292-294 Main Street
Poughkeepsie, NY 12601Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.brasserie292.com/
- Phone: 8454730292x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 8:00pm
Brunch: Sunday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Mark Margiotta
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: Brasserie 292 offers off-site catering, for more information please call (845)-473-0292
- Private Party Contact: Priscila Peterle 8454730292x
A word from Brasserie 292
Brasserie 292 combines the old-world charm of Poughkeepsie's historic Main Street district with a timeless, classic Brasserie fare. Diners can choose from a menu that boasts an impressive range of selections, from our Raw Bar to the Prime Boneless Ribeye, and includes a diverse wine and beer list. Once a popular garment destination, our inviting dining room has been transformed into a spacious haven that can accommodate over 80 people. We have a simple philosophy at Brasserie 292: use fine, local ingredients coupled with traditional cookery to create an incomparable and exceptional dining experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Brasserie 292 reviews from OpenTable diners
61 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (35)neighborhood gem (34)special occasion (33)romantic (27)notable wine list (15)great for brunch (14)good for groups (13)hot spot (10)great for lunch (10)vibrant bar scene (9)late-night find (8)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- french ambiancepaulybDined on 5/10/2014I have been here before and loved it.My wife and i went back for her birthday,and it was not as good.Mashed potatoes were dry and the braised short ribs were dry and did not have the sauce they were braised in. . The dessert was ok but not consistent throughout.I am not sure if I will go back.Special Features:
- GemSurpriseddinerDined on 5/9/2014Excellent cuisine in Poughkeepsie who would have thought it would be, excellent wait staff, food prep was exceptionalSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Late Night DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/9/2014Great raw bar selection; good wines. Accepted our Open Table reservation last minute even though the restaurant was pretty busy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good brasserie in Pough at last!JudeFoodDined on 5/6/2014This is a sleek renovation of a 19th century commercial space into a very Parisian-looking brasserie: high ceilings, mirrored walls, round booths, tiled floors, a beautiful mirror tall bar at front. Food fits : meules frites, steak frites, cassoulet in winter, fresh local veg, good pates, oysters, fish in season, excellent wine list. Hopefully will lead a restaurant influx to Main Street.Special Features:
- Great DinningDinnerBelleDined on 5/6/2014A friend and I had lunch at the Brasserie 292 for the first time. I was absolutely delighted with my lunch. Everything was delicious. I had a sandwich which was heavenly. I especially liked that they made their own catsup to go wit the fries. My dessert was decadent and wonderful. I can't wait to go there for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- top fivejudyqDined on 5/3/2014finally took a Pennsylvania friend to Brasserie 292 for dinner this past saturday night and after dinner she said it was one of the top 5 dinners she has ever had! we have been all over the country and dined at many high end restaurants so this is a BIG kudos to your chefs. AND, in my old home town of pok. excellent!! judy quintiSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gem in PoughkeepsiefrancophileDined on 5/3/2014The ambience of Brasserie 292 is wonderful--loved the décor--a neighborhood gem. The food was very good. The escargot, mussels, fresh pasta/crab and marscapone tortellini, and halibut were all prepared very well and the flavors were rich and yummy. Our waitress was delightful, helpful, and gave us just the right amount of attention. There seemed to be many locals dining here--if I lived closer, I would be back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/26/2014As we entered, warm and friendly welcome by a charming hostes started our night right. Place was packed, and hostess still made sure we were comfortably and promptly seated on time. Food was delicious and service was great. Mussels with Tasso Ham are the best I ever had. Tuna tartar and halibut are right next to it. Can't wait to be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Inadequate seatingMilagritosDined on 4/19/2014We had a 4 people reservation and were given a very very small round table that could barely accommodate 2 people, this is not an acceptable dining experience!! If you do not have room for 4 people then do not take the reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Birthday dinnerHappydinerDined on 4/15/2014I chose this restaurant to celebrate my husband's 50th birthday. The setting is relaxed, yet cozy . The food and service were excellent! The wait staff was courteous and friendly. I don't think you could go wrong with any choice of entree here. We shared the beet salad as an appetizer, which was delectable. The lobster ravioli was phenomenal, and you could taste all of the individual flavors that went into making the dish. Sublime! The food is very affordable as well. Would definitely recommend for special occasion dining, or when you just want to go out and experience dining with a little extra flare! Brasserie 292 is a REAL GEM!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place with bad acousticsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/4/2014Seating can be an issue of you font want to fit in the middle of the room. The food was top notch as was the service. We will be backSpecial Features:
- THE BESTPleasureGutDined on 3/29/2014Definitely one of the best restaurants in the Mid-Hudson Valley. Such attention to detail and such profound understanding of flavor, consistency, texture... Incredible cocktails, as good as those at Stockade. My Manhattan was wonderful and the (partially candied) brandied cherries were the best I've had. Wonderful apps and entrees. I have had my fair share of home cured bacon, but none that I've had beats the swine they serve here. Salted caramel Pot de creme! The whipped cream and chocolate in this pot de creme were both only slightly sweet, so you are able to adjust the sweetness yourself with the layer of delicious caramel in between. It was actually refreshing. Never before have described a pot de creme as refreshing. Magical!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique Restaurant in PoughkeepsieHungryInPoughkeepsieDined on 3/23/2014The ambiance and decor instantly transported us from being in Poughkeepsie to feeling like we were in Manhattan. The waitstaff was knowledgeable, available and not overbearing. The beer selection was very good with several rare microbrews on tap. The wine selection was not extensive, but very well suited for the fare and atmosphere. The star appetizer was the Pommes Fritas Au Cheval. We followed up with salads, dinner and dessert that were all very good. Unfortunately, they were out of many items on the menu and there were many substitutions. This made it difficult for the servers to keep track of and made ordering slightly confusing. We were smiling when we left, because Brasserie 292 delivered an experience that pleased the whole group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday BrunchEllieKDined on 3/23/2014We went for a great birthday brunch at Brasserie 292. There was live music, great service and super food and cocktails. We will be back for brunch again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant WeekOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/20/2014My friend and I ordered off the Restaurant Week Menu that had nice choices. The entrees were made as requested. Our server was pleasant and knowledgeable and we enjoyed dinner. Even though the restaurant was packed, we were not rushed.Special Features:
- Good food beautiful ambianceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/19/2014We dined during restaurant week. The food was delicious and filling. Brassarie is a beautiful restaurant. The oysters were outstanding... The service was very fast. Ambiance was beautiful. Noise level was fineSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great surpriseSchultzDined on 3/19/2014Havn't been to Poughkeepsie in a long while. Great reason to go now.Special Features:
- The service was outstanding!YumYumDivaDined on 3/19/2014The service was outstanding! The wait staff were very personable, but not intrusive. Can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Out for a Saturday NightFirstimpression1Dined on 3/15/2014As the saying goes you only get one chance to make a great first impression. Luckily the Maitre d' was not the impression we were left with. This was our first dining experience here. Usually the person who has the job of greeting & seating people is a warm, friendly, inviting individual, this is certainly not the case with The Maitre d' at Brasserie 292. The restaurant was about 25% full and it was only around 6ish, but when we walked in Andrew did not even acknowledge our presence for several minutes he had his head down working on the seating chart. When he finally did look up there was not a smile, not a welcome not much of any greeting. The rest of the evening was wonderful, the food & service were fabulous.Special Features:
- Great placeSaraDined on 3/15/2014Great beer and wine list. Menu is interesting, Specials always something to note.Special Features:
- A discreet findFrenchieDined on 3/13/2014You never would think as you approach the restaurant that you find a nice place. Neighborhood is sketchy. But walk right in and you are transported to Old Paris. Ambience is fabulous. Love the decor and booths. Cuisine was excellent. Staff is very attentive. My only complaint is that the wait for our main entrees was too long. But in good company, the time passes. Food was worth the wait. I was not impressed with their wine list and recommendations. But it was decent. Dessert was delicate portion (thankfully!). Who needs a massive sweet after a wonderful dinner? Plan on spending about $75 per person for a 3-course dinner & drinks, including tip. Definitely a great place to go for a special occasion or a night out with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Should be betterDebnKevDined on 3/12/2014I feel like this place has unrealized potential--the servers are knowledgeable but not very attentive; the menu is interesting but not carefully executed. I thought the Restaurant Week menu was a poor introduction for anyone new to the place: very few & somewhat odd choices and they didn't "flow." The decor is charming but all hard surfaces so on crowded weekends, the noise level is deafening and the tables are very tight. We appreciated the Wednesday night wine special (1/2 price bottles!) and the waitress made a good recommendation when our first choice was sold out, but they only serve one dinner special each night and it's the same every week, so I'm less inclined to go back on another Wednesday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth a second visitJackDined on 3/9/2014Varied Menu Very good food Live music at brunch This is our third visit and we will be back Excellent choice for visits to our Marist studentSpecial Features:
- Amazing experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/8/2014My boyfriend and I had the most amazing date night here! The atmosphere is dressy, energetic and upbeat. The food was ridiculously good, and our wait staff was professional. I highly recommend Brasserie for anyone looking to impress a date or celebrate a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So good!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/1/2014Went to the Brasserie 292 for a small family birthday celebration dinner on Saturday and absolutely loved it! The staff is very attentive yet unobtrusive. We were celebrating my husband's birthday but never mentioned it to the staff but they noticed our toast at the table and brought out his dessert with a candle - nice touch. Food was fantastic all around. The tuna tartare appetizer was fabulous and the steak frites and salmon entrees were cooked perfectly and were delicious. For dessert we shared the chocolate creme pot and the cheesecake and they were both fantastic along with a really good cup of coffee. I would highly recommend the Brasserie 292 if you are in the Poughkeepsie area and looking for an upscale dining spot.I would recommend this to a friend.
- best pre-concert dinner spotzappafanDined on 2/22/2014We'd probably be happy with even adequate dining within walking distance of The Bardavon, so it is a great treat to have such fine diningas is served up at B292.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great atmosphere, service A+TomBDined on 2/20/2014Food was excellent, great selection of local varieties on both appetizers and dinner menu. Wait staff was extremely attentive. Would highly recommend for a date night!!Special Features:
- Valentine's dinnerkellyDined on 2/16/2014The whole experience was great,one thing however one waiter was hovering,asking several times if I was done n I wasntSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great mealRichVIPDined on 2/16/2014We were pleased to find a $1 oyster special - perfect cold, briny Bluepoints served with a nice mignonette. We always get the cheese plate and it did not disappoint; they always have interesting and tasty choices. My wife had the mussels (again) which are delicious, and my daughter and I had steak - not the most perfect cut but cooked perfectly. My poivre was not as saucy as you usually see but it was nice and peppery. The only compliant was the frites, which were delicious, but were not hot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service?miguelreyVIPDined on 2/16/2014We love this place for Sunday brunch. The food is always great. Hadn't been for a few months but last week we had a REALLY disappointing experience because of the strange and poor service. Hostess sat us at a tiny table in a back room and then sat another couple right next to us no more than 7 inches away despite the fact that no other tables were occupied. Weird and uncomfortable for both because there was zero privacy. Food runner completely packed our tiny table with too many plates and pastry basket etc., all at the same time and brought our food to wrong table twice. Didn't finish pastry basket and asked to bring it home. Disappeared and never came back. Hope it was just a bad day cause we like this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great French Spot in PoughkeepsieMarkerDined on 2/15/2014Brasserie 292 is our favorite restaurant in Poughkeepsie. When you walk in the door, it's like being transported to Paris. The food is always well executed. Salmon, duck and black bass were all top notch. The beet salad and the wedge were both very good. The only disappointment was frites that weren't piping hot. The profiteroles and the pot de creme were an excellent finish to the meal. The wine list is short, interesting and affordable. Looking forward to our next visit...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Almost PerfectPaco1369Dined on 2/15/2014My wife and I went and thoroughly enjoyed the meal and the service. The fried oysters and tuna tartare were phenomenal appetizers. My wife had the foie gras and goat cheese ravioli. Food was excellent and the server attentive. What we lacked was seating in the main dining room. The main dining area had all the ambiance and energy. There is a smaller side room; long and narrow. One guest has to sit with their back to the server. The table was too close to other diners. We will definitely go back, but, will ask to be sat ion the main dining room.Special Features:
- Worth every pennyMatthewGDined on 2/15/2014Definitely a new favorite. Everything was wonderful from the ambiance and service to the food and drinks. We had the ribeye and steak frites, and boy were those fries the best. Their house made bacon was the perfect balance of tender and crispy, the shrimp in the shrimp cocktail appetizer were gigantic, and for dessert, the box of donuts were delish! We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a great valuestatusquoDined on 2/15/2014If you value service more than quantity then this is the place for you. But if you want great value for your buck then I suggest another place. You’re paying entrée prices for appetizer portions. Be ready to spend $100/person for a satisfying meal. I do have to admit waiter/waitress service was very attending.Special Features:
- awesomeThresherDined on 2/12/2014The food at Brassiere 292 never disappoints me and my girl..I love the fresh oysters and our hostess Emily..She is so knowledge able on the food choices...I had poached lobster in butter sauce which was outstanding..Service is impeccable..Special Features:
- Went here with my grandmaOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/1/2014Went here with my grandma for a quiet lunch on a Saturday and we absolutely loved it. The mussels are out of this world as is the chocolate pot de creme. Great service. Would gladly go back any day!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food is always spot onchefgretDined on 1/31/2014The food here is unbeatable. Brasserie knows how to deliver a consistently great meal time after time. There is always a great amount of care , even love being injected in the preparation of the dishes. They are beautifully plated and every component on the plate pairs beautifully. The atmosphere is wonderful. The dining areas and even bathrooms are beautifully decorated. The wait staff is friendly, attentive and knowledgeable. I am a classically trained chef myself and my standards for fine dining restaurants are set pretty high. Out of the 5 or so times I have eaten here I have never been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was very quiet the nightblondhnkDined on 1/28/2014It was very quiet the night we dined there with only a few table occupied. The service was fantastic and done with great style. The food was perfectly prepared. There's a lot of beef on the menu, 4 entrees plus a beef special. We'd like to have seen a few other French selections like lamb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- unique experience for the area!KatieGDined on 1/26/2014Definitely a nice surprise for the area! Being someone who just got back from France I welcomed the opportunity to have a close to authentic experience without having to drive more than 5 minutes. Selections were impressive for a smaller sized location, ambiance was good, and service was wonderful very attentive and slow much like in Europe. Overall I would suggest it! They even made a kids plate for the little one since the food was a little exotic for him. Bar got a little loud later on in the evening, that was the only downfall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Excellent ExperienceJoshDined on 1/25/2014I was pleased to find the restaurant still fairly busy even though it snowed all day. Nothing worse than eating somewhere that is empty. Service was attentive, but not over-bearing. The food was simply outstanding...everything was well-seasoned and cooked properly. We had an extended dinner...it felt like being back in Paris and enjoying a nice long dinner without feeling like you were being pushed out the door.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.