2706 5th Ave
San Diego, CA 92103Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.isabelscantina.com/
- Phone: 6195017827x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday Brunch: 11:00am - 3:00pm
Monday - Friday Dinner: 5:00pm - 9:30pm
Saturday & Sunday: 9:00am - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Executive Chef: Isabel Cruz
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: Barrio Star's fresh local food is available for any occasion! Just reach out to us with the details and we'll take if from there.
- Entertainment: Everything from classic rock to the good 'ole 90's! Whatever fits the mood we will play.
A word from Barrio Star
Barrio Star is fresh and creative. We take on traditional mexican food, add our sense of style and create raving fans!Continued
At Barrio Star you'll find generous portions, innovative cocktails and a friendly atmosphere where wholesome ingredients and delicious cocktails are the star.
At Barrio Star you'll find generous portions, innovative cocktails and a friendly atmosphere where wholesome ingredients and delicious cocktails are the star.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMexican
Barrio Star - Best Restaurants in Banker's Hill ›
Barrio Star reviews from OpenTable diners
102 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (71)fit for foodies (50)great for lunch (37)good for groups (36)hot spot (26)vibrant bar scene (24)great for brunch (15)kid-friendly (15)special occasion (8)late-night find (2)great for outdoor dining (2)scenic view (1)romantic (1)Show More
- Barrio Star has a unique atmosphere6oldfriendsDined on 3/16/2014Barrio Star has a unique atmosphere with great food and drinksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delish Vegetarian options!OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 3/15/2014They were very accommodating for my family who eats plainly - usually. Lots of great vegetarian options! Loved it. Felt like the waitress was great - until another, larger party sat down next to us. Then, she appeared distracted. :(Special Features:
- When is a reservation not one?bb1769Dined on 3/7/2014I made a reservation about 10 mins ahead last week, which the system seemed happy to confirm. But once we arrived, the host said they could not honor the reservation, even though there were empty tables. He said others had reserved before us, and nothing was available. If we wanted to wait 20 to 30 minutes something would probably come up. Or we could sit and eat at the bar, which my wife was ok with. We sat, got a drink, and then ordered some food. A few minutes later, the host came back and said they had a table--apparently other reservations failed to show. Oh, wait, he says, you ordered food? Sorry, we can't move you. Did they overbook intentionally or what?Special Features:
- Fantastic Gourmet MexicaninksVIPDined on 3/6/2014The food at Barrio Star is outstanding and unusual "Mexican". My favorite dish is their Steak Tacos, which can be ordered a la carte before 7pm and as a dinner with three tacos plus beans and rice anytime.The marianade used on the steak was very tasty and the tomatoes, guacamole and other tidbits served with the steak were delicious. My friend had the Salmon Tacos and loved them as well. During our 7 day visit to SD, we went back to Barrio Star twice. The atmosphere is unique, fairly dark during night hours with lots of sparkly lighting - very fanciful and fun to be in. It's a fairly small restaurant, so it seems intimate but lively at the same time. The wait staff was very cheerful, energetic and fun, as well as attentive.Special Features:
- Barrio StarVividVivianDined on 3/4/2014This restaurant has the best drinks, they are delicious, classy and they have a bite. Their menu is just enough to satisfy any appetite. The service is great and the bartenders on Tuesday night are on it. They have great customer service and this venue is busy so make a reservation to be first seated and enjoy their drinks and delicious tacos and try their breakfast menu. It's groundbreaking !!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and Service!nknkDined on 3/1/2014We arrived an hour early before our reservation and they took us no problem! The server was very sweet and could explain everything on the menu for us. There were 5 of us including a a gluten-free vegan and a meat and dairy lover, and EVERYONE was so pleased with their meal. Will definitely come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Barrio StarLovetoeatDined on 2/28/2014This restaurant is amazingly wonderful. The food is fresh and delicious and it's my favorite Mexican restaurant in all of San Diego. The bartenders are exceptional... I love, love, love the margaritas!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing lunch aftermathakamamoDined on 2/24/2014The food was ok. The fish tacos had the small pieces of fish but for me that was plenty with the chips, salsa and guacamole we had first. My salmon taco was delicious, as was the rice and black beans. The second taco was the fish special that day - sea bass and I didn't finish it. The Pozole was bland. It was my friend's birthday and they brought a piece of flour less chocolate cake that was tasty. It seemed to take an unusually long time for us to get our food and it wasn't very busy. The worst thing for me was the indigestion I had an hour later. I have been to Isabel's Cantina and the Coffee Cup and always been happy with my meal. It was a Monday at 12:30 in the afternoon, so maybe the chef was off.
- Creative & FunRocker1Dined on 2/23/2014Food was excellent, service was OK and the atmosphere was festive. A solid choice in the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/23/2014I used to love Barrio Star, but the last 2 times the service was very slow and unapologetic. Won't be going back.Special Features:
- Never againpixieDined on 2/21/2014I had made reservations but had to stand and wait at the door for at least 10 minutes before anyone asked me if I had been helped yet. Finally got seated, again had to wait 10 minutes to just get water. The wait person was not very attentive and the food was far from bragging about. Everything was very mediocre...
- Nice surpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 2/19/2014Nice neighborhood restaurant. A good alternative for Mexican food. Don't miss the carnitas on platanas apetizer.Special Features:
- Great lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 2/19/2014Been many times for pre-theatre dining and loved it. A really great lunch menu and vibe too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Healthy Mexican foodSusanSzVIPDined on 2/18/2014Our party of 3 - first timers at Barrio Star - got to enjoy Taco Tuesday. The restaurant was very crowded but we were seated immediately since we had a reservation. Service was prompt, helpful and very friendly. We shared chips w/guacamole, carnitas, steak and chicken tacos and brown rice with beans. For dessert we shared coconut flan. Everything was very good, fresh and presented well. Will definitely return! Nice place!Special Features:
- Gosh Darn, We Love That Barrio StarFriendlyVIPDined on 2/14/2014If you're looking for an improvement upon the most basic of Mexican food with a twist, Barrio Star Rocks for its ingenuity and flavorful enhancements of EVERYTHING. The guacamole is to die for; the chip seasoning is out of this world; everything is simply superb. And we love working with our waitress again too. Barrio Star, you're simply The Best!Special Features:
- Wonderful tacos and margaritas, butPLhappyVIPDined on 2/10/2014The food is really good, but the service is slow and somewhat inconsistent. It took over 15 minutes to get the server to our table and another 15 minutes To be served our margaritas. The tacos took another 15 minutes. Not sure if the place needs more staffing or if the servers need to step It up.... Otherwise, we enjoyed our meal.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jessie's the best!!ashleyjeneDined on 2/9/2014Our food was amazing and Jessie our server did a terrific job. We could not ask for a better experience. :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but overpricedCarlyVIPDined on 2/8/2014The food is good, but overpriced. There are many Mexican Restaurants in San Diego that have great food and are less expensive.
- Great TacosCharlieDined on 2/7/2014Great selection of tacos, including vegan, vegetarian, and gluten free. We have some of each in our group, so finally a restaurant we can all enjoy together! Really good margaritas, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and fun!JE95Dined on 2/1/2014This is a high energy, crowded, noisy place that has been decorated in a very fun and charming way. The food is simply delicious...all three of us had the salmon tacos this time and they were fabulous but have never had anything less than great here. The happy hour wine deals are excellent and the servers were friendly and knowledgeable. It was very busy so we waited for things a bit more than usual but all in all, it was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun EveningFriendsVIPDined on 1/27/2014Good meal. Great Feature cocktail (even the special request virgin one they were willing to make). Can't wait until Summer to try the outdoor dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Funky, Fun, Authentic MexicanhpsdmomDined on 1/27/2014Barrio Star is a fun eclectic neighborhood restaurant that delivers on vibrant atmosphere and great food. We love the paprika/ chili powder chips and salsa with a margarita. The pomogranite and jalepeno/ blackberry margaritas were our favorites. Our group ordered an assortment of tacos and all were awesome. Think authentic food with unusual sauces and toppings not your 'crunchy taco'. The service was relaxed for lack of a better word but no problems- we were there to enjoy a leisurely lunch. If I was on a tight schedule, I'd let them know and I assume they would accomodate. We'll be back!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- drinksbobskiDined on 1/25/2014Bar was packed, drink took a long time. got them half way into our meal.Special Features:
- Barrio StarOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/24/2014went there during restaurant week and a Friday night, so we should have known better, it was very crowded. we did make reservations which was really helpful, the table arrangement is VERY close to others, it is incredibly loud and could really use some acoustical help. we thought about leaving since we had a play to get to and we were cutting it close, but we decided to give it a try. we were using a living social deal. we ordered right away, she bought us all our drinks at once, awesome! tacos arrived shortly, we tried one of each; carnitas, carne asada, chicken and fish, ranked them in that order... carnitas and carne asada were delicious, chicken was OK and the fish was not so great. best thing about our experience was the waitress!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy Hour OLE'!!heycwDined on 1/24/2014Great Food! Terrific drinks provided by an energetic and attentive staff! A modern flair to Mexican food that leaves you satisfied with crispy tacos, savory sides, and great chips and salsa, that leave you dying to come back again and again!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A fun place!SDfanDined on 1/18/2014The food was really good, mild without being bland, and on the triple taco plate, you can mix your choices, which adds to the dining fun. The big salad with the avocado topping was also delicious and very satisfying. The atmosphere is appealing - relaxed, but energetic. The noise level is a little high if you have trouble hearing, but it's made up for by the feeling that everybody's having a good time. On my next trip to SD, it will definitely be included on my restaurant stops!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okSterDined on 1/17/2014Too, too loud. Tacos were good but beans, rice and salsa were boring (no flavor)Special Features:
- Good eatery, location, easy parkingKamuelaDined on 1/11/2014Small, but highly energetic inside, very good service staff, and excellent food. By glancing at the menu, this eatery could easily cater to a variety of diners, including vegetarians. I had the roasted, free-range half chicken which looked very appealing when it was served to my table and tasted very good to my palate - wishing I had another half! It was rather cool inside the evening I went so keep that in mind and dress accordingly). Situated on the same block, there's the new Croce's, as well as a Japanese/Sushi place. I could find myself very, very happy eating out at each eatery every week!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedMaggDined on 1/11/2014I have eaten lunch and dinner at Barrio Star and always enjoyed my food, the friendly service and the energy. So I took out of town guests for Saturday Brunch. The pancakes were cold. It is always a bad sign when the butter will not melt. The server was friendly but either had too many tables or was distracted. The syrup is in a clever looking container, but pours so slowly as to not be usable. Noise during the brunch hour was such that conversation was difficult. I might return for lunch or dinner but never again for brunch.
- Drinks are great! Food isOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/5/2014Drinks are great! Food is good but not very spicy for a Mexican restaurant. Chips and salsa are very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Early DinnerdocdietzDined on 1/4/2014Cocktails were great, until they ran out of the mix for one of the special margs, too popular.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh take on Mexican foodLynnskiDined on 1/3/2014Really enjoyed our dinner... Nice guacamole appetizer, Pozole soup,, and the some fish tacos and roast chicken... All was delicious and we took half the chicken home to enjoy the next day. Would definitely go back. Nice "neighborhoody" ambiance.Special Features:
- Great food but value is so-soNonetogiveDined on 1/3/2014I think the prices are too high in relation to the portion size, especially for the vegetarian items on the menu. And it's loud so prepare to shout at your dining partners if the restaurant is full. They never have specials, so I'm not enticed to go back unless I'm entertaining friends from out-of-town. Barrio Star used to be better when it first opened a few years ago -- very hip and cool. Now it's just a little bit passe and tired. That said, service is great and food quality is excellent. The owner's breakfast/lunch place in Pacific Beach is better overall - Isabel's Cantina. Check it out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Regular!TraciBDined on 12/31/2013The menu never dulls, never disappoints ... I bring everyone I know in for these tacos!! Great food: fresh, local, & foodie friendly!Special Features:
- Great Way to Ring In the New YearHippieLyssDined on 12/31/2013Donika was great. Completely understanding that we were ten minutes late and very attentive. Great recommendations on drinks and food. She even remembered me from my previous dinner there =) Great job!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy HourOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/23/2013This is one of my favorite places for lunch and happy hour so I decided it was the perfect place to take the team for a Christmas Happy Hour and gift exchange. The appetizers are wonderful and the margaritas were great. Service was perfect and we were well taken care of. For several of my team it was the first time they had been to Barrio Star and they were impressed. In fact they are talking about return visits.Special Features:
- Food was great and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/14/2013Food was great and service was even better. Great wait staff, friendly and energetic. Very cool set up and decor.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic food and amazing serviceBoojumDined on 12/14/2013Our second time at Barrio Star, a small, cozy restaurant. The menu, mostly organic, is fantastic. This time we each had a variant of the triple street taco plate. Each taco was excellent and unique. My favorite was the grilled shrimp, which was off menu. The service was once again amazing. Very friendly, very attentive, very prompt. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible Taste Treats, Must DineFriendlyVIPDined on 12/8/2013Barrio Star has taken Mexican food to a new high, adding incredible tastes and Flavors to anew high. Everything was simply incredible. Great food, great drinks, great service. Wow, what a treat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Afternoon ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/1/2013We notice a difference when we come in the afternoon and in the evening. Afternoon Service took a long time. We ordered Salmon Tacos and Soy Chorizo tacos. I believe it took 30 minutes. Food came out warm; not hot. We do enjoy the Chicken Diablo and the Cucumber for the appetizer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.