Au Midi Restaurant & Bistrot
7960 Soquel Dr Ste E
Aptos, CA 95003Neighborhood:
Contemporary FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
Au Midi Restaurant & Bistrot
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://aumidi.com/about.php
- Phone: 8316852600
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Wed-Sa 11:30am-2:00pm
Dinner: W-Su 5:30pm-9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Gastro Pub, Contemporary French
- Executive Chef: Muriel Loubiere
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Gluten-free Menu, High Tea, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Au Midi offers a seasonal menu of traditional and contemporary french cooking featuring fresh and locally sourced meats and produce.
- Cross Street: State Park Drive
- Public Transit: The Santa Cruz/Watsonville MTA bus #71 and #91 Express drops patrons off within easy walking distance of Au Midi.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Conveniently located near the heart of Aptos, CA, Au Midi offers front-door parking in a well-lit and accessible private lot.
A word from Au Midi Restaurant & Bistrot
For Muriel, cooking is more than a career; it is an ever-growing passion. Starting with a deep appreciation for the raw product and with unflinching attention to every detail, everything is done to create and present deceptively simple dishes. Open to every flavor, curious about new ideas, Muriel is constantly trying to refine her art. It is done with passion, deep knowledge and a humble attitude. Of course the flavors of Provence are often present in the dishes she prepares, but it is no surprise that many of these are also found in our area. Olive oil, garlic and artichoke, plus much of the produce are grown on this lovely Central coast. Muriel"s other tempting culinary creations are simply the result of her affinity for good food, no matter whence comes! With the husband greeting the customers and the wife feeding them, "Au Midi" is definitely a family restaurant. It is also a cosmopolitan place with a warm ambiance and a sunny soul!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Au Midi Restaurant & Bistrot - Best Restaurants in Aptos ›
Au Midi Restaurant & Bistrot reviews from OpenTable diners
45 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (33)neighborhood gem (33)fit for foodies (32)romantic (23)notable wine list (10)good for groups (4)great for lunch (1)Show More
- This one is a don't miss!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/6/2013This has to be one of the top five restaurants we have ever eaten at (and that includes France and New York). DO NOT be put off by the location in the strip mall or the lack of ambiance. They have put their efforts and love into the food. We started with the snail ravioli ... a fusion of Asian and French cuisine. My husband had the sole with the squid risotto ... amazing! I had the pork loin with (wait for it) a rhubarb reduction ... it was heaven with every bite. We usually don't do dessert but the apple tartine with ginger ice cream and the berries with the lemon gelatto was the perfect ending. This was more than a meal, this was a culinary experience. It's worth the trip to Aptos.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine Dining in a Strip MalldatspeedVIPDined on 7/6/2013You'd never know it existed - in a non-descript strip mall in Aptos. But go! We were there for lunch and it was a wonderful experience - the food, the presentation, the service and the ambience. Every dish we tried was great! The soup du our was a fresh vegetable soup, we had the crispy goat cheese salad, Mue's mussels (the sauce was excellent) and the Couscuous of Quinoa (vegetarian but very flavorful. Don' t miss the desserts - the french apple pie (served warm) and the white poached peach (the basil-verbena sherbet - wow!) were both very good. We'll be back for dinner.Special Features:
- A well-kept secret hiddenJohnDVIPDined on 7/5/2013A well-kept secret hidden behind the UPS store, this little French gem is the genuine article, owned by a French chef and her maitre de husband. Great food, great staff, great experience.Special Features:
- Au Midi is FABULOUS!!!!!DancinfrankDined on 7/5/2013Hadn't been to Au Midi in a while and took some friends for dinner. Well, the food was magnificent!!!!! Had the snail ravioli, to die for, the wines by the glass or bottle are really good, a good selection of French and local wines. My main course was incredible. I had the filet with morrel sauce and it was cooked to perfection with a side of scalloped potatoes and a stuff zucchini. All of it was delicious. Of course Muriel's desserts are great too. I highly recommend this restaurant to anybody. It is truly a GEM!!!!Special Features:
- SubstitutioneatingitupDined on 7/5/2013My husband ordered the duck because the menu said it came with a thinly sliced potato tart which sounded good to him. When it came, it had polenta instead, which he dislikes. When we questioned them, they did bring vegetables instead, but he would have originally ordered something else if he had been told polenta would be substituted for the potato tart. No apology was offered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovely placecuisinistaDined on 7/2/2013We've eaten at Au Midi twice recently, times very nice. We both had the stuffed piquillo peppers first then we had pork, perfectly cooked with an excellent sweet/tart sauce, and salmon on baby peas with an excellent saffron/vanilla savory custard sauce. We were asked how we like our entre with respect to doneness. Both were cooked exactly right. The nougat ice cream dessert was very good. Another time we had the duck legs. The sauce was nice but the legs were a bit tough and stringy. The white peach dessert was excellent. We have eaten at Au Midi many times since it opened. I recommend any dish with a custard sauce and any meat or fish that needs to be cooked rare to medium rare. When they serve duck breast it is always excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A true taste of ProvenceOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/2/2013After a visit to Au Midi in the town of Aptos a few minutes south of Santa Cruz you will never again think Left Bank serves French food. While not likely to win a Michelin star Au Midi serves up genuine French dishes that remind one of what cooking can be like if we actually paid attention. The meal we had here felt hand made and reflected carefully chosen and fresh ingredients. A marvelous goat cheese salad was followed by a great bowl of tasty mussels no doubt fished out of the nearby ocean that very AM. A couple of marvelous unique deserts followed. Stereotypically I had hoped for some escargot and creme brûlée but I was pleased to try some new dishes as these were not on the lunch menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Like a trip to Provence. TheTimhr950Dined on 6/29/2013Like a trip to Provence. The atmoshere, the food; all like a trip to Aix, or Antibes. We're going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!UrsoVIPDined on 6/28/2013Amazing food - had their snail ravioli for an appetizer, and wished it was an entree! Entrees were equally delicious, and French apple pie for desert was to die for! Definitely pay them a visit if you are in the area. Windy Oaks Estate Pinot Noir that they recommended was also great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner is An EventOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/27/2013My husband and I returned to Au Midi last week and were happily reminded of the outstanding food and excellent service. It's hard to believe that this wonderful restaurant is minutes from our home. Well worth the visit for any occasion or for none at all!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Provencal restaurant in AptosprovencalDined on 6/26/2013We are fans of this restaurant and this dinner was fantastic. They had a special menu for the day which they called a " Summer Blast." It started off with monkish with fennel and carrots in a vodka sauce, short ribs so tender you could cut it with a spoon with polenta and vegetables in a red wine sauce. The sauce for the first course and second course were both unique and delicious. The dessert was a vanilla panna cotta with pineapple, crushed coconut macaroon which was the best . My husband who usually favors the floating island said this was the best dessert ever. It was light and delicious. The service was impeccable. Great dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- experience fantastiqueMadameGourmandeDined on 6/11/2013Michel & Muriel are very accessible & accomodating. They are consummate professionals We all were very happy with every aspect of our afternoon, even having some wonderful surprises! This is by far the best run bistro in the county. It should go without saying That the food is delightful and one should never bypass a dessert from Au MIDI.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Provencal restaurantprovencalDined on 5/31/2013I've been to Au Midi many times, and would highly recommend this restaurant. The selections are always delicious and beautifully presented. We had the sweet onion soup, monkfish appetizer with chorizo, petrale sole on a bed of risottos,squid and sweet onion reduction ,and a new ravioli dish, dessert was to die for: poached peach with fresh strawberry and raspberry colis, chocolate and ginger cake with creme brulee,orange and flourless chocolate and nuts biscuit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quaint & Delicious.OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/21/2013My husband and I were on the hunt for some great local spots to frequent regularly. This unassuming restaurant in in a strip plaza, sandwiched in between a yarn store and a UPS location. The service was excellent, and the food was exquisite. The whipped polenta had a taste and texture I had never known before... and I hope it stays on the menu forever. The beet and goat cheese "salad" made me LOVE red beets, though I generally do not like them. They were finely diced, and the goat cheese was magnificently whipped. I ordered the pork loin (first time ordering pork loin ever) and my husband ordered the sole with risotto. Both were SPLENDID. The floating island meringue dessert was unique, beautiful and wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As always, the dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/17/2013As always, the dining experience at Au Midi is special. The food is exceptional. Skuna Bay Salmon is a new-found treat for foodies. The mussels are the best around!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- True French dining in AptoslivetoeatDined on 5/16/2013We enjoyed our visit to Au Midi very much. The food was typical of what you find in the south of France. Service was excellent; however I should add that we were one of three tables; it was a Thursday evening. I had a great onion/mushroom soup as a starter and a filet of sole as main course; the sole was served on a bed of risotto, corn, and calamari pieces...very unique. For dessert we both ordered the floating island. It was one of the best I have had in any restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Wonderful Dining Experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/16/2013Overall excellent! Would heartily recommend for someone desiring a fine dining experience with great food very well presented and with wonderful eye appeal. Speaking as one with over 35 years in the hospitality industry, who was a restaurater in a fine dining 7 course dinner house in the Central Valley, we were very impressed. We were made to feel very welcome, and very much enjoyed ourselves the entire evening.Special Features:
- Michel made the experienceLucilightDined on 4/13/2013Michel made the experience very special. He is truly a typical energetic French man. Made us feel almost at home. Loved to hear him speak French with my husband and put up with my FrancoSpanglish. We had the monkfish appetizer with a kir royal. The Bordeaux my husband chose was exquisite and complimented the entrees very well. I enjoyed my favorite French dessert -Île Flotante! It's almost as good as the one my sister-in-law makes back in France. Certainly a repeat for us. Merci Michel!Special Features:
- A wonderful restaurant withRBC1VIPDined on 4/10/2013A wonderful restaurant with exceptional food and friendly service. This is a gem. If this restaurant was located in San Francisco you would wait a month to get a reservation. We ate here two weeks ago for dinner and returned yesterday for lunch. Both times were delightful, the food delicious. I highly recommend you try this restaurant for a most enjoyable meal. Authentic French food and lovely ambiance. This is the best restaurant in Aptos and the Santa Cruz area.Special Features:
- Glad to finally dine at thisOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/9/2013Glad to finally dine at this great little restaurant.Special Features:
- Calamari risotto with sole!!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/6/2013By far the best food in Santa Cruz county. Once you get past the parking lot, you will feel like you are in France. We had the mussels and the sole. The sole was served with a calamari risotto which was just amazing! My friends also seemed to really enjoy the mussels. You can get many nice carefully selected French wines at a very reasonable price, I like the Provence rose from the owners region this time of tear for an aperitif.Special Features:
- Au Midi is one of the veryOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/6/2013Au Midi is one of the very best restaurants in Santa Cruz county. The food is consistently excellent (a rarity in SC) and beautifully served. Michel and Muriel, owners/chef, are perfect hosts, attentive and knowledgeable about food and wine. This hidden gem is a great place to have a relaxing, wonderful meal on par with the best San Francisco has to offer.Special Features:
- Often dine woth Michel andTurleyfanDined on 4/5/2013Often dine woth Michel and Mu at u Midi..Never disappointed..The new treatment of the duck l'organge was delic and the lamb entree waqs superb..The monkfish and choizo appetizer was a bit mild for my palate but understand the need to tone down,, Can highly recommend this establishment and the special occassion menues (Bastille Day/new years etc are not to be missedSpecial Features:
- The food was exceptional,MauriceDined on 4/3/2013The food was exceptional, and the restaurant is small and the atmosphere great even in the small shopping center it is in. The chefs are creative and the food is prepared and presented with a flair. The restaurant is run by a couple one of whom greeted us when we arrived.Special Features:
- My wife had the beet saladOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/30/2013My wife had the beet salad and I had the onion soup; both were a great start. She chose the duck and I had the lamb loin. Both were cooked as ordered and to perfection, and the servings were both generous and beautifully presented. The French wine we chose from their modest list was no longer available, but the owner-suggested local pinot noir was a wonderful substitute. We split a very decadant chocolate dessert, and our stomachs smiled all the way home.Special Features:
- I hesitate to say too muchTooShortDined on 3/28/2013I hesitate to say too much nice about this local gem. Suffice to say it is our "go-to" place for delicious country-style French cuisine.Special Features:
- I felt like I was in FranceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/16/2013I felt like I was in France - meaning the service was slow despite only 3 tables I people in the restaurant (9 people all together). First the waiter gave us the dinner menus (we were there at lunch). The menu listed the ingredients on my salad but then it came with choppe green bell peppers over he top of it that we're not listed. I don't care for bell peppers. The food was good but I don't think I'd go back with other good restaurants in the area. Too bad because I wanted to like it.
- This restaurant is one ofPepeDavidDined on 3/15/2013This restaurant is one of the best in Santa Cruz County!! We always have an excellent meal here! The wine list is great also.Special Features:
- Fabulous French Food!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/22/2013Truly French food...like teleporting yourself to Paris. The dishes are refined and inventive, but there are always some French comfort foods as well. Everything is beautifully presented and delicious. Very nice wine list with both French and Central Coast selections. A must try!Special Features:
- We went to Au Midi based onOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 2/22/2013We went to Au Midi based on the reviews of previous guests and were not disappointed. The goat cheese and beets appetizer was delicious and cooling. We had the pork tenderloin and the chicken fricassee - both were flavorful and tender. Every meal was well presented yet without the current trend to frou-frou (translate to cutsie). Don't let the shopping center locale and plain exterior deny you the joy of this restaurant. Bonne appetit!Special Features:
- I had never heard of thisHappyDinerDined on 2/16/2013I had never heard of this spot until I received a gift certificate toward a meal. My wife and I went last weekend and had a great meal. The servers were relaxed and friendly, but professional. The food was very French in conception and execution (small, filling portions; high attention to sauces and presentation). It was also surprisingly affordable.Special Features:
- My husband and I enjoyed theOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 2/16/2013My husband and I enjoyed the food and wine was fabulous. Good price! The owner was really nice.
- My husband and I dine at AuOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 2/16/2013My husband and I dine at Au Midi often. The chef is excellent, as is Michel's service. One of our favorite restaurants in Santa Cruz county.Special Features:
- My husband and I were therelmrhDined on 2/15/2013My husband and I were there when they first opened and figured they needed to work the bugs out. And then he went with a group of friends recently and said we had to go back it was so good. I ordered their salmon which the owner told me was changed from the menu and when I asked if the sides on it were the same he nodded yes, but I know when it came that he didn't understand me (wish I spoke French!). The salmon was wonderful, but the side was just okay. My husbands mussels were excellent and the wine they recommended was good as well. We had a meringue dessert that was good, but $7.50 for basically sweet air and cream. We will give it another try, but I will be much more thorough in sleuthing out what I order.Special Features:
- Not AgainOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 2/14/2013Not a good spot for Valentine's Day. Here's why: * $75 price fix menu * Food did not look or taste good. Adventurous menu, but they did not pull it off. * Overpacked restaurant * Not enough staff to wait on tables * Not a comfortable enviroment with cold air flooding the place when the front door opened. I gather that Au Midi puts together a great french dinner on most nights. Dinner was a flop on Valentine's Day.
- AuMidi was a great choicekymoreDined on 2/14/2013AuMidi was a great choice for Valentine's dinner. It was a fixed menu and everything was wonderful. Looking to going back to try their full menu. They are also open for lunch.Special Features:
- The food was great. ServiceSandyDined on 2/13/2013The food was great. Service was okay. We typically only come here for a special occasion as it is expensive. The food was awesome, a bit on the smaller side; but it's French, what do you expect? I wouldn't be able to come here all the time; but when I do I've never been disappointed in the food.Special Features:
- Best French food outside FranceOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 2/6/2013What a delight. My wife had the salmon which was cooked to perfection while I had the Cassoulet. I lived in Paris for ten years and Au Midi's cassoulet was as good as any I tasted in France. For dessert I can recommend the "Floating Island" which we shared. Run entirely by a French couple with a clear passion for the business, this is the real thing. We were in Aptos on vacation from New York so sad that Au Midi is so far away. We'll definitely visit again if we are anywhere remotely near Aptos in the future.Special Features:
- I love this restaurant! TheOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/2/2013I love this restaurant! The food was fabulous, especially the salmon! Everyone in my party loved their dinner! The service was the best ever! I enjoyed the intimate and low-key atmosphere, and will definitely return!Special Features:
- Authentic and good frenchOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 1/24/2013Authentic and good french cooking. Lovely presentations - not frou-frou. Beautiful sauces. Gracious hospitality . . . as EVERY guest prepared to leave, the owner was waiting at the front door to thank them and bid farewell. Je revien!Special Features: