The Tasting Room
101 North Market Street
Frederick, MD 21701Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The Tasting Room
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thetastingroomrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2403797772
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 2:45pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Michael Tauraso
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: We have a private dining room that seats 6-10 guests. All private room requests will be granted on a first come, first serve basis and must be confirmed over the phone. Any requests for the private dining room made online are subject to availability.
- Private Party Contact: Jarrett Walsh 2403797772
A word from The Tasting Room
Established in 2001, The Tasting Room restaurant and wine bar has earned a reputation as a modern American force in the Frederick area. Combining the essence of Frederick and the modern styles of New York, The Tasting Room provides diners with an experience to remember. Situated in the heart of Frederick"s historic district, The Tasting Room captures the energy of Market St. with floor to ceiling windows and a 180˚ panoramic view. Fresh local ingredients and unwavering consistency have been the benchmarks for this ultra-successful Michael Tauraso establishment.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
The Tasting Room - Best Restaurants in Frederick ›
The Tasting Room reviews from OpenTable diners
125 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (78)special occasion (65)neighborhood gem (55)notable wine list (49)hot spot (37)great for lunch (33)romantic (26)vibrant bar scene (24)good for groups (18)late-night find (11)scenic view (9)great for brunch (3)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- CelebrationRLMcMakinDined on 8/5/2014We visited for the first time celebrating a birthday! All of our meals were outstanding !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BeachGuyBeachGuyDined on 8/4/2014Went here for new experience for anniversary dinner. Arrived for reservation and place was packed. Seated immediately, noisy but in a good way. Tables for couples were quite close but conversations with people around us actually helped make the night for food suggestions and comparison of other dining places. Food, great, pricey and different. Wine list rather lengthy and pricey but wine we selected was great. No problems with parking downtown. Would go back.Special Features:
- Wonderful lunchTGE10Dined on 8/4/2014They gave us a private room for our party of ten. That was really special, and we thought the lunch menu was great. Cauliflower soup, not creamed, was especially good as was the chocolate flourless cake for dessert. Several said the hamburgers were excellent and the site-made sorbet delicious.
- Service not on par with food.cedarVIPDined on 8/2/2014Scallop starter was delicious & perfectly cooked. Beef fillet was one of the very best I've ever had. Nice wine selections, too. This is a small place with tables too close together. With the wood floor, glass walls and nearby tables this is a very loud restaurant. It could be much enjoyable and even romantic with a few changes but it was crowded none the less. Service was not nearly as good as I was expecting and that was my biggest disappointment; it was more typical of a diner, IMHO. Our server seemed rushed setting utensils anywhere then turning to do the same at the next table. Our server seemed not to notice how loud the restaurant was and we hardly heard her. I would rather take out than eat in. Don't know when I'll go back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience!foodie28Dined on 8/2/2014Food was outstanding--two of us had the halibut, one the lamb, and one pasta. The portion sizes were perfect, and the presentation was beautiful. The service was consistent, courteous, and unobtrusive. A terrific night with friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pearl56Dined on 8/1/2014Generally you can't go wrong with Tasting Room. Expect a high noise level and on a busy night (like First Saturday) to have close seating. Our latest visit was generally good, though one of the party requested a side vegetable in exchange of the potatoes as she's gluten free, but got potatoes anyway. Unfortunately her filet mignon was also overcooked and had to go back. Halibut was moist and flavorful, but a tad on the salty side. Crab cakes were excellent, no filler and not over seasoned as some places tend to do them. Our server was very attentive but not intrusive and both he and the manager took care of the steak problem very quickly. The filet is always outstanding here, as is their treatment of rockfish, one of my favorites.Special Features:
- Wonderful Birthday Meal!FrederickfoodieDined on 8/1/2014I took my wife and mother-in-law to dinner for my wife's birthday! The meal was outstanding as was the service! Our waiter did a great job suggesting meals and wines that we all enjoyed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch to catch up with old friendsOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/1/2014We found the restaurant to be too noisy for talking. The a/c was particularly cold and the noise added to the general background. Service was good and not rushed which was appreciated since we were trying to catch up with old friends. For the most part, our party of 5 enjoyed the food with 3 of use very pleased with the food.Special Features:
- Excellent Food and Menu choicesLuvsgreatfoodDined on 7/29/2014The best premium flavorful crab cakes. Usually the best steaks around, but this visit the filet was slightly overlooked. Medium rare was more medium well, expensive mistake to make... The halibut was great and cooked perfect. The chocolate essence trio was so awesome. Very nice menu selections. The waiter should not rely totally on the bus person. Had to ask for more water and then wait longer than we should have since it was our only drinks. Clearing the table was messy. just take away the plates rather than take our dirty silverware off the plate and stack it with the other plates. Absolutely great food and atmosphere, lacking in smooth table cleanup and slow to check on customer needs in a timely manner.Special Features:
- Loud but DeliciousLennyBoBennyVIPDined on 7/29/2014I definitely wouldn't go here if you are looking for a quiet romantic spot. It's VERY loud. But all of the food was delicious. The service was a 10. It's like the servers and wait-staff are on ice skates dancing around the tables taking care of everyone. Pretty incredible. I highly recommend.Special Features:
- Noise drowned out good food.DsantlawrDined on 7/29/2014The happy hour crowd was so loud, the acoustics so bad, that although we were on the far side of the restaurant, it was painfully noisy. Not intimate or romantic at all. Food and service were very good but noise level takes this off my "can't wait to go back " list. What happened to adults using inside voices?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not typically what I order!PimentoDined on 7/26/2014Went with friends for husband's birthday. Foodie friend had read "Tom's" (Seitsma) review and shared that the beef/ steaks were the thing to order. Trusting her and feeling curious, I ordered the filet and was in utter heaven! :) Best piece of beef I have had in years. Waiter was quite nice, too. Small seating space for restaurateurs but food, drinks, and side dishes were excellent! Very enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top choice for night outOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/23/2014The tasting room is always one of our top choices for a night out. My favorite thing is the drink menu - the special drinks are very tasty! The food is excellent! Definitely a must for anyone looking for a great place for a date night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unfriendly servers and rushed foodFoodie52VIPDined on 7/21/2014We recently stopped at the Tasting Room for lunch and were expecting a nice dining experience. While the food was good, we were rushed--our meals arrived within 5 minutes of ordering them and while it good, it went exceptional . Having been to this restaurant several times before, I was surprised at the quality. The lettuce in my salad was wet, and my husband's shrimp and grits were not as good as he remembered. But the biggest problem was the staff. Apparently it is against their policy to smile. They were the snooty and unfriendly. I have dined at many fine restaurants, including this one, and I have never been in such an unfriendly environment. We will not dine there again.
- Fine DiningweajcaDined on 7/19/2014This is one of the finest restaurants in Frederick. It's a little noisy, but the food and service are outstanding. I've eaten here many times and have never been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- otts1935Dined on 7/19/2014Service was excellent. We were given a quiet table, as requested. Food was tasty but portions were on the small side relative to the pricey menu. Reservations recommended as the is a small restaurant. Tables close to each other.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- oscar1Dined on 7/19/2014The lobster chowder is awesome. Restaurant is a little "cramped" for a romantic "private" meal. 4 diners.....2 salmon, 1 haddock and 1 filet. All delicious....filet very slightly overchooked for medium rare but still tender and juicy. Our friends from out of town want a return visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MarcJrOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 7/18/2014One of our favorite restaurants. Always changing menu with great new choices. Great atmosphere for lunch or dinner.Special Features:
- This was great...DaveDined on 7/12/2014The Tasting Room simply defines fine dining. The service was superb and the food was done (in our opinion) to perfection. We felt relaxed throughout our meal and there was no hint of rushing. We will definitely return!Special Features:
- Good but not great ...hahaDined on 7/12/2014Given the price range, I was expecting a great meal. I don't think I will be visiting the restaurant again.
- seems better for lunch than dinnerlikefood1977Dined on 7/12/2014I saw the lunch menu and it looks better than dinner. We did dinner, which was expensive. the food was good but nothing I can't get at another restaurant with a better view. My husband got fish in a thai basil sauce that he really liked. I got the filet, which was very good, cooked to perfection (I order my steaks rare) but lacked flavor. The disappointing part was the wine list was so overpriced; and I usually like to have a couple of glasses with my meal, however on this occasion I only would have one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HollisterDined on 7/11/2014We beleive Tasting Room to have the best food in Frederick period ... not to mention an excellent wine list.No need to travel to Bethesda or DC for a great restaurant.Special Features:
- DelicioustheaterfanDined on 7/11/2014We love going to Frederick for a change of pace. The tasting room is a great find there! The food was delicious and the service was great! Parking is a breeze, too. Highlights for us on the menu were the summer salad, crab cakes and the filet. Can't wait to go back again!
- Great, as alwaysLeslieDined on 7/7/2014The Tasting Room has definitely become "my place" to go in Frederick. The food is always fantastic, but is on the pricey side. I would certainly recommend this as a go-to spot for special occasions.Special Features:
- Repeat customerNotaFoodieDined on 7/5/2014This is the second time I have been to the tasting room and both times I have not been disappointed . The food is wonderful , the filet 1st time the salmon 2 nd time . The wines are always great and the staff know their wine selection well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good but not greattrustmeDined on 7/5/2014The food is good and the service excellent. What lacks is excitement in the food. A little inventiveness would go along way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Salad and AppsLedgestoneDined on 7/5/2014I enjoyed the watermelon salad and the mussels. I wasn't crazy about the sausage in the mussels but still enjoyed it. It gets very loud in the restaurant, not the place for intimate conversation. The windows make people watching fun. Beautiful design and interesting drink options. I didn't try but everyone raved about the lobster mashed potatoes.Special Features:
- Always a PleasureLuvsFoodNotCookingDined on 7/5/2014Great for a date night or grown-ups night out. Food is excellent with lots of unique choices. Specialty drinks and martinis are always adventurous to try. Unique design and environment, more cosmopolitan than many restaurant choices in Frederick. Tough to get in on weekends, especially First Saturday, so we were amazed when we were able to get a same-day reservation through OpenTable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Get the brussel sprouts!phillyoneVIPDined on 7/4/2014Went for July 4th in Frederick and loved this place. Everything was amazing!Special Features:
- Best Restaurant in FrederickOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/27/2014Outstanding restaurant, will go again. The crab cakes were spot on. One of the best I have had so far in MD. The only complaint is the bar noise. We arrived around happy hour and it was extremely loud at times, but even with the noise we will probably stop again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 422 reviews are from the The Tasting Room reviews archive.
- An Internet Search WinnernomadDined on 6/26/2014We were planning to have a lunch with old friends elsewhere, but found they were closed for lunch on Thursdays. Found The Tasting Room on Frederick City website, and looked up reviews on Open Table - decided to book a reservation. The food selections looked ordinary on the menu, but were all quite a wonderful interesting surprise - difference sauces, garnishes, side dishes. Service impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing specialJustUsDined on 6/24/2014Our server, Susan, was great and the entrees were well-prepared. Especially liked the pork tenderloin. However, we found that the noisy atmosphere and crowded conditions detracted from our ability to enjoy the dining experience.
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/20/2014My husband and I have been here multiple times and The Tasting Room never disappoints. I rarely get the same thing twice at a restaurant and I ALWAYS get the lamb. My husband gets the filet and we're both happy. The service is always spot on. I personally think the food is better than Volt and much more affordableSpecial Features:
- GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/19/2014Excellent,food was very good, service was exceptionalSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experience on classicsUnchainedAdventuresVIPDined on 6/16/2014The Tasting Room does a beautiful job on some classic dishes. The filet was wonderful and cooked to perfectionand the accompanying potatoes au gratin where cheesy. The apple salad and amazing lobster bisque were a hit too. The ambiance for historic Fredeick is interesting... An urban loft feel in the center of town. Maybe a little too out of place but it's unique. A little suggestion... Since the location seems to be geared to special occasions little touches like the read should be warm when it ones out and a coffee service could be a single French Press... That's very impressive and smooths out a little bitterness. All in all a wonderful dining experience...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Father's Day dinnerFoodieDined on 6/14/2014My husband & I really enjoyed our meal here. We both had the Filet Mignon. The Brussels sprouts were delicious. It's really a small restaurant with tables very close together. Will definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Why did we wait so long?StevieBVIPDined on 6/13/2014Our first dinner at The Tasting Room, despite eating out in Frederick for years - too many good choices, will have us adding TTR to our rotation of favorites. Food, including gluten-free, selections are more interesting than most similar priced restaurants. Preparation, presentation and service were all above average making for a pleasurable meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- underwhelmingMag526Dined on 6/13/2014This restaurant came highly recommended and I must say that we were a bit underwhelmed. We had noted in our OT ressie that it was our anniversary. It would have been nice had the hostess or server said "happy anniversary". Nothing. There were no suggestions from the waiter. He was there to take our order and if we did ask a question he had great answers, but I would prefer being led through my dining experience at a restaurant of this level than to have to trudge my way through it. This probably sounds overly picky, but the experience is what makes me rate a restaurant with good food 5 stars instead of 3.Special Features:
- A must dine....BroccoliVIPDined on 6/13/2014My husband and I always enjoy our dining experience at The Wine Kitchen! The food (especially the Lamb Chops!) is ALWAYS good! And the drinks are quite delicious! It is on our restaurant rotation list, and it is a definite must try if you have not done so already. My only wish is that the tables be slightly further apart. Getting in and out of your seat sometimes proves to be quite challenging (as to not bump the table next to you), and I am a size 2!Special Features:
- 47th Anniversary DelightsavorflavorDined on 6/10/2014The Tasting Room is our go to place for special occasions and date nights. The ambiance and quality of food is unparalleled in Frederick. We highly recommend the crab dip and the unsurpassed filet Mignon. Pricey but worth every penny. Don't miss the outstanding cocktails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.