1330 S Fern St
Arlington, VA 22202Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.epicsmokehouse.com/
- Phone: 5713194001x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Thursday: 11:00am - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 11:00am - 10:30pm, Sunday: 11:00am - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Steakhouse, Barbecue
- Executive Chef: Wayne Halleran
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wine
- Catering: We cater private and company events.
A word from Epic Smokehouse
Epic Smokehouse is a modern upscale urban smokehouse, featuring smoke meats and fish with a large specialty cocktail and wine list.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Epic Smokehouse reviews from OpenTable diners
75 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (39)fit for foodies (25)great for lunch (21)good for groups (19)great for outdoor dining (9)hot spot (8)vibrant bar scene (7)great for brunch (7)late-night find (6)special occasion (6)notable wine list (3)kid-friendly (1)romantic (1)Show More
- Great Experience!!!RinkerDined on 4/25/2014This was our first experience at this restaurant. We have eaten all over the Arlington area and wanted to try something new. The reviews online looked good so we decided to give it a try, especially because the boy loves barbeque. When we arrived we immediately fell in love with the ambience. The service was also impeccable and the food was awesome!! I had the special and it was superb!! Also, when you go, you must try the bread pudding!! I know you may be full but save a little room. By far one of the most amazing desserts we have ever tasted!! Enjoy!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BBQ taste rebootedFattyMcGeeDined on 4/23/2014Did a work dinner here to meet some friends. Good service, tight quarters inside but not a major obstacle. Some interesting wines on the list, and intriguing liquor including a local rum. Excellent appetizers, good dinner options that improves upon and modernized the presentation of traditional BBQ. Desserts were excellent. My wife said it's the best key lime pie she has had in this region (she's picky). Bourbon bread pudding was great. We will definitely go back. Parking was easy too which was a bonus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It you love bacon....RieseycupDined on 4/11/2014...this is the place for you! The chefs at Epic know how to do bacon! Pancetta mac and cheese, bacon red velvet cake, and my favorite, the bacon app! I'll definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great RibsOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/10/2014Food is excellent. Booths in the bar are more comfortable than tables in the dining section. Somewhat noisy, but food is delicious, and service was outstandingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent findJVegas737VIPDined on 4/7/2014We dined here earlier this week while my fiance's father was in town. Our server was fantastic and very friendly. The food (we had two orders of the pulled pork and one brisket) was all great as well. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything was good, but notOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 4/6/2014Everything was good, but not spectacular. I'll still go backI would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, but bring a coat!SteverDined on 4/5/2014We had a group of 8 for a birthday reservation. The staff seated us immediately, which was very impressive for a Friday night. The downstairs bar area was very vibrant. We were taken to the upstairs section, which would be great for groups of any size. My two complaints were that it took over 15 minutes just to receive water, and then another 10 before bread came out. The second issue was the temperature in the restaurant. Twice, the server was asked about turning down the A/C, while other patrons were noticeably cold as well, and yet nothing was done. It's too bad b/c it was a great place to enjoy some great food, and good drinks!Special Features:
- Excellent food and atmosphereElleDined on 4/5/2014This was our second visit and we tried all different dishes: burnt ends appetizer, pulled pork platter, scallop special, short rib entrée. Everything was delicious. I really like that they have a limited menu of stuff they can do really well. I also love the corn bread muffins that come with the meal. We sat in the bar but the other part of the restaurant looks like it would be really romantic.Special Features:
- Epic used to have a happyNDEllenVIPDined on 4/2/2014Epic used to have a happy hour that started at 11 a.m. Mon-Fri, and they had great $5 glasses of wine at lunch, but "nobody was taking advantage of it," our waiter explained. So what's the harm in leaving it in place? Happy hour now starts at the more traditional 4 p.m. Chopped salad is outstanding. Shaved prime rib sandwich lunch special usually delicious but on this visit, seemed like 50% less meat on the sandwich and VERY fatty. Really disappointing. Hoping this visit was an anomaly and not a trend at Epic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tries really hardLadoodieVIPDined on 4/1/2014The idea was great. A traditional smokehouse, but with a modern twist like open kitchen, fine wine selection, a fish option for those who like their arteries unclogged and great service. So where did it go wrong? The menu was not well balanced and quite limited. For example no burgers, or baked potatoes. No killer deserts. No exciting sides. The French fries just would not come our crispy, even on our second order.
- Date NightribmanO6VIPDined on 3/15/2014We tried the pork belly appetizer, chopped salad, and pulled pork. The first to courses were up to par and enjoyable. But growing up near Memphis, I have to say, “Cumin does not belong in pulled pork.”Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday dinnerJackie3Dined on 3/9/2014Maybe because we went on a Sunday night, it was dead inside. My food was okay, my befriend loved his. His meat was really big more then half the size of the plate. So you get a big amount of food. I'm a vegetarian so my food was okay but not healthy at all.Special Features:
- Brilliant flavors with warm servicehistoryteacherDined on 3/3/2014I am a teacher and brought two exchange students and 3 of my American students to Washington, D.C. for a long weekend. We wanted our last night in the area to be amazing and then we found EPIC. The name is very fitting. The service was phenomenal, the food was amazing, and the atmosphere very friendly. My 5 students stood at the counter and were able to watch their food be prepared masterfully by the chefs in the kitchen. They loved it! They tried new flavor combinations they've tasted before and enjoyed every minute. The brisket is amazing and I've never had brussel sprouts with so much flavor. The chocolate cake is to die for! Wonderful place to dine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- over priced and over smoked.GeeeDined on 2/25/2014over priced and over smoked. 160.00 for 4 entrees -pulled por 2x pulled chicken and a portabello mushroom, 1 desert and one appetizer plus drinks. Got it, CC is expensive yet this was so not worth the money. the smoked pulled meat entrees were disappointing, small portion of meat burried under fried onions and fries. Chicken was over smoked to the point of unrecognizable type of meat. disappointed all around. by the way i own a smoker and am no stranger to the smoke flavor.
- Awesome menu and well runBaltoandyDined on 2/24/2014I ordered a simple dish (pulled pork) but it was outstanding. The menu was creative too with just enough that was different to make it unique. Loved the sushi bar style setup (watching the chefs at work). Well run shop, worth the visit and I'll return when I'm in the area. Good stuff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Repeat performance !ValerieDined on 2/22/2014This was my 2nd visit to Epic and again the food, service, and drinks were outstanding! Love the Berrytinis ! I came with my sister for a fun evening and we had a great time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing menu & service, Worth the $ElleDined on 2/21/2014Pros: Management was around checking on and accommodating guests. We had excellent service from our waiter who also gave great recommendations. The Bacon App appetizer was incredible. The duck was perfect on the special and the dirty rice was straight-up New Orleans in my mouth. The brisket was deliciously smoked and tender. Cons: Bar was busy so it took a while to get our tab, they needed more staff that evening I think. A bit noisy. The mac n cheese was good but it could be better. FYI: The BBQ sauce was spicy. Suggestion: Add a whiskey tasting flight to the menu.Special Features:
- Food was wonderful once againMattVIPDined on 2/15/2014I enjoy the food everytime I go here. The one small downside are the two person tables. They are a tad too long to carry on a decent conversation while others are around. Only a moot point compared to everything else.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good experience. SizeableFirstTimeBallerDined on 2/14/2014Very good experience. Sizeable portions prepared well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- V day diningmacmerkDined on 2/14/2014As always, service was impeccable and food consistently very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service!SharronDined on 2/14/2014The service was great. The food was really good. I would dine there again and recommend it to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chef needs a new homeIrishtiggerVIPDined on 2/14/2014The overall experience was FAIR but I would offer that the chef needs to find a new home. The location is nice, for a local spot, but the interior was an attempt at New York chic with LA habits. It was decorated well but too cramped for it to be a spot I would take the group regularly. It was the food that was the highlight. The ceasar salad was a treat and the brisket was some of the best I have had in awhile. The major issue was the service. It started off wrong with the host seeming annoyed that he had to deal with us rather than wanting the business. That just placed us in a fowl mood and no one was fixing it in our mind. Our server was friendly but did not know the menu nor the whiskey at the bar.
- ForgettableOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 2/8/2014I thought the food was just mediocre, nothing really special. My steak was undercooked and I had to send it back to the kitchen for a bit more doneness. The staff was friendly but the service was also kind of slow. One person at my table ordered a cocktail and the server never got around to bringing it. I don't see myself returning to this restaurant.
- Delish!!TheSpikeManComethDined on 2/6/2014Great food and great service with exceptional prices!!Special Features:
- Yes! Go for LunchCultureVultureDined on 2/6/2014The experience of dining for lunch at Epic for lunch was excellent, and let me say significantly more satisfactory than dinner. The service was friendly and very prompt. The portions were generous and served hot. And it seemed like an excellent value. The dining room was full, but the noise level was moderate, and the staff seemed prepared to handle the crowd. I am likely to return for lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food okay, but not spectacular.DianneDined on 1/27/2014Food okay, but not spectacular. Same for service. Likely will not return.
- Average at BestJsersDined on 1/25/2014The best I can say is it wasn't bad. The ribs were fairly meaty and well cooked but no favor at all.
- Great higher-end BBQ placefoodie451Dined on 1/25/2014It’s great finding a BBQ place that has the usual BBQ standards as well as great steaks and other elevated selections and specials with a more refined environment. The wine list was good and the service was terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glad I wentMorePleaseDined on 1/19/2014This brunch was a winner. $5 Mimosas were great also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Atmosphere and Food!Infiniteloop88Dined on 1/18/2014Made reservations here after coming up from Virginia Beach for a friends birthday. The waiter was very informative and prompt to the tables needs. The food had great flavor and came out promptly in a good portion size. Definitely going to stop by again.Special Features:
- All aroundikyrisDined on 1/16/2014The bacon app is one of the best appetizers I've ever had. The food was delicious and in great proportion, even enough to take some home (which we didnt expect at all). If you can make it to desert I strongly recommend the bread pudding, it was completely different than what I assumed it would be, but far exceeded my what I originally expected. The ambiance was great and you can even take a view of the head chefs while they prepare your meal. And while you're waiting for you meal, their specialty cocktails are worth the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and excellent service.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/16/2014Great food and excellent service. Staff super friendly. Wine and food prices very reasonable for the DMV area.
- Excellent and Epic FoodRichardDined on 1/5/2014The appetizers are outstanding - try the fried oysters and the pork rolls. The salmon entree and the sea bass entree were scrumptous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delight just 1mi from airportOpenDinerVIPDined on 1/4/2014Met an arriving passenger and went straight to our waiting table . Exciting 'smoke' menu -ribs, etc. And simpler American choices too. Dishes provided hot and promptly and good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Little SpotMeSoHungryDined on 12/31/2013Food is very good though not fantastic. The menu is limited but diverse. Very cool bar scene as well. Great place for couples.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First ImpressionsDECTRADined on 12/24/2013Being situated next to Costco, I didn't know what to expect from this place. Turns out, the food was spot on and the service was outstanding. I've been twice, both times it was as if I was the only person that mattered; the wait staff and even the GM came by to check on the food and to make sure my expectations were being met. The food is very well prepared. Portion sizes are good / leaning to 'large'. Steak was cooked perfectly, the bread pudding was very, very good. My only comment on the desert was that it was more of a 'two person' sized item; if I tried to eat that whole think I would probably explode.... In short, I'll be back here many, many more times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1st time visit won't be the lastGoodeatingDined on 12/21/2013Welcoming, friendly, helpful and knowledgeable staff in a very comfortable, low-key setting. Staff attentive without being intrusive. Interesting appetizers--my wife had the fried oysters which were very good; I had the appetizer special, called "Burnt Ends" which was excellent. We went with prime rib and the filet, both perfectly done to order and very tender and flavorful. A small but well-thought out wine list, and an excellent selection of bourbon. The manager stopped by and we had a good conversation with him, including his wine recommendations for our next visit. We were left with an overall impression of good attention to detail and successful execution of the menu. We look forward to working our way through the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The short rib sliders wereOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 12/20/2013The short rib sliders were fantastic. The prime rib was OK.
- Go for the grits at brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 12/19/2013I've been to this restaurant twice. The first time was for Saturday brunch and my entree (I can't recall what it was now) was served on the best grits ever. They are melt-in-your mouth wonderful and worth the visit. Then at a recent dinner the Burnt Ends (brisket ends in barbeque sauce) were a nice surprise -- that is, until I chewed through a chunk of fat on one of the pieces. I also had the pulled pork in a salad that was also very tasty. Unfortunately, the culinary excitement slows considerably after that. It also seems loud with bar and counter seating lining most of the room. I'll go back and try the happy hour which looks promising. I'd stick with the grids and other barbeque entrees and leave the salad and other entrees alone.Special Features:
- Excellent food, good valueECLambDined on 12/12/2013I'm lucky enough to live in the building above Epic Smokehouse, the temptation to eat there instead of cooking at home is powerful. Good food, decent prices, extremely friendly service. The smoke theme becomes almost gimmicky -- I tried the "bacon old fashioned," but will order the regular kind in future -- but the food is very good, the portions are generous, and I recommend it heartily.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.