71 Union Street
Newton, MA 02459Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.farmsteadtable.com/
- Phone: 6179286000x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch served Tuesday-Friday, 11-3
Brunch on Saturday, 11-3
Brunch on Sunday, 10-3
Dinner Tuesday-Thursday and Sunday 5-9
open until 10 on Friday and Saturday
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Chad Burns
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Full Bar
- Special Events: please contact Ericka Curley, email@example.com
A word from Farmstead Table
Opened in 2012, Farmstead Table blends French technique and new world innovation in a classic American country kitchen. Inspired by local farmers, our culinary team believes that fresh and pure ingredients don’t need too much tinkering and can speak for themselves. The innovative food is complemented by lively cocktails, domestic craft brews, and finely curated wines. A soothing design and intimate dining area provide a relaxed feel, while our staff delivers polished, yet approachable service. We are dedicated to being actively involved our community, contributing sustainable, responsibly sourced product and knowledge, and in doing so, establishing ourselves as a place for its members to gather.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Farmstead Table - Best Restaurants in Newton ›
Farmstead Table reviews from OpenTable diners
165 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (115)fit for foodies (110)great for lunch (44)great for brunch (36)special occasion (28)romantic (21)great for outdoor dining (11)notable wine list (11)kid-friendly (8)good for groups (6)hot spot (5)scenic view (2)late-night find (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Great Brunch!KimnVIPDined on 4/20/2014Wife and I had Easter brunch here and it was perfect. Who knew sausage, eggs, potatoes and toast could be elevated to such perfection--and for about $15! Started with the best tomato bisque we've had in years and finished with an excellent dessert. Plan to return again (and again).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Fresh FoodhappydinerDined on 4/18/2014Loved the food from app to dessert. I had the Trout and Husband had the Veggie entre -- both fresh and cooked perfectly. Tables are somewhat close together, but great food makes up for lack of elbow room. One diner had a medical emergency while we were dining and you never would have known as the staff kept customers and scene calm.Special Features:
- Lunch at FarmsteadOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/18/2014I had a delicious lunch with 3 friends the other day at Farmstead. The lunch menu was terrific, many great choices. I decided on a kale salad with feta cheese, cranberries and duck breast. It was fabulous. All my friends had the special which was trout, they all raved about it. The bread they serve is a spelt bread that was so good. The service was excellent. Will definitely go back again.Special Features:
- Good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 4/17/2014It was a little noisy for us, but we loved the food and thought the service was excellent, as well. A great restaurant in which to celebrate.
- Superb!VegloveDined on 4/13/2014Wonderful service and superb food! Lots of fresh veggies and creative pairings. This place is a must and an easy subway ride if visiting Boston!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tasty, fresh, local gemJBtableVIPDined on 4/11/2014salads always change with the season and always very good and creative. Vegetables sides always something new and tasty. entrees very good (beef and trout). great service, small restaurant, nice & simple, adult atmosphere. unfortunately, no espresso; just coffee.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best restaurant in NewtonFrenchtoastVIPDined on 4/11/2014I considered not writing this review, knowing it might hurt my chances at a reservation, but could not help myself. Simply put, Farmstead Table is the best restaurant in Newton. The menu is more creative than the competition, and presents diners more of a variety week-to-week. If you are looking for great food in a nice, unpretentious atmosphere, this is it. We recently had roast hen and salmon, and both were wonderful. The wine list is excellent, and they even have a nice range of microbrews that match the food well. The restaurant is directly across from the T, so easy to come to from Brookline and Boston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I was expecting so much morejjhmolbioDined on 4/9/2014We went last night for my big birthday. I had requested a romantic table - they offerred me this little table near the door that was too tight for us- when other bigger tables were available. We asked to sit at the bigger table in the back since it was my birthday- which I told the hotess- much better. The food was ok- the game hen was dry and the veggies bland. The morrel mushrooms were definitely reconstituted and the fish seemed to have been previously frozen. The mushroom app was really good- and the drinks were great. We were the last table left and were talking to our server- who was great- about my birthday- and he said he wished someone had told him. I would have liked a happy birthday or something....Special Features:
- Enjoyed the swordfish special.OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/9/2014Enjoyed the swordfish special. Tables are very close together.Special Features:
- neighborhood treatMimsVIPDined on 4/9/2014I love this place for its casual comfortable vibe and really good comfort food. The bread is great, fritatta,salads, soups so good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Finally got inhistoryandfoodloverDined on 4/6/2014As a Newton resident I have passed this restaurant many times noticing that it is full. I then tried to get in at a logical hour via Open Table several times, all without luck, until Sunday. Now I know why it is always full. Because it is wonderful. Had the lamb chop with just enough vegetables to make a filling, but not overstuffed, meal and a bib lettuce salad with a very light and delicious dressing. Clever but not overdone decor. Delicious experience all around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Farmstead Table is wonderfulNewtonfoodieDined on 4/6/2014What a great restaurant--always enjoy this lovely neighborhood place--chef is very accommodating, staff friendly and the food is consistently interesting and perfectly prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We really enjoyed brunch atchrisDined on 4/6/2014We really enjoyed brunch at this restaurant. It is really small so definitely has "city style" seatting where you are very close to the table next to you. We were seated at a table for 4 although there were only 2 of us, so it gave us a little bit of a privacy buffer. The food was very good. Our server was attentive but not disruptive. I would love to try it for dinner sometime.Special Features:
- Best Restaurant- Gem in Newton!ETPhillipsVIPDined on 4/5/2014Why go into Boston when yo have such an amazing restaurant in Newton! The food is wonderful. We do go often and usually get the fish, but have had the beef and lamb and love that as well. The wine list is rich and tasty. The desserts incredibly creative and tasty. The staff is gret and make you feel you are coming to their home for dinner. This is the best restaurant we have ever been to. Very highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great newton center resource!VisitorfrombostonDined on 4/3/2014Wonderful, simple, fresh food served carefully but plainly. The focus is the food. Delicious seasonal drinks, menu changes daily-- just a good spot to enjoy a nice meal.Special Features:
- Had a great dinner here withtreatsnsnoozinVIPDined on 3/30/2014Had a great dinner here with my family this weekend. Food was great all around. We all had different dishes and everyone was pleased. Entrees took quite a bit of time to come out, but it was also nice not to be rushed and considering the quality of presentation and taste I'd say it was worth it! Look forward to returning.Special Features:
- Excellent Food, Excellent ServiceYoniGVIPDined on 3/30/2014I've been here many times for brunch, lunch, and dinner. Never disappointed. Food is fresh, delicious, imaginative!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sophisticated Simplicity - a PearlDinewithfriendsDined on 3/30/2014Recommended by a friend a year ago - I am a fan! The small bar is perfect for a mid-evening dinner and drink. Brunch is superb. This chef owned restaurant has a wait staff that is friendly, professional and provides a hometown experience. The menu is fresh, presentation is always eye pleasing and the food experience is top shelf. Sophisticated simplicity.Special Features:
- Great Food, Friendly PlaceMsDineoutalotDined on 3/27/2014This was a great meal. We had the impression the chef truly enjoys their work - creating some very original combinations of ingredients with delightful results. All of our food was fresh and perfectly prepared. Although I rated Farmstead as "Fit for Foodies" I should add that it is totally unpretentious. Our 12 year old goddaughter was with us and was as welcome as we were (and enjoyed her dinner as much as we did ours). Although it is a small restaurant I really appreciate that they don't cram the tables "elbow to elbow" like other places we've been to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful farm to table in NewtonOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 3/27/2014Met a friend here for lunch--a nice buzzing atmosphere mostly tables of 2 enjoying lunch together at this bright and fresh restaurant. Great menu options with something for everyone--a vegetarian, a fish, a meat and many chicken choices. Home baked bread and butter to start was delicious. Love that even the salad with the soup-salad-popover special changes too. All in all a terrific placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful for lunchjaneDined on 3/27/2014the service was the best, food creative, delicious and the dessert even better. the carmel dessert was the best dessert i ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great BurgerHowieSSVIPDined on 3/25/2014Farmstead is a quaint place with a small menu but great burgers.Special Features:
- Great hidden gemMP200Dined on 3/22/2014This was our first visit on a Saturday night. The service was friendly and attentive from beginning to end. Great ambiance, wine list and the food was delicious. We loved the décor and neighborhood feel. It is not an extensive menu but has something for everyone's taste. You could taste and appreciate the freshness of the ingredients and care in preparation. We will be back again and again. This is one of the better restaurant experiences we've had in a while.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Superb mealredsoxpreambleDined on 3/21/2014We brought my sister in law.. a true foodie from out of town and a magnificent cook herself. She loved the meal. The roasted carrot soup with pistachios was the best carrot soup I have ever had. I had the bass on a potato puree with parsnips was terrific... the bass was cooked in a wonderful sauce that gave it wonderful flavor... not fishy at all. Because they stress fresh and organic the vegie dish was wonderful. Lots of "mmmmmmms" at our table. The home made macaroon (they told me everything is made from scratch at the restaurant) desert was also delicious. Better than Henrietta's table and Blue Ginger --thus my "outstanding" rating. We had the verdicchio wine.. I never see that on a wine list and it is my favorite Italian white.Special Features:
- 3rd visit was VERY DisappointingDianeVIPDined on 3/21/2014I have eaten at Farmstead Table twice before in the middle of the week for dinner and enjoyed the food and service and recommended that my friend come with me and give it a try. This recent experience with her at 8:15 on a Friday night was very disappointing. The service was just TERRIBLE and my Lamb Porterhouse Chop with barley and vegetables was cooked to order, medium rare, but was tasteless. Even a little salt didn't perk up the flavor of the chop or vegetables.
- Excellent foodBarbSVIPDined on 3/18/2014I think that farmstead is consistently delicious and amazing. The food preparation is inventive. The food is fresh and delicious. I look forward to my next meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazing foodwendyjVIPDined on 3/13/2014I went with no expectations even tho i had heard some great reviews and was blown away by the quality of all of the food - had the braised mushrooms and an pretty sure they were some of the best i have ever had - altho all of the food was great -Special Features:
- Anniversary BlissLKL1Dined on 3/12/2014We celebrated our 20th over incredibly fresh food and engaging service.Special Features:
- We just moved to the neighborhoodTrelstadDined on 3/11/2014We just moved to the neighborhood and are so thrilled to have found this wonderful restaurant. The food is always thoughtful and delicious. I have also been surprised by the wine list on more than one occasion. Service is always polite and knowledgeable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bright and freshwestcorkyDined on 3/9/2014Bright and fresh, innovative, surprising and familiar all at once -- really a charming place, some wonderful food, very pleasingly presented. The sophisticated but not unctuous kitchen is on its toes. HOWEVER! The management needs to step up in front of house. Mysterious lapses here. It feels like a couple of kids running the place while the parents aren't home. NO sense of genuine management, or management strategy, though the servers are all friendly and well-meaning. If front of house cannot develop a center of gravity, this lovely little place cannot succeed in the long run.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect!TrinityDined on 3/9/2014The ambiance and the preparation and presentation of the food was fabulous. Brunch offerings were perfect. The croissants were to die for! Loved the clever touches...the menu on a cedar shingle as well as the bill in a pint-size fruit basket!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice menu selectionsOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/7/2014Very nice menu selections of unique eclectic offerings. Nice wine offerings as well.Special Features:
- Had lunch there. Good foodDonnaVIPDined on 3/4/2014Had lunch there. Good food but very few choices. Wished there were more options.
- Terrific brunchRebeccaVIPDined on 3/2/2014Farmstead Table is a lovely neighborhood gem, definitely fit for foodies. It has a short menu but everything we tried was delicious -- the trout special, veggie bowl with yummy homemade toast, the burger, salad, coffee. All organic and locally sourced when possible. Looking forward to trying them for dinner soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not horrible, not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 3/1/2014We were expecting more. Went at 9:15 on a Saturday night, servers seemed tired and cranky. Chardonnay by the glass was very good, and also the feta spread. Carmelized onion and lentil soup was incredibly salty, which overwhelmed all the other flavors and made it difficult to eat. Great idea, not great execution. The steak and the swordfish were perfectly prepared-- melt in your mouth fantastic. But the rest of the food on each plate was just not great. Very confusing how a place called farm table could mess up vegetables. And again, all the veggies had way too much salt. And we are people who love salt! Bread pudding and coffee at the end were good. Maybe it was an off night, but I'm not inclined to go again and wouldn't recommend it.
- Fabulous foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/26/2014All 3 of us had the Halibut special, and it was fabulous. We ordered a roasted cauliflower to share, and it was memorable. The waitress was very helpful with my wine selection and after a tasting, chose something different than what I had first thought I'd like. The waitress was a little pushy in what seemed like an attempt to have us order more food. At $60 per person, plus tip, we ordered plenty, thank you. I'd go back - once I've saved up enough $.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business / Social meetingKRKDDined on 2/26/2014Great, locally sourced food with vegetarian and carne options. The soup of the day is always good, and the service is excellent while not over bearing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was disappointingCambridgeMomDined on 2/25/2014My husband and I have been looking forward to dining at Farmstead Table for a long time. We left very underwhelmed. The charcuterie plate was a mix of flavors that do not go well together -- goat cheese, kalamata olives, honey, jalapeno pepers, etc. The only meats were a bland paté and dried salami. Such a disappointment as we LOVE charcuterie plates and have had some lovely ones in the Boston-area. We also ordered a small plate of roasted cauliflower which seemed dry and overcooked. For entrees husband had the braised meat of the day -- braised lamb. It lacked flavor and seemed very fatty. I had the halibut which was good, but not remarkable. We decided to skip dessert. The best thing about this restaurant is its close proximity to the T.Special Features:
- Excellent DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/25/2014Delicious Cocktails. Food perfectly cooked and perfectly seasoned. Everything including the service was delightful. A great find and will be sure to return soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous foodSoniaDined on 2/22/2014Fabulous food, large portions, excellent ingredients, simple hip modern decor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.