Prepkitchen Del Mar
1201 Camino del Mar
Del Mar, CA 92014Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Prepkitchen Del Mar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.prepkitchen.com/
- Phone: 8587927737x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch -- Monday Through Friday 1130am-3pm
Brunch -- Saturday & Sunday 10am-3pm
Sunset Menu Daily --- 3pm-5pm
Dinner Daily -- 5pm-9pm
Happy Hour Daily 3pm-6pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, American
- Executive Chef: Ryan Johnston
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Delivery, Farm to Table, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Prepkitchen Del Mar
With an eye to the ocean, Prepkitchen Del Mar is located in the heart of Del Mar on the corner of Camino Del Mar & 12th street. Recently named San Diego’s “Best Outdoor Dining” spot by San Diego Citybeat readers, Prepkitchen Del Mar offers exceptional sun-kissed patio seating in addition to its indoor dining room. Similar to its sister locations – Prepkitchen La Jolla & Prepkitchen Little Italy – Del Mar serves artisanal, farm-to-table cuisine in a casual, sociable environment.Continued
Prepkitchen Del Mar serves lunch and dinner daily, as well as brunch on the weekends, which includes happy hour priced mimosas & $1 coffee.
Prepkitchen Del Mar serves lunch and dinner daily, as well as brunch on the weekends, which includes happy hour priced mimosas & $1 coffee.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Prepkitchen Del Mar - Best Restaurants in Del Mar ›
Prepkitchen Del Mar reviews from OpenTable diners
99 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (69)fit for foodies (62)neighborhood gem (59)great for lunch (27)romantic (26)special occasion (24)scenic view (22)great for brunch (21)hot spot (19)kid-friendly (18)good for groups (17)notable wine list (11)late-night find (8)vibrant bar scene (3)Show More
- I'd be a regular if I lived closertn2latomVIPDined on 6/29/2014I travel to San Diego about once a month for business and always stay in Del Mar. I try to go to Prep Kitchen each visit, and sometimes I go more than once. I think the service is always great, they seem to really care about what they are doing. The menu changes regularly, and while I have had some things that I liked more than others, the food quality is always great. I have to say, Gwen has waited on us a few times, and she really is terrific. I've been in hospitality for a very long time, and I know people are quick to tell you when someone/something makes them unhappy. I want to give her credit. She's always personable and goes that extra step to make sure you enjoy yourself and have positive time. I look forward to going back again!Special Features:
- Casual tops all the wayKiwiDined on 6/29/2014Would love to eat here every night. With changing eclectic menus and flavors to die for with seasonally available options. We will go often.Special Features:
- Del Mar gem off the beaten pathLJSDVIPDined on 6/28/2014Just off the main intersection in Del Mar with a great ambiance and wonderful food. Casual atmosphere and you can sit in or out (I prefer out and there are plenty of heat lamps). Great food - not a huge menu but plenty of choices.Special Features:
- The following 188 reviews are from the Prepkitchen Del Mar reviews archive.
- Food rockscorksageDined on 6/17/2014I'm a vegetarian and love this restaurant because the food is delicious, there are multiple veggie options, and always changing!Special Features:
- Too expensive, compared to the foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/14/2014The food was great, but it's too expensive compared to other restaurants in the area with the same quality.
- food is fabulousEncinitasSusDined on 6/14/2014Prep Kitchen Del Mar is a must if you like great food. Everything is fresh and farm to table.The cured olives they make are my all time favorite. Ths menu changes frequently so there is always something new to try. Service is always impeccable.Special Features:
- Dark and frustratingsagechoiceVIPDined on 6/8/2014OpenTable showed 8:30pm as the only available reservation time for our party of five. However, upon arrival at 8:30pm, we found that the restaurant was almost completely empty, which was extremely frustrating. The ambiance was great, but almost to a fault. It was SO very dark out on the patio that we were forced to resort to using our cell phone flashlights to read the menus, as well as illuminate our cutting board appetizer. Previous experiences at Prepkitchen Del Mar have been outstanding, so this experience was quite disappointing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I am a huge fan!JoanyblueDined on 6/8/2014There is such a good vibe coming out of this place! The food is interesting, well-prepared, cleverly presented and exceptionally good. Mussels are to-die-for sweet and flavorful. Brunch items are fresh and satisfying. Above all else is the staff! Everyone is super cool, friendly, professional, organized. Not just our wait person, but everyone that works there treated us like "stars". Finally! I have found the perfect casual dining place. Thank you PK.Special Features:
- OverpricedMarkVIPDined on 6/1/2014Great service. Mediocre food. Very overpriced. Nice location
- food was OKmyreviewDined on 5/25/2014I was expecting more of this place. The food was OK, my eggs were a bit squishy. The waiter was a little rude. We had barely finished our food and he kept checking to see if we wanted anything else - he clearly wanted us gone. There were several open tables, so not sure why the big deal to get rid of us. I'm sure I'll find someplace else next time I am in Del Mar.Special Features:
- CreativeStranmanVIPDined on 5/18/2014Unique Great Food and presentation. Very friendly service and atmosphere. How can you beat it.Special Features:
- Sat 17th MayMrsBUKDined on 5/17/2014We had a great meal at PrepKitchen. Fabulous food, great flavours and creative menu. Would recommend and come again. Fabulous moules but ditch the chips and add bread or fries! Juices too good to waste.Special Features:
- Local delightLarryVIPDined on 5/17/2014Was looking for a restaurant with organic food. While they don't advertise organic some ingredients probably are. The chicken was Marys brand which is indeed organic. Regardless, all the food was prepared well and was excellent. Superbly made ceasar salad with great flavor. We also had a custom burger with bacon, and topped with an egg. While it was very good it is quite messy to eat. The French fries were wonderful. Serving sizes are large so consider splitting an entree.Special Features:
- great service spectacular foodTimBVIPDined on 5/16/2014I come here whenever in town on business, which is about one a week and have experienced great service and spectacular food ALWAYS. This is my favorite restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a bad mealGregDined on 5/11/2014The kids menu is really really pricey, but you get a pretty good portion. I had the muscles which were good, but not really enough for lunch. My wife had the fish tacos, she enjoyed them but couldn't really eat them as a taco as they kept falling apart. Eventually she gave up and just used her knife and fork and ignored the tortilla. The waiter was great, had lots of recommendations and was great with the kids.Special Features:
- SeasideVIPDined on 5/10/2014Service is always outstanding. Food delicious. Lovely sitting outdoors. Surrounded by fun people. We had a lovely young couple with a 6 month old baby sitting next to us. Engaging waiter. Great feedback on food suggestions.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/4/2014Salmon Benedict were outstanding, Omelet with goat cheese and peppers was just OK. Poppy seed pancake was also great. We will definitely return soonSpecial Features:
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/3/2014Great place to share appetizers! The tempura asparagus was amazing. Loved the beet salad!Special Features:
- Excellence on many frontsFoodieVIPDined on 5/1/2014Service was incredible. We had to wait a few minutes for our table so the host opened the bottle of wine we brought, poured us two glasses, then comp'd the corkage fee-all on his initiative! There was a minor issue with our food, not the chef's fault, so they then gave us a couple glasses of sauterne after dinner. I have always been a fan of Prep Kitchen, but this is some of the best service I've had, and it's especially noticeable when the initiative is from the staff, as this was. I'll be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The first great meal of the weekendomnivoreVIPDined on 4/27/2014Prepkitchen rescued us from a weekend of disappointing meals on a recent get-away. Their beet salad was absolutely the perfect way to start a meal, and the fish tacos are the nicest I've had. Great staff and quality food nicely prepared.Special Features:
- Prepkitchen is a gem!FITfoodieintrainingVIPDined on 4/26/2014Yum! We had a special celebration dinner with another couple at the Prepkitchen Del Mar on Saturday night. Everything, and I mean everything, was FANTASTIC. From food, to service to ambience - every aspect was perfect. Don't miss the tempura asparagus appetizer! Two had the warm bean salad, one had the butter lettuce salad, and I had the beet salad. Each of us swore that our salad was the best one. For entrees, our friends are vegetarians and the chef was most accommodating. For dessert, we shared the warm Budino with salted caramel ice cream. Heaven! All told, it was a wonderful meal and a wonderful evening.Special Features:
- Everything and moreFRESSERDined on 4/26/2014Outstanding neighborhood restaurant. Great ingredients fabulous entrees and remarkable appetizers. I was really impressed with the staff as well. Friendly and deliciousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Be prepared for greatnessLuvgreatnessDined on 4/25/2014The service was great. Dana was a very nice server. We very much enjoyed the food the variety of textures and flavors. It was our friends first visit to prep kitchen and she raved about it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for brunch & cocktailsyogifoodieDined on 4/20/2014We went to PrepKitchen for brunch on Easter and it was over and above amazing. They were serving their regular menu, which in itself, is a great offering. The food is delicious, the cocktails are refreshing (bloody mary & cucumber mimosa - yum) - and the dessert is divine. I recommend the strawberry rhubarb and the goat cheese tart. The menu is changes often but if you see these two items on there - YOU MUST HAVE THEM! We will be coming back next time we visit Del Mar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice surpriseGST2VIPDined on 4/18/2014I was looking for light and flavorful food, this nails it. Great plates to share and good for the teenage kids outside! Pleasant but pricey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Greatest Halibut EverHankVIPDined on 4/18/2014We had the halibut and it was absolutely the best ever.Special Features:
- Great accommodating waitstaffNewMamaVIPDined on 4/16/2014We had 3 infants n the waiters tried to get us an indoor table. Very apologetic. Kitchen got my Preggo sister order wrong (came out half raw--as a burger should b but not as we ordered). Waiters sweetly n quickly replaced with a fully cooked burger n a fully cooked egg. Fries n chips addictive. Other entrees were devoured. Just as upbeat as their other location. :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The only thing that I do wishOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/12/2014The only thing that I do wish it offered are the signature drinks from the other locations like London's Burning. They do not have a license to sell hard liquor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Was pretty loud in the insidemangiafoodVIPDined on 4/12/2014Was pretty loud in the inside dining area though obviously it was not the restaurant's fault. there was a loud, obnoxious party involved. Other than that, everything was perfect as usual.Special Features:
- Good food value and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/10/2014Prep kitchen continues to keep its standards up and has a great simple formula for its food and menu - fresh seasonal and well executed standards with some nice specials to keep things interesting. Service is well organized and not intrusive. The patio is cosy and can be noisy but we managed well even with a business dinner group. Smart casual dining and with sensible portions you won't be hungry nor overstuffed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Prep Kitchen in Del MarPattiMVIPDined on 4/8/2014We had a fantastic dinner here! We started with the "Cutting Board" of house cured meats, cheeses, jams, olives etc….it was like a foodie treasure hunt discovering each yummy treat. We went crazy for the bacon, onion marmalade with the pates and the house made pork rillette was better than any rillette we've had in France. There were 3-4 different kinds of olives all house cured and nuts and jams. We could have ordered this with a couple glasses of wine and been happy for the night, but we ventured onto more apps. The stand outs were the braised pork belly that was served with an apple, fennel slaw type salad and the patatas braves (truly addictive) that I kept hiding at my end of the table:) The fish and lamb entrees were also outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty Nice BrunchSoSoVIPDined on 4/6/2014Im a fan of Prep Kitchen and Wisk and Ladle. The service / food were good for the most part . A few things to work on might be better communication and training. When we walked in, the hostess was carrying a dog, which I found odd and a little unhealthy at a restaurant with food all around (there is a coffee and pastry bar right behind the hostess station) and then she kissed her boyfriend right before seating us. That was a little weird. The brunch - I asked for dry toast and it came out with oil all over it, They said they couldnt do it any other way due to the panini appliance- they should have mentioned ahead of time. The mimosa's were not cold and the Chilaquiles were just okay. The fruit salad and smoked salmon benedict was awesome.Special Features:
- Brunch and Doggy Date FriendlyrochsaysVIPDined on 4/6/2014Sunday brunch was great. I appreciate that the coffee was self serve for $1 and that the outdoor patio is pet friendly. The food selection was really friendly to any type of diet or lifestyle choice that your group may have. I definitely would go again. The service was good, but I have experienced a better. I'm not sure if they were short staffed but I felt as though a little more attentiveness could be beneficial in enhancing the overall star rating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love this place!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 4/4/2014Every single time I go to Prep Kitchen, Del Mar I get exceptional service, and lots of love. I appreciate the extra moments they add on to special occasions and have always walked away super happy and satisfied. I love this place. Thank you. Your always, a regular! :)Special Features:
- Been here 2 times and bothOCcoupleVIPDined on 3/31/2014Been here 2 times and both really good. Nice to have a reliable option in Del Mar.Special Features:
- Love both Prep Kitchen restaurants.MelRDined on 3/28/2014Love both Prep Kitchen restaurants. The food is incredible and so is the service. I always recommend this place to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very limited menuHaneFanVIPDined on 3/22/2014Sometimes you'll like it, sometimes you won't. Whisknladle, a sister restaurant, is better.Special Features:
- LOVED IT!!!!CaloriDined on 3/18/2014I had been dying to try this place and when a friend who I lunch with, typically at a place neither of has eaten at before, agreed to go even though she had been to the location in La Jolla I was ecstatic. Lovely patio seating. Super delicious mussels. Friend's soup of the day and tuna sandwich were outstanding. Service was attentive. I am very particular about what I eat and I am so thrilled to have found my go-to restaurant in Del Mar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- overallhungryDined on 3/15/2014Food was overpriced and not that great. Staff knew table next to us..tattooed employee stood next to our table almost our whole dinner
- i love this place after the beachOpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 3/15/2014another great beach sess followed by a great brunch at prep. the huevos rancheros & chilaquiles are the best ever, period, nuff said. They are spot on with their lunch, dinner & now confirmed brunch. I may go back for dinner.Special Features: