Hapa Sushi Grill and Sake Bar Lodo
1514 Blake Street
Denver, CO 80202Neighborhood:
Downtown / LoDo
SushiPrice: $30 and under
Hapa Sushi Grill and Sake Bar Lodo
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.hapasushi.com/
- Phone: 7203545058
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 5:30pm
Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese, Hawaiian
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Counter Seating, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
- Entertainment: Join us every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday night for live entertainment. Starting at 9:30pm to midnight every weekend, we have a live DJ spinning the latest tracks. Enjoy our late night happy hour including half off appetizers, cocktail specials, and 2 for $7 rolls from 10pm to midnight!!
A word from Hapa Sushi Grill and Sake Bar Lodo
The name Hapa is derived from the Hawaiian term that describes a harmonious blend of Asian and American cultures. Like our name, our food reflects this dynamic combination. The menu is based on traditional Japanese cooking fundamentals which are then amplified, muted, or mixed with influences from many different styles of cooking until they are something completely new: they’re Hapa. We have stretched the boundaries of creativity to develop dishes that defy all the rules while holding true to our roots. We hope you will find our menu innovative, uninhibited, and distinctly fun! Incomplete parties will not be sat until complete.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerLate Night Find
Hapa Sushi Grill and Sake Bar Lodo - Best Restaurants in Downtown / LoDo ›
Hapa Sushi Grill and Sake Bar Lodo reviews from OpenTable diners
33 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (12)great for lunch (11)fit for foodies (10)neighborhood gem (10)special occasion (7)late-night find (6)hot spot (6)romantic (3)kid-friendly (3)vibrant bar scene (3)notable wine list (2)great for brunch (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Didn't we order?DWC16Dined on 6/15/2013The service was slow, and when the food arrived, it arrived over about 5 minutes in fits and starts, There was only 2 of us, so it was not a lot of food. My hot saki arrived first and was cool. sent back to warm. sit there for 10 to 12 minutes and 2 dishes arrive, wait remind the waitress that we had more, in another 5 or so minutes the special of the evening arrived. Sad service from an attractive young lady who, I suspect, would rather not be there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loud, Busy, GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/14/2013Each of the rolls were consistent and good. The special sushi items were outstanding. It's a louder environment for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Up to parTy24Dined on 6/11/2013Overall a good sushi restaurant in Denver. It can be tricky to find good fish around here but Hapa does a good job with their offerings.Special Features:
- Happy Hour DEALOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/24/2013Their Happy Hour Sushi and cocktails are an excellent value - we always leave full for a lot less than sushi and drinks anywhere else!Special Features:
- We always go to the Hapa onOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/19/2013We always go to the Hapa on Pearl in Boulder and love the restaurant. The food was wonderful! Our server was very nice but was slow and had a hard time hearing us. Overall we had a great experience, but it is quite pricey.Special Features:
- Our waiter, Jeff, was amazing.OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 4/17/2013Our waiter, Jeff, was amazing. Between helping us decide on new sushi rolls and helping my fiancee' find a new type of whiskey to try, he knew it all and went above and beyond. Can't recommend him enough.Special Features:
- Other than the fact the restaurantRobertDined on 4/7/2013Other than the fact the restaurant had no record of our reservation, the dinner was fine. We enjoyed it very much, and would return again. (Open Table did clear this up and we were afforded our dining points.....thank you!)Special Features:
- Monkey Brain appetizer isOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 4/6/2013Monkey Brain appetizer is to die for. Food always rates a 5 out of 5.
- I had the sushi and it wasJulioDined on 4/6/2013I had the sushi and it was really good. the service was outstanding. the atmosphere was high energy. Great decor. Fun. will definitely go back again.Special Features:
- Just Good SushiOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/30/2013Everything was delicious. We ordered several rolls to share, and my husband had the Miso salmon which was also delicious. We would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great experience. The SushiOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/23/2013A great experience. The Sushi was amazing. The waiter was very knowledgeable and helpful when trying to decide on what to eat and drink. I was even given samples of different sake drinks so I got the one I liked the best.Special Features:
- A good but noisy placeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/16/2013Hapa Sushi is like so many "hardscaped" resturants these days. The multitude of hard surfaces make the place almost too noisy to enjoy. We only had sushi at Hapa and it was good. There are a few places in the Denver area that have better tasting sushi, and several that aren't as good. The service was good overall and the sushi took about an average amount of time to arrive at our table. Overall the prices seemed a little higher than I expected, but they weren't rediculous like some sushi places.
- perfect nightOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/9/2013I had a wonderful experience, the food was fantastic and the ambiance was perfect!Special Features:
- The 5280 menu was tasty andOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 3/7/2013The 5280 menu was tasty and one of the best values I've seen. The service wasn't great, although it seemed to be because the restaurant was understaffed.Special Features:
- Try the LoDo Store!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/6/20135280 was incredible again this year. Last year, I had a reservation at the Landmark store and it was great, but noisier due to the sheer size of the dining areas. Had no wait this time. We wondered how well this store in LoDo would do compared to the other Sushi restaurants nearby. I applaud HSG for taking on the challenge of opening in a space that historically has not performed very well. My favorite roll this time was the XXX Roll. My colleague gushed over the salmon poke starter. Since it was her birthday, we had candles on our toffee-sauced cake. Delicious Hawaiian-inspired Sushi!Special Features:
- We were pleasantly surprisedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/4/2013We were pleasantly surprised by the amount of food for $52.80. It was delicious and beautiful- grateful we went.
- Very good to excellent foodVictorDined on 3/4/2013Very good to excellent food and exceptional offering of sakes; but other choices in Denver for sushi-sashimi make this second tier. Perhaps for their Hawai'ian themed specialities they are higher in the overal pecking order.Special Features:
- The food and service was great.noneDined on 3/2/2013The food and service was great. We are glad they opened a place in LoDo.Special Features:
- The food was fantastic andrmbfisherDined on 3/2/2013The food was fantastic and the server was energetic, knowledge, and friendly.Special Features:
- Went with a group of 8 peopleOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/1/2013Went with a group of 8 people to Hapa downtown for "5280". Their menu offerings for restaurant week were generous, delicious, and overall a good value. We had a great experience there. We ate upstairs, our server was excellent. There was great music as well.Special Features:
- I will admit, I'm always acelchuVIPDined on 2/25/2013I will admit, I'm always a bit skeptical of getting Sushi in a land-locked state. But, Hapa more than exceeded my expectations. It was one of the better sushi places I've eaten, and I'm comparing it to restaurants in Seattle and San Diego. Outstanding food, ultra-friendly staff, and I'm very pleased we decided to go here, based on my client's recommendation. I will bring my wife here next time we're in Denver together!
- Great food - excellent service.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/23/2013Great food - excellent service. Great non sushi options too! A little loud, but good energy. The tempura banana desert was to die for! Went during restaurant week - really great value! Will go back again, with out it being restaurant week.Special Features:
- I've been to Hapa before,OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/23/2013I've been to Hapa before, so I already knew I liked the food. I'd never been to this location. It's comparable to their other locations, but what was cool about it was that the bar was downstairs and then the dining area was upstairs. It made the dining room a little more intimate, but it was cool because we could still see the bar downstairs from where we were sitting. It's a cool place that I would definitely return to.
- My husband and I went forOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/23/2013My husband and I went for 52.80 week, it was such a great deal, and as usually the food was AWESOME. The staff was great and event the vallet where great.Special Features:
- Great service food not so muchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/22/2013Service was great and our waitress was very nice and took care of us. The food on the other hand was over cooked or over fried? It was disappointing as we have eaten at the one in the Tech Center area and it was much better food. Lodo location needs help with quality of food.
- O Waiter, Where Art Thou?OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/16/2013Great restaurant, great sushi, great service....until our waiter disappeared! Highly recommended for your downtown sushi fix.
- We are fairly new to the sushiOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013We are fairly new to the sushi scene. Our waitress was very friendly and helpful in explaining different items to us. Noise level was a bit high, which made conversation difficult at times.
- Great Restaurant!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2013My girlfriend and I ate dinner here on Valentine's day. We were sat upstairs without delay, and she was even given a free rose. We got the crispy seared ahi as an appetizer. I like my meals hot, so I ordered the Yakiniku with chicken. My girlfriend ordered two sushi rolls (don't remember which ones). Everything was delicious. We enjoyed it so much, we went back recently. This time, we sat at the sushi bar on a weeknight. I wasn't too thrilled with the service, since our server was the bartender, and he was pre-occupied with the bar patrons. This time we shared the spicy tuna nachos, I ordered the Katsu curry, and she ordered a tuna-based roll. I didn't like the curry as much as the Yakiniku, but everything else was spectacular!
- Great service on ValentinesYRDaddyDined on 2/14/2013Great service on Valentines Day. Providing a rose to the females in the resturaunt was a nice touch. Food was great as well.Special Features:
- Girl interruptedOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/9/2013We had a sever that could did not read the her guests well. Evey 10 mins or so she would come by and ask is we want more drinks when she should have just poured the drinks. Then there was another server who kept doing the same thing. It was very intrusive and we couldn't enjoy the time at Hapa. I used to be a waiter too and normally tip really well if my guest and I hang out longer. We felt very rushed and constantly interrupted. It should not be the case, especially if we spent over 80 for 2 people. I would not recommend this place if you plan to enjoy dinner and a good dinner with your friends.
- Our first time to Hapa won'tLukaDined on 1/30/2013Our first time to Hapa won't be our last! The sushi was fresh and well prepared and the rolls were very creative! Service was excellent and we had a great evening. Wasabi was the best we have had at a sushi restaurant.Special Features:
- Not great enough to recommendOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/30/2013We found that 3 out of 4 rolls we ordered tasted too fishy - like they weren't quite right. We had the Hapa roll, rock n roll, shrimp tempura roll (the only good one) & the XXX roll. The soy sauce was SUPER salty (after a bit it occured to us that we may not have to endure this any longer and requested low sodium soy sauce). The key lime drinks we ordered didn't come w/ a graham cracker rim as described. When we asked about it - because really, that is what made us choose that drink in the 1st place, we were told that they were out of graham crackers. The one positive was the appetizers that we ordered - Hawaiian Sticky Finger ribs - awesome! Kaula Pork Peking Wraps were yummy. Edamame - fresh and with the right amount of salt.
- First timer and was VERY impressed!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/30/2013First timer and was VERY impressed! The food was excellent, best miso soup I can recall, loved the spicy tuna nachos! Service was excellent. The manager was very attentive as we'll, a nice touch.Special Features:
- Service could not have beenOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/29/2013Service could not have been better! And the food was delicous too!Special Features:
- The food was great and it'sOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 1/27/2013The food was great and it's a great location but our server barely paid attention to us and a dinner for two on a Sunday night lasted more than 2 hours because she kept forgetting about us. I would go for the food but if you don't have good service like what we experienced then I wouldn't go back.Special Features:
- I had only been to the Cherrydagunk1787Dined on 1/19/2013I had only been to the Cherry Creek location, and had inconsistent service and food. The downtown location gets it all right though, from layout (the top floor goes all the way through the building) to food. I'm not sure why this location would have noticeably better food (better chefs maybe? though I suspect there was a lot of cross over) but every roll we had we really well made and high quality. Will definitely be back to this location!
- It's been a long time sinceSJOKVIPDined on 1/16/2013It's been a long time since I've dined at the Boulder Hapa, but I have fond memories of the quality and service so I was excited when one opened up near my neighborhood. Unfortunately, I was disappointed with the quality and service. The veggie gyoza was bland and the veggies inside were unidentifiable (in other words, mashed up so much you couldn't distinguish what you were eating). Our hamachi roll was good and the fish tasted fresh. But our spicy tuna was awful. I like to eat tuna sashimi, so I know how good quality, fresh protein should taste. We couldn't even finish the roll. Our waiter was nice and friendly, but the service was slow. Seems they didn't have enough waitstaff for how busy it was this particular Tuesday evening.
- Wasn't thrilled that two couplesOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/13/2013Wasn't thrilled that two couples brought toddlers to an adult dining place. Alas . . . Otherwise the food is fresh and delicious. Good service. Nice ambiance - without the kids.Special Features:
- Still in love with Hapa. 1stOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 1/12/2013Still in love with Hapa. 1st time at the LoDo location, and we were impressed. Quick service, staff helped each other by delivering food and clearing plates. Sushi fish very fresh! Best miso. Gyoza had a nice sear to add crunch. Highly recommend the rich creamy monkey brain appetizer that was balance of avocado, crab, and tuna.
- the food was amazing, theOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/9/2013the food was amazing, the selection was great, the prices very reasonable. A great place for happy hour!Special Features: