1649 Beacon Street
Waban, MA 02468Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.wabankitchen.com/
- Phone: 6175587677x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Thursday 5 - 10
Friday and Saturday 5 - 10:30
Tuesday - Thursday 5 - 11
Friday and Saturday 5 - 11:30
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jeff Fournier
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Farm to Table, Full Bar, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
A word from Waban Kitchen
The second venture of Chef Jeff Fournier, chef/owner of 51 Lincoln, Waban Kitchen focuses on the principles of tradition and creativity. It is our mission to provide you with an experience that exceeds the high standards of quality that we set for ourselves. We take pride in our passion and dedication to hospitality and welcome you as a guest in our home. We aim to create an experience that showcases both food and drink and crafted pairings to reflect such a philosophy.Continued
Please contact Michael at the number provided for bookings of parties 5 or more.
Please contact Michael at the number provided for bookings of parties 5 or more.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Waban Kitchen - Best Restaurants in Waban ›
Waban Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
82 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (60)fit for foodies (46)special occasion (16)notable wine list (11)great for outdoor dining (8)romantic (7)vibrant bar scene (6)great for lunch (4)hot spot (4)good for groups (4)late-night find (2)great for brunch (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- savoryeaterVIPDined on 5/10/2014First time there, for lunch. The dinner menu has always looked very limited to me. The lunch menu is small, too, but nice. I had a black bean and quinoa burger -- nothing exceptional, but the fries were excellent and the presentation was very nice. I enjoyed my meal, but wouldn't rush back.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/8/2014Tables are too close together especially if you are sitting next to someone who has a loud voice as we were.
- Wonderful experiencemarlbethDined on 5/7/2014From the moment we stepped into the restaurant we were treated very well. A low key, comfortable atmosphere with an interesting menu. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, But...MIndymamaDined on 5/3/2014We just were not impressed with the variety of menu options, the food was good but not great, the service was the same--almost as though we were not quite a burden, but an afterthought sort of, though friendly waitress when we engaged her. Truly not a bad place, just not worth the price, and we don't usually mind an expensive meal if it is truly worth it. I will say my husband's dessert was amazing...smores pie, and his crawfish dinner special was appealing and good, but not much food for the price, though the little crawfish shells were cute...
- lovely setting but lackluster foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/2/2014The ambience as always was lovely and the service was friendly and professional. The bar continues to put out excellent cocktails. The place manages to have a fun and energetic atmosphere, but you can hear yourself and your companions. With all this going for it, it's too bad that the food isn't better. To start, the menu is not inspiring and a bit boring. Two of our entrée dishes - chicken roulade and rabbit - were dry and really lacking in flavor. The grilled octopus appetizer is very tasty. The sorbet and ice cream have terrific flavor and texture. Great people and atmosphere but the food needs to follow suit.Special Features:
- ServiceUnhappydinerDined on 5/1/2014The food was good but we were put off by our server. There were several items on the menu that we were unfamiliar with and she was extremely snobby in an explanation and continued with attitude during the meal. Would not return to this restaurant.
- Small menu but quality foodBtobinsVIPDined on 4/30/2014This review is for lunch only bt I will try for dinner eventually. This is a cute , small neighborhood place with small , mostly sandwiches but a few salads as well.two if us enjoyed a simple but well prepared lunch- salmon burger and veggie burger. We were both pleased with our meal and woukd returnSpecial Features:
- Disappointing food, great ambianceGoodEatsDined on 4/26/2014The ambiance is hip, the staff gracious, the food -- sadly disappointing. The best part of the meal was the complementary bread and basil pesto. One starter -- cured snapper, kimchi, and banana chips was overpoweringly salty. The other starter, a side of fiddlehead ferns, was nice. The main course of salmon was excellent, but the spring-inspired pasta dish was quite bland. And the dessert, a smore pie, was hard, cold, bland, and blah. We had a hard time getting our reservation for what ultimately turned out to be a disappointing experience. Oh well.Special Features:
- AdacVIPDined on 4/22/2014very interesting but small limited dinner menu. food and service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SpecialMikeRDined on 4/19/2014The pan raosted fluk special was outstanding. The saffron jasmine rice blended perfectly with the chantenay carrots in a butter sauce. What I really liked were the green chickpeas which were light and cruncy, giving the dish a great range of textures as well as flavors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bocabertVIPDined on 4/19/2014a very ungracious host, an ignorant server and food that was very hohum contributed to making this dinner a disappointing experience
- Tremendous Quaint TownNoSoxTonightDined on 4/19/2014We could only get reservations for an early dinner at 5:30... Which was fine. Being early we were seated by the window (Still a bit chilly to eat outside). On this beautiful spring day we saw lots of people out walking, many with cute pups. The T stop is across the street and under the bridge. People heading to the Sox game. Quaint market, coffee shop, deli, hardware, dog grooming. Lots of trees. Small and cozy restaurant. Food was very tasty & unique. Tell them what you like and they will create a cocktail for you. Packed with no place to wait by the time we left. It was $$$$.Special Features:
- Waban Kitchen continues to impressDaveVIPDined on 4/12/2014This was our 3rd or 4th time having dinner there and they just keep getting better. Constant changes to the menu, emphasizing fresh food, creatively prepared. The restaurant is small and popular so reservations are a must. Great and vibrant bar crowd, Robb mixes up drinks with skill and charm. Wine dinners are about to begin on occasional Mondays when they are otherwise closed. Looking forward to the next one!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LunchNeighborVIPDined on 4/11/2014I'm not quite sure why I came back got for a second try at lunch. My first time was awful. This time not much better. Dinner here has been good but lunch is not. My husbands turkey sandwich had almost no turkey and what was there was full of gristle. Ugh. Awful. I think our waitress forgot she was supposed to be working. Or she just forgot us. We had to flag her down 3 times. Which we hate doing. My burger had no flavor at all. It's much too pricey for this so I won't go back again even tho it's so close to home. Sorry. But we were very disappointed and we really want to like this place.Special Features:
- Meal was excellent but theBaileyVIPDined on 4/9/2014Meal was excellent but the dessert was not very good at all - 2 of sharing and we didn't finish it.Special Features:
- Nice neighborhood restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/5/2014This was our first visit to Waban Kitchen. The meal started with fresh bread and pesto and an amuse bouche of potato salad with fried pickle, which was delicious (how can anything deep fried be bad?). I had fluke that came with bok choy, banana ketchup and tostones - amazing combination! My husband ordered pork with rice cake that he seemed to enjoy.Our meals were substantial and beautifully presented. Though desserts looked great, we were too full to indulge. Next time, perhaps. We will be back.Special Features:
- Disappointed...PJfanDined on 4/2/2014WK had great promise as you walk in the door. Reasonably comfortable, small and nice ambiance except that the majority of the tables are situated like a quick breakfast place. The greeting at the door was less than stellar. The bartender was nice but couldn't provide cocktail napkins even upon request...good drink though. The food was presented well but the taste was less than expected given the price point. Small portions. The ice cream was good.
- Interesting Flavors = Unique MealBWC21Dined on 3/28/2014I thoroughly enjoyed my meal at Waban Kitchen. The menu is not loaded with choices, but contains offerings from the major food types (fish/seafood, beef, chicken), giving the chefs the opportunity to put their all into each meal. There were many flavor combinations in the various dishes that I would not have expected, but I was pleasantly surprised at how well they worked together. The entire meal was a nice break from the ordinary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not as good as usualOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/27/2014Waban Kitchen is a lovely spot with a very friendly staff. The food can be great (bring back the thai calamari - fantastic, bright spicy flavor!), but on this night it was good, not great. The chicken roulade with cheddar grits and bacon was dry and did not have much flavor. The petit sirloin was a good cut, but nothing exceptional and the lemon sauce did not pack much punch and did not compliment the meat. I forget what the other acommpaniments were. The cocktails were also only so-so (one was pretty watery with way too much ice and not much cocktail), although we love the team behind the bar, so this will be forgotten. Just an off night, I think. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can we get 1 of these in our town?TheresaDined on 3/20/2014We loved our dinner at Waban Kitchen. From the perfect table at the front of the restaurant to the genuine friendliness by the restaurant staff, we lamented that there is no closer, tastier eating spot within 25 minutes of our town. Our waitress, Yanna, was no-nonsense, efficient and cute all-in-one. She made spot-on suggestions for our wine, main course and dessert. My salmon/side dishes: corn grits and sesame oil snap peas were superb and my husband's chicken roulade was just as tasty. We will be back... next week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Neighborhood Find!JaniceDined on 3/18/2014Great food - intresting flavors - we loved it and can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Great atmosphere, food andEstesVIPDined on 3/14/2014Great atmosphere, food and service! No disappointments in three visits!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too upscale for the neighborhoodBigflakDined on 3/14/2014The service was first rate and the food was very good, albeit pricey with relative small portions. Clearly, a foodie place. Not the kind of neighborhood restaurant you would want to go on a regular basis, unless you're a hedge fund manager.Special Features:
- Great place to meet a friendOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/12/2014Great place to meet a friend and relax. Food was delicious and a a bit different.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not do muchNeighborVIPDined on 2/27/2014We have been here for dinner and enjoyed it. A friend took me for lunch and we were both very disappointed. The good was dry and tasteless. The room was freezing cold. The wait staff was poor. Is it really that difficult to bring bread and your pesto while we wait 30 minutes for a burger? No dressing for the salad. Really? A drop of ketchup after we asked for it twice ? Maybe lunch isn't your thing. I'll go back for dinner once more but only because I bought a groupon. Never again for lunch. Menu isn't that good for lunch and the chefs certainly are not as talentedSpecial Features:
- Hit or MissJimboVIPDined on 2/21/2014We shared several small & medium plates (no entree). Some were fabulous (cauliflower) some were mediocre (calamari). Enjoyed the evening despite being disappointed by a couple of dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but cramped seatingWabaniteDined on 2/14/2014Pleasantly surprised that the Valentines prix fix was a good selection and all elements were very good. Biggest downer was the fact that diners are all bunched together... to get out from one side, the whole table needs to be slid out since no room on either side of any table, except at the end of long row. Almost communal seating. Twice we saw people move from tables to the bar to get more room and comfort... indicative how little room there was. The must fix that before we'd consider going again.Special Features:
- A truly wonderful small venueKennVIPDined on 2/14/2014A truly wonderful small venue for some of the more innovative and delicious dishes to be found. Attention to detail and service is consistently wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An amazing experience! EachOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 2/8/2014An amazing experience! Each of the four diners had a luscious meal with extraordinary service. We loved it!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Big Bucks for an "OK" Timeliv2eatDined on 2/4/2014Too pretentious and expensive for just a neighborhood weekday out. That is the best way to describe this experience. Wines by the glass were overpriced as were the entrees. Dinner for two with shared app, one entrée and two other "small plates" and a glass of wine for each was $115 with tip. No coffee, no dessert just the basics. The food was slightly better than average with nothing really standing out. This is a great location, an attractive newly decorated space and convenient to have. Hopefully the owners will realize that a small store front, neighborhood place should have a different approach.
- Eclectic menu, enjoyed our choicesOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/4/2014With one member of our party of 3 severely allergic to fish and a decision we would all avoid fish there weren't many choices. We all had the pork entrée on the menu which was superb. The meat was tender enough to cut with a fork but pink inside with interesting and tasty accompaniments. Apple cranberry tart with vanilla ice cream for dessert was delicious.. The restaurant has a large bar and limited seating, can be a bit chilly in very cold weather, door opens directly into the restaurant w/a heavy curtain as a buffer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food creations fromKennVIPDined on 2/4/2014Wonderful food creations from superlative chefs. I love this cozy place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow Roasted -not to good- PorkOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/31/2014We had been at the restaurant for lunch and really enjoy it. For dinner, it was a different experience. The smoked poblano and corn tamales as a starter were testy with the cream and Mexican salsa, but I was very disappointed with the Slow Roasted Kurobuta pork. The quality of the cut was poor -the meat had fat and tendons and was not tasty at all. I was tempted to return it, but we had a time limit on our siting (yes we were told we had to finish our meal by 6:30 for the next reservation)..
- Very nice spot for lunch -BobbieDined on 1/31/2014Very nice spot for lunch - haven't had dinner there yet, because it's always packed! We were all happy with our choices: 2 of the regular menu sandwiches, chicken and salmon, plus the daily special of bacon-wrapped meatloaf. The server was very pleasant and attentive, but not overbearing. One of us ordered dessert, and it was so generous that even three enthusiastic eaters could t finish it.Special Features:
- Very Close QuartersSaraDined on 1/30/2014We were seated near the door, which brought in a big gust of cold air every time it was opened. We were seated so close to the tables on our right and left that someone had to get up every time a person needed to go to the rest room. I personally had to get up 3 times to let my neighbors out of their table. Food was pretty good, pricey though. The dessert came with the option of a $2 scoop of ice cream --- Really????? I thought that was a bit much. Would not rush back to this place.
- Consistently wonderful! ImaginativeOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 1/29/2014Consistently wonderful! Imaginative food - the roasted pumpkin appetizer is amazing. We are all lucky it's now open for lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but crampedRestaurantRegularVIPDined on 1/28/2014The food and service at Waban Kitchen is great and worth going a bit early or a bit late to get a reservation. The only complaint about the restaurant is that the tables are too close together -think inches. They stagger the reservations to try to make ti better but as a small popular restaurant - plan to get cozy with the table next to you.Special Features:
- Very cozy setting, perhapsOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 1/25/2014Very cozy setting, perhaps too cozy as the tables are right next to one another. Mushroom soup is a bit small considering the price and not extraordinary in character. The large chicken entree is delicious; hake was also excellent. The dining experience is not overwhelming, but this is partially due to the claustrophobic sitting. Will try again...I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic spot for early diningFoodguyVIPDined on 1/25/2014This was our second visit to Waban Kitchen. Great location with plenty of free parking. I would recommend an early reservation as the tables are very cramped, almost communal seating. We were seated right away and the service was exceptional. Everything we ate was fantastic. Would highly recommend the five spice chicken, it's simply amazing. The Cambodian Hake dish was equally good. We didn't try dessert on this trip, but remember it to be very tasty. Looking forward to my next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, relaxed atmosphere,OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/24/2014Great service, relaxed atmosphere, a little tight in space, enjoyable wine recommended by server when my choice was unavailable. overall pleasant experience in my own neighborhood. would visit again!Special Features: