6221 River Road
Richmond, VA 23229Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.azzurros.com/
- Phone: 8042821509
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30pm - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, Italian
- Executive Chef: Carlos Navarrette
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Delivery, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We offer off-site Catering Services as Weddings, Private Parties (Small and Large), Banquets, Rehearsal Dinners, Receptions, etc. We are a very flexible Catering service fully licensed. For more information on how we can make your event special, please call (804) 282-0880.
A word from Azzurro
Relaxed refinement, outstanding meals, and impeccable service blend to create unforgettable Italian dining at Azzurro. Whether seated on the softly-lit patio or inside near the comfort of a crackling fireplace, this award-winning restaurant embodies an elegant, yet warm, intimate ambiance. Here you will be greeted by a friendly, attentive staff eager to assist you with seating, menu selection, and an extensive wine list. Most important is our desire to provide an exceptional, memorable experience. Ranging from a casual luncheon to celebrating that most special occasion, Azzurro is the ideal choice.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Azzurro - Best Restaurants in Richmond ›
Azzurro reviews from OpenTable diners
121 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (71)great for outdoor dining (59)special occasion (53)fit for foodies (49)romantic (43)notable wine list (31)great for lunch (31)good for groups (28)great for brunch (25)hot spot (20)vibrant bar scene (17)late-night find (6)kid-friendly (4)scenic view (1)Show More
- cmmeachamDined on 7/27/2014The food was wonderful and very well served. It is a quiet and comfortable place to eat.Special Features:
- sonofachefDined on 7/25/2014I decided to order - "off menu". Simply described what I wanted, which was a lighter pasta dish than I could find on the menu. I asked them to prepare a pasta dish, maybe linguine, not too heavy, with some olive oil, scallions, garlic, a little fresh spinach, shrimp, white wine and some spices. The waiter had no problems, and once I put some fresh parmesan on it , it was perfect. Nice to have something like this place in Richmond (and not far from my home).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a good night.ZsaZsaDined on 7/21/2014We have dined at Azzurro's on many occasions. We were there to celebrate my birthday and I decided to order something different. I had a caesar salad and the Chicken Picata. I have had the salad before and it was not as good as usual. I did not like the chicken picata at all. It was swimming in a watery lemon sauce and the chicken was chewy and unappetizing. It was a disappointing birthday dinner.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/20/2014IT IS A PLEASANT RESTAURANT I LIKE THEY HAVE TABLE CLOTHS, BUT THE SERVICE WAS NOT GOOD. OUR WAITER HARDLY EVER CAME BACK TO THE TABLE TO SEE IF WE WANTED ANOTHER DRINK OR ANYTHING. I DID LEAVE A 20% TIP, BUT FELT IT WAS NOT A GOOD EXPERIENCE. THE FOOD WAS SOSO, NOT THE BEST. I ALWAYS GO BACK BECAUSE THEY HAVE REAL CLOTH NAPKINS AND IT"S A COMFORTABLE AND LOVELY PLACE.Special Features:
- Ordinary Italian foodLuv2dine2Dined on 7/19/2014We ate outside on a pleasant evening which was very nice. The waiter was very attentive as well. We had calamari for appetizer which was good but both the tartar and tomato dipping options were pretty basic. I had the scallops in linguine but the scallops were very bland and added nothing to the dish. My husband had seafood combo of scallops, mussels, clams and shrimp but apparently both the mussels and clams were the smallest he'd ever seen and the scallops uninteresting. Another in our party did have the soup special and the crab and avocado salad both of which she did like. Overall, it was nice being outdoors with good wine but the food should have been much better especially given the expense.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a wonderful experience.hunneybunDined on 7/19/2014The service was outstanding as well as our food choices and our request through "Open Table" was met. We were treated upon arrival as if we dined there at least once a week - very friendly. The secondary staff was equally as accommatating as our regular server and they were never far away to meet your request and remove finished plates. It is one of our favorite dining places and we highly recommend it and look forward to a return visit very soon.Special Features:
- July 11, 2014bruceDined on 7/11/2014Every thing good except the duck breast was tough.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 282 reviews are from the Azzurro reviews archive.
- Italian food in AmericaweedDined on 6/30/2014Best calamari I've enjoyed in Richmond. A few misspellings in the menu, but wonderful and authentic Italian food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stupendo!Luv2eatoutVIPDined on 6/21/2014Delicious, fresh, wonderful food in a beautiful atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday BrunchRVAfoodiesDined on 6/15/2014Brunch with the family on Father's Day. Everyone loved the food and we thought the brunch menu offered a variety of choices. Our server was friendly and attentive.Special Features:
- Superb Dining ExperienceItalianChic10Dined on 6/15/2014Have dined at Azzurro often; their food and staff have never disappointed. Staff is professional, knowledgeable about menu and dining atmosphere is impeccable with linen tablecloths used at all times. A real treat when we go. By the way, parking is not a problem either.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulTrippDined on 6/14/2014I took a special date there and was completely satisfied with the service, food, and ambiance. I will be back soonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/14/2014Been going here for many years and Wes and his staff are always 100% when it come s to product knowledge, service, and quality. Thanks for another enjoyable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great eveningSeafoodloverDined on 6/13/2014Staff did great job taking care of 5 Hungary guys -- food was awesome and wine spectacular!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OkBrowneyedgirlDined on 6/12/2014Food was good but not great. We had a reservation and were seated right next to the waitstaff station. Our server disappeared for about 30 minutes. This was the first time my husband and I had been in over 6 years. We aren't dying to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food Not Up to ParnewbieDined on 6/10/2014We were disappointed in our food. I ordered the special which was Mahi Mahi - it was very bland and the broccoli was overcooked and watery. My husband ordered Tre Scalini (a veal dish). The veal was not very tender. The beet salad was fine but at $13 very over priced. With entrees mostly in the mid to upper $20's, I think we should expect food at a higher quality. We were celebrating our anniversary and were disappointed.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/9/2014Excellent food. Nice ourside but very noisy inside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BarbVIPDined on 6/9/2014Terrific, everything was perfect. Can't wait to return.Special Features:
- Still our favorite!inmyeversohumbleopinionVIPDined on 6/9/2014Azzurro is still our favorite restaurant in Richmond. Nowhere else gives you great food, great drinks, great service, AND great atmosphere. They have the BEST staff too...they are friendly, attentive, knowledgeable, and hardworking. Azzurro is the perfect spot for any occasion.Special Features:
- Lovely RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/3/2014Quiet, friendly atmosphere; food was outstanding; enjoyed the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very lovely evening.betzinvaDined on 5/29/2014I was meeting two friends from college days We were seeking a great place to catch up, enjoy good food and wine, and spend a delightful evening. Azzurro met all our expectations. The service was very good, the menu selections were varied and creative, and the wine was delightful. We had a wonderful time creating new memories among gals that had been at Westhampton together, ahem, a number of years ago.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/23/2014I always love coming to Azzurro for a great meal particularly when it is an evening of celebration -- birthday, anniversary, etc. The mozzrella con proscuitto is a starter I can't wait to have every time I go. Every entree I have tried there through the years has been delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Mother's DayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014I took my 93 year old mother to Azzurro for brunch. She usually only eats a bite or two, but she ate her entire quiche and said it was the best she ever had! Elegant, friendly, enjoyable experience.Special Features:
- Very nice brunchrvadiner5Dined on 5/11/2014I usually dine at Azzurro for dinner, and it is wonderful. This was my first brunch experience, which we did for Mother's Day. The food was very good, and the service was good, though not as impeccable as during my multiple dinner time experiences. I had the eggs benedict with lump crabmeat, and a side of bacon.Special Features:
- good eatinOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/3/2014The food and atmosphere were great but the serfi e needs a little work because they kept getting our drinks wrongSpecial Features:
- DisappointmentOutAnAboutDined on 5/1/2014Brother from Indy, wanted to take him to nice place. Our oysters were the worst either one of us had ever had. Lamb chops ok, absolutely NO flavor/seasoning. Water glasses never refilled and the fish...no taste either. All hype and no service! Alot of money--should have stayed in the Fan. Will never go back.
- Our Favorite PlaceChristinaDined on 4/22/2014My mom lives in North Carolina and visits me often. When she comes, this is our favorite place to dine! We always get at least one special and we never leave unhappy!! Everyone is so nice and accommodating and the food is absolutely delicious!Special Features:
- BarneyDined on 4/21/2014What a wonderful place for a wonderful evening! Always friendly, and very good and consistent menu. Never had a bad experience during many, many visits over many years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The good and the badOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/20/2014Had salmon last Sunday that was excellent. The tiramisu, not so much. It was runny with too much chocolate and missing the rum
- Service was just terribleOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/20/2014Always been a favorite restaurant; but this Sunday brunch the service was really horrible. We had to remind the server about our drink order and, after an hour of waiting, had to have the manager check the kitchen for our food, which promptly came out. The food remains quite good; but, this service experience, may be a turn off!
- lovely outingSATIATEDDined on 4/20/2014came for brunch on a holiday weekend. service, drink, food and ambience were elegant. gave our small party the feeling we wanted, ie friendly but fine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food...dineRVADined on 4/19/2014Better Italian cuisine than most other Richmond restaurants. Good food, pleasant service. Popular place, so management has crammed tables everywhere. Avoid 2-tops along wall near bar. Very noisy, fine with a group of friends, but not good for a quiet or romantic evening.I would recommend this to a friend.
- great service and outstanding fooddivervonneDined on 4/19/2014Tables close together and noise level too high for our liking, but we overlook those due to excellent menu, specials, and service. Consistent great food but pricey.Special Features:
- Had a great timekannloweVIPDined on 4/19/2014First time visiting Azzuro, pleasantly surprised. Great food and service, portions are large, share an appetizer and/or salad. Service was good. Looking forward to visiting again.Special Features:
- Warm and invitingmunchingmomDined on 4/17/2014This was my first visit to Azzurro and was pleasantly surprised. I have been coming to Richmond for years and have never been overwhelmed with any one restaurant in the city, most are good to above average. (Coming from the Dc and Philly area can spoil you). However, Azzurro had a wonderful atmosphere, the menu had good italian choices and the preparation suited the Richmond palette. I had the chicken Palermo (enough for two meals) and of course had to try the eggplant rollatini which was tender and flavorful. I look forward to going back and trying other entrees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceJimSDined on 4/12/2014Azzurro has great food, an extensive wine list and excellent service. However, when the restaurant is full which is most evenings the noise level can be quite high. During the warmer months dining on the patio is available and noise is not an issue there. Overall I enjoy the dining experience at Azzuro and recommend it highly..Special Features:
- For any occasionHappyDined on 4/11/2014When looking for a one-of-a-kind place to celebrate anything (birthdays, holidays, anniversaries, Fridays), this is a wonderful option, and it never fails to please. The food is delicious, and regardless of the crowd size, it's possible to have a conversation without yelling. Love the table cloths and table settings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/5/2014I was a bit disappointed in the meal at Azzurro last weekend. The dish I ordered, Vitello Incappuciatta was heavy on the cream/cheese but light on flavor. The veal was cooked well, but the rest of the meal including the potatoes and broccoli was rather bland. My husband's meal was not as good as what we have come to expect from Azzurro either.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our go toLuv2eatDined on 4/5/2014Azzurro has been our go to restaurant for special occasions several years. Our last visit was to celebrate our 39th anniversary. We always have delicious food and service. Never dissappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We periodically dine at Azzurro'sOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/5/2014We periodically dine at Azzurro's and find the food and service to be quite commendable. The noise level, however, is a totally different issue. It is so loud that it is pretty much impossible to carry on a table conversation in a normal tone of voice and is the main reason we don't dine there more frequently.I would recommend this to a friend.