Prepkitchen Del Mar
1201 Camino del Mar
Del Mar, CA 92014Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Prepkitchen Del Mar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.prepkitchen.com/
- Phone: 8587927737x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch -- Monday Through Friday 1130am-3pm
Brunch -- Saturday & Sunday 10am-3pm
Sunset Menu Daily --- 3pm-5pm
Dinner Daily -- 5pm-9pm
Happy Hour Daily 3pm-6pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, American
- Executive Chef: Ryan Johnston
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Delivery, Farm to Table, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Prepkitchen Del Mar
With an eye to the ocean, Prepkitchen Del Mar is located in the heart of Del Mar on the corner of Camino Del Mar & 12th street. Recently named San Diego’s “Best Outdoor Dining” spot by San Diego Citybeat readers, Prepkitchen Del Mar offers exceptional sun-kissed patio seating in addition to its indoor dining room. Similar to its sister locations – Prepkitchen La Jolla & Prepkitchen Little Italy – Del Mar serves artisanal, farm-to-table cuisine in a casual, sociable environment.Continued
Prepkitchen Del Mar serves lunch and dinner daily, as well as brunch on the weekends, which includes happy hour priced mimosas & $1 coffee.
Prepkitchen Del Mar serves lunch and dinner daily, as well as brunch on the weekends, which includes happy hour priced mimosas & $1 coffee.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Prepkitchen Del Mar - Best Restaurants in Del Mar ›
Prepkitchen Del Mar reviews from OpenTable diners
99 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (69)fit for foodies (62)neighborhood gem (59)great for lunch (27)romantic (26)special occasion (24)scenic view (22)great for brunch (21)hot spot (19)kid-friendly (18)good for groups (17)notable wine list (11)late-night find (8)vibrant bar scene (3)Show More
- Prepkitchen was really goodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014Went for our anniversary and loved it. Food was excellent and my wife loved the wine (a Malbec I think.) We liked that the menu was simple but plenty of options for us. The Pork porterhouse was ridiculously good. My only minor gripe was no beers on tap, but the bottle selection was good and the Swamis IPA is always solid. We had a great dinner.Special Features:
- It was okay...MoremacNcheese4meDined on 10/14/2014The service was great. They only serve wine and beer. They should be consistent with their other restuarant in having a full bar. Their burger was good. Prices are a bit high.Special Features:
- We had a great time there!sdyrDined on 10/3/2014The place is on the small size but charming and elegant. It has an outdoor patio, but we were inside. Food is fantastic, well prepared, with many layers of flavor and portions are good size. I liked everything i ordered and so did my husband. I wish I hadnt eaten that day so that I would be able to eat up all we ordered. Would definitely recommend this restaurant to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/2/2014Very disappointed with the food. But staff was and service were very good.
- Another wonderful visitPhylZDined on 9/28/2014PrepKitchen has become one of our favorite places for dining, with reliably very good, creative food, very pleasant, efficient service and a fair price.Special Features:
- Restaurant WeekSplinterVIPDined on 9/28/2014Ate here for Restaurant Week. Had previously dined at the location in Little Italy. Had the Caesar salad, which was very good, and then the WNL Burger, which they claim is their signature dish. It was an OK burger, although cooked medium rare instead of the requested medium, and was VERY greasy. Came with very good fries. Had an apple tart with vanilla gelato and caramel sauce for desert, which was good, but the pastry was tough. Overall, and OK but not great dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PrepKitchen Del Mar is StellarFelyliciousDined on 9/28/2014What a wonderful neighborhood restaurant that IS everything under the sun and the moon. We bring our Jack Russell Terrier with us (he's well-behaved) and we all just have a splendid time. I love their sangria. Together, with their Tuscan bean & arugula salad and dining on their patio, I just feel so relaxed, happy and satiated. The PKDM staff is phenomenal too. The hosts, the wait staff and the kitchen all have their jobs dialed in. Everything is synchronicity and simplicity. What fun! PrepKitchen sets a gold standard of how a restaurant should be if they want diners to keep coming back again, and again...and again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!dfoodieDined on 9/27/2014I have been wanting to go here for awhile now. I'm so glad we finally got the chance. It was delicious!Special Features:
- karenwDined on 9/26/2014Great dinner with my college buddies (30+ year friendship). Food was creative and delicious. Server was attentive, knowledgeable and friendly. Will definitely stop by next time I am in Del Mar.Special Features:
- Great RestauranthowlingthunderDined on 9/26/2014Food was fantastic. Dessert was mega supreme. If I had to make a complaint it would be that people sit so closely that your conversation steps on others, and vise versa. But, that's a little thing and if you're not super anti-social then it's not a big deal. The food easily steals your attentionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food Fusion RestuarantLuLu1Dined on 9/25/2014If you like food fusion or exotic small bites this is the restuarant for you. Great place for Happy Hour or to hang in the afternoon with friend over appetizers and drinks and watch Del Mar cruise by any day of the week. Had grilled fish tacos and they were meaty and very tasty. Every thing tasted fresh and full of flavor. Service was great - greated immediately and had a choice of nice tables. But it is a busy place even at 11:30am so be prepared or make reservations ahead just in case.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Flexible menu for Restaurant WeekJDinerVIPDined on 9/23/2014The best part of Prepkitchen DM besides the amazing flavors, is their flexibility with the way they structure SDRW. For lunch you select an app/salad from the regular menu & then pick an entree. Other places limit your choices and you find yourself wanting what they don't offer for SDRW. The 2nd best thing are the flavors at PKDM. The beet salad is to die for with its tender greens, succulent beets, creamy goat cheese & flavorful, light, fresh dressing. The Moules Frites may be the best I have ever had. The broth, good enough to pour in a glass & drink. The Frites very tasty though they did arrive 10 minutes after the Moules and no Aioli as I thought it was supposed to have. However all in all an amazing lunch.Special Features:
- Redemption and brilliancePKDMRWDined on 9/22/2014My first impression months ago was slightly disappointing at the Little Italy location so I was reluctant to try them again. I'm glad I kept an open mind. The food was delicious, decadent but balanced. Fried chicken sandwich was a perfect fry offset with a tangy sandwhich dressing, fresh greens, sweet tomatoes and perfectly baked, salted focaccia. The WNL burger was a home run on flavor. Any description won't do it justice. Just try it and you'll know immediately. Overall a great lunch experience. Great service, lively atmosphere. Thank you PK!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CathieVIPDined on 9/21/2014We were here during restaurant week. Our server was very kind and efficient. She even added on one extra alcoholic beverage, bc she said she wanted to be sure we got a good deal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 9/14/2014we were in torrey pines and wanted to grab dinner. We knew there was a location in LaJolla, but saw this place was close and gave it a try. Everything was great. service was great. the beet salad, the braised beef short rib were great. the chocolate cake dessert with caramel ice cream was good too. nice portion control. i guess you could share it all if you weren't that hungry.Special Features:
- Bacck to Prepkitchen Del MarCVFoodiesDined on 9/13/2014We haven't been back to Prepkitchen since they rebuilt after the kitchen fire. It's even better now! Check it out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dissappointing At Bestpmb2934dDined on 9/12/2014My wife arrived at the restaurant at 4:40 pm on Saturday 9/12 for a 5:00 pm birthday celebration. There were no other guests in the restaurant at this time. We ordered two WNL Burgers-one Medium and the other Medium Rare. The burgers came out about 15 minutes later and were both RARE. My wife returned her burger. My wife's burger came back-re-fired not new and again was barely medium rare. We gave both burgers back to the server.Two new burgers were brought to our table. Both were MEDIUM WELL. We both ate 1/2 of the new burgers as we were very hungry now that it was 6:00 pm. Management took one burger and my soda off of the check.No apology was offered by management Our server seemed genuinely concerned that we had received a bad experience
- Delicious brunch in a great settingnycyumVIPDined on 8/30/2014The outdoor patio at PrepKitchen Del Mar is absolutely lovely, and the food is just as fantastic as every other PK restaurant. We enjoyed a great brunch outside with the puppy, and the restaurant was very welcoming. The donut holes were perfect for sharing, and my omelette was perfectly prepared. The price was reasonable and the portion was big enough that I had breakfast for the next day. I probably wouldn't try the cucumber mimosa again, but it wasn't bad- just not exactly my taste. Overall, a great place to sit and enjoy the sunshine and some delicious cuisine!Special Features:
- We loved your happy hour!GailCVIPDined on 8/21/2014We came for the happy hour and really appreciated the wonderful choices-- We enjoyed the tuna tartar, the radishes with butter, the papas, and the crostini. We also had a wonderful beet and spinach salad--fabulous!! We will be back!Special Features:
- Awesome!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 8/21/2014In Del Mar for a relaxing afternoon & this location was the perfect choice. Great food, Delightful service & a great atmosphere. I would recommend 110% to any & all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cuban sandwichOpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 8/21/2014great sandwich, pickles were a great touch an I would like to think I would get a similar sandwich in MiamiSpecial Features:
- Food with FlairSuzyVIPDined on 8/20/2014From start to finish, entering the restaurant in daylight and looking at the menu, then leaving in the darkness of evening is all magical. The lights at night surround the outside dining area, and the inside decor is quirky and "modernly" old timey. Milk jugs for carafe of water, for example. Compliments to the chef who really knows how to prepare vegetables, and offer a healthy variety of choices. The food is exceptional and desserts charming. Would like a few more non-chocolate, vegan choices for desserts, however. Thank you to the staff who all made us feel quite welcome and at home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuzyVIPDined on 8/14/2014Varied menu but chef is open to changes due to diet and allergies, etc.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional...RONSVIPDined on 8/12/2014Dinner at 9pm, sat outside, service was great, good beer selection, decent wine list. Food was exceptional, from the burger, to steak and pastas. Good portion sizes, room for dessert after. Best meal on vacation so far.Special Features:
- Great Food - Limited Veggie OptionsraviiesDined on 8/4/2014I picked this restaurant for our Wedding Anniversary after looking at their menu and reading reviews on Yelp. We were bit surprised to see that the Vegetarian Entree Options was lacking. I was bit disappointed to learn that they were not willing to make custom vegetarian dishes. That said the Vegetarian options available include: 1 soup, 1 sandwich and 3 salads. We ordered the soup, sandwich and picked one of the 3 salads. The food was extraordinary. I would recommend this restaurant to both my vegetarian and non-vegetarian friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A nice place for localsPasmalDined on 8/2/2014Prep Kitchen sits on the site of many recent failed restsurants. The new owners, with knowledge of San Diego 'a neighborhoods, have moved towards catering to the local populace, not the tourist traffic, which can be rather seasonal, if there is such a thing as seasons in San Diego. The menu is simple, changes based on callable ingredients, and is well prepared and portioned. The management and staff are attentive. My only complaints are as follows: the red wine served was more warm than cool and we were seated near a rather boisterous and loud group of 9. Nevertheless, we would probably return, and recommend to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, limited menuForrest2bDined on 7/28/2014The quality of the food is excellent, at a level I would expect form a place in La Jolla and Del Mar. The drawback is how limited the selection is and that it rotates. I'd highly recommend looking at the menu before going to make sure they have something that suits you and your date.Special Features:
- 3 out of 4 excellent dishesOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/26/2014Bean/arugula salad, halibut, and bread pudding were excellent. Beef tenderloin was pedestrian and tough. Service was excellent.I would recommend this to a friend.
- hgbmkt20VIPDined on 7/24/2014service and food are always reliable and delicious. Great outdoor seating so you can bring you dog. They are very dog friendly.Special Features:
- great dinner place - mediocre lunchsecondtimetesterDined on 7/24/2014Ordered the fish sandwich - the fish was overcooked and very dry - the large pile of greasy potato chips was daunting - the sauces for the sandwich were good but very oily - the plate was unimaginative and needed color. We have had dinner here twice and loved it but lunch was disappointing. One of us ordered the mussels and has enjoyed those also in the past. Our third friend was also disappointed.
- Great restaurantLuv2shareDined on 7/20/2014Creative and delicious food . Eyes and taste Pleasing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- right place right timeOpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 7/19/2014i made a reservation & I unfortunately told my guest that we were going to whisknladle. I managed to have their donut holes & $1 coffee while I waited & they were both amazing.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 7/18/2014I visit this restaurant often & they never let me down. All around another 5 star experience!Special Features:
- Great FindKarenhDined on 7/17/2014This is a great neighborhood find, with good food and an adequate wine list. The ambiance is upbeat and vibrant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't get enough of this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 7/17/2014I would say I eat here more than anywhere else. It is their consistency as well as their approach to the ever changing menu. I have begun to let the staff choose what I will eat as they are so informed & have yet to steer me wrong. CAnnot say enough great things about this placeSpecial Features:
- Yum!bucketlistgirl12Dined on 7/12/2014The food here is unparalleled. PrepKitchen certainly does satisfy their customers: they know how to put a unique twist to any classic meal! One of my new favorite places to eat now.Special Features:
- pork chopOpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 7/9/2014their pork chop is back & it is simply amazing, I think there was polenta or something with it that gave the dish a certain creaminess that was awesomeSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 7/8/2014Exceptional food & great service. Can't ask for more.Special Features:
- beet saladOpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 7/3/2014if you haven't tried it, then you are missing out. Don't really care for beets myself, but they have shown me what fresh ingredients can do to a perception, kudos once again.Special Features:
- GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/2/2014Eric our serve is one of the best !! Food was even better anyone who would not like this place does not like good food or fun period !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.