15 Beaufain St.
Charleston, SC 29401Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.leafcharleston.com/
- Phone: 8437932230
- Hours of Operation:
Daily: 11:00am - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Leaf
Awaken your culinary senses to Leaf - Charleston's premier café + bar featuring a casually chic atmosphere with indoor and outdoor transitional dining, Southern cosmopolitan cuisine, and a fine selection of wines.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Leaf reviews from OpenTable diners
78 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (39)fit for foodies (28)neighborhood gem (28)good for groups (21)great for lunch (20)great for brunch (14)romantic (12)special occasion (12)vibrant bar scene (11)notable wine list (4)kid-friendly (3)hot spot (2)scenic view (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- AwfulPoorVIPDined on 6/13/2014Server was nice but inattentive; drinks stayed empty, food was late and cold. Burger was the only decent thing. Risotto was starchy and flavorless, salad had chewy chicken and the wrong (unadvertised) dressing and accoutrements, and atmosphere was blah. Wanted to like it because it seems like a great local place but it was just awful. Don't waste your money.
- Leaf ReviewDRLLVIPDined on 6/12/2014This is one of our favorite restaurants in Charleston. Great food and service. The bar is open to the patio and very welcoming when you walk in. We always sit there. The bartenders are very friendly.Special Features:
- Leaf ReviewGrapegirlDined on 6/7/2014A great find, wonderful food, not a huge choice on the menu but plenty to suit all tastes. Ingredients were fresh and flavorful. Presentation excellent. Staff were helpful and attentive. Lighting was a little understated on the patio and the menu was difficult to read once it went dark. Certainly going on my list of favorites for Charleston.Special Features:
- Perfect Location-Enjoyable MealNYCSueVIPDined on 6/6/2014Leaf was so conveniently located to dine well between Spoleto performances. The Shrimp Cocktail and Fried Oyster appetizers were perfect starters. Moussaka and Scallops were nice, lighter entrees. The patio is a very nice place to be on a late spring evening, so we were totally happy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect dinner before showstarfireDined on 6/3/2014Service started a tad slow but once they realized we were trying to make a concert, really pulled out the stops to make sure we had quick service AND were able to enjoy our meal (very quick but not rushed). Duck egg roll was crisp and fresh and the roasted beet and arugula salad was perfectly executed with a nice balance of flavors.Special Features:
- Not badAdibiDined on 5/31/2014I have been here before. It's not really a memorable place, but it's not bad and it's one of the few places in downtown Charleston where you can eat outside. We had show tickets, so we made the reservation 3 weeks in advance and yet they had us waiting for 30 minutes to sit us (though the outdoor area was almost empty) once we sat down, we decided to order only appetizers due to lack of time and still took over 30 minutes to get our food. They might have been having a bad day, but the metre just didn't seem too organized.Special Features:
- Good choice for lunchiopsc2014Dined on 5/31/2014Leaf is a pleasant get away from the crowds on King Street, yet only a block off Kings and walkable from central Charleston. It offers limited free parking. Their Parmesan Fries were excellent as was the Smoked Salmon BLT. The fish in Fish and Chips was cooked perfectly, and the cilantro coleslaw was a welcome change from mayonnaise based dressings. Definitely will go back again for lunch and for dinner. Good wine menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gem in CharlestonHilaryDined on 5/28/2014We love Leaf. We have been on a few occasions for lunch and for just drinks at happy hour. Each time was excellent. The food and the staff are amazing. Eating outside under the branches of their giant tree is really special. We will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Risotto disappointingEileendnsDined on 5/25/2014Inconsistent, starchy, tasteless. A disappointment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect spot for Sunday BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/25/2014Although I have eaten here on many occasions, this was my first brunch at Leaf. It was DELICIOUS!!! The service was great!! The ambiance was delightful….really enjoyed the jazz duo! Highly recommend this place for any meal….brunch, lunch, or dinner. It is hard to beat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unfortunate BrunchjustjanicepdxDined on 5/25/2014Had great experiences in the past at Leaf, unfortunately standards have slipped. Went for Sunday brunch with my husband and son. We were seated on the patio. Our waiter introduced himself twice. Not a good sign. We waited over 45 minutes for our food. I watched the people seated next to us leave because they had been ignored. There were plenty of staff and as it was after 1pm they were not slammed. When our food finally arrived it was barely warm. My son had about 6 potato pieces on his plate as a side to his burger. My salmon BLT was barely edible. My second glass of wine was comp'd due to the sluggish service. There are many fabulous restaurants in Charleston and I would recommend trying them before resorting to Leaf.
- Feel CharlestonFindingNewDined on 5/25/2014A great place for Sunday Brunch..and GREAT parking next to FREE. Brunch under live Oak Trees on a brick court yard surrounded by the irongrill fences popular in CharlestonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!jerricaVIPDined on 5/24/2014We had great experience. Had a reservation for Sat. night and the greeter gave us our choice of seating. We chose the small table between the outside and inside dining and it was perfect. All of the food that we ordered was delicious and well-prepared. Not an extremely extensive menu but all of the food was good. Seemed like there were many cocktail and drink choices but we aren't drinkers. Craig, our server, was very good, enthusiastic but not pushy. The bar also seemed very "happening." Only wish they had desserts too!Special Features:
- Outdoor dining 1 block from King StvillefoodieVIPDined on 5/24/2014Leaf has a very large patio for outdoor dining, so it has a nice European feel and with mild May weather, perfect. We had the portobello and oyster po boy sandwiches and both were delicious-- the best part, though were the fabulous truffle fries. They were delightful and added to that European lunch experience. Highly recommended for outdoor lunch or brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thursday night table for two2OutofTownersDined on 5/22/2014Great appetizers, loved the duck spring rolls. Fried oysters were good, wished for a bit more crisp. Beautiful scallop entrée. Great steak frites. Roasted beet salad arrived same time with entrées and large enough to share. Liked the chocolate mousse. It had hint of hazelnut and bites that reminded us of Ferrero Rocher chocolate balls. Amazing, refreshing tasty cocktails (golden iris, drunken mule...). Good quality espresso. Friendly service in nice ambiance. Our table was inside, right at the edge of beautiful outdoor courtyard patio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Brunch SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/18/2014The patio was an ideal spot for a relaxed brunch with friends.Special Features:
- Nice AtmosphereJAJGDined on 5/16/2014The atmosphere was really nice with options to dine inside or out. Meatloaf and duck meals were very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great timesStellzleDined on 5/16/2014We wanted to try a different restaurant downtown and this was available. I am glad we tried it. The food choices were abundant and prices fair. The atmosphere was incredible an what I enjoyed most...we dined outside and reminded me of foreign travels nestled in a quaint courtyard.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TERRIBLE SERVICECharlestonResidentVIPDined on 5/16/2014I have dined at Leaf several times, and each time I go the service gets worse. The entire meal, the server only spoke to us 3 times. We got our drinks and placed our order and didn't get our meal or talk to our server for 55 minutes. It's a true shame that the service is so bad, because the food is delicious. Do not bother with Leaf if you are in a hurry.Special Features:
- needs a bit of workdavidpeckmanVIPDined on 5/4/2014Some menu items really work (asparagus and egg; fried oysters) and other need work (duck egg rolls - very heavy; cappuccino creme brûlée more like cappuccino pudding). The service was really good and when I wasn't happy with the egg rolls the server quickly offered to substitute it. Great spot and great outdoor space. I look forward to the day when it can be described as a Neighborhood Gem vs a Neighborhood restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- daveDined on 5/4/2014Great for out door eating and delicious food and mimosas!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LeafFoodzthetixDined on 5/3/2014We had lunch with a party of eight. The service was great as is generally the case in upscale joints in Ctown. The appetizers were good, with raves by the younger (20 something) set for mac n cheese. Four males enjoyed their grilled cheese and braised beef shortrib. I loved it. The shrimp po boy had great shrimp but needed tarter sauce or something being too dry as served. The calamari and fried pickles were excellent. I would return for sure. In a town with the dining options of Charleston, that's a high mark.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for BrunchStarwoodJunkieDined on 4/27/2014Sunday brunch is very good. Prices are VERY reasonable ($14 for a brunch entree AND a Mimosa or Bloody Mary).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday Brunch BunchBob4VIPDined on 4/27/2014The food was good, the ambiance was civilized. There was a keyboard/bass duo that did wonderful American music (nothing before 1980 that I noticed, and they knew about Rodgers and Hart!). And the brunch included the first drink - choice of mimosa or bloody Mary, plus sides of potatoes and fruit salad. It helped that the weather was perfect, we sat right inside the restaurant, but the restaurant has huge open window walls, so we had the advantages of being outside without actually being there, But what set it apart was that your entree ($16) included a choice of mimosa or b mary, fruit bowl and hash browns. No starters or sides and very limited desserts. Free parking out front. Our group will be back.Special Features:
- Disappointing Second Trip to LeafATLFoodie2VIPDined on 4/26/2014We had an amazing brunch on a Sunday afternoon the first time we visited this lovely restaurant and were excited to return. We invited several others to join us for lunch on a Saturday afternoon and requested one of their outside courtyard tables. The setting is beautiful; too bad the food didn't measure up this time. My husband's fish and chips were inedible - clearly both the fish and potatoes has been cooked in the same, old oil. The miso bowls I and my daughter ordered were awful - the noodles were under-cooked and the seasoning was unlike any I had tasted in miso soup - my husband later admitted that the smell of the bowls was almost nauseating. Fortunately, the fried oyster appetizer and trio of dips and pita chips was excellent.Special Features:
- Going back to Leaf again!ParticularDinerDined on 4/25/2014I was at Leaf with three other ladies. We had reservations but got there early. We were pleasantly surprised when we were able to be seated right away. The appetizers were good but not exactly as described in the menu. The drinks were all very good. The Eggplant Mousaka was amazing! The Shrimp Risotto very tasty. However, the Basil Linguini was dull and under seasoned. The service was there worst part of our dining experience. That was a bummer. We were all in great spirits and we were in the mood to have a good time. But our waiter was unattentive & a bore. We had to wait & wait for him to come around for a check on drinks. We will go back, but will make sure we have a different waiter and ask for more info on the menu items.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible serviceCathyDined on 4/21/2014Second time we ate there. Service was bad both times.
- Wonderful BrunchFreddieDined on 4/20/2014We had a delightful Easter Brunch at Leaf. We would recommend this outstanding restaurant to anyone who wants great food, outstanding service and a visually lovely place where it is possible to talk to each other! Great find!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 50-502fordinnerDined on 4/19/2014Our visit to Leaf left one of us mostly satisfied and one dissatisfied. We shared the rice flour calamari which both of us found tasteless and slightly rubbery. The accompanying aioli was good. My husband got the shrimp risotto, which he enjoyed very much. I had the charred pork, which the server said was the belly section that night. It came in a sea of sauce, completely overwhelming, and sweet potato fries. Almost half the portion of pork was fat. The sweet potato fries were very good. After my husband had finished his entrée and I was finishing the fries, our server asked how the food was and we told her about my dish. She left for a moment and came back asking if I'd like something else to eat. I declined her offer.
- OkaylynnDined on 4/19/2014I have eaten there twice. I had the steak and fries one time and had company there. None of us were impressed. I went back again. The calamari was not fresh. It was frozen and rolled in rice flour which came our like glue paste. Yuk. I had the mini shepherds pie in a cast iron skillet. That was good Nice ambience but food is boring.Special Features:
- Friday dinnerlocal23Dined on 4/18/2014Had friends in from out of town and walked King Street before dining. Great food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fabulous southern brunchintlfoodieDined on 4/13/2014First of all, the service was attentive but not overbearing, which was a welcome change from the usual, especially on a warm, quiet Sunday morning such as it was when we visited. I had the Leaf Benedict, which was cooked perfectly--very tender filet, delicious flavor combination, not overzealous with seasonings, and came out at still hot with a mimosa. The atmosphere is relaxed and quiet; we were treated to a live bassist and keyboardist duo, and they played without any amplification to really bring home the Sunday morning feel. Wonderfully well-thought-out establishment, great for any occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great outdoor seating; so-soOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/12/2014Great outdoor seating; so-so portions; very slow service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty hideaway, good foodSCvisitorDined on 4/12/2014Really good food, great service and a wonderful ambiance.Special Features:
- Poor serviceDavidDined on 4/11/2014Picked this because it looked good. Sat on barstools that were truly uncomfortable. In the bar and not the dining room. I am not sure why as we had a reservation. Noisy. The service was OK until the end. Then our server, Leslie MacDowell completely ruined the evening. She had already given us a large dose of attitude. Not quite rude, but close. We certainly didn't get any of that old southern hospitality. I gave her a credit card and she disappeared. I mean disappeared. 10 minutes later I spotted her chatting with a group of friends. Reluctantly she came back with check and we paid. So the service was really disappointing. What a shame for a restaurant with good food.I would go back, but avoid the bar and Leslie!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Meal for 2OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/11/2014My wife and I enjoyed a delicious meal - great spot for two or groups. Try the PP&J beer - incredible!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I really wanted to like LeafSpringBreak2014Dined on 4/9/2014Leaf was recommended to us by the person at the reservations desk of our hotel. We sat outside which was lovely, although the bugs were biting. Our server, Brian, was attentive and courteous. However, the food was lackluster and it seemed clear that the chef didn't understand how flavors work together. The miso noodle bowl was truly inedible--it was overpowered by an enormous amount of vinegar and the presentation was revolting. The noodles,meat and vegetables were churned up in a dark, acrid broth. I rarely send food back to the kitchen, but this was inedible. Brian did his best to take care of us by bringing something else to the table and removing the offending dish from the bill.Special Features:
- DisappointedMikeDined on 4/6/2014We have been to Leaf several times over the last year but were very disappointed in our recent experience there. We attended on the weekend of the bridge run and there was a shorter menu, apparently to simplify what was expected to be a busy weekend. The menu was alright but was not very diverse. The service was lack luster. Our server really didn't seem like she wanted to be there, had tables in other parts of the restaurant and was less than attentive. We were not offered desert or coffee or after dinner drinks. We were celebrating so we went on to another place for desert and coffee. It's too bad because our previous visits had been very enjoyable.
- Leaf it aloneBigsexy1Dined on 4/6/2014We went at 5 on a Sunday not busy service was ok nothing great or bad until dinner 3 out of 4 entrees not good. Brick chicken looked like mud and brick would have been more appealing to look at same with meatloaf just ugly and bland. One entree served with crunchy rice. Just not a good experience. Will not be back too many good spots in town for a return to bad one.
- Never againBdinerDined on 4/5/2014I had friends in town for the bridge run and so I made reservations in anticipation of a good meal. I have been to leaf two other times and had a great dinner- not so this time. When we sat down we were presented with a menu that had about half of what is normally on it. The selections were so few to begin with and then we were told they were out of one entree on top of that! It was embarrassing because I had told them all how great this place was. Three of us ordered the risotto and when it came out all three dishes were ice cold. Another person ordered a medium steak and it came out nearly raw and another person ordered a medium burger that was also very undercooked. I was so embarrassed that I suggested the place.