6221 River Road
Richmond, VA 23229Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.azzurros.com/
- Phone: 8042821509
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30pm - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, Italian
- Executive Chef: Carlos Navarrette
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Delivery, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We offer off-site Catering Services as Weddings, Private Parties (Small and Large), Banquets, Rehearsal Dinners, Receptions, etc. We are a very flexible Catering service fully licensed. For more information on how we can make your event special, please call (804) 282-0880.
A word from Azzurro
Relaxed refinement, outstanding meals, and impeccable service blend to create unforgettable Italian dining at Azzurro. Whether seated on the softly-lit patio or inside near the comfort of a crackling fireplace, this award-winning restaurant embodies an elegant, yet warm, intimate ambiance. Here you will be greeted by a friendly, attentive staff eager to assist you with seating, menu selection, and an extensive wine list. Most important is our desire to provide an exceptional, memorable experience. Ranging from a casual luncheon to celebrating that most special occasion, Azzurro is the ideal choice.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Azzurro - Best Restaurants in Richmond ›
Azzurro reviews from OpenTable diners
114 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (59)neighborhood gem (59)great for outdoor dining (54)romantic (47)fit for foodies (45)notable wine list (32)great for lunch (32)great for brunch (27)good for groups (20)hot spot (11)vibrant bar scene (9)late-night find (6)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- Lovely RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/3/2014Quiet, friendly atmosphere; food was outstanding; enjoyed the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very lovely evening.betzinvaDined on 5/29/2014I was meeting two friends from college days We were seeking a great place to catch up, enjoy good food and wine, and spend a delightful evening. Azzurro met all our expectations. The service was very good, the menu selections were varied and creative, and the wine was delightful. We had a wonderful time creating new memories among gals that had been at Westhampton together, ahem, a number of years ago.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/23/2014I always love coming to Azzurro for a great meal particularly when it is an evening of celebration -- birthday, anniversary, etc. The mozzrella con proscuitto is a starter I can't wait to have every time I go. Every entree I have tried there through the years has been delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 267 reviews are from the Azzurro reviews archive.
- Great Mother's DayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014I took my 93 year old mother to Azzurro for brunch. She usually only eats a bite or two, but she ate her entire quiche and said it was the best she ever had! Elegant, friendly, enjoyable experience.Special Features:
- Very nice brunchrvadiner5Dined on 5/11/2014I usually dine at Azzurro for dinner, and it is wonderful. This was my first brunch experience, which we did for Mother's Day. The food was very good, and the service was good, though not as impeccable as during my multiple dinner time experiences. I had the eggs benedict with lump crabmeat, and a side of bacon.Special Features:
- good eatinOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/3/2014The food and atmosphere were great but the serfi e needs a little work because they kept getting our drinks wrongSpecial Features:
- DisappointmentOutAnAboutDined on 5/1/2014Brother from Indy, wanted to take him to nice place. Our oysters were the worst either one of us had ever had. Lamb chops ok, absolutely NO flavor/seasoning. Water glasses never refilled and the fish...no taste either. All hype and no service! Alot of money--should have stayed in the Fan. Will never go back.
- Our Favorite PlaceChristinaDined on 4/22/2014My mom lives in North Carolina and visits me often. When she comes, this is our favorite place to dine! We always get at least one special and we never leave unhappy!! Everyone is so nice and accommodating and the food is absolutely delicious!Special Features:
- BarneyDined on 4/21/2014What a wonderful place for a wonderful evening! Always friendly, and very good and consistent menu. Never had a bad experience during many, many visits over many years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The good and the badOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/20/2014Had salmon last Sunday that was excellent. The tiramisu, not so much. It was runny with too much chocolate and missing the rum
- Service was just terribleOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/20/2014Always been a favorite restaurant; but this Sunday brunch the service was really horrible. We had to remind the server about our drink order and, after an hour of waiting, had to have the manager check the kitchen for our food, which promptly came out. The food remains quite good; but, this service experience, may be a turn off!
- lovely outingSATIATEDDined on 4/20/2014came for brunch on a holiday weekend. service, drink, food and ambience were elegant. gave our small party the feeling we wanted, ie friendly but fine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food...dineRVADined on 4/19/2014Better Italian cuisine than most other Richmond restaurants. Good food, pleasant service. Popular place, so management has crammed tables everywhere. Avoid 2-tops along wall near bar. Very noisy, fine with a group of friends, but not good for a quiet or romantic evening.I would recommend this to a friend.
- great service and outstanding fooddivervonneDined on 4/19/2014Tables close together and noise level too high for our liking, but we overlook those due to excellent menu, specials, and service. Consistent great food but pricey.Special Features:
- Had a great timekannloweVIPDined on 4/19/2014First time visiting Azzuro, pleasantly surprised. Great food and service, portions are large, share an appetizer and/or salad. Service was good. Looking forward to visiting again.Special Features:
- Warm and invitingmunchingmomDined on 4/17/2014This was my first visit to Azzurro and was pleasantly surprised. I have been coming to Richmond for years and have never been overwhelmed with any one restaurant in the city, most are good to above average. (Coming from the Dc and Philly area can spoil you). However, Azzurro had a wonderful atmosphere, the menu had good italian choices and the preparation suited the Richmond palette. I had the chicken Palermo (enough for two meals) and of course had to try the eggplant rollatini which was tender and flavorful. I look forward to going back and trying other entrees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceJimSDined on 4/12/2014Azzurro has great food, an extensive wine list and excellent service. However, when the restaurant is full which is most evenings the noise level can be quite high. During the warmer months dining on the patio is available and noise is not an issue there. Overall I enjoy the dining experience at Azzuro and recommend it highly..Special Features:
- For any occasionHappyDined on 4/11/2014When looking for a one-of-a-kind place to celebrate anything (birthdays, holidays, anniversaries, Fridays), this is a wonderful option, and it never fails to please. The food is delicious, and regardless of the crowd size, it's possible to have a conversation without yelling. Love the table cloths and table settings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/5/2014I was a bit disappointed in the meal at Azzurro last weekend. The dish I ordered, Vitello Incappuciatta was heavy on the cream/cheese but light on flavor. The veal was cooked well, but the rest of the meal including the potatoes and broccoli was rather bland. My husband's meal was not as good as what we have come to expect from Azzurro either.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our go toLuv2eatDined on 4/5/2014Azzurro has been our go to restaurant for special occasions several years. Our last visit was to celebrate our 39th anniversary. We always have delicious food and service. Never dissappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We periodically dine at Azzurro'sOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/5/2014We periodically dine at Azzurro's and find the food and service to be quite commendable. The noise level, however, is a totally different issue. It is so loud that it is pretty much impossible to carry on a table conversation in a normal tone of voice and is the main reason we don't dine there more frequently.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty good; not amazingDurhamiteDined on 4/4/2014Fresh fruit appetizer was delicious; wine was quite good. Linguine Pescatore … not so much. Skip the after dinner coffee and hit Starbucks (across the street); the coffee had that "old drip-brew" taste to it. I'd go back - and just order something else. The linguine could have been very good, except that the shellfish were overcooked. The mussels and clams were very tough and leathery. The sauce wasn't quite my favorite, but was still good. Based on this, I'm guessing that, if you stick to beef/pork/veggie dishes (more forgiving when overcooked), you'll do quite well and Azzurro can live up to its reputation; just not the shellfish. And again: enjoy the wine, but skip the coffee; for $3+ for a regular cup, it was not really worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ambience and food!SpecialLunchDateDined on 4/3/2014The service was very prompt. All restaurant employees worked as a team to make it a special dining experience. The food was prepared with attention and was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent in every respect,frequentdinerVIPDined on 3/30/2014Excellent in every respect, as always. A table next to the fireplace was especially nice on this chilly and damp evening.I would recommend this to a friend.
- A pleasant eveningJohnnibDined on 3/29/2014We were seated promptly and our drink order was taken quickly but not served quite so promptly. The food was good and as we have eaten there before we will eat there again. A fine neighborhood establishment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always goodWillarmDined on 3/28/2014As an out of town visitor, I have been dining at Azzurro for 7 years, and it is always reliable and consistently good. A bit noisy, and space is tight, but food and service never disappoints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy and food was so-soCristDined on 3/22/2014Our table was ready when we arrived (9PM) but things went downhill from there. The restaurant was so noisy that we had to almost shout to be heard--up till departure at 11. Food was nothing to write home about--and my wife had a "special" that she didn't finish. We took it home and I tried it and saw why she didn't finish it. The only thing special was special for the restaurant--there was so much rice the food cost had to be lowl We had to wait a long time between ordering and appetizers and longer still before the main course--and even longer to get the bill. All in all, Richmond has much better places to eat and enjoy.
- Good and badOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/21/2014The entrees we selected were outstanding and not very good. The shrimp gazpacho appetizer was great. The Tortellini Azzuro was superb. Unfortunately, one of the dinner specials that evening (pasta with tomatoes, shrimp, and goat cheese) was awful. The shrimp were overcooked, the goat cheese was overwhelming, and the sauce too thick, sticky, and bland.Special Features:
- Fresh!KatieDined on 3/20/2014We stayed almost 3 hours at lunch and the staff were not a bit impatient. The bread was excellent, as were our salads, the lobster roll, and the frittata. The dessert!! YUM!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingGingerDined on 3/17/2014This is the second time I have been to Azzurro and both times it has been amazing. The flavors and freshness of the food is amazing. The staff really knows their wine list and are always so helpful. I will definitely go back again and again and again.Special Features:
- WonderfulRobertODined on 3/16/2014Had brunch with my girlfriend here. We were seated at a nice little two top; big enough to hold our food and drinks comfortably as we ate. Staff was extremely polite and quick to greet us! Food, service, and overall the whole experience, was great. Will definitely come back to 'wine and dine!'Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food fantastic, noise level LOUD2ndtimeDined on 3/15/2014The restaurant was very quaint and the food delicious(though the pizza was a little over cooked). The problem was the noise level. There were 5 of us and the person on the end could not hear the conversation at the table. Nor could you hear the person across from you. Probably would not go again with a large crowd. There real isn't much you can do about noise level, but this was a huge bummer. I will know this for next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic setting with excellentDolphVIPDined on 3/12/2014Fantastic setting with excellent food and service. Very enjoyable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- West End SpotQinTDined on 3/10/2014This is a very dependable restaurant for location, parking, good food and great service. The wine list and quality is excellent but some cocktails are too expensive. Atmosphere is cozy and attractive with excellent table service.Special Features:
- Nothing specialAmybrunchDined on 3/9/2014We went for brunch. Our waiter wasn't very friendly or attentive and seem didn't happy to be there. The food was ok, nothing special. We asked the waiter if we could order off the lunch menu but he wasn't very receptive to that. We probably wont go back anytime soon.
- Date NightDiningRN8Dined on 3/8/2014My husband and I recently had a baby. We have not been able to have a romantic dinner date since before the birth of our daughter. A month before her arrival we had eaten at Azzurro with a group of friends. I remembered the food and service being excellent. I was very impressed & have been raving over the food for the last 2+ months. So, it was an obvious choice to return. I was impressed with how simple it was to make an online reservation. Our server, I believe his name was Brad, was very friendly, attentive and helpful. The food was outstanding! The mozzarella app. was fresh and delicious. I ordered the Zachetti Di Pere. This is probably one of my all time favorite dishes. My husband ordered Veal Tre Scalini and was also very happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- taste of italyOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 3/7/2014Azzurro is one of those consistent restaurants that you know will always be excellent. Table of 4 exactly where we always eat. Service was exceptional attention to detail when water or bread was needed. Pasta done correctly and one of us walking in and seeing the brick oven had to have a pizza!!! Love this place for food and service. Ordered a meal that is usually with shrimp and chef substituted due to shellfish allergy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Azzurro's is consistentlyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/7/2014Azzurro's is consistently good and everyone always helpful. We love dining there. We live in Midlothian Va now so it is a little bit further from we previously lived but we make it a point to dine there when we can.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 3/6/2014Azzurro is a Richmond gem:). The staff is attentive and courteous; even the owner was hands on and conversive. Kudos!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EXCELLENT Dinner!Jen555Dined on 3/1/2014I found this restaurant on Google after searching forever. Great place. The food was wonderful. We are from out of town looking for dinner for a special occasion. Would definitely frequent if I lived in the area. Try the Cheesecake. It is not a piece of flavored cream cheese like most. It was light and fluffy made with ricotta, cranberry and amaretto! AMAZING!!!!!!Special Features: