8630 Germantown Ave
Philadelphia, PA 19118Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.stellasera.com/
- Phone: 2152481980
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm;
Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Anis K
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, BYO Liquor, Farm to Table, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Facilities: As another option for Sella Sera costumes we offer private dining for up to 60 people. Offsite cattering is also available upon request.
- Private Party Contact: Anis 2152481980
A word from Stella Sera
Stella Sera offers customers real Italian meals, specialized in a variety of homemade pastas and dessert. We also offer the freshest seafood, milk fed veal, free ranged chicken, etc. that is sure to satisfy your appetite. All of our dishes consist of locally grown fresh ingredients.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Stella Sera reviews from OpenTable diners
44 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (29)romantic (21)fit for foodies (15)special occasion (13)good for groups (6)kid-friendly (2)great for lunch (1)hot spot (0)Show More
- romanticRevCDined on 9/20/2013I was expecting something good, I got something better than that: an incredibly romantic dinner for my wife and I. the food was outstanding. Nothing too bold or different but solid and incredibly wonderful. the vegetable croquettes were out of this world. my Caesar salad's dressing was pleasantly different. It was light and had a lemon citrus edge to it that I was not used to but was amazing against the other quality ingredients in the salad. the entrees were very good. I had one of the homemade pastas with crab meat and some other things that was very nice. The staff was incredibly knowledgeable and kept up on keeping our water filled in addition to repeatedly removing all crumbs from the tablecloth. I look forward to going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- O.K. PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/30/2013Food was O.K. Nothing wrong with it, but nothing special. Menu was a bit bland. Service was quite good. An O.K. experience, but nothing to write home about.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great little spotMamieDined on 8/27/2013We enjoyed a lovely meal. The salmon appetizer not only looked beautiful but it tasted great also the carpaccio. The pasta bolognese was delicious and a good size portion. The wait staff was outstanding. They were very pleasant and attentive. A very enjoyable experience.Special Features:
- reconnecting with old friendsdeezeedeeDined on 8/20/2013Stella Sere was perfect for getting together with old friends. On a Tuesday evening it was not busy, and consequently blessedly quiet. The food was good, the selections interesting. Despite a complaint from a prior reviewer that the veal was tough, we risked ordering the veal medallions with crabmeat, and I didn't think the veal was tough. The crabmeat was in large lumps and very fresh. Overall, the dish was enjoyable. The service was very accomodating. My husband and I prefer sharing, and each course was delivered evenly split and attractively plated. The servers were professional yet friendly. We will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingNotHappyVIPDined on 8/20/2013Appetizers were uniformly good but main entrees were quite disappointing. Lower quality from previous visits!
- Second time at Stella Sera-OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/17/2013Second time at Stella Sera- this time was for an anniversary. Everyone was pleased with their meals. The veal medallions in cognac cream sauce and crab-amazing. Finishing off the meal with the flourless chocolate cake was the right choice. It was almost like fudge. Can't wait to return.Special Features:
- Twice VisitedEsther99Dined on 8/14/2013We recently visited Stella Sera for a 2nd time. The 1st time our food was good. We had a reservation & our bill was not cheap. Soon after paying the bill, the hostess (who was VERY present in the small space) approached our table and asked us to leave so she could seat a couple. A friend later said she went there with a gift certificate (which she announced upon arrival). After leaving, the waiter chased her down to say the mgmt changed & they would not accept the g/c. REALLY? This 2nd time we visited, the hostess was not there, the wait staff was very attentive, the food was good. We got a beet salad special. A bit disappointing as it was a large stack of pickled beets with not enough goat cheese &arugula on top.Gnocci/pasta was very good.
- stella serailuv2eatoutDined on 8/3/2013delicious food, real value on entrees, salads outstanding, gracious serviceSpecial Features:
- nice little placeloriDined on 8/3/2013We had reservations at 6 at Stella Sera and it seemed rather empty but it filled up just a little later. The food was good but not great. The spaghetti bolognase was tasty. The seafood pasta had a pretty anemic sauce. The noodles were homemade and were just a bit too al dente.The passion fruit sorbet was bright and flavorful. The coffee was pretty nasty. They really should buy a better bean.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful BYOB in Chestnut HillOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/31/2013Steps from the Train, Great Italian Food, wonderful Service.Special Features:
- Perfect neighborhood BYOBahphilaVIPDined on 7/16/2013Delicious homemade pastas, attentive service, and a charming atmosphere make Stella Sera a wonderful option in Chestnut Hill.Special Features:
- Poor StellaDitto2009Dined on 7/13/2013Although the food was quite good there is one aspect that still bothers me. I ordered the jumbo shrimp/pasta and got the lump crab / pasta. Good but not what I wanted. Try Again?Special Features:
- Good dinneroutnaboutDined on 7/9/2013Had a very good dinner although the veal was very tough. The maui maui, and tuna were excellent. The service was very good and the waiters were very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Italian in chestnut hillBJ1501Dined on 7/5/2013What a beautiful spot. Music playing ang wonderful service. I have already recommended to many friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a treat!!!YumsterDined on 6/30/2013Lovely charming restaurant in Chestnut Hill. Reasonably priced with excellent food. Always leave looking forward to a return. BYOB a big plus here. Service charming and exceptional.Special Features:
- BYOB -- but they do the rest!Top23VIPDined on 6/28/2013Stella Sera has fantastic homemade pastas and the rest of the menu is delightful as well. You have to bring your own wine, but otherwise you're pampered from the get-go. Because each dish is made in real time, they can accommodate everyone's finicky requests, such as my MIL, who didn't want garlic. (Seriously?! In an Italian restaurant?! Thank goodness they live in California.) I had the whole fish, fileted at table. It was great. The others all had pasta. The weakest link was the Bolognese, which was good, but I would have added cream (it was a bit dry). Our party ranged in age from 11 to 85, and everyone left happy!Special Features:
- service was missing in actionJimDDined on 6/25/2013Although everyone was as nice as possible, the service was horrendous. We sat for over an hour waiting for our appetizers, and then a significant wait for the entrees. The servers also threw out our 3/4 full bottle of white wine which had been sharing an ice bucket with a table that left. The waiters were genuinely sorry about their mistake and made amends, free dessert. Still, it was a really stupid mistake. Too bad because the food was really good.Special Features:
- Great BYOB Italian restaurant!KatondatesDined on 6/22/2013I went here with my husband to celebrate his 40th birthday on the recommendation of a friend. It was INCREDIBLE! The food was delicious and the wait staff was friendly, knowledgeable and attentive. My only complaint is that it seemed to take a long time for our entree to arrive...but that could be either because the food is made to order, or because our appetizers were so good we practically inhaled them... :-) We will definitely go back if we get a chance!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and Service was good.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/22/2013Food and Service was good. Each of us (5) enjoyed our choices very much. My out of town guests were very pleased with my choice of restaurant, considering they had a bad experience in DC the night before.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service & SavorycityadmetropolitanDined on 5/24/2013Stella Serra (Starry Night) is beautiful restaurant located in Chesnut Hill PA. We started off with fresh decaf coffee & salads. Caesar with romaine hearts & House with organic greens.Soft, warm bread was brought with a tasty concoction of olive oil & seasoning. Entres were Paillard, grilled herb dusted veal medallions & Siciliano chicken breast. It's BYO, so a nice touch to evening at Stella Serra. Veal was pounded to perfection and every morsel was moist and savory. Chicken breast was tender and a nice taste.Continued service throughout the meal, servers cleaning off bread crumbs, filling our water glasses, checking on the meal, coffee refills added up to a top notch evening. Check out Stella Serra. Great prices with great food & service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not great, not terribleLoveItalianVIPDined on 5/15/2013Good if you're looking for a restaurant in Chestnut Hill/ Wouldn't call it a destination spot.Special Features:
- Wonderful!BoxyVIPDined on 5/11/2013What a great little restaurant this is! The staff is courteous, friendly, & willing to do whatever it takes to make your dining experience wonderful. I love this restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor service, wait staff wereOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/11/2013Poor service, wait staff were disorganized and unattentive. Would not return.
- Stella Sera ShinesJohnJ2KDined on 5/8/2013This is one of my "go-to" places in Chestnut Hill. (One of my other one's is Mica, but I digress.) The food is consistently good and the service is always pleasant and timely. The fact that it's a BYOB is nice if one is trying to keep the bill down. Would recommend Stella Sera to anyone. --JMSpecial Features:
- This is a great neighborhood gem.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/4/2013We really enjoyed our dining experience the other night. The service was great, the ambience was very pleasant and the food was delicious. This is a BYOB neighborhood gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The service was excellent.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/20/2013The service was excellent. The food was very good, but not great, and probably not worth the price.
- A Buona Sera at Stella Sera!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/18/2013Went to Stella Sera to celebrate my daughter's induction into Sigma Tau Delta. Had to change my reservations several times which was not a problem. The wait staff was friendly and knowledgeable. We placed several special orders which were honored and served just as we wanted..no judgements or hesitation! The food was delicious! The chef even sent a special appetizer! The BYOB meant we were able to bring a special bottle of wine for the occassion on which they did not even charge a corking fee! There was a wonderful guitarist that played music that was appropriate, as well as unubtrusive, during dinner. Wonderful dining experience! We will definitely return!Special Features:
- Great branzino and warm atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 4/13/2013Loved my mediterranean sea bass (branzino). The atmosphere was warm and welcoming with wonderful scenes of italy on the walls.Special Features:
- It is an outstanding BYOBJosephDined on 4/13/2013It is an outstanding BYOB located in the middle of Chestnut Hill. Both the food (Italian) and the service was outstanding, with the pasta and deserts homemade. We are already planning a follow-up trip.Special Features:
- Good appetizers,includingEyeBVIPDined on 4/12/2013Good appetizers,including excellent beet salad, followed by fair food-except for the mussels, which were not well cleaned and tasted only of garlic. Service varied, too, from very attentive to ignoring us.
- Friendly, service orientedBernVIPDined on 4/12/2013Friendly, service oriented atmosphere with a variety of delicious menu options. It's definitely a place to go frequently.Special Features:
- Delightful live guitar (acoustic)JackDined on 4/11/2013Delightful live guitar (acoustic) Thursdays and Fridays. Delicious fresh fish, homemade pasta; tantalizing menu makes it hard to choose. Our whole Bronzino (the special, in salt crust and filleted tableside) was actually enough for two if preceded by appetizer &/or salad. BYOB or (if it's early) walk up to the beverage store once you know your food profile.Special Features:
- the waiter lost our orderfoodloverVIPDined on 4/6/2013the waiter lost our order and we did not get served for 2 hrs until we called up the owner/chef. Food was just ok and nothing special. Will not be back
- not many options if you areOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/27/2013not many options if you are vegetarian and only by special request if you are vegan. for omnis, the menu is fantastic and the service was spot-on.Special Features:
- Passyogamom38VIPDined on 3/23/2013We were received very warmly by the hostess but it was downhill from there. We had a late(ish) reservation for 8:30 (this is late by Chestnut Hill standards) and felt rushed the entire meal. Our waiter barked the specials like he was an auctioneer. The bread was good but we never received more than 1 basket. My veal was sub-par - overwhelmed by salt and overcooked. My date's pasta bolognese was very good - clearly their pastas are homemade. In their rush to get us to leave they "forgot" to bring out 2 desserts. If we weren't with friends I would have said something although I'm not sure they would have cared.
- They Didn't Honor My Reservation!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 3/16/2013We had come often over the past few years, and generally have enjoyed the food and ambiance - often, on their good nights, a great deal. This last time, our reservation was not honored. We arrived and were told our table was not yet available and would not be available for at least 15 min, likely more. We turned around and left to dine elsewhere. It's a small restaurant and the management is correct not to force diners already present to eat quickly, so it is understandable if service runs late. But they could and should then at least have called or emailed us to warn that we should expect to wait.
- As Authentic as Chef BoyardeeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/16/2013We had a 8:30 res (for 2) but weren’t seated till 8:50 (there's no waiting area, we stood in the dining hall for 20 mins next to another table. Apps were 2 for 3. Excellent soup & grilled artichokes in a rich caper sauce, ceasar salad lettuce was wilted, dressing was thick goop and cheese lacked flavor. Entrées were horrible. Gnocchi was bland and marinara was overly acidic with a watery, homogeneous texture. If either component was "home-made" as claimed, they should switch to store bought. 2nd dish with "Filet Mignon Tips" had bland cream sauce and the meat looked like the "beef" one reconstitutes in cup-o-noodles. Desert was a joke, my cannoli was empty! The filling only went back 1/2 inch on each side! WILL NEVER GO T
- The reviews for this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/8/2013The reviews for this place were right on point. Excellent food and service at a great price. I very much see myself coming back in the near future.Special Features:
- Great little spot...good food,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/7/2013Great little spot...good food, great service, friendly atmosphere. There was a guitarist playing the evening we were there, and he was very good.Special Features:
- Very good meal. Pasta wasRittVIPDined on 3/5/2013Very good meal. Pasta was actually a bit past al dente, but both sauces - crabmeat, and seafood in fra diavolo - were great. Will return. Lettuce in salad included some brown edges; need a little better quality control on that.Special Features: