4677 30th Street
San Diego, CA 92116Neighborhood:
Gastro PubPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.jaynesgastropub.com/
- Phone: 6195631011
- Hours of Operation:
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Gastro Pub, Contemporary European, British
- Executive Chef: Jayne Battle
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: Adams Avenue
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Street parking is usually readily available. The Adams Avenue bridge directly over the 805, two blocks east of Jaynes, is a neighborhood secret and only a 2 minute walk. Remember that green, yellow zones and parking meters are open and free after 6pm.
A word from Jayne's Gastropub
Jaynes is San Diego's trailblazing first and only Brit owned Gastropub. The eclectic menu features gourmet takes on pub classics using local, organic and sustainably farmed produce, meats and seafood. Beverage highlights include the city's most avant garde natural wine list from wine director Jon Erickson, a world class craft cocktail program curated by bartender Sarah Ellis and a broad beer list on draft and in bottles. The beautiful old world interior is reminiscent of London and San Francisco and the decor and feeling rates among the most charming in the entire city. Utterly non-corporate, Jaynes is the local's secret darling on North Park's 30th street.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Jayne's Gastropub - Best Restaurants in North Park ›
Jayne's Gastropub reviews from OpenTable diners
48 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (39)fit for foodies (33)great for outdoor dining (33)romantic (24)special occasion (18)good for groups (9)notable wine list (9)hot spot (5)kid-friendly (4)vibrant bar scene (3)late-night find (2)scenic view (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Food was tasty, not overwhelminghenrycg0VIPDined on 3/14/2014I really enjoyed the food, the atmosphere, the service. Everything was wonderful, everyone really friendly. I was not overwhelmed by the food, but everything tasted well, was prepared excellently.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood GemChicaVIPDined on 3/11/2014Our first time to Jayne's and we will be back. Fabulous food. Great service. Did I say fabulous food??!! Only complaint is their dessert options are uninteresting and bready. Add a creme brûlée or chocolate pot de creme and they will get five stars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had higher expectationsFoodieSD2014Dined on 2/28/2014We came here with pretty high expectations given all of the great reviews about this place, however we left pretty disappointed. We had confirmed reservations, but ended up waiting over 20min for our table since the previous diners had not left yet. We soon found out why, it took forever for anything. For such a small dining room, they had 2 servers but they were slammed the whole night. From the time we placed our entree orders in, until they came out was over and hour. Staples such as the burger and bangers & mash were cooked ok, but any other items on the very limited menu were not cooked as well. They were lacking in flavor and seasoning. Prices are very out of proportion for the neighborhood. Will not be coming back.
- BrilliantsarhaspeekeDined on 2/28/2014Yet another fabulous meal combined with excellent service, (thank you Ariel)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food and service is allwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/28/2014The food and service is allways excellent at Jayne's. The interior is beautiful as is the cozy outdoor patio. Inside can get a bit loud so if you like it quieter, request the patio. Reservations are best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fun restaurant; mediocre foodChuckVIPDined on 2/27/2014We had great service in a fun atmosphere. Ordered fried calamari which came out of the kitchen almost as soon as we ordered and it were not crisp, but soggy; evident that the dish had been resting for awhile. Ordered the "special" of the evening which were 3 huge bay scallops - but they were tough and overcooked. Good selection of beer, though, and the IPA was super.Special Features:
- Consistent.sasultanDined on 2/26/2014We eat at Jayne's often, usually once a month. If you can go during a schnitzel night - run! And make sure you pre-order them, because they are so popular and delicious they might run out if you have a later night reservation. The service is always great and most importantly - the food is CONSISTENT! If you like their bangers 'n mash the first time! you won't be disappointed with the fourth time. Same goes for all the menu items. I highly recommend the fish and chips and the Jidori chicken. Thursday mussel nights are awesome, but Wednesday's fried chicken is glorious. JUST GO ALREADY!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- picky diner loves Jayne'smichaelChristianDined on 2/26/2014i'm picky. no, i'm an outright jerk about food and wine. This is the ONLY restaurant I frequent in San Diego that NEVER disappoints me. Jayne's cares. Jayne's has talent. Jayne's has taste.Special Features:
- Wonderful placeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/25/2014Jayne's is a great place. The food is great - very high quality. The services was exceptional - Garret was so nice and knowledgeable.Special Features:
- Best date night spotTamTamDined on 2/14/2014Jaynes was a place I had always wanted to try so finally made reservations for V-Day. This choice was risky cause what if it wasn't good? Jaynes was perfect, lively, romantic and all the staff were attentive. Inside is decorated with many odes to England and the rest reminds you of a classic New York Bar. The food was delicious, European and beautifully plated. Can't wait to visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food & DrinksFoodieDined on 2/12/2014I've been to this restaurant a handful of times and the food and drinks are always great. The buttermilk fried chicken is outstanding! The waitstaff was friendly and very knowleable on the menu. My only criticism is that it took a long time for us to receive our food after we placed our order even though we were the only group seated in the dining area. However, after our lenghthy wait, we all received our food at the same time which was nice. I would defnitely recommend this restaurant and will return myself. If you're in the mood for a delicious, leasurely dinner and drinks, this is the place for you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnfortunateUnfortunateDined on 1/24/2014The noise level at Jayne's was extremely loud and the service extremely slow. The food was unremarkable and did not justify a wait of more than one hour between courses. Our table was next to the patio door where a constant line formed for the single, unisex toilet. Jayne's seemed to have the makings of a neighborhood gem. Unfortunate.Special Features:
- Restaurant week outingwalterhanigDined on 1/23/2014Excellent food and knowledgeable service. Noise level was a little high, but the restaurant was full. Particularly liked the lamb satay and pear crostada.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We Will Definitely be Back!DiningOut619Dined on 1/22/2014Jayne's is the perfect little neighborhood eatery! The service was on-point and attentive, but not overly present. The food was delicious and my fiancé and I will most certainly be back for more!!Special Features:
- Cozy & Charming100IBUsDined on 1/18/2014Jayne's is an excellent place to have some drinks and/or enjoy the impressive menu, nestled in the vibrant Adams Ave/30th Street area. We had dinner for two, were seated promptly despite being a few minutes late due to parking difficulties, received excellent service, and enjoyed a wonderful meal (we had the duck on special - outstanding!). This restaurant is truly a gem. Be sure to say hi to Sarah - she is an all-star and tends an energetic & fun bar area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Thanksgiving!emarinko8Dined on 11/28/2013Jayne's had a wonderful menu. Thank you for great food and time.Special Features:
- Noisy but goodAricDined on 11/22/2013Very popular, so it was loud. The food was interesting, but not out of this world. Cheese plate left a lot to be desired and was quite pricy.Dopped $100 on a drink each, cheese plate, and chicken... in retrospect doesn't sound worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- In search of.....SammmomDined on 11/22/2013We a e trying all the places listed in the UT article about Fish and Chips. This is our third and the winner so far. Excellent fish, bass not haddock or cod, and chips crispy. Sauteed snap peas as an homage to mushy peas (ick) much preferred. One of us doubted the bass so ordered the fried chicken special. Cleaned his plate! We started with mussels to share and hoovered that. Ended with sticky toffee pudding which was a disappointment. It was three tough Madeleines and gelato with maybe a hit of caramel sauce. Somehow not what we expected, but tasty. VERY NOISY but service is attentive even if the entree, as predicted by the server, was at least 25 minutes in coming. Parking is a nightmare so go on a weekday if you can. We willSpecial Features:
- Jayne's is reliably goodKathyinHillcrestCADined on 11/19/2013Thank goodness for Jayne's in the neighborhood! They can be counted on for a great experience.Special Features:
- The fried chicken specialOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/16/2013The fried chicken special was juicy but not crispy at all. The steak pie was terrific. Unfortunately the chicken was very averageI would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful weekday dinnerAiiciaDined on 11/14/2013Dinner was really nice on Thursday night. Jayne's dining room was not busy so we got undivided attention. Can't complain. The crab cakes were delicious. Mussels was flavorful , stronger than I'm used to in terms of seasoning but not in a bad way. Frites could have been thinner and more crisp. We were thinking mjoules et frites, the French style. I'll go back there again for sure. We also saw the inviting backyard so we'll probably go again for weekend brunch or lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Burger!LisaDined on 11/8/2013We come here for their burger and it's evidently what they are known for. Rarely do I take any burger home as a leftover meal. I took my three bites of leftover to have for breakfast the next morning. It is amazing in my opinion. The caesar salad is also something I keep ordering. It's full and fresh leaves of romaine lettuce, each dressed perfectly and topped with a delicious sprinkling of croutons. Wow, we love Jayne's Gastropub!I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatJerryDined on 11/6/2013Great place to go for a delicious meal& drink. Really two venues in one place. Inside a real bustling pub. Patio calmer&white table cloth atmosphere outside. Specials are just that. Wine list small but expertly assembled.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and vibrant atmosphere.OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/2/2013Great food and vibrant atmosphere. Prices a little on the high side for the lack of great service and for a regular dinner out but would return for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingMissyDined on 11/1/2013My husband and I have wanted to try this spot out since we are big fans of gastro-pubs. The ambiance was nice and clean. We started with lamb meatballs, which were good. Although the “meatballs” looked more like lamb patties. Anyways, I had the grouper which was delicious and cooked perfectly, but the garbanzo beans were overcooked. My husband ordered the special with fried chicken, collard greens and cornbread. The cornbread and collard greens were excellent. However, the fried chicken had soggy breading, and was very disappointing. We spent about $130 that night. And for that amount, the establishment is simply not worth it.
- GreatCarlosDined on 10/8/2013We were here for our anniversary dinner and I had the chicken under brick which was delicious and my wife had the fish and it was OK.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Been meaning to check outchanengDined on 10/5/2013Been meaning to check out Jayne's for some time now, had heard great things. I put together a dinner party for 6 and the food/ambiance/service definitely lived up to all of our expectations! Wonderful experience, will certainly be back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food in a casual atmospheretiminsandiegoDined on 9/28/2013Fish and chips were the best in town. Service could not be better. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Good dining ExperienceCarlyVIPDined on 9/19/2013The service was excellent, but I felt the food was average and overpriced. I'm not sure if I would go back or recommend to other foodies.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our Favorite Neighborhood PlacecalpoidogVIPDined on 9/17/2013We've been going to Jayne's since it's opened and love the cozy, neighborhood feel. Everyone seems to know everyone and Jayne makes everyone feel welcome. The menu is consistently good and keeps standard favorites on the menu while refreshing with seasonal dishes. Handcrafted cocktails also change a bit with the seasons so there is always something new to try. Their hamburger is my favorite burger in all of San Diego, hands down. Check their website from time to time as they often have special occasions going on such as holiday brunch and wine/food tastings. If the evening is warm enough, try to get a seat on the outside patio. It's cozy, great ambiance, perfect for a romantic date and much quieter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best schnitzel in San DiegoboltboyDined on 8/24/2013Jayne's is one of favorite restaurants period, nonetheless when they have schnitzel week, it is the best! best schnitzel in town and home made Spätzle as well with their home made schnitzel and of course excellent beers and great wine.Special Features:
- Food average; service awful.OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/17/2013The good: Great beer and wine lists. Nice cheese tray as an appetizer. The bad: Water is served in a glass barely larger than a thimble. That would be okay if the water glasses were refilled often. We had no water the last half hour of our meal. We ordered the steak frites and the duck entrees. The steak was large and cooked to order. Unfortunately, the cut of meat was extremely tough, chewy and sinewy. The duck was average. The gnocchi were bland. The service was virtually non-existent once our orders were taken. It took at least 20 minutes once it was obvious we were finished with the meal for our plates to be removed. Then it took another 15 minutes for our server to ask if we wanted dessert or coffee. Won't be returning.
- they have the hardest workingmarcoDined on 8/16/2013they have the hardest working staff in san diego and the best food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/3/2013Our absolute favorite in SD; highly recommended! On this visit we ordered three of the specials and all three were magnificent. If the mussels with chorizo is available beg, borrow or steal to get a dish! Wonderful experience for our fifth wedding annivesray, we couldn't have been more pleased with the entire experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Jayne's!LaurenDined on 7/31/2013My husband and I came in to celebrate us killing it at life! The food, service and wine list were all amazing. Ariel made a cocktail for my husband and it was probably one of the best cocktails I have ever tried! Thanks Ariel! and the ambience was just wonederful. I think I found my new favorite restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Increasingly expensiveOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/15/2013We have been going to Jayne's for several years and love the food and the ambience. The service and servers are always great. Jayne herself is often around and is so nice. BUT, it seems as if their food prices have really gotten gone through the roof. Four of us ate there last Saturday night and for 2 of us (1 appetizer, 1 entree, 1/2 bottle of a too expensive bottle of French wine - $48) it cost us $94. I personally feel that this is a bit much for the quantity and quality of food we received. This is really just a neighborhood restaurant, a gastroPUB after all, and the prices should reflect this. We're not talking about a downtown restaurant on the top floor with huge rent and other costs. And the wine list has tilted towards high prices.Special Features:
- All a great time with great food!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/8/2013Eating at Jayne's is like eating at the home of a good friend. The food and atmosphere are excellent. Also, the owner (Jayne) can always been seen at the restaurant, walking around and talking to folks. The best part is getting an opportunity to say hi to her adorable 2yo daughter, Romy who is a fixture at Jayne's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special EveningpattiDined on 6/8/2013We went to an early dinner as we had theatre tickets. Jayne's was great. We sat on the patio. It was very romantic and the service was great. The food was amazing and we will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not close to localOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/7/2013They have a very nice outside patio outback. Went with a group, we all agreed that the food was just “OK” and expensive. The exception was the mussels. I was disappointed. The wine list is expensive and trouble, not one wine from California and the beer list the same, not good. This in a great beer town. I have been too many gastopubs around the world, this is not one of them.Special Features:
- Neighborhood gemOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/29/2013We return to Jayne's again and again to enjoy their outdoor patio and for their fish and chips!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.