Au Midi Restaurant & Bistrot
7960 Soquel Dr Ste E
Aptos, CA 95003Neighborhood:
Contemporary FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
Au Midi Restaurant & Bistrot
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://aumidi.com/about.php
- Phone: 8316852600
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Wed-Sa 11:30am-2:00pm
Dinner: W-Su 5:30pm-9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Gastro Pub, Contemporary French
- Executive Chef: Muriel Loubiere
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Gluten-free Menu, High Tea, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Au Midi offers a seasonal menu of traditional and contemporary french cooking featuring fresh and locally sourced meats and produce.
- Cross Street: State Park Drive
- Public Transit: The Santa Cruz/Watsonville MTA bus #71 and #91 Express drops patrons off within easy walking distance of Au Midi.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Conveniently located near the heart of Aptos, CA, Au Midi offers front-door parking in a well-lit and accessible private lot.
A word from Au Midi Restaurant & Bistrot
For Muriel, cooking is more than a career; it is an ever-growing passion. Starting with a deep appreciation for the raw product and with unflinching attention to every detail, everything is done to create and present deceptively simple dishes. Open to every flavor, curious about new ideas, Muriel is constantly trying to refine her art. It is done with passion, deep knowledge and a humble attitude. Of course the flavors of Provence are often present in the dishes she prepares, but it is no surprise that many of these are also found in our area. Olive oil, garlic and artichoke, plus much of the produce are grown on this lovely Central coast. Muriel"s other tempting culinary creations are simply the result of her affinity for good food, no matter whence comes! With the husband greeting the customers and the wife feeding them, "Au Midi" is definitely a family restaurant. It is also a cosmopolitan place with a warm ambiance and a sunny soul!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Au Midi Restaurant & Bistrot - Best Restaurants in Aptos ›
Au Midi Restaurant & Bistrot reviews from OpenTable diners
50 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (36)special occasion (36)neighborhood gem (35)romantic (26)notable wine list (11)good for groups (4)great for lunch (2)Show More
- Wonderful cuisineReneeKDined on 2/19/2014I love Au Midi. The food is always superb and Michel is such a wonderful host.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the BestFoodieInTrainingDined on 2/18/2014in Santa Cruz county. A hidden gem of a restaurant. Everything our party of 4 tried was delicious. This was my 4th time to Au Midi -- twice for lunch; twice for dinner. My dinner companions had never been to Au Midi before. We will all go back again. Not a huge menu but with something for everyone. Nice presentation. Limited but good wine list. Desserts divine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The service in this restaurantGolosoneDined on 2/15/2014The service in this restaurant is much more professional than many in the area. We have been several times, and this has always been the case. Also, the food is so expertly prepared, that it should get six stars.Special Features:
- Au MidiOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/15/2014Au Midi is absolutely FABULOUS! It is the best food we have had in both Santa Cruz and Santa Clara County. The husband/wife team running the restaurant have a real gem nestled away in Aptos! It is a MUST try...believe me, you will be back for more!!!Special Features:
- Enjoyable experience!foodiechatterDined on 2/15/2014This is a small, intimate restaurant located in a very unpretentious "strip mall". At first glance, you're wondering how it's been so successful in such a common location. The restaurant is rather small and the tables are a bit too close but the immediate and engaging service eliminates your trepidation right away. The menu is quite small but well-chosen with dishes described in amazing detail. The beet and goat cheese appetizer was superb and a great starter. Our entrees of mussels and scallops were amazing and their presentations were beautiful. The wait staff were timely, never too far away but sensitive to any needs. The owner visited each table at least once which makes the experience so much more personal. Great place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Valentine's Day Feast EverOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 2/14/2014My wife and I have often gone out on Valentine's Day, but we have never before been rewarded with such a sumptuous meal. We had smoked oyster with lemon granité, sea urchin with sunchoke mousse topped by a sabayon sauce and a verbena emulsion, veal tenderloin infused with morels, Madeira, and arabica coffee, and a desert featuring a macaroon filled with custard and raspberries, garnished in true Valentine's Day fashion with sugared rose petals. Muriel Loubiere, the extraordinary chef of Au Midi Bistrot, combined these exotic tastes into novel and incredibly pleasing dishes. My wife was over the moon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A delight to the eye and tastebuds.provencalDined on 2/14/2014We have become regulars at Au Midi's special events. The chef has never disappointed us. Each event amazes us at the extent of her creativity. The Valentine's Day event was out of this world. Starting off with an oyster in lemon granite, sea urchin in a verbena emulsion, veal tenderloin and a delightful valentine macaroon. The wait staff were attentive, and the meals arrived promptly. We would highly recommend Au Midi for a wonderful provencal experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best French foodAlgotronDined on 2/13/2014My wife and I came to Au Midi for a pre-Valentine's Day dinner & had a great evening. I had the scallops and my wife had the fillet mignon. Both dishes were well prepared and served with delicious sauces. We paired our meal with a tasty Corralitos Ridge Syrah. For the best French food in Santa Cruz county, you will enjoy Au Midi!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- French flairKibblyDined on 2/13/2014Always delicious, the stand outs from this visit were the beef daube ( chunks of perfectly cooked fall apart meat and veggies) in a deep and flavorful sauce with cognac, and the duck which was cooked to pink perfection ( they asked and that's how I like it done), looked lovely on the plate and the flavors were also well put together and tasty. The Cassoulet also won praise.... A very nice evening in a local stand out restaurant. Thank you :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Au midi always excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 2/8/2014We have been coming to au midi periodically for years. It is always excellent. The food preparations are the most inventive and impressive of any restaraunt in the county. The presentation and flavors are fantastic. Superior sauces and beautiful ingredients. It's a bit off the beaten track but it is clearly the best dining restaraunt in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best In the AreaOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/7/2014Superb chef - great concepts, flavours, innovation and delivery.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never ha a bad meal. VeryOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/1/2014Never ha a bad meal. Very friendly staff and owner.Special Features:
- First time at Au Midi andOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/1/2014First time at Au Midi and woudl definitely be back. Beef stew was amazing and so tender it just melted in you rmouth. Awesome with a bottle of Windy Oaks pinot.....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden gemPaulaDined on 1/31/2014Always the food was wonderful the birthday dessert. Bergamont was very decadent and delioious highly recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stellar French Cuisine in AptosOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 1/23/2014Muriel Loubiere, chef of Au Midi, is one of the top culinary geniuses of the central coast, and she is here in Aptos. The veal sweetbreads, presented with a pair of perfectly complementing sauces, are out of this world. The duck magret draws out the flavor of the meat in a way that I have not found anywhere else. The braised halibut in a lemongrass and ginger emulsion is the best presentation of that fish that I have ever tasted. The space is a bit boxy, but they have covered the walls in attractive paintings that improve the atmosphere a great deal. If you live in south Santa Cruz county, this should be your main place for special meals. If you are touring the central coast, get off Highway 1 at State Park Drive and to to Au Midi!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Refined cuisine in a strip mallElMagnificoDined on 1/21/2014While one would expect to find such gem in a small out of the way shopping center, the detour is well worth it. Be prepared to be mesmerized by the creativity and delicate taste of the offering. Add to it a great dose of genuine care and friendliness from the owner husband and you have a winning formula for a great gastronomic evening. The plus of the shopping mall is the ease of parking. Once inside the restaurant, you quickly forget where it is as you immerse yourself in the delicacy of a great French meal made with care and passion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing foodabergeDined on 1/16/2014I love this place! I've had dinner there once a week lately, and it is always a great experience. The food is wonderful, very authentic French. The deserts are absolutely to die for, and the wine list is a good match for the entrees.Special Features:
- A taste of the French at its best!WishiwasachefDined on 1/16/2014My first experience at dining at Au Midi, which is tucked into a strip mall and hard to see from the street. The atmosphere was relaxed, quiet and enjoyable. A lot of the patrons looked like "locals" - which to me is always a good sign. Each of us ordered a different entree, and we all tried each others. I was very pleased with my cassoulet (generous), but the mussels (very generous, too) were outstanding because of the wonderful sauce. The other member of the party ordered scallops, which were served in a bed of delicious rissotto. All 3 of us were very pleased with our orders. I also recommend the house salad. I am not a wine expert, but the offerings were French wines. Mine was exceptional and the others also seemed pleased.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special restaurantjoanneeeeDined on 1/14/2014Although the prices are a tad high for dinner, the French owner makes everything fresh and, as a result, it's very tasty. Try the Salmon and Potato pie with salad, or the hot ham and cheese sandwich -- both make excellent lunch choices. Desserts are expensive but big enough that two can share one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We both agreeLuckydinerSLVVIPDined on 1/8/2014Take your friend that loves to eat. You know the one. She loves great flavors, well prepared food and quality. She's been known to book her European trips with a stop in NYC just to dine. You will find those worth traveling to France flavors here! My dining champion ordered the “Daube Provencale”: Beef stew marinated with wine and cognac. Stew does not do this dish justice. Tender beef in beautiful sauce with add. veggies. Bread soaked for last bits.. My scallops with mushrooms, broccolini, risotto/orzo dish was tender and unique. The luxurious creme flavor with foam. So light. Well priced wine, very personal and attentive service despite the full house Wed. Panna cotta with rhubarb jelly, basil infused strawberry with granite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As good as it getsprovencalDined on 12/31/2013This is our second French Reveillon dinner which was amazing. The first course with the lobster in a cognac sauce was sublime, the second course was a truly unique dish with sea urchin and verbena emulsion, third course with duck breast and macaroon was delicious, four course filet mignon with braised lettuce , berry chutney and crispy potatoes in a truffle and wine reduction was incredible and the fifth course chestnut confit meringue with poached pear, Wow! The lovely dining experience is one you don't want to miss. You can see why Muriel , the chef received the honor of best chefs in America.Special Features:
- Make the trip to Au MididatspeedVIPDined on 12/28/2013What a wonderful neighborhood restaurant in Aptos! Excellent french cuisine with an emphasis on local, fresh ingredients. The menu changes throughout the year. Worth the drive from the South Bay. Everything we tried were well prepared and presented! The flavors were excellent. Started with the butternut squash soup and ravioli of french snails; entrees - duck magret, cassoulet and the scallops (which were not on the on-line menu) - every dish was just fantastic! We shared the bergamotte dessert based on bergamotte orange. In all a wonderful experience.Special Features:
- A new try for usOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/18/2013I am conflicted. Ambiance is certainly lacking, mostly because of location. Yoga Studio on one side and martial arts with kids on the other. I am older and it didn't appeal. Food was good, we all enjoyed. Wine list missing. We did not enjoy our wine, but then we chose it, so not their fault. Overpriced, tho. Small restaurant, for the price, no one was "dressed" so the flavor was not there. 4 of us and we walked out with a $300.00 tab. Was our food good.? Yes. Would I go back? Maybe for lunch. I doubt we would do dinner again.Special Features:
- FABulous!SandyDined on 11/27/2013Had a wonderful dinner celebrating my mother's birthday. She enjoyed her duck entree very much. Everything was great. That floating islands dessert was absolutely delicious!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An Epicurean DelightOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/22/2013We always feel fortunate to have such a special French restaurant nearby in Aptos. Although located in a small retail center, once inside all diners are bound to feel special. The best thing about Au Midi is, of course, the delicious food! We have recently discovered Skuna Bay Salmon. It is prepared to order and is the tastiest salmon ever; pale pink, tender, almost fluffy, with a delicate flavor. Au Midi's mussel entree is a large dish with "artistically arranged" mussels in a scrumptious sauce. Be sure to take home any extra sauce to use over pasta the next day! This is a special place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just ExcellentescargotDined on 11/21/2013We celebrated our anniversary there this week and were again treated to an excellent and inventive dining experience. A go-to place for that special dinner.Special Features:
- Great French place in AptosBuffVIPDined on 11/2/2013Found out of the way in a shopping center, Au Midi is a real neighborhood gem. It has a small menu which is entirely excellent; we went with a group on 10 and everyone left raving about this place. I had an old friend which I have had an many restaurants, Cassoulet; and it was perfect containing two types of sausage, beans, duck, all in a broths of amazing richness. That's it :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kitchen errors mar experienceMBrodyVIPDined on 10/26/2013This is my third time here. This time the kitchen sent out the wrong salad for my wife. I had the sweetbread appetizer which I finished well before they brought the correct salad for her. Probably a 20 minute wait. She ultimately liked her salad which was a beet and goat cheese combination. My sweetbreads were only fair as their consistency was not as silky as I am used to. The wait for our main entrees was interminable. The owner came to apologize but the wait really reduced our evenings enjoyment. The owner offered a free desert but we declined . I was surprised that the owner didn't offer to waive the corkage on the wine bottle we brought. He did so after I asked which was somewhat consoling. We will go back and hope for better service.
- Trip to provence!provencalDined on 10/9/2013I just returned from provence, and the food at Au Midi is so much better! My husband started the meal with the soup du jour, sweet onion topped with a dollop of pesto and hazelnuts. He then had the braised halibut that comes with a ravioli and potato cloud. I had the filet mignon with morel mushroom and Madeira wine sauce and thinly sliced tart of potato. Very delicious sauce.The final piece de resisitance was the vanilla panna cotta with rhubarb jelly,and strawberries. The minute we entered the restaurant, we felt welcomed. It was easy to make a reservation by using Open Table. The food is always delicious and Muriel, the chef is always finding creative new sauces to use . We would recommend Au Midi if you want a taste of provence.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed.SVGalDined on 9/13/2013First, and last, visit to Au Midi. Was surprised at the appearance of the restaurant, as we were expecting something nicer based on the prices on the menu I saw online. Owner seated us and said he had bread in the oven and would bring it soon. The bread he then brought was literally ice-cold, and accompanied by cold butter. My salad had an odd taste, that my husband and I both felt tasted of laundry detergent or hand soap. I ordered a Moroccan-spiced stew, and my husband had salmon. He said the salmon was good, nothing special. My stew looked, and tasted, like a can of Chunky soup. From the sound of microwaves dinging within the hidden kitchen, I am sure that it was something reheated. A very expensive lunch that disappointed.
- prix fixe menu delightoftenouttodinnerDined on 8/28/2013Our experience at Au Midi is always great, lunch or dinner. If we lived closer or had no traffic issues to get here, we'd be here all the time. It is a gem of a restaurant, always a little surprising, always top notch. The prix fixe dinner that was served on Wednesday was as good as anything you'd find anywhere in France. My rating is "sublime".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't let its location fool you!FormerChicagoFoodieVIPDined on 8/24/2013Love, love, love Au Midi! I have been a couple times and will be back again and again - not only because it is close to my office, but the food is delicious and the service is very nice. I am so glad a colleague told me about it - I may have passed it up (or not noticed it) in its strip mall location. Don't make that mistake!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My connection to provencal cuisineprovencalDined on 8/23/2013Wonderful dinner! As always creative and delicious sauces . I had the escargot ravioli appetizer, filet mignon with morrill mushroom sauce, our friends had the Papeton , and Couscous of Quinoa. Dessert was floating island and apple pie with ginger ice cream. Service was attentive . We had had fantastic dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/3/2013My boyfriend and I thought we'd switch it up a little bit and try something different and this place was great! Great food, great atmosphere, good wine selection, and food I normally wouldn't order. My only complaint is the portion sizes but it is french cuisine so it totally makes sense, but I would still highly recommend it!Special Features:
- An Aptos TraditionnomyfoodDined on 7/26/2013I have always appreciated the restaurant scene in Aptos (there's a restaurant scene in Aptos????). Er,....yes! Chez Renee, Ma Maison, Sushi On the Run, Sid's (great cheeseburger), Gordos (typico tacos), Bittersweet. You name it, Aptos has it. Au Medi? It's not suppose to be cheap! For what you get in terms of quality, WOW! Never had one dish that wasn't in the 8-9 range. The duck my son had the other night was a 10. My pork loin was close. Why go to Monterey, Carmel or SF? Au Medi competes with the best!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- deliciouslunchzoutDined on 7/24/2013Onion cream soup was outstanding, itself worth the trip to Aptos. Would definitely return to try more of the lunch offerings, especially the ratatouille.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Searching for a special event mealOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/20/20137 of us will be going to the theater in 2 weeks, at 7:30. We will be talking a lot, and most have hearing loss of varying degree. If we can get right down to the business of choosing and ordering, the 5:30 opening dinner hour will be fine. As it was, no one wanted to look at the menu while we greeted and chatted with each other, and the 6:00 dinner hour wiould have been too late. I'll suggest reading your menu on-line beforehand, so that questions can be quickly resolved. We'll appreciate the quiet, but will probably be noisy oursleves! But if that party does not work out we will return - maybe all 4 of us - and be quiet, and order snails, some other time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic French Unexpected LocaleFormerChicagoFoodieVIPDined on 7/17/2013Awesome food and wine in a little Aptos strip mall - LOVE it and will be back many times. The food and service are outstanding!Special Features:
- Great Bastille FeastBastilleBoyDined on 7/14/2013Great job, you guys. Seated immediately. Warm greeting, great food, fabulous service by an entire team. Definitely going back.Special Features:
- Excellent food.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/13/2013there were 5 in our party. One stated it was the BEST salmon her ever had. 2 of us had the delicious mussels and 2 had the fantastic pork tenderloin with a rhubarb sauce. The staff was very attentive without hovering. Would highly recommend and we are looking forward to a return visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.