Stars Restaurant - Rooftop & Grill Room
495 King Street
Charleston, SC 29403Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Stars Restaurant - Rooftop & Grill Room
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://starsrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 8435770100x
- Hours of Operation:
Bar Hours: 4pm-2am, 7 days a week
Sunday- Thursday: 5:00pm-10:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm-11:00pm
Saturday Brunch: 10:30am-2:00pm
Sunday Brunch: 10:30am-2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, American, Californian
- Executive Chef: Nathan Thurston
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Dancing, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Stars Restaurant - Rooftop & Grill Room
Stars Rooftop & Grill Room brings the art of live fire cooking to Charleston. Executive Chef Joe Dimaio exemplifies an artistic appreciation for live fire cooking by focusing on the details of each dish – the seasoning, balance, pairing and presentation. The restaurant has a full bar and grill room on the first floor and event space on the second floor. The rooftop bar has a 360-degree view of downtown Charleston and can accommodate up to 140 people. Dedicated to serving locally sourced food within 100 miles of Charleston, Stars’ food and beverage menus are fresh and seasonal. Stars brings a new tradition of open flame cuisine to Charleston and is not to be missed.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Stars Restaurant - Rooftop & Grill Room - Best Restaurants in Downtown Charleston ›
Stars Restaurant - Rooftop & Grill Room reviews from OpenTable diners
152 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
special occasion (78)vibrant bar scene (74)good for groups (69)fit for foodies (66)hot spot (56)romantic (40)notable wine list (38)scenic view (32)neighborhood gem (30)late-night find (26)great for brunch (24)great for outdoor dining (10)great for lunch (9)kid-friendly (6)Show More
- brunch at starsjosephmunnDined on 5/10/2014the food is fantastic. The shrimp and grits may be the best I have ever eaten.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Graduation BrunchMomsonDined on 5/10/2014Had a party of 5. Got right in. The omelet station was very slow and the food was not done! Had to ditch the omelet for the buffet stuff -not terrible!Special Features:
- Disappointing ExperienceBradderDined on 5/9/2014Our group made a reservation a month ahead of time knowing this weekend would be busy for Charleston. We arrived 15 minutes early, checked in, and made our way to the rooftop bar for a drink, which was a pleasant experience. We went down to the hostess at the time of our reservation and she told us the table was almost ready. Fifteen minutes later six of us were still standing in the entryway of the restaurant. Twice we asked if we should go back upstairs to wait and were told no. We were seated twenty minutes after our original reservation time and again service was slow. The waiter was pleasant but didn't check in very often after taking our order. Food was good, however the overall experience was a big disappointment.
- An evening at StarsbrightwayDined on 5/6/2014When we recently visited Charleston, we were told that we must go to Stars for dinner and go to the roof top bar because it was the coolest. The whole place was cool - literally - I mean we nearly froze!. It had been a hot day and we had an 8:30 reservation for two. We went about an hour early so we could go to the roof. It was nice, but seemed a bit over-hyped. We were never waited on, and had to wait at the bar, hoping to be seen, just to order. The only place to sit was on a two-seat bench, which was nice, but it was fronted by a table featuring a dirty ashtray. We went downstairs and our table was nice. The atmosphere reminded me of a scene from Mad Men, which I thought was cool. Then we began to freeze. Way too cold in there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JanetDined on 5/4/2014The food was great for brunch, many choices. Our waiter was also great. It was the perfect place to celebrate a birthday and anniversary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special AnniversarySaltysailorDined on 5/1/2014I reserved a table at Stars for a special wedding anniversary dinner, and when I mentioned the occassion, the host made a special effort to have flowers on the table and a chilled bottle of Proseco waiting for us. We arrived early enough to enjoy a cocktail on the scenic rooftop bar. For dinner. We shared tasty, crisp kale salad followed by nightly specials of halibut for my wife and the the thick pork chop from the rotisserie for me. Both disshes were excellent, with tasty veggies and garnishes. We topped the night off with the coconut cake including a chocolate "Happy Anniversary" message on the edge of the plate. Stars made our anniversary extra special, and we'll definitely come back!Special Features:
- dinner for 3birdeatsDined on 5/1/2014The dining experience began well but deteriorated as the evening progressed. We arrived and were seated promptly and service was attentive for drinks and appetizers. It took forever to get our dinners, though. Also, the restaurant became so noisy and loud that we were yelling to have conversation. Food was ok-I hadn't realized it was a southern themed restaurant so there weren't too many things on the menu that appealed to me. The people I was with also thought their food was ok-nothing special.Special Features:
- Great as usualwakebrinaDined on 4/29/2014We brought out of town guests for rooftop drinks and dinner, and it was great as always! Never disappoints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic dinnerbrepaireDined on 4/26/2014Our server, Shady (unsure about spelling?) was fantastic. On the ball, great personality and knowledgable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectionKitkatDined on 4/24/2014My daughter and I had a lovely meal on our last night in Charleston. We saved the best for last and our waiter David was top drawer. Be sure to try the crab soup.Special Features:
- Disappointed with the foodElizabethDined on 4/24/2014My salmon was over cooked and very dry. The potatoes on the side were undercooked and i couldn't eat several of them. My husband's bone-in ribeye for 50 dollars was chewy and bland. Outback steaks would top that steak any day. The brussel sprout leaves were overlooked to a literal crisp and tasted like air. The coconut layer cake was dry and i would not recommend it. Service was very good though and my run punch cocktail was great.Special Features:
- Grilled Falling StarHowitwasDined on 4/23/2014My husband and I arrived promptly at 8:30.The hostess did not welcome us. She said she was working on our table and scurried off without asking our name. The dinning area was not full. She sat us at an oversized booth right next to the kitchen. We stared at five empty booths and four tables in better locations. My husband joked. "What did we do wrong." The mistake we made was going to Stars. The food was good, but the portions were tiny. We split a steak at Hall's after our dinner! The service was shameful. Unprofessional, rude wait staff, incompetent bartenders, all until the truth comes out! We are locals! Suddenly the service improves and the any attempt to be proffessional evaporates. This places doesn't deserve to be in Charleston.
- Not a great experiencePatticakeDined on 4/23/2014Very pretty restaurant with a friendly waitstaff. I had the fish of the day and it was delicious and perfectly complemented the grits and greens. My daughter had the beef tenderloin and it was beautifully presented but not very tasty for a teenager-she didn't think it was that tender and my husband agreed with her. My son enjoyed the lobster special but my husband's salmon arrived on lukewarm grits and he thought the fish was boring and not very tasty. All in all it was not worth the money. Definitely our least favorite meal during our week in Charleston.Special Features:
- FantasticKristen82Dined on 4/21/2014Great food, great service, great location and fantastic views of Charleston!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Accommodating, nice eveningFakePartyDined on 4/21/2014On a Monday night they easily accommodated an extra person in our party. Business dinner, so didn't check out wine list. Butternut squash with duck confit was remarkable, other entrees delicious but not remarkable. Desserts were remarkable, so save room!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EnjoyableCarolDined on 4/20/2014My husband and I took friends here for Easter dinner. None of us had ever been here before, and I had heard good reviews about it. We did not get seated upstairs in the rooftop area (it was pretty blustery anyway), so I really only know about the bottom floor. A huge bar seems to take up most of it with booth seating on both sides and small tables to the front. Not too much by way of ambience. I'm sure the upstairs is probably better for that. But the service was wonderful; the staff extremely attentive and personable. Very thorough in explaining the menu. The food was amazing, well presented, and served as soon as it was ready - not waiting under heat lamps. We found this restaurant to be a bit pricey, but we enjoyed it all!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Easter BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/20/2014Loved that it was a buffet, but still 5 star quality food. Great price. We would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Almost perfectVonnVIPDined on 4/20/2014The brunch was amazing except for one very important thing. The biscuits were so dry, I almost choked on it. A restaurant of this caliber in the south should be able to make a great biscuit for their brunch menu.Special Features:
- Very Good BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/20/2014We are locals, and dined here for Easter brunch at this newer restaurant on a now-hip part of Upper King street. We were very impressed by the excellent quality of the food at the buffet, and the variety and selection were more than adequate. The booths were comfortable and we saw a number of families with children present as well. The atmosphere was open and lively yet comfortably stylish and modern. We understand the restaurant serves a similar weekly Sunday brunch. It is not inexpensive at around $25 but it is worth it given its quality and presentation. We recommend this restaurant and will definitely return.Special Features:
- Easter Brunch was greartOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/20/2014The buffet for Easter was really delicious. The biscuits amazing. The Kale Salad was so wonderful - I would love to have the dressing receipt. Shrimp and Grits, Fried Chicken Benedict, made to order omelets (they even have us a form to mark what you wanted on your omelet at the table - which the waiter took and they delivered to the table!) The only issue we had was stuffing 8 people into a booth. We arrived a few minutes early for the reservation at the start of brunch when they were mostly empty - first wanted us to sit at the front door - after request moved us in by 2 booths. The booth would have been tight for 6 people - 8 people sliding in and out for brunch was a not comfortable. Really was not a reasonable seating arrangementSpecial Features:
- Stars has a great brunchmwriemanDined on 4/19/2014They have some great items on their brunch buffet. Their French toast is out of this world, the fried chicken eggs benedict is usually great (the egg was a little undercooked this time), and their omelet station is outstanding. We really enjoy Stars for brunch.Special Features:
- All-around great experienceDiningCharlestonVIPDined on 4/18/2014Booked a table for my girlfriend and her family and they loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- major disappointment.PeterjgDined on 4/17/2014food was mediocre. Food was cold. Service was mediocre. There was no attempt made 2 make our experience any better than it was. I would not recommend this restaurant to any other people.
- foodluverDined on 4/17/2014First time at Stars. The food was OK and the noise level was moderate. A bit disappointed after reading the resounding reviews
- Second Time Dining HerebustoswjDined on 4/14/2014Was able to get a same day reservation. Food was outstanding. Had the bacon tater tots as an appetizer, they were outstanding. The rest of the meal was excellent. I had the Stars' Room Grill Steak, it arrived with black truffle grits which were almost as good as the steak. The bacon braised mushrooms were the highlight of the meal. Would recommend to all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My man AustinSalRDined on 4/12/2014Been to a couple of Sunday brunches and have been wanting to do dinner, finally Friday night we did. It was all to good to be true. These guys have nailed it!!!!. From the apps to desert everything was top shelf. For my main dish, I had probably the best Trout I have ever had in my life. Thanks again Austin, your the man.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, but too loudskw7680Dined on 4/12/2014Late night reservation on a Saturday night was really loud, but we did have plenty of 'people watching' with people going up and down from the rooftop bar. Food was overall very good, a few dishes cold and they had run out of the 28 day aged steak I wanted to order, but overall very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and service were excellent.MVogtDined on 4/12/2014Food and service were excellent. The rooftop bar crowd resembled the kind of crowd you'd find on a Carnival Cruise which made the atmosphere in the restaurant pretty much unbearable. This was my second time going to Stars and my recommendation for anyone is to request a seat on the opposite side of the room from the rooftop bar access.Special Features:
- Dining for birthday dinnerDeliciousDined on 4/12/2014We took my mom for dinner here and the food was excellent. Austin was our server and he couldn't be more on point. I was able to have a bottle of pinot grigio waiting for us at the table when we arrived! My mom thought that it was a nice touch and really appreciated it. For appetizers we got the mushroom bruschetta, fried bacon tater tots, and the lumped crab cake. I was not a fan of the tater tots but the bruschetta was delicious! For dinner I got the Flounder fish special that was cooked in a light curry/honey sauce which was amazing! My sister and dad got the lobster grits and they both cleaned their plates. My mom got the scallops and my sister's boyfriend got the steak. All of the entrees were delicious! I would definitely go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousEl8500VIPDined on 4/10/2014This restaurant is a hidden treasure. It is lively, active and also has a beautiful menu! The kale salad was beyond belief fantastic! My dining companion thoroughly enjoyed the oysters. Our server was very attentive and very knowledgeable as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mediocreLoemeinDined on 4/5/2014Stars was a huge, huge disappointment. The biggest issue was the food, which was nothing special. There was a mushroom bruschetta appetizer which was very good but all six entrees at our table were either just okay or not very good. One, the lobster and grits, was barely warm. All in all, not a very good restaurant. And, the noise level where we sat made conversation very difficult.
- Good restaurant in Charleston!businessDined on 4/5/2014Stars was good - good dinner (not outstanding, but good), ample portions, get a salad and split it - it's huge! Waiter was a bit grumpy - turns out he was very tired so they need to figure that out. We finally had additional staff helping our needy table of 6 and they rallied to please my parents (thank you). We valet parked - key!!...worth every bit of the $5 by eating there we were escorted to the rooftop bar - get there by 9:30 to get a seat. it was beautiful! fun night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentWizardDined on 4/5/2014My first time dining here, and it was one of the best meals I have ever eaten. The atmosphere is much more laid back and loud/energetic, but thr food was on part with Peninsula GrilleSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty awesome~OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/5/2014I went here for prom and as expected, we were the only prom couple there. It is definitely centered around the bar but it was nice that the people who were drinking were mostly on the rooftop rather than around is while we were eating. The food was excellent and we definitely recommend the oyster appetizer!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellence in every wayScc1070Dined on 4/4/2014Everything was amazing, from the moment we walked in the door we were treated as special guests. We arrived about 10 minutes before our reservation on a super busy Friday night. We went to the rooftop bar and were notified within minutes that our table was ready. This was the night before the Bridge Run and the restaurant and entire city were filled to capacity. However the level of service and quality of the food we received was as if it were a dull Monday night. Stars has perfected the fine dining experience. Everyone we came in contact with was perfect, from the hostess to our server Kevin. Even the manager Chris stopped by our table as well as other tables several times to make sure everything was perfect, and it was.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NoisyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/4/2014Had a table for 7. I think they should invest in some kind of acostics to fix the noise level. Very hard to hear people sitting with me at the table. Food portions little for the money. No bread :-(Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty but noisyIntoGoodFoodVIPDined on 4/4/2014We really liked Stars food (excellent really) and the wait staff were attentive and very professional. However, the noise level was out of this world. It was just too, too, too noisy. The sounds echoed everywhere. Lots of people shouting above the noise and music periodically pushing through. We were shooting too cause we couldn't hear. They should make it clear that there is NO dinning outside just drinks. The website makes it appear that there's roof deck dinning.Special Features:
- The food was great, and theOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/4/2014The food was great, and the servers were well trained. The wine and beverage list was long and ample, but the restaurant was very noisy.Special Features:
- Apps were awesomeCharlestoneatsDined on 4/2/2014Great food. Appetizers were really good and unique. Mushrooms and bacon tator tots! Entree selection had a lot of variety. Burger was as good as any I've had. Really great food all around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No food service on roofOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/2/2014Bread was not offered. Meats were tender but very small portions.Special Features: