20 Broad St
Nantucket, MA 02554Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://dunenantucket.com/
- Phone: 5082285550
- Hours of Operation:
Serving Lunch from 12-3 and dinner 6-10, bar opens at 5
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Michael Getter
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wine
A word from Dune
Dune, new to Nantucket in 2009, is a creation of Michael Getter, formerly of 21 Federal and American Seasons restaurants. The décor in our three distinct dining rooms is a blend of sophisticated elegance and soothing comfort. Along with our exotic quartzite bar and charming patio we offer an extensive selection of handcrafted cocktails, wines, liquors and cordials along with offering full lunch, dinner and dessert menus. The ever changing menu showcases an innovative selection of the finest in seasonal local produce, fish and meats from regional farms and select purveyors.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Dune reviews from OpenTable diners
149 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (92)special occasion (60)great for outdoor dining (49)neighborhood gem (49)romantic (45)hot spot (33)notable wine list (29)good for groups (24)vibrant bar scene (21)great for lunch (7)late-night find (6)great for brunch (4)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- Sensational Food !!!ThebearsDined on 4/5/2014We enjoyed our 3rd visit to Dune... Great features are -- All entrees are delicious and very well seasoned. -- Dune presents a great vegetarian option. -- Dune now offers half size entrees for half priceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The great dunePerfessoroffoodDined on 3/29/2014Dune is a restaurant that brings love into life.. If your looking to impress her with a romantic restaurant done is it.. She will be all over you!!!!! She will think you know what your doing and that's important..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a fantastic choice!acknewbieDined on 3/8/2014Dune is it! The perfect marriage of culinary perfection and experience. Fine dining at its best, Dune also manages to feel approachable and not stuffy, which made for a great dinner. The duck confit was melt in your mouth delicious and while you can never go wrong with Nantucket scallops, somehow chef Michael Getter makes them even better! I would not only recommend Dune to friends, I would recommend it to strangers!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exellent taste superb presentationJohnDouglasDined on 3/8/2014This is a very sophisticated and rewarding restaurant. The food is prepared with original tastes and presented in artistic fashion. The service is attentive, if a bit quick between courses. It is not a restaurant in which you will likely feel comfortable lingering long over a meal. The kale salad and the beet salad are wonderful. The highlight of our two visits were the bay scallops, small, slightly browned in a white sauce with delicate vegetables. Most dishes are offered in two sizes and this does mean medium and small. This restaurant comes highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- this spot...amyndocDined on 2/14/2014...always makes us happy. the food is excellent, the atmosphere is great, and we are just *never* disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant. Always consistentkateoriordanVIPDined on 2/14/2014Great restaurant. Always consistently great food and service. 1/2 plates available.Special Features:
- Delightful diningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/8/2014From beginning to end a classically enjoyable evening. From the friendly greeting at the door to the attentive and engaging waiter to the impeccably prepared and presented food. The pace of service was great. The ambience of the restaurant was energetic, wonderful for the middle of winter! Really appreciate the option of 1/2 orders on some entrees which makes getting 3 courses a comfortable possibility. : ) Great wine list, good variety of bourbons too, thanks! Our party of four can't wait to get back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dune diningtomandpaulaDined on 12/7/2013everything was perfect....service was wonderful and wait staff were kind and knowledgable.....very romantic and festive at the same time! i would definitely come back!Special Features:
- Christmas Stroll AccomodationStrollPartyDined on 12/7/2013The Restaurant was VERY good to take our reservation of 12 for the day of the Christmas Stroll....We were given a private room....Food and Service were excellent.....kYleSpecial Features:
- Great meal every timemowen09VIPDined on 12/6/2013This is the second time we've been to Dune - and it was excellent again. While we did like the full menu better than the prix fixe, both the food, wine and service were all top notch. We look forward to dining there again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DuneJohnDined on 11/29/2013Great restaurant with a lot of local and fresh ingredients (a must on Nantucket). I was on a date and the opportunity to order small plate versions of the main courses is great to try different things and really enjoy the experience. The staff we're great and very friendly. Some people prefer silent service, but I don't mind a server that's willing to talk about the menu and improve your experience. The food was all interesting and good. Some items, like the clams, eschewed simplicity in favor of crazy blended flavor profiles. The only thing I would recommend is that the protein or the focus of the dish should really stand out in my mind. I want to taste the protein in its best preparation. Some of the items were overdressed/seasoned.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceJeffVIPDined on 11/2/2013Dune was a great experience for my wife and I over the weekend. We got there a little early before our reservation and the host was fantastic. He said there was a table open, not ours, or we could get a drink at the bar and wait a bit. A few minutes later, he approached us with a third option and we were seated. The service was prompt, informative and friendly. The food was even better. The special appetizer, BBQ pork belly, was outstanding. The entree special, fresh pasta, was even better. My loved her scallops. Finally, the special desert, maple/marscapone cheesecake was a delightful way to end a fantastic meal.Special Features:
- Last Night on NantucketTommyDined on 10/29/2013Chose Dune for last restaurant visit on Nantucket before leaving for the season. Excellent choice! Had dined on the previous eventing at American Seasons and thought that would be hard to beat. Dune proved me wrong. Had special pasta as an appetizer and scallops for main course. Desert was the apple pie. All accompanied by a sparkling rose. Been to this restaurant several times and each visit seems better than last. Can't wait to return!Special Features:
- A first timerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/28/2013Had heard that dune was good. Friends decided to go there. We had excellent food delightfully presented. Nice wait staff. Drawbacks: small portions and poor wine choices by the glass. Still would recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous FoodKathVIPDined on 10/25/2013Our first visit to Nantucket, and we chose this restaurant based on Open Table reviews. We had a beet salad, with whipped goat cheese which was delicious. Green salad had a little too much lemon in the dressing, but was still good. We had scallops and salmon for entrees, both delicious with excellent sides. I was able to order a half serving of the entree, which was great as a full serving is too much. We split a pumpkin crime brûlée which was outstanding. Service was excellent. Overall, a lovely dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Near PerfectionSoSatisfiedDined on 10/21/2013My husband and I visted Nantucket to celebrate our 25th Wedding Anniversary and chose Dune for dinner one night after reading so many great reviews! We were not disappointed! The small plate options allowed us to try several entrees that were all prepared to near perfection in our book! Everything tasted fresh and healthy and not over sauced or over seasoned. We enjoyed the salmon, scallops and shrimp gnocchi and loved them all equally. The service was wonderful and ambiance was lovely! The only suggestion I would have for the restaurant is to offer a bit more light as we had trouble reading the menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good mealbos2wlyDined on 10/19/2013had a very good meal w. a group of people w. different tastes, something for everyone and all meals were great and enjoyed by allSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Very Special MealBarbDined on 10/15/2013Four of us celebrated my husband's birthday at Dune. Although we were seated upstairs in a banquette table with a promise that the space would soon be filled, No one else arrived. This proved a blessing when we went downstairs to leave and observed the noise level there. The food was superb. Everyone in our party said it was the best they had had in quite a while. The beet salad on a bed of creamed goat cheese with an expanded portion could have easily been a main course for a vegetarian. There also were several vegetarian main course options, including a risotto which I had. The others enjoyed a swordfish entree and one of salmon. A fig pudding with bacon/maple ice cream was interesting. The wine list was quite varied in price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Fare at Dune!DithDined on 10/14/2013Excellent food & service. So happy we dined here for dinner We are still talking about the delicious food a day later. The portions are good sized, we had the shrimp chive gnocchi and filet steak- bu we still Both had room for dessert, also incredible. A definite Return destination upon our return to Nantucket.Special Features:
- Best Restaurant Anywhere!!ThebearsDined on 10/10/2013This is actually better than 5 stars for food. One of the best restaurants anywhere in the world. All food is cooked and spiced appropriately. Everything is delicious. They treat vegetarians with respect (which you don't usually find). Their vegetarian sampler is more than just a selection of vegetables. There is great attention to detail in everything they serve. We will return over and over again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The wine the waiter chosemaryDined on 9/28/2013The wine the waiter chose was awful. We left the entire bottle on the table. There was some kind of girls party in the private room. They were so loud that we could not even talk to one another across the table in another room. No one from the restaurant spoke with them. Finally my husband had to go in and ask them to quiet down a little.
- Fabulous place!SandM27Dined on 9/27/2013We went to Dune for our anniversary, at the recommendation of our B&B, and absolutely loved it. Our waiter "Gregoreo" was friendly, responsive, and very knowledgeable about both the food and the wine. The atmosphere was fun, classy outdoor patio but enclosed enough to be warm and comfortable this time of year. (Inside seating also available). And the food was simply delicious - we split the roasted calamari (NOT fried), fresh local greens & herb salad, and each of us had the Cornish hen - all were out of this world. We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and good portionsTmc210Dined on 9/27/2013Started w/lobster risotto which was good but, shrimp and gnocchi entree was fabulous! Very impressed w/portions, I was full! Sat outside in patio b/c upstairs was a little quiet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An incredible new experience on ACKmowen09VIPDined on 9/26/2013We went to dune on the recommendation of a local store owner. Wow - what a treat! We had the local herb salad and crab to start, cod and steak frites for mains. All was incredible,and we can't wait to go back for stroll!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better Last YeartomhVIPDined on 9/26/2013The dining room is uninteresting (banquette seating along two walls) which is fine when the food is the star. A year ago my wife and I came to Nantucket twice. Dune had small plate appetizers, many in an Asian style. This was our favorite restaurant. Last week the food was just ordinary. For example, the Korean BBQ shortribs was a bowl with about ten moderately tough shortribs. As with the rest of the dishes we had on this night, the food was lacking in flavor and presentation. Things change and they will here again--I hope.
- Consistently good!DunefanDined on 9/21/2013Great food, beautiful presentation, wouldn't hesitate to go back.Special Features:
- Best of the week!Alandrews7Dined on 9/18/2013We ate at a number of great restaurants this week including Company of the Cauldren and Straight Wharf. All were pricey but Dune had the best food of anywhere we ate. Highly recommend it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dune does not disappointCiscosurfDined on 9/12/2013My second visit to Dune this season was just as delightful as the first. The food is great, the service attentive but not hovering and the ambience lovely. I do wish it was a bit quieter, but I think that's a fairly universal problem in small venues.Special Features:
- Excellent overallExRayVIPDined on 9/10/2013We were given a choice of patio or inside table and chose covered patio. Very nice server. All entrees nicely done...cod, fluke, short ribs. Very imaginative onion soup, a puree rather than classic French style, but wonderful. A bit pricey but we thought fair value for the quality of the food served.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- There was nothing specialBBNewtonDined on 9/8/2013There was nothing special about the meal. The meal was fine but if I had to rank the various restaurants (total of 4) that we frequented on this visit to the island it was the lowest rated. I did not find the staff to be that welcoming.
- EXCELLENT!!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/3/2013Our dinner at Dune was the highlight of our week in Nantucket. The food was creative and excellent. The lobster/heirloom tomato appetizer was superb, and ample in portion, it could have been my whole meal. The Taste of Chocolate dessert was the perfect ending, with each sampling prepared with very unique flavors. The service was a bit choppy. I think they might have been shorthanded. Overall, I would definitely return to Dune.Special Features:
- Absolutely delicious!ThebearsDined on 9/2/2013From our very first bite, to our last, we found our meals at Dune delicious! As a vegetarian, I was delighted with the "Sampler"...six unique, and tasty vegetable dishes all artfully arranged on a rectangular platter. What a treat to have such variety within a single entree. No boring Pasta Primavera here! My husband finished every morsel of his steak and we quickly polished off our shared Chocolate Sampling dessert. Our waitress was friendly and helpful and we enjoyed our comfortable corner table and upholstered benches. The decor was simple and the color palette evoked sand dunes...ofcourse.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What am I missing here?BigfoodieVIPDined on 8/30/2013Really disappointing! Over-reliance on overpowering the entree with other flavors vs. bringing out their natural flavored. The highly-touted tuna seemed waterlogged and devoid of its own flavor. The accompaniments were drowned in (albeit a very nice) Balsamic that was all you could taste. The hanger steak had a rub that significantly detracted from generally a flavorful cut of meat. Conversely, the gazpacho was runny and bland. All in all, I found The Dune to be unremarkable to put it kindly. The service was excellent, the wine list decent, but the value poor based on the food quality. It appears I am in the minority on this, and I'm not suggesting the restaurant is bad, just nowhere near as good as others have suggested.
- Dinner at DuneOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 8/29/2013My wife and I had an excellent experience at Dune. It was our last evening on Nantucket, and we had also tried American Seasons, and Towne for fine dining. My wife may disagree, but I enjoyed Dune the most. Great service, attentive but not pushy, a very relaxing room and wonderful fish- I had fluke, my wife had swordfish, both beautifully prepared and delicious. We shared an arugula salad to start and it was delicious. Good selection of wines by the glass. The meal was pricey, but totally in line with other Nantucket restaurants. I would certainly go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Third time here. Korean barbequesconseterVIPDined on 8/26/2013Third time here. Korean barbeque short ribs appetizer is to die for!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best halibut everPastaplusDined on 8/24/2013The special halibut dish was the best flavor combination of any meal to date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food...Best of ourOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/23/2013Excellent food...Best of our vacation in NantucketSpecial Features:
- Perfect anniversay dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2013We have dinner at Dune once or twice each year, but this visit was special, and every aspect of our meal was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticJGibbsVTDined on 8/23/2013Dune was fantastic. Even our 6 year old appreciated the fantastic food and great service. A perfect combination of smart casual and elegance. Well done.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinnerdebyacDined on 8/22/2013Portions were really generous. Had softshell crab soup, really unusual...but outstanding. Also had fluke and it was fantastic. Bar was a little noisey but we were eating later in the evening so it was kind of hopping. Too full for dessert...next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.