20 Broad St
Nantucket, MA 02554Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://dunenantucket.com/
- Phone: 5082285550
- Hours of Operation:
Serving Lunch from 12-3 and dinner 6-10, bar opens at 5
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Michael Getter
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wine
A word from Dune
Dune, new to Nantucket in 2009, is a creation of Michael Getter, formerly of 21 Federal and American Seasons restaurants. The décor in our three distinct dining rooms is a blend of sophisticated elegance and soothing comfort. Along with our exotic quartzite bar and charming patio we offer an extensive selection of handcrafted cocktails, wines, liquors and cordials along with offering full lunch, dinner and dessert menus. The ever changing menu showcases an innovative selection of the finest in seasonal local produce, fish and meats from regional farms and select purveyors.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Dune reviews from OpenTable diners
152 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (93)special occasion (61)great for outdoor dining (56)neighborhood gem (50)romantic (48)hot spot (31)notable wine list (30)good for groups (23)vibrant bar scene (22)great for lunch (9)late-night find (6)kid-friendly (4)great for brunch (4)Show More
- Fabulous FoodKathVIPDined on 10/25/2013Our first visit to Nantucket, and we chose this restaurant based on Open Table reviews. We had a beet salad, with whipped goat cheese which was delicious. Green salad had a little too much lemon in the dressing, but was still good. We had scallops and salmon for entrees, both delicious with excellent sides. I was able to order a half serving of the entree, which was great as a full serving is too much. We split a pumpkin crime brûlée which was outstanding. Service was excellent. Overall, a lovely dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Near PerfectionSoSatisfiedDined on 10/21/2013My husband and I visted Nantucket to celebrate our 25th Wedding Anniversary and chose Dune for dinner one night after reading so many great reviews! We were not disappointed! The small plate options allowed us to try several entrees that were all prepared to near perfection in our book! Everything tasted fresh and healthy and not over sauced or over seasoned. We enjoyed the salmon, scallops and shrimp gnocchi and loved them all equally. The service was wonderful and ambiance was lovely! The only suggestion I would have for the restaurant is to offer a bit more light as we had trouble reading the menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good mealbos2wlyDined on 10/19/2013had a very good meal w. a group of people w. different tastes, something for everyone and all meals were great and enjoyed by allSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Very Special MealBarbDined on 10/15/2013Four of us celebrated my husband's birthday at Dune. Although we were seated upstairs in a banquette table with a promise that the space would soon be filled, No one else arrived. This proved a blessing when we went downstairs to leave and observed the noise level there. The food was superb. Everyone in our party said it was the best they had had in quite a while. The beet salad on a bed of creamed goat cheese with an expanded portion could have easily been a main course for a vegetarian. There also were several vegetarian main course options, including a risotto which I had. The others enjoyed a swordfish entree and one of salmon. A fig pudding with bacon/maple ice cream was interesting. The wine list was quite varied in price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Fare at Dune!DithDined on 10/14/2013Excellent food & service. So happy we dined here for dinner We are still talking about the delicious food a day later. The portions are good sized, we had the shrimp chive gnocchi and filet steak- bu we still Both had room for dessert, also incredible. A definite Return destination upon our return to Nantucket.Special Features:
- Best Restaurant Anywhere!!ThebearsDined on 10/10/2013This is actually better than 5 stars for food. One of the best restaurants anywhere in the world. All food is cooked and spiced appropriately. Everything is delicious. They treat vegetarians with respect (which you don't usually find). Their vegetarian sampler is more than just a selection of vegetables. There is great attention to detail in everything they serve. We will return over and over again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The wine the waiter chosemaryDined on 9/28/2013The wine the waiter chose was awful. We left the entire bottle on the table. There was some kind of girls party in the private room. They were so loud that we could not even talk to one another across the table in another room. No one from the restaurant spoke with them. Finally my husband had to go in and ask them to quiet down a little.
- Fabulous place!SandM27Dined on 9/27/2013We went to Dune for our anniversary, at the recommendation of our B&B, and absolutely loved it. Our waiter "Gregoreo" was friendly, responsive, and very knowledgeable about both the food and the wine. The atmosphere was fun, classy outdoor patio but enclosed enough to be warm and comfortable this time of year. (Inside seating also available). And the food was simply delicious - we split the roasted calamari (NOT fried), fresh local greens & herb salad, and each of us had the Cornish hen - all were out of this world. We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and good portionsTmc210Dined on 9/27/2013Started w/lobster risotto which was good but, shrimp and gnocchi entree was fabulous! Very impressed w/portions, I was full! Sat outside in patio b/c upstairs was a little quiet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An incredible new experience on ACKmowen09VIPDined on 9/26/2013We went to dune on the recommendation of a local store owner. Wow - what a treat! We had the local herb salad and crab to start, cod and steak frites for mains. All was incredible,and we can't wait to go back for stroll!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better Last YeartomhVIPDined on 9/26/2013The dining room is uninteresting (banquette seating along two walls) which is fine when the food is the star. A year ago my wife and I came to Nantucket twice. Dune had small plate appetizers, many in an Asian style. This was our favorite restaurant. Last week the food was just ordinary. For example, the Korean BBQ shortribs was a bowl with about ten moderately tough shortribs. As with the rest of the dishes we had on this night, the food was lacking in flavor and presentation. Things change and they will here again--I hope.
- Consistently good!DunefanDined on 9/21/2013Great food, beautiful presentation, wouldn't hesitate to go back.Special Features:
- Best of the week!Alandrews7Dined on 9/18/2013We ate at a number of great restaurants this week including Company of the Cauldren and Straight Wharf. All were pricey but Dune had the best food of anywhere we ate. Highly recommend it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dune does not disappointCiscosurfDined on 9/12/2013My second visit to Dune this season was just as delightful as the first. The food is great, the service attentive but not hovering and the ambience lovely. I do wish it was a bit quieter, but I think that's a fairly universal problem in small venues.Special Features:
- Excellent overallExRayDined on 9/10/2013We were given a choice of patio or inside table and chose covered patio. Very nice server. All entrees nicely done...cod, fluke, short ribs. Very imaginative onion soup, a puree rather than classic French style, but wonderful. A bit pricey but we thought fair value for the quality of the food served.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- There was nothing specialBBNewtonDined on 9/8/2013There was nothing special about the meal. The meal was fine but if I had to rank the various restaurants (total of 4) that we frequented on this visit to the island it was the lowest rated. I did not find the staff to be that welcoming.
- EXCELLENT!!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/3/2013Our dinner at Dune was the highlight of our week in Nantucket. The food was creative and excellent. The lobster/heirloom tomato appetizer was superb, and ample in portion, it could have been my whole meal. The Taste of Chocolate dessert was the perfect ending, with each sampling prepared with very unique flavors. The service was a bit choppy. I think they might have been shorthanded. Overall, I would definitely return to Dune.Special Features:
- Absolutely delicious!ThebearsDined on 9/2/2013From our very first bite, to our last, we found our meals at Dune delicious! As a vegetarian, I was delighted with the "Sampler"...six unique, and tasty vegetable dishes all artfully arranged on a rectangular platter. What a treat to have such variety within a single entree. No boring Pasta Primavera here! My husband finished every morsel of his steak and we quickly polished off our shared Chocolate Sampling dessert. Our waitress was friendly and helpful and we enjoyed our comfortable corner table and upholstered benches. The decor was simple and the color palette evoked sand dunes...ofcourse.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What am I missing here?BigfoodieVIPDined on 8/30/2013Really disappointing! Over-reliance on overpowering the entree with other flavors vs. bringing out their natural flavored. The highly-touted tuna seemed waterlogged and devoid of its own flavor. The accompaniments were drowned in (albeit a very nice) Balsamic that was all you could taste. The hanger steak had a rub that significantly detracted from generally a flavorful cut of meat. Conversely, the gazpacho was runny and bland. All in all, I found The Dune to be unremarkable to put it kindly. The service was excellent, the wine list decent, but the value poor based on the food quality. It appears I am in the minority on this, and I'm not suggesting the restaurant is bad, just nowhere near as good as others have suggested.
- Dinner at DuneOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 8/29/2013My wife and I had an excellent experience at Dune. It was our last evening on Nantucket, and we had also tried American Seasons, and Towne for fine dining. My wife may disagree, but I enjoyed Dune the most. Great service, attentive but not pushy, a very relaxing room and wonderful fish- I had fluke, my wife had swordfish, both beautifully prepared and delicious. We shared an arugula salad to start and it was delicious. Good selection of wines by the glass. The meal was pricey, but totally in line with other Nantucket restaurants. I would certainly go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Third time here. Korean barbequesconseterVIPDined on 8/26/2013Third time here. Korean barbeque short ribs appetizer is to die for!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best halibut everPastaplusDined on 8/24/2013The special halibut dish was the best flavor combination of any meal to date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food...Best of ourOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/23/2013Excellent food...Best of our vacation in NantucketSpecial Features:
- Perfect anniversay dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2013We have dinner at Dune once or twice each year, but this visit was special, and every aspect of our meal was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticJGibbsVTDined on 8/23/2013Dune was fantastic. Even our 6 year old appreciated the fantastic food and great service. A perfect combination of smart casual and elegance. Well done.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinnerdebyacDined on 8/22/2013Portions were really generous. Had softshell crab soup, really unusual...but outstanding. Also had fluke and it was fantastic. Bar was a little noisey but we were eating later in the evening so it was kind of hopping. Too full for dessert...next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful place for lunchKAS1VIPDined on 8/22/2013Wonderful place for lunch in Nantucket. Food was very good as was the service.Special Features:
- Nice dining experienceMcdonowilVIPDined on 8/21/2013Good food, good service, expensive drinks and wine, but no more so than any other fine dining restaurant on the rock. They should tell you when they automatically add a 20% tip onto the bill, so that you don't add another tip on top.Special Features:
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/19/2013Great eating experience. The menu is interesting and the two courses I had were delicious. The fish was cooked to perfection and the vegetables were creative. I would recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was a great dining experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/18/2013It was a great dining experience. The god was delicious, the service terrific. We will definitely be back and would recommend to anyoneSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was great, patio table - notJimAZVIPDined on 8/15/2013We ate here and truly loved the food, but eating outside was less than good. It was noisy, and not very charming. Insist on a table inside. Service was efficient, but indifferent. Our waiter was not very familiar with the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/15/2013The food at Dune was as good as we have had anywhere. Both my wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our entrees. The main dining room is small, but beautifully decorated and very intimate. Overall, a wonderful experience and highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great presentation and qualityGarutchDined on 8/13/2013The gazpacho had a delicious mysterious white gelato of lemon verbena. Yummy soup. My wifes salmon sashimi was tiny and over a fried rice cake and while my seared tuna amazingly delicious w various dripped sauces for $36 it was small. I never understand why reataurants that can charge anything dont just over do it and give a larger portion. Im guessing they want you to save room for dessert. We didnt.Special Features:
- Excellent!TomMDined on 8/10/2013Ate with my wife on a Saturday evening in August. We both liked the menu's inventive take on classic items. My wife had a Mediteranean-style grilled swordfish built around a tzatziki sauce, and I had pan-seared striped bass over sweet potato, corn & chorizo. Both were excellent and among the best seafood we have eaten in recent memory. Our server helped with a winning wine recommendation reflecting both our tastes, and the evening's dishes (wish I could remember her name, but the wine was very good!).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodElizaDined on 8/9/2013We had a wonderful dinner at Dune. Freshness of food was notable. I think this was particularly true of the salad. I also loved the swordfish, moist and delicious. We were on the second floor which I didn't like as much. Ask for first floor or outdoors.Special Features:
- Delicious!BeachpeaDined on 8/8/2013Very inventive. Lovely presentation.(Don't miss the beet salad) The best meal we have had on the island this year! Attentive and knowledgeable staff. We recommended the restaurant to two other couples the next day. We are looking forward to returning soon!Special Features:
- Disappointed after all the hypeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/7/2013The atmosphere is beautiful and we were excited for a lovely dinner celebrating our arrival in Nantucket. The service was excellent BUT we felt very rushed throughout the whole experience. In all fairness, I should note that we were probably the first of several rounds of diners as our dinner was at 6:45 but we barely put the fork down and the plate was whisked away. The appetizer special was excellent but the other was just ok and we were excited for the main course -- the dinner was just ok and we decided to have coffee and dessert elsewhere. Add to that that the meal was $200 which is fine when it's good but this was really nothing special.
- Family get togetherililiVIPDined on 8/6/2013We were meeting family for lunch and it was the perfect place. Food was delicious and no one rushed us so we were able to sit an talk for awhile. Only issue was that they must have forgotten to order my meal as I had to wait about 10 minutes after everyone else's came out.Special Features:
- Dune is delicious.KathyVIPDined on 8/5/2013Dune is delicious and tasteful (pun intended). Our party had the steak and fluke, both were prepared to perfection and artfully presented. The décor was a treat to the eye as well...soft beige and white...subtle and soothing. We were a party of 3 and we each enjoy different wines so we ordered by the glass and we all enjoyed; very yummy wine. We'll go back.Special Features:
- Disappointed by 2nd Fl atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/2/2013The food was excellent - however- the location of our table on the second floor was sorely lacking of any ambience. Our last several times we have eaten on the first floor which has a great vibe. Unfortunately this time we ate on the second floor and the atmosphere was terrible - it honestly was so lacking of any buzz that it affected the meals and as a result at the end of the evening we all commented that the food was good, but not enough to overcome the location on the 2nd floor. We don't have any plans to revisit in the near future.I would recommend this to a friend.