and chocolate cake) were divine. We especially liked the wine flights - definitely a unique touch and wonderful complements to our food. They also gave us a nice treat when they found out it was my wife's birthday, which was a classy touch.Special Features:
- The feel of the restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/19/2013The feel of the restaurant was great. Fun atmosphere, live music & a great selection of wine flights. I think our server was too busy & distracted, it would have been nice to have a better explanation of the different wines to choose from along with the food. The food was good but they delivered it separately, so that was awkward so we sent back my meal and we asked to have them delivered together! After reheating my pasta, they forgot to add the sausage I requested... With that said, if the service doesn't get better I wouldn't recommend.Special Features:
- Nice wine selection (pricepipereatsVIPDined on 1/18/2013Nice wine selection (price and variety), tasty food, great ambiance. Not inexpensive but not outrageous for a wine bar in Bethesda.Special Features:
- I had a great time here onOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 1/11/2013I had a great time here on new year's eve. The food was great, the wines on the sommelier's list were outstanding, and the atmosphere was relaxed and inviting. I'll definitely be coming back soon.Special Features:
- Love to go to this place withOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 1/9/2013Love to go to this place with friends, hang out for a few hours,drink a variety of wines and sample a bunch of small plates. Love, love, love, the prices that only have a $12 corkage fee. This is becoming a regular spot for me.Special Features:
- Unfortunately I am not ableBDWdcVIPDined on 1/5/2013Unfortunately I am not able to write anything positive about our experience as this restaurant. The restaurant is impossible to converse to due extreme noise (and to add to the situation they have a jazz combo playing). I was presented a wine by the glass list and when I asked for a bottle list I was told that they would have to print one out...isn't this a wine restaurant? The menu was missing a page of wines and after waiting for some time we decided to leave and fortunately a class operation Newton's Table had one table available and we had a wonderful meal. Vino should stick with their airport operations, run don't walk away from this place.
- This was my second time there.LisaVIPDined on 1/5/2013This was my second time there. It was again very good. The food is tasty and the fact that you can order half portions is great. The big draw though, is the the wine. The flights are great. I had the California King the first time and all three wines were excellent. The Shades of White were good as well, though not quite as good as the first. But everything, including the Americano coffee, was well made. My only negative observation is that it can be very loud. They had live music and while it was very good, when you sit near the front, it can be very hard to hear the person across the table. I will definitely return and would definitely recommend it.Special Features:
- The food and wine here isOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 1/4/2013The food and wine here is amazing, but the service is spectacular. For a Friday night they became very busy to the point that the Kitchen got backed up. In lesser restaurants this might have been a cause for concern however the staff worked their butts off to ensure that all problems were fixed in a timely manner.Special Features:
- Second time here--this timeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/31/2012Second time here--this time for an early New Year's Eve dinner with our young adult kids. We didn't expect the special dinner for the occasion; we went there merely because we had enjoyed our first visit so much. But this evening was even better--magnicent wine selections plus delicious entrees, plus great, unobtrusive but helpful service. And the setting is warm and modern and cozy--just right to end what was for us a good year. We live nearby and will be creating excuses to drop in as often as possible!Special Features:
- A REALLY fun place, WONDERFUL winesDancingTasteBudsDined on 12/21/2012Great selection of Wine Flights by the Vino Volo staff. Lot's of energy in the restaurant, not a place for a quiet conversation, wonderful attentive staff and management.Special Features:
- the only observation is thatBetsyDined on 12/21/2012the only observation is that they ought to sell whole bottles of wine without the corkage fee. If the party wants a bottle, you have to buy it as if you were taking it home, and then pay the server to uncork it.
- Good to check outOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 12/19/2012Good wine selection, friendly staff a bit pricey. I've only been at the bar so don't know what table service is like. Convenient to Metro.Special Features:
- I was expecting somethinggourmandeDined on 12/18/2012I was expecting something much, much better after checking the menu as I walked by. Also, the band during the weekends gave it a nice touch, absent when I dined there on a tuesday evening. The food was completely forgettable.
- Went to Vino Volo on a SaturdayOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 12/15/2012Went to Vino Volo on a Saturday night and the first impression was how noisy it was! Luckily we were seated at the back of the restaurant and away from the live music. Having live music is a nice addition, but it did add to the overall noise level! The food was very good, especially the truffle penne. Very nice wine selection and we enjoyed trying different flites. They also have a nice wine shop, but check the prices as you can do better elsewhere for some labels. I would definitely go backSpecial Features:
- Charming but needs to evolveOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 12/10/2012Charming wine cellar style, attentive service and well paired wine flights at reasonable cost. Food fare is sparse, good but overpriced. Most annoying is $12 corking fee applied to their own wines, which must be bought from the store. Pleasant but needs some rethinking.Special Features:
- Interesting concept of flightsWineYahooVIPDined on 12/8/2012Interesting concept of flights of wine with small plates. Wines were excellent, food very good. A tad pricey, but trendy and the room was full. The room is LOUD; there was live music and every surface is hard. I mean LOUD. Owner was helpful finding our party as quiet a table as possible and indicated that he was having someone come in to help manage the sound issue.Special Features:
- Great addition to Bethesda!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 12/7/2012Vino Volo has a great wine list with only a $12 mark up. They have great small plates to accompany your food and the ambiance is fantastic. The staff is knowledgeable and attentive. I'll be back!Special Features:
- I';d seen these at airports,MeMeDined on 12/7/2012I';d seen these at airports, but never stopped. Big mistake! This was a very pleasant way to dine. They offer well-conceived flights of wines to sample, and a nice menu of small plates. I had a cheese/meat plate and a small 'gourmet' pizza. Both were really good. Waiter was knowledgable and very attentive. Only issue would be that the wines are a bit overpriced. The opportunity to sample several wines was a treat, thoughSpecial Features:
- This is a nice addition toZeldaVIPDined on 12/5/2012This is a nice addition to Bethesda. One can eat very well for a reasonable price. It's basically a wine bar and Cafe. They are very anxious to please, and on most items you can get a whole or half portion of an item. 1/2 portions are a good size. I feel they need more entrees at dinner and should include some sandwiches also.Special Features:
- very pleasant, ambient place.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/4/2012very pleasant, ambient place. limited but tasty menu. emphasis on selecting and purchasing wine from their store that you then pay $12 corkage to drink.Special Features:
- Loud, loud, loudOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/1/2012Great wine, good food that's nicely presented; nice space, but WAY too loud for any kind of conversation whatsoever - unless screaming is a form of conversation. (I was there on a Saturday evening.)For that reason, I can't recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Small dining area, so onceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/28/2012Small dining area, so once the crowds came in around 7 it got very very loud. Food was great, but I thought the wine was a bit on the expensive side.
- Great food! Great wine selection!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 11/16/2012Great food! Great wine selection! Fun and loud on opening night! Definitely a nice addition to Bethesda Row!Special Features: