Stars Restaurant - Rooftop & Grill Room
495 King Street
Charleston, SC 29403Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Stars Restaurant - Rooftop & Grill Room
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://starsrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 8435770100x
- Hours of Operation:
Bar Hours: 4pm-2am, 7 days a week
Sunday- Thursday: 5:00pm-10:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm-11:00pm
Saturday Brunch: 10:30am-2:00pm
Sunday Brunch: 10:30am-2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, American, Californian
- Executive Chef: Nathan Thurston
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Dancing, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Stars Restaurant - Rooftop & Grill Room
Stars Rooftop & Grill Room brings the art of live fire cooking to Charleston. Executive Chef Joe Dimaio exemplifies an artistic appreciation for live fire cooking by focusing on the details of each dish – the seasoning, balance, pairing and presentation. The restaurant has a full bar and grill room on the first floor and event space on the second floor. The rooftop bar has a 360-degree view of downtown Charleston and can accommodate up to 140 people. Dedicated to serving locally sourced food within 100 miles of Charleston, Stars’ food and beverage menus are fresh and seasonal. Stars brings a new tradition of open flame cuisine to Charleston and is not to be missed.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Stars Restaurant - Rooftop & Grill Room - Best Restaurants in Downtown Charleston ›
Stars Restaurant - Rooftop & Grill Room reviews from OpenTable diners
152 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
special occasion (79)vibrant bar scene (74)good for groups (68)fit for foodies (66)hot spot (56)romantic (40)notable wine list (38)scenic view (31)neighborhood gem (30)late-night find (26)great for brunch (24)great for outdoor dining (10)great for lunch (9)kid-friendly (6)Show More
- No food service on roofOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/2/2014Bread was not offered. Meats were tender but very small portions.Special Features:
- Charleston hotspotKmillDined on 4/1/2014Visiting this city has been an experience in dining and drinking ......this is a great place for both !! It's off the typical dining area of the city and is a little walk into the area near the college .....worth the trip - lots of great eclectic places there. Our waiter was awesome, his suggestions were spot-on and the food was one of the best meals we had while visiting this city, and we were all over the city. Rooftop bar was also great.....do not miss!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gourmet BrunchJasWilliamsVIPDined on 3/30/2014Fantastic, unique with great twists on traditional brunch fare. Will go back for brunch and likely dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great atmosphere and servicefoodieDined on 3/29/2014Wonderful remake of an old clothing store on upper king. We tried the smoked bacon tatertots and the mushroom crostini for starters and were really impressed. Very tasty. We had a seat with a view of the open kitchen, which was fun since it had all kinds of cool gadgets. We tried their wine on tap, which were all good. The main courses - trout, swordfish, duck and lobster also good. The best was probably the duck. The dishes were all beautifully presented and perfectly cooked - they just were sort of bland and so a tad bit disappointing. Desserts were good, although the creme brulee was soupy. Our server was very attentive, interesting and quick. The manager found out it was my birthday, and comped my dessert - nice touch.Special Features:
- Stars Never DisappointsdctochsVIPDined on 3/29/2014Despite being a local I unfortunately don't make it to upper King as often as I'd like, but Stars is one of those places I always make time for when I have out of town guests. Their mushroom bruschetta and kale salad are amazing, the black garlic ribs and every fish entree I've tried have been delicious (I mourn the loss of the truffled chicken pot pie though, let's bring that back!). The Ft Sumter Julep is one of my favorite cocktails in the city! The service is always attentive. It can get a bit crowded and loud up at the rooftop bar, the views are stunning but I prefer the atmosphere of the dining room. My mother was in town last week and she enjoyed her dinner at Stars so much we returned for brunch the very next day!Special Features:
- Good ambiancebooofferDined on 3/25/2014Downstairs dining area is a little upscale without the feel of needing to be dressed up. Food was tasty and the roof top bar is a perfect spot before or after dinner. Great location tooSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great rooftop bar, food just okOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/22/2014Wife and I went about an hour before our reservation to spend some sunset time in the rooftop bar. Great bar with great bartending and atmosphere. Our dinner downstairs inside wasn't anything better than "ok" though. The service and ambiance were very nice, but the food was forgettable (not "bad," but not worth the price)Special Features:
- Food was very good. The bartenderGoodfoodaholicVIPDined on 3/22/2014Food was very good. The bartender makes an unusual Manhattan, with lots of cinnamon taste. It was good for a change, but I wouldn't want it each time. Our reservation was for 7:15. We arrived at about 5 minutes to seven and were required to cool our heels until about 7:20, even tho there were open tables. Would have preferred to have our drinks at our table, but the lady at the front desk was unwilling to accommodate our request.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Home run for my parentsGregVIPDined on 3/22/2014I took my parents to Stars for dinner, and it was a big hit. My mom and dad both loved the food, the service, and the atmosphere. My mom commented that the restaurant reminded her of a luxurious nightclub. She had the steak sliced thin, and said it was delicious. I was happy to see the grilled octopus appetizer, and I was not disappointed. The bartenders are quite skilled, as I started my meal with a sazerac. I understand that Stars has a buffet brunch on the weekends, and I'd like to return for that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First timeFoodFanaticVIPDined on 3/22/2014It was a great evening. . Despite running late and my husband trying to find a parking place for over an hour. The Stars parking lot opened up. We were not aware that eh had one. However, finally parked. The girls at the front desk were terrific and made me feel comfortable with all that transpired. We were seated at a very nice booth and had a super waiter by the name of David. Very nice looking with a great personality. Was very knowledgable in regard to what he felt was a great recommendation what to have for dinner. Food was wonderful and we look forward to returning and trying different items on the menu. Highly recommend.Stars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spotFitgrl817Dined on 3/21/2014Nice rooftop, great dining room staff. A pleasure.........Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Right inside tables. FoodBetsyDined on 3/20/2014Right inside tables. Food was great. Enjoyed the scallops. Great dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible ServiceGingerABGDined on 3/19/2014We didn't have a drink for 45 minutes. We received our appetizer and it was wonderful but I wanted a bottle of white wine and it was warm. They didn't offer us another drink while we waited for our wine to chill or offer us another kind of white wine while waited either. So we left because if I can't get a drink for 45 minutes....something is wrong with this restaurant/bar.Special Features:
- A Tastu TreatFoodyDined on 3/18/2014The food is innovative and well prepared and delicious. The decor is very pleasant and the rom is large and uncrowded. The service is excellent. a real gem!Special Features:
- Sunday BrunchJWSchuttDined on 3/16/2014Great time with our son and daughter-in-law for Sunday brunch. Variety and quality of the food was great. Had to wait for the shrimp & grits to be replentished, but well worth the wait. All-in-all, a great meal and great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent choice in CharlestonOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/15/2014We had a superb dinner at Stars Restaurant last weekend. We took a group of 8 people and they were very accommodating. Although it was difficult to seat us at our reservation time of 9:00, the manager came to speak to our table and offer free appetizers for our wait. Waiting was a pleasure as we went to the rooftop and had drinks. I had The Sirens Retreat martini which was delicious if you like unique drinks with a jalapeño heat kick. Dinner was the big treat. Each of the eight of us ordered different meals and each was perfectly cooked and delicious--- Lobster & grits, Diver Scallops, Kale Salad, Salmon,.... Even the burger was phenomenal. We definitely will be returning. Great experience and highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great burgers served by waitersneedforpeaceDined on 3/14/2014great burgers served by waiters in white coats and tiesSpecial Features:
- Cozy and DeliciousFood4PlentyDined on 3/14/2014We were pleasantly surprised to find a new favorite restaurant. From the atmosphere to the service to the food and presentation, it was all great. Our table ordered fish and steak, which were both wonderful. We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, nice barEnjoyerofFoodDined on 3/14/2014We enjoyed our dinner here, although we spent more time at the rooftop bar area. A very nice restaurant and the food was fantastic.Special Features:
- Monday night special ....LyndaDined on 3/10/2014Our group of 5 got there around 6 and went up to the rooftop for cocktails ... What a fun time. The sun was out, the breeze was warm. Friendly people all around ... Went downstairs for dinner around 7 .... The Monday night special 3 courses for $30 was great. Service was lots of fun.... We had a very good time and would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite Dining ExperienceCaseyDined on 3/8/2014This was without a doubt, my favorite dining experience in quite some time. The food was the very best and the creativity and presentation of each offering was superb. There were four in our party and each ordered something different so we could all taste a little, each one was uniquely fabulous in taste. We first dined on a Saturday and had their brunch and the grits were out of this world. We enjoyed our visit so much, we made dinner reservations for the next evening's dinner. The bone-in ribeye was a table favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty good overallLuvCHSDined on 3/7/2014Overall our dining experience was good. We enjoyed our wine selections and the staff was polite. Only issue we had was with one of the meals came incorrect and it was sent back to be corrected, but came out too rare again. She was unable to eat her meal since everyone else was already done at that point and there would be no time to send it back again. Other than that the other meals were good and the atmosphere nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great timeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/1/2014great food, great service, looking forward to going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super restaurantwm1993Dined on 3/1/2014We loved this place. The food was outstanding...the service was even better than that. Every course was customized to our specific needs... Four in your group? we will get you 1.5 of your appetizer so there is enough to go round. Split the salad, NO PROBLEM. Add scallops to your risotto, SURE, would you like 1, 2 or 3???? 24 wines on tap available by the glass and a great view off the outdoor rooftop bar. Would definately go again nd reccomment. BEST CRABCAKE EVER!Special Features:
- Second VisitLocalDined on 2/26/2014We loved it the first time and it did not disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very enjoyableGetawayDined on 2/21/2014We had heard great things from friends about the restaurant . Food and service was great. It was fun to enjoy some wine on the roof top. So glad we were able to enjoy this experience in Charleston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- More than impressedJBobVIPDined on 2/20/2014Decided on this restaurant while in Charleston after reading the reviews on Open Table! We were looking for something romantic and different and we were not disappointed! Our food was wonderful, the waitress adorable - just the perfect night for us. A nice walk from the Doubletree. We WILL be back and highly recommend this restaurant to everyone!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This dining experience wasOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/16/2014This dining experience was nothing out of the ordinary. So many wonderful places to try in Charleston....would not return to this one.
- The MOST Outstanding ServicecutlgtnDined on 2/15/2014Most notable was the servie. On the spot but not overbearing. Not to take away from the food, but the wait staff made the difference. On the food side, you have to try the tater tots (I know what you are thinking), they are SO good. We had the steak and the butternut squash entrees. Both very good. It is a little noisy so not so much for a quiet romantic dinner but excellent for an evening out. Didn't make it to the rooftop. Next trip!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We visited Saturday nightGoGoDined on 2/15/2014We visited Saturday night during SEWE, and were very happy with our experience. The mushroom bruschetta is a knockout, as well as the house specialty hamburger. Each one in our party of four loved their choice. A great night out - we will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place to check outLongshot514Dined on 2/15/2014Very nice place, great service and ambience. Food was okay, not enough for the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!OddAngelDined on 2/14/2014Great food, impeccable service, great rooftop bar! This was my first dining experience at Stars, though I've been to the rooftop bar on several occasions. Not a single complaint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great mealCharlestonDinerVIPDined on 2/14/2014We are drawn to Stars for the food, artisan wine, and the knowledgable staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentine's Day Made PerfectPlace2bDined on 2/14/2014As expected, Stars delivered a fabulous evening filled with delectable dishes (the smoked mushroom and kale bruschetta was a dream), great wine and the usual "downtown vibe" made for an amazing evening with great friends! We'll be back again!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- one of the bestJeffDined on 2/6/2014Quite possibly one of the top two or three dining experiences we have ever had, anywhere. My wife and I have been fortunate to have enjoyed nearly all of the Charleston restaurants several times over during the last 14 years and Peyre and his team have assembled a highly organized, efficient, polished and delightful place. Austin, our primary server, is the model for all others who aspire to provide the utmost in a fine dining experience. His suggestions, attention to detail and gracious demeanor made the whole evening well beyond expectations. If late in the evening and fully booked, the upstairs bar becomes a mob scene so plan accordingly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Why Don't We Come Here More Often?HeatherVIPDined on 1/31/2014That is what I was asking myself at dinner. We drink on the rooftop fairly frequently, but rarely come for dinner. We should! It's consistently wonderful - awesome food with several vegetarian options, great service, fun atmosphere. Noted - we'll be going more often! Love this place.Special Features:
- Sharing Food with FriendsChuckDined on 1/31/2014We had such a great time visiting with our friends and sharing great food. Our server was exceptional and very knowledgeable about the menu and the wines. We had come to Stars last year during Restaurant week and wanted the experience of your normal menu. We always recommend this restaurant to others and will continue to do so. We each had different plates and shared some so we could experience all the flavors! We ordered the mussels as an appetizer and honestly we wanted to lick the bowl that coriander sauce was delightful. I had the salmon and enjoyed it , My friend had the ribs and loved them. We also had the Steak and scallops and everyone was pleased. We will definitely be back next year on our yearly visit!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but prices high.BwoodsDined on 1/25/2014Food was exceptional to me, while we had one in our party that did not think the risotto was tastey. My wife and I spent $250 with two glasses of wine each (not the bottle). Next time we'll probably check the back side of the menu instead of going steak and lobster. Overall, I would highly recommend the restaurant, food and service--at a cost.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good as alwaysAllyDined on 1/24/2014I went here with a friend for dinner. The wait staff was attentive, but not overly attentive. I love the roof top bar, but it was FREEZING up there so we had to come back down. The food is always good and more than enough. Dessert is amazing! Try the Smore pie. It's becoming a favorite spot of mine.Special Features:
- great service - interesting itemsFrolickinginfl1VIPDined on 1/22/2014with nice mix of flavors. We ordered all appetizers to try more items instead of the big plate offerings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.