925 B Street
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Downtown / Gaslamp
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://chaplos.com/
- Phone: 6197983888
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:30pm
Tuesday - Sunday: 4:00pm - close
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Norma D. Martinez
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Takeout, Wine
A word from Chaplos
Chaplos offers an array of choices with it's diverse American menu which varies from a casual lunch to a relaxed dinning atmosphere. With high ceilings and a bar reminiscent of the 1920's era Chaplos focuses on offering unique service along with an unforgettable experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Chaplos reviews from OpenTable diners
- ordinary .. menu too limitedGreen1Dined on 5/24/2013ordinary .. menu too limited in both steaks (no filet mignon) and fish ...
- Great food at reasonable pricesdebinsdcaDined on 5/15/2013We enjoyed the Grilled Bleu Cheese sandwich and the BBQ Pulled Chicken sandwich, which come with choice of salad or fries. We opted for salad, a tasty blend of mixed greens, garbanzo beans and tomatoes. Reasonably priced at $11 each. Brewed ice tea at only $2 is a neighborhood bargain. Will return for $5 Happy Hour tastes/drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was O.K.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/19/2013It was a last minute find, as it was a partner with the symphony, which allowed you free valet parking, plus they give you a coupon if you give them your e- mail address. The food was tasty, and the portions were just about right. The Polenta that we had for an appetizer for very good. There is a reason that the valet parking is free with tickets to the symphony, the valet guy left at 9 pm, and since the symphony gets out about 10, the keys were supposed to be left with the hostess. Where the car was parked was down some back stairs, which the guy that was helping us didn't seem to know, he pointed towards the elevator and said "down there". The door to the stairs was next to the elevator.
- Outstanding service. LovelyOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 3/20/2013Outstanding service. Lovely atmosphere. Food was good but a little disappointing. Nice menu. Nice wine list.
- Great food, service and ambiance!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/15/2013We dined here before a symphony concert. A wonderful find! Will be back!Special Features:
- Delightful experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/9/2013From the hostess to the pastry chef, everyone in this restaurant will make you feel welcome, comfortable, and satisfied. We were every waiter's nightmare: obnoxious 20-something year olds with a groupon, celebrating a friend's b-day... hehehe The food was delicious, good portions: crispy, tasty calamari; tender pork ribs; enormous rib-eye; tasty salmon, etc. The service was superb! It's rather pricey, I must admit, but definitely worth it. The restaurant setting is attractive and elegant but not luxurious. In other words, everyone's welcome!Special Features:
- The valet parking was a realOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/8/2013The valet parking was a real treat. So many times yyou'd like to go to a place but cant because of no where to park. The waiter Tommy was top notch!! Went back twice in one week just to get the apple smoked ribs!! The cosmos are the best! Have a moonshine after dinner drink called "cat daddy". It was divine! Will go back here again and again Beautiful atmospjere!!Special Features:
- Great ambiance, the waiterOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/1/2013Great ambiance, the waiter was very sweet. The food isn't great but fun atmosphere. The empanadas were good as appetizers.Special Features:
- Unfortunately, we were disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/1/2013Unfortunately, we were disappointed with our experience. Service was very spotty (although our server apologized for the delay and credited it to "everyone arrived at once"). His apology was well received, but we were then re-disappointed with the quality of food and wine. My salmon was spongy and was served with pre-formed white rice and four green beans (it looked like hospital food). Finally, my wine was fairly disappointing. Part of that, I guess, is my selection - but it was one of five red wines available by the glass.
- I had the ribeye and it wasOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/27/2013I had the ribeye and it was great. The place is pricey, but if you go during happy hour you can get cheaper prices.Special Features:
- Great that it's so close toOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/23/2013Great that it's so close to Copley Symphony Hall. This makes it a great find when attending a performance there.Special Features:
- Service was excellent. OurOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 2/22/2013Service was excellent. Our group tried ribs, ravioli, meatballs, & calamari; all were excellent. They have a great Happy Hour from 4-7 with good food and drink specials. Would recommend for a nice dinner or as an upscale drinks spot.Special Features:
- Walked in at 7:45 on SaturdayOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/16/2013Walked in at 7:45 on Saturday night. There were four tables and one bar stool occupied. Got a bit concerned at that. The place is set up nice. Dim lighting, spacious, decent house music playing. The TVs with ESPN on were a bit out of place. Sat in the booth for nearly 10min before getting water. I believe there were 3 servers, so I'm not sure why it took so long. Server Tom was very nice. The menu was appealing. Didn't seem too elaborate or trying extra hard to be upscale. Ordered the tomato soup, wedge salad, prosciutto wrapped asparagus and lamb chops. I didn't get a drink, just a beer. The soup was good not great. Didn't have the tomato kick a solid tomato bisque should have. Tomatoes definitely didn't taste "roasted." The wedge wa
- Great food, perfect portion size!SDFoodieDined on 2/15/2013The food was fabulous! At first, we were skeptical at the portion sizes, but realized afterward that most restaurants give you way too much food. The portions were perfect! Wine on tap was excellent (I had the cab) and the drink/beer/wine menu had an abundant selection - something for everyone! Our only (small) complaint would be the dessert - it was delicious, but the serving vessel was awkward and hard to manage. Otherwise, everything was wonderful.Special Features:
- Great new find near City College!TopWopDined on 2/14/2013Just discovered this relatively new spot thanks to a Living Social offer and am very glad I took advantage of it. Great food, good service and hip retro 1920's bar. What's not to like?! Will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Chicken sandwich was awesome...OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/12/2013Chicken sandwich was awesome... great chipotle dressing on it. So glad I've discovered this little gem.Special Features:
- Great food and good service.GreatVIPDined on 2/9/2013Great food and good service. Loud techno was playing the entire time.Special Features:
- Had a ladies night dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/1/2013Had a ladies night dinner and drinks- fabulous evening
- The food and service wereOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 2/1/2013The food and service were fantastic. The location will probably make the restaurant struggle, but it shouldn't because it was so good!Special Features:
- It's in a convenient locationhomebodyDined on 1/31/2013It's in a convenient location and the food is okay. The folks who got the grilled cheese and pear sandwich (it was lunchtime) were happy. Our salads were average and the empanadas were far too crusty with average filling. We arrived at 12 and clearly they weren't quite ready -- staff was coming in after we sat. So service at first was slow. But once every one was there to work, it improved. So, I'd say for lunch to go at 12:15 and probably stick to their sandwiches.
- Food was phenomenal! LovedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/26/2013Food was phenomenal! Loved the mussels/clams! And the decor is beautiful.Special Features:
- This place will not make it,OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 1/19/2013This place will not make it, at least not under the current management. We reserved a table for two, so were not walk-ins. The hostess put us in the bar section (marble top tables without linen tablecloths) and had us in the entrance area, facing the door. We asked for one of the three banquette table but she said they were all reserved. The entire evening, however, not a single one of those tables had any patrons. Why lie outright, when we are there to witness...?!
- The food and service was great!NatalieDined on 1/19/2013The food and service was great! We will definitely go back. They've been open for only two months. Only complaint was that our entrees came out in the middle of our appetizers.Special Features:
- Did not have a good experienceshanahDined on 1/18/2013Did not have a good experience begining with the RUDE hostess who took my reservations... the manager made up for her behavior eventually (thank you) the food was decent (nothing exciting... dessert better than dinner) and the venue was nice...quiet, good bar area. Lots of access to parking (which is always a plus!) either across the street or valet ($7-$8)
- Good place....didn't haveOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 1/17/2013Good place....didn't have the wine I wanted and replacement was quite pricey :-(.Special Features:
- Flatbread Gluten-Free & Ran OutGregVIPDined on 1/11/2013Very disappointed that they ran out Tomato soup, Coppola Votre Sante Pinot Noir Bottled Wine, and Cheesecake. It was 8 pm and the restaurant wasn't really crowded. Also extremely disappointed they no longer make the Capresi Flatbread Gluten-Free since that was pretty much the reason we went to Chaplos. We like that it is really close to where we live and we prefer to support neighborhood business, but probably out last meal here...
- Our new neighborhood joint!DinersQuestDined on 1/2/2013Our new neighborhood joint! Easy to walk to and they have great food to boot! Wish there were some more vegan choices, but overall a great place.Special Features:
- What a nice way to have aMeriweatherDined on 12/15/2012What a nice way to have a good dinner, close to downtown at a reasonable price! And the staff make the restaurant even better!! We'll be back....and bring our friends!Special Features:
- This restaurant is brand new,OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/8/2012This restaurant is brand new, but I think they're off to a great start. The food was delicious, and the staff couldn't have been friendlier. It's a great place to have dinner before going to a concert at Copley Symphony Hall.
- Great find!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/7/2012Wow! I loved this place! Great food and drinks! The place is beautifully set up and service was top notch, very friendly. I'm definately returning. The beet salad and lamb chops are fantastic!Special Features:
- It was a nice experience.MishaDined on 11/29/2012It was a nice experience. If you go for lunch, you should make sure you have time. Lunch is not in and out in a timely manner. However this could be because they are new and need time to get up to speed. Service was great and staff very friendly. I really liked the decor and I had the chicken sandwich with chipotle mayo which was very tasty. Chef should always be sure to communicate any changes to the menu with wait staff. Ordered appetizer based upon what we were told, however there had been a change she was not aware of. Was given a free desert to make up. Overall a nice experience.Special Features: