1649 Beacon Street
Waban, MA 02468Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.wabankitchen.com/
- Phone: 6175587677x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Thursday 5 - 10
Friday and Saturday 5 - 10:30
Tuesday - Thursday 5 - 11
Friday and Saturday 5 - 11:30
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jeff Fournier
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Farm to Table, Full Bar, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
A word from Waban Kitchen
The second venture of Chef Jeff Fournier, chef/owner of 51 Lincoln, Waban Kitchen focuses on the principles of tradition and creativity. It is our mission to provide you with an experience that exceeds the high standards of quality that we set for ourselves. We take pride in our passion and dedication to hospitality and welcome you as a guest in our home. We aim to create an experience that showcases both food and drink and crafted pairings to reflect such a philosophy.Continued
Please contact Michael at the number provided for bookings of parties 5 or more.
Please contact Michael at the number provided for bookings of parties 5 or more.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Waban Kitchen - Best Restaurants in Waban ›
Waban Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
83 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (60)fit for foodies (48)special occasion (16)notable wine list (11)romantic (8)great for outdoor dining (8)vibrant bar scene (6)great for lunch (5)hot spot (4)good for groups (4)late-night find (2)great for brunch (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- great lunch spotOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 1/24/2014I live in Waban and have been continuously intimidated by the crowds I see every evening at Waban Kitchen. Now that they are open for lunch, I thought I would take advantage of a table that is easier to get. I ordered the black bean quinoa burger and enjoyed it thoroughly. My friend had the squash/kale salad and was equally pleased. Our server was friendly and efficient. More vegetarian and healthy options than there seemed to be on the dinner menu. And, I thought, reasonably priced for what you get.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great atmospheretacogirlDined on 1/22/2014Waban Kitchen is attractive and cozy, food both comforting and occasionally popping with flavor. The sides are better than usual (the roasted cauliflower is exceptional and interesting), but mains sometimes hit and sometimes miss. Fun to sit at the bar where almost half the spots are.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/18/2014We enjoyed the food at Waban Kitchen, very creative and unusual. Do make a reservation. The service was great all around. We will certainly be back.The only very minor problem was that the seating is so tight (about 4 inches between tables) that it is difficult to not overhear conversations and it makes it hard for people with hearing issues. However, I must say that the people next to us were friendly and it was fun to chat with them.Special Features:
- Great dinner at neighborhood gem!Delish1VIPDined on 1/18/2014Saturday my husband and I went out for an early dinner and had a great meal at Waban Kitchen. We sat at the bar because the tables are very close together. This would be my only complaint. The bartenders were awesome making creative drinks that are listed on the menu. They are very talented!!! The menu is not extensive but creative with something for everyone. My husband had the special which was a slow roasted pork dish that had been cooking for 18 hours. He loved it! I had the shrimp appetizer and the small size of their pasta dish. Yummy!! Each bite of my meal I said "wow this is really good". Many times your first few bites are impressive but then it fades away. Eating at Waban Kitchen my last bite was just as good as my first!!!Special Features:
- Friendly/great foodDuckDined on 1/17/2014We have eaten here twice, and not disappointed either time. Michael, the manager, is fabulous. Food fabulous, wait staff attentive without being obtrusive, atmosphere vibrant.Special Features:
- Favorite neighborhood dining nookBrianDined on 1/16/2014I had a great dinner with my folks, the food was hot, services was good, noise was energetic but not disturbing, environment intimate. You just need to plan ahead to make sure you get a table because they fill up fast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This restaurant is too crammed.hcrsDined on 1/15/2014This restaurant is too crammed. the tables are way too close together. therefore you are part of the next tables conversation, and feel like using their salt will never go back
- Good food, difficult seatingShaynaVIPDined on 1/15/2014Even though it was a Wednesday at 6:00 the place was busy. I had requested a quiet table, but the host attempted to seat my husband and me in the middle of a row of tables for two with no more than six inches separation from one another. When I mentioned my "quiet table" request, he directed us to one end of a table usually for six with the understanding that two more people would be seated there. That turned out to be fine, but not if we were looking for a romantic dinner for two. On the other hand, the food was very good. We shared a calamari appetizer and each had the duck breast entree. For dessert we shared a pear tart. All were delicious, although a bit pricy. From now on, we'll stick to their sister restaurant 51 Lincoln.Special Features:
- Every morsel we ate was delicious.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/14/2014Every morsel we ate was delicious. I had roast duck breast with grilled radicchio and some poached pears. It was prepared perfectly. I highly recommend it as a neighborhood gem.Special Features:
- 51 Lincoln StShadowDined on 1/11/2014We eat at Jeff's other restaurant all the time. Waban Kitchen is more low keyed but delicious and fun. Great service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Dining Experienceebdining1VIPDined on 1/11/2014Had a wonderful dinner at Waban Kitchen with friends. Food was beautifully presented. Two of us ordered the shrimp appetizer which was one of the most delicious dishes ever. I would have ordered this appetizer as a main course - it was that good! Salad were large and tasty. The only disappointment was with the duck - it was on the dry side and there was an end piece on the plate that was very chewy. Otherwise the chicken, salmon and pasta were all fabulous.The dessert of peanut butter and chocolate pie was a very generous slice (enough for the four of us to share) and was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the service was very goodlennykDined on 1/10/2014the service was very good as was the food but we were seated more than 20 minutes after the time of our reservationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time was great2frequentdinersVIPDined on 1/10/2014Never ate at this restaurant before. Not sure what to expect. Table was ready when we arrived - not always the case. Service was probably the best we have had in a restaurant in a long time. Servers were quick and efficient. Food came out fast and was superb. Great meal but never waiting for anything.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmbienceGaryDined on 1/8/2014Only downside here is that the tables are so close together that you are practically dining with your neighbors. Excellent food though.Special Features:
- Great Food! Great Service!BruceDined on 1/7/2014My wife and I went out with another couple we have not seen in a long time. This is an amazing restaurant! This is a cozy place with great food, great service and an amazing atmosphere! Very unique menu. The small plates were absolutely delicious! The Calamari was fantastic and we loved the Duck! We will be returning to Waban Kitchen!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant surpriseFritzDined on 1/7/2014We have been trying to get a reservation on a week night for several months and could never find a time. So this week, with epic cold weather keeping folks home we strode into Waban Kitchen and had our choice of tables. We chose to sit at the bar since it seemed cozier on a cold night. We were greeted promptly and informed about specials and drinks in a friendly way. The bartender and waiter is exceptionally friendly, informed, and helpful. The food was good- not great- I had flank steak and my wife had shrimp. But the entire experience in this friendly, nicely designed, and well run spot is more than the sum of its parts. We liked it and will be back to dealve a little deeper into the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointing!Newton59Dined on 1/4/2014Delighted we were able to make a reservation quite easily. However downhill from there. Drinks were 1/2 full and not chilled. Two items that had been raved about in previous reviews no longer on the menu. The calamari appetizer was the best food of the night. Pumpkin appetizer and chacuterie plate both unappealing presentation and tasteless . 2 beef entrees were tough. Monk fish was tasteless. Pasta dish was very large with minimal, bland sauce. 1 dessert pie shared. Waitstaff sang Happy Birthday (thank you). Pie crust VERY TOUGH as also had been mentioned in previous reviews.
- ?too successful too fastdfwrVIPDined on 1/3/2014Unfortunately we find that Waban Kitchen is slipping... the experience isn't what it used to be and the value for the price doesn't seem to be there these days. We have been there 5-6 times and the last couple of dinners have had a couple of highlights and a couple of mediocre dishes. (This time the kale salad was great, but the Amok was heavy on the rice and the spice, with a small piece of not great fish. Desserts were uneven.) The decor and "feel" of the place are wonderful, but tables are VERY close together--it's not so much the noise level that's a problem, but that you can clearly hear the conversation on both sides of you.
- a perfect New Year's evelovetoeatDined on 12/31/2013prix fixe dinner menu was a delicious bargain; service attentive and properly pacedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good not great on the nightSnackyDined on 12/28/2013People LOVE Waban Kitchen and I can see why but on this night it was a "very good-not-great". I am a big fan of its sister spot, 51 Lincoln, and my most recent meal there was a "great +". I will certainly go back to Waban Kitchen soon as everyone I know loves it and I still had a very nice meal.Special Features:
- Right off the Green Line:OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/28/2013We had a wonderful dining experience at Waban Kitchen. The menu was varied and ambitious and the staff was accommodating. We were certainly pleased with every facet of the dining experience. The wine list had a nice selection and was modestly priced considering other restaurants in the area. Being conveniently located off the Green Line is a plus and we noticed even though there was limited seating at the tables, there was plenty of room at the bar. We certainly will return.Special Features:
- Really well thought out, freshKennVIPDined on 12/26/2013Really well thought out, fresh and unique tastes at reasonable prices in a comfortable setting. Superb! This is a restaurant for foodies.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Salad and soup was good. MainOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/20/2013Salad and soup was good. Main course was late and one was cold.
- A pleasant surprise in the SuburbsJMSBeantownDined on 12/7/2013Waban Kitchen is a worthy destination for those not interested in journeying all the way into Boston for a good meal. The food was good, the service prompt and courteous and the portions plentiful. We will be back.Special Features:
- great drinks, good foodRichDined on 12/4/2013Nice little neighborhood spot.. a couple of steps above a local pub. Interesting menu, chicken was great, steak was good, fish was okay. nice apps - cheese plate or warmed olives both recommended. bartender knows what he or she is doing.. casual ambiance, tables a bit tight, but expected for a little place like this. nice evening.Special Features:
- Oh my. This great spot isKennVIPDined on 12/4/2013Oh my. This great spot is a true pleasure to frequent. Astoundingly unique menu and super fresh food with unusual and terrific wine choices. So darn hard to get a reservation. We must learn to plan in advance to visit this treasure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Urban Style & Tastes in the 'burbsFreshIsBestVIPDined on 11/30/2013Waban Kitchen is a very welcomed addition to the spotty Suburban restaurant scene. This small but cozy spot has a wonderfully innovative and creative menu without being over the top or unapproachable. We enjoyed one of the best fried calamari appetizers ever and even the steamed edamame was out of the ordinary. Our party loved the duck breast, amazing short rib special and a perfectly cooked flank steak. We were even treated to a lovely fried mac n cheese amuse-bouche compliments of the house and sinfully rich chocolate ice cream in honor of our son's birthday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Neighborhood RestaurantEnjoydiningDined on 11/29/2013The small neighborhood restaurant made you feel welcome once you entered the front door. They took our coats and seated us promptly. The service was one of the best in greater Boston. The food was excellent. We all tried different small plates, shared a medium plate and had a large plate for entree. The bread and pesto was delicious. The calamari was lightly battered and was great appetizer. I had the duck. It was crispy and tender. We will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Symphony of flavor!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/22/2013We had a great dining experience at Waban Kitchen. The flavor of the fish and the vegetables melded beautifully. Seasonal vegetables and textures formed a layered taste experience.Special Features:
- I absolutely would not recommendSparkleDined on 11/22/2013I absolutely would not recommend the five spice chicken. It was way too strange for my taste buds. it tasted like star anise, cinnamon, nutmeg, cocoa, and other unknown spices. I couldn't finish it because the flavor was just way too exotic for me. Then the salmon dish was a little salty, and a piece of parsnip, and squid inked quinoa. Despite the food, the ambiance and drink selection are nice.
- Consistently GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/21/2013The foods was fresh, well prepared and delicious! We enjoyed everything we ordered from appetizers, to main course and wine. Our friends also really liked, so we would highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Food, Wonderful Service!pthccDined on 11/21/2013My husband and I took my mother here for her birthday, and it was a wonderful experience in every way. The food is excellent - creative takes on American favorites, with seasonal fare incorporated into the menu in a fun and impressive fashion. We shared two small plates, and then ordered appetizers and an entree each. Everything was great, from the salads and soup to the salmon and braised short ribs. In fact, this ranks as one of our most memorable meals in the Boston area. The drinks were top notch, and also creative and with substance. The service was outstanding! The wait staff was attentive and engaging - we did not have to wait for much of anything, they were on top of it! We will definitely be back!Special Features:
- The noise level and closenessOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/20/2013The noise level and closeness of tables is a distraction. We were there for dinner. The menu was interesting and the wine list nice but conversation tough.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wanted to be impressedwannabefoodieDined on 11/20/2013I really liked the neighbourhood bistro feel of this place. The waitstaff was attentive and pleasant. I'm a big fan of small plates, so expected to be thrilled with the variety of fun mixes. The food sounded more interesting than it actually tasted. The small cheese plate had only 1(!) rather traditional, brie-like cheese on it. The dipping pesto for the bread was a hit at our table. The Red Oak salad was also nice and fresh but a bit boring. The Edamame was good. I'd give it another try, because it seems to have so much potential.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had to return!SupertasterDined on 11/19/2013I had heard about this hidden gem from friends. Had dinner at the bar area on a Saturday night. Fantastic. Bartender Emmet and Host Michael are the best. Had a friend visiting a couple of days later and just had to return to Waban Grill!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, good for early biteJohnRDined on 11/15/2013My wife and I were finally able to get into Waban Kitchen for an early dinner. It has been open for about a year, and replaced Kouzina. Waban Kitchen seems to be quite popular, and has not had openings when we called in the past. We were the first dinner customers two nights ago; I had the prix fixe menu, which included a great salad with wine poached pear, bacon lardons, and some sort of chevre based dressing; it was followed by a simply exquisite beef short ribs dish, centered among small onions, potatoes and other delicacies. The final course was a great sweet potato pie which I shared with my wife. My wife had her own salad, which I finished, and perfectly prepared Salmon. Starting this week, Waban Kitchen opens for lunch too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great BarBonoVIPDined on 11/14/2013Good food and great feal and great bar service. Tables are a little tightSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing food. SignatureaudiebabesDined on 11/14/2013Disappointing food. Signature chicken dish over-seasoned; pesto that came with the bread was deliciolus; no chance for private conversation.
- Excellent food, excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 11/8/2013Excellent food, excellent service, great staff. Felt like dining at someone's home. Warm atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great meal 2nd time !LovesfishDined on 11/7/2013We were a group of 5 who had a table placed perfectly between the bar and the window - made us feel we were separate yet part of the scene. Food & wine were fantastic - tasty, creative, beautifully prepared and served by attentive and knowledgable wait staff. No feeling of being rushed ... was a lovely evening out - would recommend without hesitation!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.