Burwell's Stone Fire Grill
14 North Market Street
Charleston, SC 29401Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $30 and under
Burwell's Stone Fire Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.burwellscharleston.com/
- Phone: 843-737-8700x
- Hours of Operation:
Bar: Nightly: 4:00pm - Close
Happy Hour Monday - Friday
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Dinner: Friday & Saturday 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Steakhouse, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jordan Moore
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We can cater any of your office parties or special events
- Entertainment: Live Music - Call the Restaurant for details
Large Parties - Call the Restaurant for details
- Special Events: We have five distinct private dining options
A word from Burwell's Stone Fire Grill
Burwell’s STONE FIRE GRILL serves Premium Steaks and Local Fish inventively updated for our modern world. The setting is a stunning and remarkable restoration of the historic space situated in the center of Charleston’s bustling Market District, adding modern flair. Burwell’s STONE FIRE GRILL serves accessible, approachable dishes that are rooted in the spirit of moving the steakhouse of old into this “Next Generation of Great Steakhouses." The heart of this new, modern steakhouse is award winning Executive Chef Jordan Moore and the Culinary Team. Come for dinner, stay for the fun! Rooftop Bar.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
Burwell's Stone Fire Grill - Best Restaurants in Downtown Charleston ›
Burwell's Stone Fire Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
137 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (95)fit for foodies (66)romantic (53)good for groups (41)neighborhood gem (36)notable wine list (35)hot spot (29)vibrant bar scene (22)late-night find (11)scenic view (7)kid-friendly (6)great for brunch (5)great for outdoor dining (3)great for lunch (2)Show More
- It's a steakhouseOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/26/2014Burwells is a bit pricey, but it can be worth it. Our main entrées were good but the steak didn't wow us. It was cooked close enough to order that it worked. Our favorites where the rock candy, and some of the sides. Look forward to returning again for cocktails, the rock candy, and sides turn your happy hour.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thrilled with our special dinnerosandersDined on 5/25/2014We were thrilled with our first (and definitely not last!) experience at Burwell's. We had friends in town who foodies and hard to please at restaurants. So I was delighted that they only had good things to say about our meal. Surf and turf did not disappoint! Our server Dave was fantastic--he was super friendly and helpful, and the timing of our dishes was on point. Only regret of the night was no gluten free rolls--need to come back and try those! We were all delighted with the wine, beer, and cocktails. Will be coming back soon. Thanks Burwell's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night outHoffDined on 5/23/2014We took our daughter to Charleston for the weekend. We ate at Burwell's based on a friends recommendation. We all had great meals and our server did an excellent job. I would definitely recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Great Food and ServiceScottEDined on 5/23/2014Our server (Alan) was excellent and did a fantastic job explaining the menu and his recommendations were spot on. all of our dinner items were excellent and they have fantastic wines to match. We highly recommend Burwell's!Special Features:
- KilloranDined on 5/22/2014Great dinner. Enjoyed the food and our waitress was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SteakhouseKSJSDined on 5/22/2014I don't know where to start. We had a bad day. On vacation, car broke down, got towed, now in shop awaiting report. We went to restaurant to see if we could get in earlier, we were starving but not serving yet, seated us at bar for happy hour. Katie the bartender, awesome! Such great southern hospitality! Introduced us to Dave the manager who was a fellow Michigander and very welcoming. Was seated on time, Cynthia our waitress was helpful and knowledgeable. Steaks were perfect and bernaise and steak sauce was superb! Exotic mushrooms are indescribably delicious! Do not miss this awesome restaurant! Everything and everyone were a well needed treat!Special Features:
- LuvsumgrubDined on 5/17/2014Excellent food. Steak was cooked and seasoned perfectly. I would definitely recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good menu, great service staffHoosierDaddyDined on 5/17/2014Had a great meal with a very attentive and helpful server. Will definitely return!Special Features:
- Great Experience!BrianDined on 5/15/2014My wife and I chose this restaurant to celebrate our wedding anniversary. It was a wonderful experience! The food was amazing and the service was great! We are from out of town, but we will definitely recommend this restaurant to our friends and family!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CarolinaGirl173VIPDined on 5/14/2014Great Strip Steak. Prepared perfectly. Wonderful Caesar Salad. Loved the cheese plate. Sides are very good. Try the asparagus with fried egg and the mac and cheese. Staff and management are very friendly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MervDined on 5/11/2014Surprised to get a reservation at 6:30 on Mother's Day. Not very busy and not impressed with the food for the money we spent. Our waitress was excellent. Very friendly and knowledgeable. This is our second visit since opening, but will not return. Management walked by numerous times and did not stop by our table. Bar Keep was very friendly and talkative as well.
- Great foodpickyeaterDined on 5/3/2014Steaks were cooked perfect. Staff was very friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and rooftop seating, tooCharlestonEDinerDined on 5/3/2014Another great meal at Burwell's. We started our meal with a mint julep in the bar, as we watched The Kentucky Derby. The bartender also made a delicious "Mocktail" for me, with fruit juices and lavendar simple syrup- delicious. We each ordered a filet, served over whipped yukon potatoes and seasoned succotash made with edemame. The meat was tender, charred outside and warm, red inside. Mine was so flavorful that no sauce or condiment was needed. My dining partner enjoyed a light bernaise sauce which he said enhanced but did not overpower the flavor of his filet. Our server was helpful and knew the menu well.Special Features:
- Great FindmkkpaDined on 4/26/2014Food was great, service was outstanding! It was a very comfortable atmosphere... upbeat yet calming.Special Features:
- Best steak in CharlestonFergDined on 4/26/2014Burwell's has the best steak in Charleston at half the price of the bigger name restaurants. They were also very accommodating of my 8 month old son on a recent trip. This is my favorite restaurant to bring out of town guests to for great steak.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, great steak!chsdinerVIPDined on 4/22/2014I went with a group from work and we all loved it. The evening special was a Palmetto Filet (locally raised, all natural) and it was excellent. I always prefer to eat locally sourced food and several of us at the table ordered this special and were very impressed. Hopefully it will continue to be offered! The Blueberry Mint Smash was also a hit with the table - not to be missed!Special Features:
- Easter BrunchMarlaDined on 4/20/2014A serene ambiance for Easter Brunch. Friendly staff, amazing food and gorgeous presentation.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/19/2014Great food, excellent service from our server, Alan, but noise levels made it hard to carry on a conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun diningJupiterKathyDined on 4/18/2014Our family enjoyed a fun dining experience. Appetizer cooked on lava rock was fun, dinner presentation and preparation was fantastic :) Brussel sprouts were delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A market street gem if a grillCANUKUSADined on 4/18/2014Three must haves dining at Burwells 1. Moscow mule 2. Deviled eggs 3. Bone in ribeye Conclusion .... Sufficiently sufunsified apeased appetite !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner with unique menuGoodfoodtoeatDined on 4/18/2014Great place to dine. Superb soft shell crab entree and filet mignon. The waiter was exceptional and very attentive. Great recommendations from the restaurant staff made our selection easier. Great drinks and wine list. Definite place to return to on our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/17/2014Had a great meal.. Cant say enough good things about it. Steak was perfect.Special Features:
- One of my new favs?KrystalMVIPDined on 4/16/2014We ordered the Flight of Flavor app. and it was fun to cook the meat ourselves! My boyfriend ordered the bone-in-rib-eye with a side of asparagus, both tasted amazing! The asparagus tasted very fresh. I ordered the scallops, which didn't look very appetizing when it arrived, but the first few bites were pretty good. It was different..but after a while I realized that I could only eat a few bites-it wasn't very good :( The manager was very apologetic and said he'd take it off the menu. I ordered a side of mozzarella mac n cheese which was very good! We got a complimentary dessert for my boyfriend's birthday. Overall the staff was very professional and attentive and we enjoyed the meal! I will definitely be going back again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect SteakLocalCoupleDined on 4/15/2014Another great dining experience in Charleston. We are local and do our best to try new places as much as possible. Burwells is relatively new located where Market St. hits the port. Service was great, the setting was great, and the food was fantastic. The steak was cooked perfectly and could be cut with a butter knife. This place has great bar options both inside and outside. Just from my experience, I hope this place stays successful because the Charleston restaurant scene is no place for the faint of heart. Thanks for a great dinner Burwell's!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 25th AnniversaryFoodwasgreatDined on 4/12/2014These guys were great. We were greeted by the Hostess, while waiting for our we went to the rooftop bar and enjoyed our drinks and the knowledgeable bartender. We told the Hostess it was our 25th, and from there we were really taken care of. From the Hostess to the Owner, everyone really took great care of us, including the pastry chef for our desert. (fabulous personalized dessert tray) We definitely recommend Burwell's, next time we are in Charleston, we'll go back. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Big DisappointmentCharlestonlocalVIPDined on 4/12/2014Great renovation job of two adjoining restaurants, but that's where any accolades must end. Wife and I both had steaks - supposedly their specialty. Would rate the food itself mediocre at best. She crab soup was not hot enough and fairly unappetizing as presented - about the worst tasting I have had locally. The strip steak was somewhat chewy with some odd fat here and there - didn't really look or eat like a strip. Service was OK, but the pace was a bit hurried. Very good wine at a reasonable price. We do NOT recommend.
- First timersOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/11/2014We came here on Friday night and had a wonderful evening. Four of us ordered steak and we were very impressed with the way it was prepared and the quality of the cuts. Our sides and desserts were delicious as well. The server, Alan was friendly and attentive. We highly recommend Burwells!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingTammyDined on 4/10/2014My filet mignon had a fatty texture. I expected better from this restaurant.
- Great food and funSteakeaterDined on 4/10/2014Four of us had one of the best meals ever. Small filet and lobster tail is just right for the average appetite after the fabulous Deviled Eggs. Others had Scallops and Salmon. Ask for David for you waiter and you will not be disappointed in his service and personality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stone firedfoodie337Dined on 4/9/2014Had the Deckle, which is listed as an appetizer, as my meal. It is served raw and you cook it on a 700 degree stone. Very flavorful piece of meat and you cook it how you want it. There is 7oz of meat so with a side and a salad made for a great meal. My Wife and Son had the Filet cooked medium rare. The filet was heavily smoked and tasted more like a brisket, they prefer a more traditionally cooked Filtet. I would highly recommend the Candy Rock (Deckle) as your meat and the Brussel Sprouts as your side.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for visitorsferdfoodieDined on 4/7/2014this was recommended to us by friends that have a daughter at College of Charleston - solid, creative menu; very good wine list; excellent service; great ambiance. Would have liked to have been able to check out the rooftop bar but rainy night prevented that - would highly recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Was absolutely amazing!AmesDined on 4/5/2014Food was amazing cooked wonderfully and the plating was breathtaking. Loved the stone taste on the meats. The ambience is wonderful, an old house converted, very intimate, the detail was great. Just had an overall wonderful experience and was well worth every penny! Would go back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food , good serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/5/2014Great food , good service you will not be disappointed.Special Features:
- fantastic!firsttimerDined on 4/5/2014If you haven't tried Burwell's, you are missing out! Everything we ordered was delicious. The wait staff was second to none, and the owner was sure to make contact to ensure the experience was 5 star. The food was priced reasonably especially compared to those similar to it in close proximity!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not a good experiencenalanalaDined on 4/5/2014The restaurant was very overpriced and the quality of the "best" steaks were all very chewy. While the server knew her stuff the speed of service could have been better,particularly as we had an early booking.
- We ordered the crab cake toOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/4/2014We ordered the crab cake to start and it was excellent. Full of crab and not all breading. I ordered the filet mignon and you could cut it with a bread knife. Delicious. My husband ordered the salmon and said it was excellent. Our server Amanda was amazing. She helped us navigate through the menu with suggestions etc.. Our only negative was the noise level. We were seated in a small room with several large parties and the more drinks they had the louder they got. I would definitely recommend this restaurant to friends. On site valet parking was a plus for $4.00.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- For a place known for theSurfergirlVIPDined on 4/4/2014For a place known for the steaks, the steaks were a let down. Not bad, just not great. We were told a steak knife wasn't necessary because they were so tender. However, we found the steaks to be tough. The salads and sides were very good. If the steaks had lived up to the hype, it would have been an outstanding dining experience. The only reason I rated this place a 3 is due to the steaks. All other food was a 5. Service was very good. We found our waiter Alan to be very friendly and made some great suggestions.Special Features:
- outstanding customer servicehokie2011VIPDined on 3/29/2014I took my mom here when she was in town & everything was delicious! Her steak came out a little under-cooked for her liking (she likes it pretty much like boot leather haha) & we sent it back to cook more. It wasn't a big deal to us since we know most people don't like it that done. The owner came over later to apologize & make sure all was okay. Again, we assured him we were perfectly fine & all the food was amazing. The most surprising aspect of all this is that I received a voicemail a couple of days later to follow up on everything from our dinner. That to me says a lot about their level of service. I had already known that I would be back as I always have a great meal there, but taking the time to reach out like that sealed the deal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Burwell'smaggieDined on 3/29/2014My husband and I had visited Burwell's about 6 months ago and had a great dining experience at that time. So, when we visited Charleston again, I wanted to go back...They have great food, very good service and a fantastic atmosphere. We each had steak and they were delish. Just the right amount of food...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingRandRDined on 3/29/2014This was one of the best experiences me and my wife have had. We both loved our food and it exceeded expectations. This is definitely a must have and will be back the next time I am in Charleston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.