Vino Volo - Bethesda
7243 Woodmont Avenue
Bethesda, MD 20814Neighborhood:
Bethesda / Chevy Chase
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Vino Volo - Bethesda
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.vinovolobethesdarow.com/
- Phone: (301)656-0916x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: 11:00am - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 11:00am - 12:00am. HAPPY HOUR: Monday - Friday, 4 - 7 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Wine Bar, Contemporary American, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Bebel Kim
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: Live music most Thursday nights! Check out our facebook page or stop by for a flight, glass, or bottle, and check it out!
- Special Events: - LADIES NIGHT EVERY WEDNESDAY
- HAPPY HOUR M - F 4 - 7 PM
- PRIVATE EVENT SPACE AVAILABLE
- PATIO SEATING - FIRST COME/FIRST SERVE
- Cross Street: Elm St.
- Public Transit: One block east of the Bethesda Metro station.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: VALET PARKING - At Woodmont avenue in front of Vino Volo
Available Daily at 5pm | $10
*$7 at sponsored restaurants
PUBLIC PARKING - There are 16 public garages or lots with over 6,600 spaces and 766 on-street meters within walking distance of the movies, shops and restaurants. Garage and lot public parking is FREE on Saturdays, Sunday and holidays.
A word from Vino Volo - Bethesda
Welcome to Vino Volo! We invite you to come join us for the best selection of wine in Bethesda, while pairing it with our incredible menu. Share a glass with friends in our cozy, warm atmosphere and experience the best service and wine knowledge in the city. We look forward to seeing you, and cheers!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerLate Night Find
Vino Volo - Bethesda - Best Restaurants in Bethesda / Chevy Chase ›
Vino Volo - Bethesda reviews from OpenTable diners
18 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
notable wine list (11)romantic (7)late-night find (7)neighborhood gem (6)good for groups (5)great for outdoor dining (5)special occasion (3)vibrant bar scene (2)fit for foodies (2)scenic view (1)hot spot (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Very disappointed in foodBetsyVIPDined on 8/2/2013Very disappointed in food and service. I left the restaurant hungry. I will not go back.
- Enjoyable, Affordable Wine shop/barNonicknameVIPDined on 7/20/2013There is a small menu a couple salads, a couple of pizzas, cheeses a dessert of the day. The real star is the wine tasting options. One special was three tastes of sparkling wine in addition to whites or reds.Special Features:
- Noise levelmartyDined on 7/18/2013The service and food were fine. On the otherhand, the noise level was unbearable. I couldn't heart myself breath.
- Had to serve ourselves!RHCZDined on 7/17/2013Not really sure what was going on, but I had to get up to: a.) get the waitress to take our orders b.) get the waitress to bring our orders c.) get the waitress to bring the correct orders d.) get the waitress to bring the check After a looooong night, you would think they would have comped one item off the menu to compensate for such lousy service. Nope. Not here. Will not go back.
- Very nice place for lunch.OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/10/2013Very nice place for lunch. Food was excellent with interesting mix of options. Prices were very reasonable- particularly for Bethesda.Special Features:
- Beastly hotDakotaVIPDined on 7/6/2013My wife and I were met by a surly host when we entered. He looked at his monitor screen and assumed we were a couple with a different name. When our correct name was provided he stated that we were late. We were 9 minutes passed our reservation time. We endured fair food, terrible service in a sweltering environment, being informed after we were seated that the restaurant was "working on the air conditioning situation".
- Delightful light dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/29/2013I stopped off here with my date for a quick bite before going to the theater. The service was prompt, the wine selection excellent (try a flight before choosing a bottle is a great way to go.) Dinner arrived on time, and the staff remained unflustered when we stayed a bit longer and ordered a dessert. Great location and delicious food make this a place I want to return to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Flights on the groundWineandFood4usDined on 6/23/2013Dining outdoors with good friends, good food, good wine on a clear beautiful night can't be beat. We could choose from small bites, good size salads, full entrees, and all could be ordered with a flight of wines to pair with the wonderful food. This was our second time and we were introducing friends to Vino Volo. All of us will be back. It's a wonderful concept, especially if you like wine-tasting as a hobby. Our waiter was very engaging and added to our enjoyable evening.Special Features:
- Vino Volo Lunch1marylandDined on 6/16/2013As the name indicates, this is a wine bar. While the food is fine, it is nothing spectacular. The chance to taste several different wines is the reason to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The menu is somewhat limited,OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/15/2013The menu is somewhat limited, but everything we ordered was delicious. Food portions were pretty good, so we felt it was a good value. The wine is overpriced, but that's true of almost all restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Wine & MenuOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/15/2013We enjoyed the flights of wine along with the creative menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A very nice place with a comfortablChasDined on 6/14/2013A very nice place with a comfortable vibe. Their flights of wines for comparison are just a bit pricey. Of course, what is not pricey in DC and Bethesda?Special Features:
- Interesting findAuntieBeeVIPDined on 6/13/2013They are still working on the menu but its a fun restaurant. Make sure to try a flight of wine. Half price happy hour 4-6 is a bargain!!! Make to get the steak sandwich at lunch!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It is the first place I'veOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/10/2013It is the first place I've eaten where I left hungry and had to eat another meal. I ordered the entre' roasted monk fish with asparagus. It was delicious but the portion was too small. The menu is very limited. It might work well in the airport but not as a restaurant. The staff was friendly but not attentive. Once fhe food was delivered, the waitress didn't check on us. We had to hunt them down to get our check and then again to get them to pay the bill.Special Features:
- Great but need to work out kinksChevyChaseDined on 6/7/2013We had a lovely evening at Vino Volo, enjoyed both the wine and the food. The service was a bit chaotic ( they mixed up tables and kept sending our food and wine to another table) and not as fast as it could be but overall we enjoyed our meal very much and our server was very nice and apologized for the confusion. We're glad they are in the neighborhood!Special Features:
- Lovely and kind service. WeOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/26/2013Lovely and kind service. We were in between lunch and dinner and enjoyed the quiet and excellent wine.Special Features:
- The wine flights are great,djustin11VIPDined on 5/25/2013The wine flights are great, very diverse. The smaller plate options allow you to pair the meal well. The overall wine list is very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vino Volo Has Hit Bethesda! Yeah!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/18/2013I've been a long time customer of Vino Volo at Dulles airport. I am so glad to see they are branching out with their entrance into the restaurant scene in Bethesda. Like excellent wines at great prices, enjoy flights of wine with wine notes, savor small bites that are creatively prepared, the VV is your kind of place.Special Features:
- Vino VoloSinniusViceDined on 5/14/2013Went to a Ch. Montelena tasting, and then got a couple of very generous pours of the zin and the cab for a nice price, along with a couple of excellent flatbread/pizza thingies and a spectacular truffled penne. They were pretty busy, but the service was good. Great food, good wine, nice place, friendly service, knowledgeable staff. Very competetive in the very competetive Bethesda food scene. Wines for sale to take home at a reasonable price, and standard corkage if you want to open them there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great wine tasting optionsOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 5/11/2013Wine flight selection was a treat. A great way to taste different wines without buying full glasses. Steak was tasty, but tiny and potatoes were dry and inedible. Waiter was really kind and pleasant, but seemed new to waiting. He used his hands to explain the size of the steak (couldn't find out an ounce weight) and didn't check on us about the meals. He did however tell us about the weekly wine tasting, which sounds like a great opportunity. I'd go for drinks again, but would debate dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid Wine, Light PortionsMatthewVIPDined on 5/9/2013If you appreciate tasty small plates and great wines, you'll have a terrific lunch here. I was a little surprised how little you get for $11 worth of some of the tastiest chili I've had in a very long time, but with 4 small crostinis, it seemed a little light event for lunch. Nonetheless, I wasn't particularly hungry, it was like 2 p.m. on a Thursday, the outside seating was lovely, and the Alto Adige Pinot Grigio was outstanding.Special Features:
- Great food, small portionsLuvyoga11Dined on 4/27/2013The food was excellent!.....however the portion are incredibly small. I'm 5'3" 113 lbs I had an appetizer and a whole main course and after I finished I had to order another half pizza to curb my hunger. My dinner mates felt the same way but everything was delicious. I would go back but I may have to have a snack before I go. :) the ambiance was great. They had a small band and the wines were terrific.Special Features:
- Fantastic restaurant; thepryornetVIPDined on 4/26/2013Fantastic restaurant; the wine flights represent one of those innovative ideas that actually are well done. Coupled with great ambiance, excellent food and good service, and it's a great place to go with a date. Only two negatives: while the live music was quite good, the volume was way too loud for a small restaurant. A small fix to reduce the volume by a few clicks, but well worth it. Second, while it advertises valet service, and their sign listed $7, it turns out that they are one of the few restaurants NOT to support the valets on the street, so an extra $3 was tacked on to the charge. Pretty steep, and not what was represented in ads, including Open Table.Special Features:
- Will ALWAYS come back!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/24/2013I love Vino Volo! It's conveniently down the street from my office and a good number of us are serious wine drinkers so we like to frequent it as much as possible! The food menu is good, nothing out-of-this-world amazing but great for a quick bite to have with the wine. The wine however, is great. The prices are extremely reasonable and their happy hour is awesome. Also, I love the staff- so attentive and helpful and knowledgeable about the product!Special Features:
- The gazpacho soup with shrimpOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/20/2013The gazpacho soup with shrimp was excellent, as was the Mahi-Mahi. The presentation of the wine and the pairings were also excellent. Really nice band playing on Saturday night, although a bit loud if you're sitting near them. We'll go again!Special Features:
- Good wine pairings, excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 4/20/2013Good wine pairings, excellent tacos/small-bites, tasty dessert. Live music on a Saturday night was a little loud.Special Features:
- went during restaurant week,yumyumVIPDined on 4/20/2013went during restaurant week, $30 for 3 courses. Shrimp gazpacho was light & refreshing & topped with about 5 small shrimps. Our party had the braised shortribs & mahi mahi. Both were tasty. The chocolate torte was warm and just the right size. We were expecting the Mexican spicy gelato to be spicy, but it just had a pronounced cinnamon taste. Because this was a wine shop & restaurant, the expectation was that we would order wine with each course. Since 3 of the 4 don't drink, the restaurant made us feel awkward only ordering 1 flight with dinner.Special Features:
- A Standout in Bethesda!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/17/2013Perfect dinner OUTSIDE last night at Vino Volo. Started with Malbec Madness - a flight of 3 smooth glasses of wine and amazing smoked salmon rolls with caper berries (First time tasting these. Crunchy and delicious.) Shared steak chimichurri and truffled penne. Excellent flavors! A standout restaurant amongst all the many Bethesda restaurants. I will be back as soon as possible.Special Features:
- Great spot, great small plates.bbg1776VIPDined on 4/16/2013Great spot, great small plates. Server was Patrick, he was wonderful. WOuld definitely go back.Special Features:
- It was a very busy night soOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 4/13/2013It was a very busy night so service was a little slow but the wait staff did their very best to keep up. Being able to order flights of wine was so much more interesting than a single glass. The food was interesting and delicious and the lemoncello tiramisu was absolutely divine!Special Features:
- A Splendid EveningOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/6/2013A relaxed and pleasant evening from beginning to end. Nothing like the usual frenetic Bethesda restaurant vibe. We appreciated the care and interest of the staff on the description and selection of some very interesting wines. Limited menu, but just the right variety and serving size. Live music was wonderful.Special Features:
- We love love love Vino Volo!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/16/2013We love Vino Volo - it's our new favorite restaurant. We will be back again and again. Seriously - the food, wine, atmosphere, and service are stellar.Special Features:
- Nice spot. Good food anddjustin11VIPDined on 3/9/2013Nice spot. Good food and a lively atmosphere. Outstanding, diverse selection of wine with some great flights to taste. The half portion option of pretty much everything on the menu allows you to sample lots of things and try different wine pairings. I would go back.Special Features:
- The servers were very friendlyOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 3/1/2013The servers were very friendly and attentive. The dinning area is small and bit conjested so reservations are a must. There is a nice wine bar area in the dinning area as well. There is I cork fee of $12 if you buy a bottle of wine for dinner. The menu is reasonable.Special Features:
- This was not my best experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 2/26/2013This was not my best experience at Vino Volo. I have been there often and also to their location at the airport. I asked for separate checks for my party of 6 three times. Once when I changed the reservation to a smaller party, again when I got there and again to the first waiter. When another waiter brought the check he said that we didn't tell him in time for seperate checks. Not true obviousy. So we each labeled what we bought and they nicely split it up. We all ordered two items. You would think the first would come out for all of us and then the second course. However it was all over the place in how we got it. Some people got both at once, some none, one person got their popcorn at then end. It was very weird.Special Features:
- Tasty but noisyAnnBDined on 2/23/2013We really enjoyed the music on Saturday night, but it was overwhelmend by the sheer sound of the restaurant. Noise level was deafening. We enjoyed both the flight of wine and the tapas-sized half portions of most items; or rather the very large tapas-sized portions.
- Bethesda needed Vino Volo!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/16/2013Charming server, excellent wine flight offers, fast service and delicious food. The truffle popcorn is reason enough to return!Special Features:
- Just fun and loe key and greatSfdcVIPDined on 2/16/2013Just fun and loe key and great food to go with wine!
- Not trying to catch a flight...PurveyorofFineFoodVIPDined on 2/9/2013We had a good experience at Vino Volo. The wine flights are a spectacular way to experience multiple wines so you can find one you like best. Two things we absolutely didn't like. 1) This Vino Volo restaurant is the first one not in an airport, but they brought our food out like we were late for a flight. We were still eating our appetizers when the main was delivered to our table. The courses were rushed rushed rushed. The food was good, but we are enjoying a night out - take your time! On the plus side, the waitress waited to bring our check for quite a while letting us sit, enjoy wine, dessert, coffee, etc. 2) The live music was TOO loud. This is a small space, and the music needs to be quieter.Special Features:
- Wonderful find, great food,OpenTable Diner Since 2001Dined on 2/8/2013Wonderful find, great food, great service and live jazz music, night we were there. Definitely will return.Special Features: