40 Kenmare Street
New York, NY 10012Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://cantineparisienne.com/
- Phone: 2129662740
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Saturday: 6:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French, Contemporary French
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Cantine Parisienne
Contemporary French restaurant located in the Nolitan Hotel. Offering wines by the glass and original cocktails.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Cantine Parisienne reviews from OpenTable diners
74 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (34)neighborhood gem (32)good for groups (24)great for brunch (23)romantic (22)great for lunch (15)notable wine list (13)hot spot (12)special occasion (11)late-night find (8)kid-friendly (6)scenic view (5)vibrant bar scene (3)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Brunch Spot with Great ServiceAntoinetteDined on 12/21/2013This was a very hip brunch spot playing 70s and 80s music throughout the morning. The waitstaff was super friendly and attentive. Some places I've been to with unlimited drinks at brunch avoid you and don't refill your drink, but the wait staff here would always refill our drinks in a timely fashion and never rushed us to leave -- very accommodating and welcoming. The potatoes here seemed very plain and yet were delicious! Steak was perfectly seasoned and cooked to your liking. I would definitely come here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Used a Blackboard Eats fosilkcityVIPDined on 12/14/2013Used a Blackboard Eats fo find this place; glad I did. Had perhaps the best steak frites ever, not an exaggeration. Nice menu with a imited but adequate wine list. Ambience includes an interesting eye level view of the street. Don't miss this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunch at Cantine ParisienneOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 12/12/2013We had a great lunch here in mid-December 2013. Great lunch specials. I had a salad with small scallops and mentioned to the staff that it was the best salad I've had in memory. Simple, but perfectly executed. We only had lunch here so can't comment on dinner--until we go back for dinner!Special Features:
- The food was good but theTeemVIPDined on 12/8/2013The food was good but the portions were small. Good service and great scenery!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not my best experiencefoodloverDined on 12/8/2013I purchased a pulse deal: $30 for 2 people, which consisted of one choice of entree and unlimited drinks for 1.5 hours. After being seated our waiter did not come back to our table after approx 10 minutes and this was after we tried very hard to get his attention. The drinks were very slow to come once we ordered it along with the food. The slice of salmon on my friend's "Viking" order was appalling. We were still hungry after our meal so I ordered a side of toast. My 4 slices of toast was put in front of me on a tiny plate with no butter or jelly - before I had a chance to ask for silverware and butter, the waiter had already vanished. Overall I would never go there again and would not recommend this place.
- Unexpected PleasureNohoVizVIPDined on 12/6/2013This restaurant is next to a boutique hotel and looks somewhat spare given the larger than usual space for restaurants in the neighborhood. Was not crowded on a Friday night when we were seated, but gradually filled up later in the evening. Food is very good for the price (the risotto and chicken entrees were standouts, but everyone in our group enjoyed their dishes) and the service was cordial. Very laid back music and vibe. Would definitely come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great finddineswellVIPDined on 11/13/2013The food is very good and the prices are much more reasonable than other restaurants of the same quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not very good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/6/2013We thought the menu sounded interesting and healthy but every dish we ordered turned out to be greasy/fried. Dessert was a disappointment too. The apple tartin (apple tart) was all dough.
- lovely placeJennlVIPDined on 11/1/2013Really enjoyed this place. Beautiful setting, well-prepared food and pleasant service. Definitely a bright spot in the neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, fantastic service.nycdinerVIPDined on 10/28/2013We dined on a Monday night, and the restaurant was quiet but the food and service were top-notch. Classic French fare done very well with a few pleasant surprises. Nice wine list featuring some less traveled French regions was a great bonus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Probably wouldn't go againBBBLLLVIPDined on 10/18/2013The decor was very 90's and the chairs were cheap looking. The maitre d' seemed clueless and pre-occupied. The food wasn't very refined though the barrata was good. But they probably didn't make it themselves.
- I waited at the top of theVanessaVIPDined on 10/17/2013I waited at the top of the stairs for service for ten minutes and no one acknowledged me despite there being 4 servers/employees nearby. There was literally no one in the entire place, so it was surprising. The food was good, and the service was fast once I was seated. But I feel that there is no sense of welcome to this place. I would give it another try (especially with a discount), but otherwise, I would likely not go back-- which is too bad, as the food was good.Special Features:
- Great food, eh experience...MarcVIPDined on 9/7/2013But mostly because they weren't busy...what gives? Good menu, good portions, but there were no other diners on a Saturday night! Made me feel like I was doing something wrong...but hopefully it will pick up there.I would recommend this to a friend.
- This place was neither a cantinneFredVIPDined on 8/31/2013This place was neither a cantinne nor parisienne. We were expecting a nice French bistro but instead found a large, cold, modern hotel restaurant. No wonder there were only two tables on a Friday evening. The food was not bad - steak frittes and the filet mignon were well cooked. And the service was good but strained. They have to reinvent themselves for people to come in and enjoy fine dining at this restaurant.
- Not a great dining experienceSohowomanDined on 7/28/2013Based on our one experience with a Sunday dinner at Cantine Parisienne, our experience was not at all up to our expectations. The sleek, hard surfaces in the room create too high a noise level to be pleasant. The prices also match the noise level & the food quality is too low compared with what you can get at other downtown French restaurants. Our waiter was wonderful. Maybe it was an off night in the kitchen but we're not inclined to return.
- MehZoeAugustineDined on 7/23/2013I read a few favorable reviews about this place so decided to give it a try. We were the only people there... the place was completely empty. The food was ok. The music was soo loud, could not understand why they were trying to drown our conversation when we were the only two dinners there. Will not go back.
- BoringOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/30/2013Smells funky & musty in here, coming from the round ceiling vents. Service was friendly. We both had the chicken club, very average. A real french sandwich would never be served on Xdry wheat toast. We ordered a side of fries I wish I hadn't, they were horrible!
- Nice PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/15/2013EXCELLENT cocktails , tasty food , easy going Frenchy atmosphere, very nice place. Decorated with candles all over the place, it looks good. Things can get slightly expensive when you line up the cocktails, but overall it is worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food; Nice but slow serviceSherriVIPDined on 6/15/2013The food here was fantastic! Had the steak frites and boyfriend had the filet with green beans and mushrooms. Really cute downtown exposed ceiling / loft feeling. The server was very nice but slow and he only had a few tables. Took a while to get the food, but it was worth the wait. (I have a feeling they werent rushing on purpose so that they didnt have an empty restaurant though) I hope more people go to this place so they can hire more help and stay open! This place was a little hard to find which may be why its sort of empty - they need a much larger sign on the street, we walked right by it.Special Features:
- A gem for French Bistro fans.OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/11/2013A gem for French Bistro fans. Edgy neighborhood adds to the ambiance. Will revisit again soon since the menu is compelling...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- La Bonne BouffeJenniferVIPDined on 6/9/2013Good eats! Classic French dishes, well prepared. Well-designed, modern setting. A mini-tasting generously offered by our waiter help us choose wines. Over our pre-theater meal, we perused the French magazines and found a couple of great leads for an upcoming trip...to Paris. The restaurant's situated in a great little stretch of the LES. We'll be back for the soupe à l'oignon. Definitely try the crab cake (not classic French, but delicious and copious; great little celery root salad on the side)! The steak tartare was a healthy portion, well seasoned with tabasco.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food and service wereL8DinerVIPDined on 6/1/2013The food and service were very good. Unfortunately, as the evening progressed, the music became louder and louder and quite intrusive. The waiter told us the manager did not want to turn the volume down, so we decided not to have dessert and coffee. The volume was then turned down for a while. While we enjoyed the food and the service, we will not return because of the music which greatly interfered with our dinner conversation and lessened the overall enjoyment of the dining experience.
- Loved itdsgoldVIPDined on 5/18/2013Soft shell crab tempura, barley risotto, all deliciousI would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Authentic FrenchJanesterVIPDined on 5/8/2013At lunch at Cantine Parisienne yesterday, the restaurant was almost empty. Please don't this adorable place go away! The concrete-heavy room (walls and floors) would be Spartan except for huge windows, cheerful chairs, and wonderful flowers everywhere. You will not find more authentic French anywhere in NYC. Not the highly sauced, haute cuisine version, but simple, excellent food. My rillettes were perfectly made, and a very generous portion. My onion soup reminded me of Les Halles (in 1960s Paris, that is!): hearty, cheesy, delicious. And the proprietor/wait staff are the best kind of French: attractive and friendly. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unsure what to thinkOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 5/4/2013The food at Cantine Parisienne was good... but it did not blow my mind. The Burrata appetizer was fantastic, but the steak tartare was FAR too garlicky. Service was excellent, and our waiter was actually French! However, I was a little surprised that we were the only patrons at 1pm on a Saturday. You would think there would be a few brunchers or lunchers or even hotel guests in the restaurant, but no. The space was beautiful and open and sunlit. Not sure why it was so empty.Special Features:
- went for dinner on a sundayOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/28/2013went for dinner on a sunday night. service was great. we weren't rushed and the waiter was extremely helpful in selecting our dishes. prices are reasonableSpecial Features:
- Going to be my new French cantine !CamillsVIPDined on 4/27/2013Great place great food !!! Love it and want to go back already ! Want to try the whole menu !Special Features:
- Delicious!OBenVIPDined on 4/25/2013Cantine Parisienne is excellent. Loved it!!!! The food is fresh, well seasoned, well proportioned and hits the spot. There is a dish on the menu to please every eater! The "Gateau de Crabe" is absolutely FANTASTIC, we are talking about Milos level. The "Steak Frites" is also EXCELLENT, it's definitely reaches the best steakhouses in town. The staff is not pretentious, always warm and friendly. The interior is at once stylish and comfortable... Bottom line, a wonderful experience. I will definitely go back!Special Features:
- The service was stupendous!OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 4/14/2013The service was stupendous! We had the most charming waiter from Bordeaux. Très gentile et très sympa!Special Features:
- Very nice food, ambiance,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/13/2013Very nice food, ambiance, attentive waiters... But it was nearly empty!!! Apart from the lack of fellows, it was perfectSpecial Features: