Le Lyonnais Restaurant
416 Great Rd
Acton, MA 01720Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
Le Lyonnais Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://lelyonnaisacton.com/
- Phone: 9782639068
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Wednesday and Thursday: 11:30am - 1:45pm (Any day for party of 6 or more); Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm, Friday and Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, French
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Full Bar, Private Room, Takeout
A word from Le Lyonnais Restaurant
Chef Gerard's cuisine reflects the natural setting of Le Lyonnais Restaurant. Dine in the comfort of our home, or by the windows overlooking the brook which is frequented by ducks heron and other wildlife. Choose from the many creations that float from the traditional to the modern "aromatise" by "les herbes du jardin." Your hosts will be Gerard and Joan who have been operating Le Lyonnais since 1971.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Le Lyonnais Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
13 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelQuiet
romantic (10)special occasion (7)fit for foodies (7)neighborhood gem (5)scenic view (4)notable wine list (4)good for groups (3)great for lunch (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Excellent French DinnerNeuroscientistVIPDined on 12/31/2013This was our first visit to Le Lyonnais, where we went for New Years' dinner. The restaurant was outstanding. I had rabbit and quail, which was outstanding. My wife had salmon, which was equally good. The waiter recommended a wine to go with the dishes, and picked excellently. We will be coming back!Special Features:
- A neighborhood surpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/13/2013We live only five minutes from this restaurant but over more than 26 years we had gone there only once, for dessert. SO, we decided to give it a try on a Friday evening when we did not want to drive far. We were pleasantly surprised by the overall experience. Friendly people, good food and nice ambience.Special Features:
- Good parking. Easy to getDiDiTuTuVIPDined on 12/7/2013Good parking. Easy to get to from suburbs. Food delicious. Never had mozzarella and tomatoes with deviled eggs. It was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bit of France in ActonRichPDined on 11/23/2013If youve ever been to Lyon (gastronomic center of France) you will appreciate this place. A little French ambiance, a menu with a French flare, food well prepared - at reasonable prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good french food. ServicedswartzDined on 11/1/2013Good french food. Service was slow, but that was expected. The desserts were outstanding (berry mousse and fruit filled crepes).Special Features:
- ArtistrymikeDined on 10/24/2013Each course,each dish was superb. Well known dishes were experienced as novel, exploring new areas of taste,flavor.Special Features:
- Not so special dinnerDISAPPOINTEDDined on 10/12/2013When we made our reservation we noted we would be celebrating our anniversary. When we arrived there was no acknowledgment we were celebrating anything let alone that we actually had a reservation! The restaurant was severely understaffed, we only saw 3 wait staff for the entire restaurant. We waited to be seated at our table, we waited for the menus, we waited for our drink orders to be taken, we waited for our drinks, we waited for our appetizer order to be taken, we waited for bread, we waited for our appetizers to be delivered to the table, we waited for someone to take our dinner orders, etc. We were there almost 3 hours & the experience was neither tasty or enjoyable. Would not recommend to out-of towners or locals!
- I have been going there forPatMDined on 10/12/2013I have been going there for 40 years. The restaurant has been open for 41 years. The Owner and Chef Gerard and his wife Joan make you feel you are in their home. In fact you are. It is an old house with many small quite romantic rooms. In Fact it is their home as they live upstairs. It comapres with the best French cooking I have had any wherein the world incliding France. When I was in Corporate America it is whre I would take my important customers. Their food is reasoably prices and the service 5 star. The sertver we had the last time as been working there for 22 years. That in it's self says something..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bit disappointingMaryDined on 10/11/2013This is our second time at Le Lyonnais. I had a middle of the road impression the first time and, unfortunately, a similar impression the second time. I do like the warm ambience and friendly staff, but I can't say I'm terribly impressed with the food nor the very slow service. We'd requested our bill and a to-go box and neither arrived until 30 minutes later. There were 6 tables with customers and 2 waitstaff so I'm not sure why it took so long. We gave it a second shot and I don't think we'll be going there again. It's unfortunate because we don't have a lot of options in the Acton area.
- Romantic DinnerRetiredEngineerDined on 10/3/2013My wife and I enjoyed a wonderful dinner at Le Lyonnais to celebrate our wedding anniversary. The food was excellent as usual and we saved room for desert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food was superbtcsjrDined on 9/28/2013had one of the more quiet rooms. Absolutely fabulous food. Took a while but worth the wait. One on my favorite restaurants. Hadn't been there for years, still wonderful. Servers seemed to be understaffed. One of a kind.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful foodFoodie22Dined on 9/24/2013Great food, attentive service and a nice view of the ducks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A fine dining experienceJohnDined on 9/21/2013We hadn't been back to this gem for about 6-7 years and we were happy to make the revisit. The food ( both of us had fish dishes) was excellent. It was prepared perfectly and presented well. The ambience was exactly what we were looking for -- a quiet dinner without a struggle to talk. The service was good but the server may may been a bit overwhelm. There's a lot of things Le Lyonnais is not, but what it is they do extremely well. We'll return in far less than 6 years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too badmoviemavenDined on 9/13/2013I was looking forward to this eating at this restaurant as I had driven by it frequently. It is set in a very pretty spot; and the room in which we were seated took full advantage of the scenery. We had a lovely view of the pond with some ducks and the beautiful sunset sky. However, the food was simply not great. I had pork loin, which was a little dry and not very tasty. We had to return two cocktails as undrinkable, and the desserts were mediocre. I was very disappointed as it could have been so much more. I think their menu is too large. They should stick to a much smaller, more manageable menu. I would have rather had less choice and more taste!Special Features:
- We will try again in a few monthsOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/22/2013Celebrating an Anniversary. Service was excellent. Appetizers were good as were husband's fish and desserts. Nice wine list. Kitchen over cooked the duck breast twice (requested Medium Rare and it was well done). Stopped sending it back. Please buy your Chef a meat thermometer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lyon in ActonOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/1/2013Wonderful French cuisine. Intimate dining. Memorable desserts.Special Features:
- European delightOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/10/2013What a treat it was to experience French dining so close to home. Gerard was our personal chef who spoke French to us while creating a lovely lunch of delicious crepes followed by dreamy meringues drizzled with raspberry sauce. Looking at the pictures of prior diners Julia Child, Jaques Pepin and Seiji Ozawa, made you realize dining here is the real deal. Authentic French food, lovely home atmosphere, a chef committed to serving your culinary wishes....all ensure a memorable European-like dining event right here in Acton.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Truly excellent.SakeDined on 6/29/2013Wow! I first visited Le Lyonnaise in 1974! I live in Boston b-now and haven't visited in years. YELP had a few very nasty reviews but I often have found that YELP only has nasty - disgruntled - reviewers. So, we gave it a chance for old time sake. It was superb! The calibre of the preparation was outstanding! We both travelm extensively, abroad and know good cusine. The quality of the food and the care in preparation was truly astounding. The service was detailed and excellent. Bravo for this gem. Our experience was memorable. Go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent friendly staff.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/29/2013Excellent friendly staff. Excellent food (chicken livers are out of this world).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lucky findfoodiesDined on 6/11/2013This French restaurant made up of four rooms in a house was a surprising find. Ask for a table on the sun porch for a nice view of the river. The service, food, and ambience are worth a second visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well past it's primeMikeVIPDined on 6/7/2013We had been looking forward to trying Le Lyonnais because we live locally, we walked in the front door to empty rooms - no one to greet us - we honestly didn’t know if it was open or not. Once inside and we flagged a person down we found that the people were nice - we had two different servers throughout the night but not in a good way - nice but not very professional. The crepe's were good - everything else was sub par at best. It was like a meal from 1986 - everyone gets the same starch and veg - curry flavored rice and ratatouille - the rice had streaks of unmixed curry powder and the ratatouille had a mix of over cooked and under cook veg? It was like a BAD wedding meal or something you see on one of those restaurant rescue shows.
- Service was worse than poordiningMomDined on 6/5/2013I was on crutches; there was no way to enter except stairs so I had to go up the stairs on one knee. We had a 6pm reservation on a Wednesday night. We searched the entire restaurant for anyone. After 10 minutes someone appeared and seated us. It took her another 10 minutes to return. We asked menu questions. She knew nothing. We got our bread 55 minutes after arriving, drinks 1 hour after arriving, dinner 1 hr 50 minutes after arriving. Server told us that this was her first night after just being trained. She was working the whole place by herself. She had about 6 tables the entire time we were there. I felt bad that I chose this place - it was my mother's bday dinner celebration. I will not return. They do not care about their customers.
- quiet, relaxing, deliciousmaryDined on 6/1/2013Restaurant on a busy route, but inside is peace and quiet. We were seated in a room with a view of a lush green backyard. We were greeted by a server and the owner/chef, who put us at ease & made us feel very welcome. Pate appetizer presented with a small salad. Both were excellent. The salad was the freshest I have had in a long time, and the dressing was superb. I ordered a simple chicken dish, which was tasty and was beautifully presented. The portion was so large that I could not finish it. My husband ordered the lamb, which was tender and cooked to perfection. His dish was also beautifully presented with the side dishes and garnishes artfully arranged. We declined dessert, but I am sure it would have matched the entrees in quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrible serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/18/2013We arrived and were seated right away. It took ~25 minutes for a server to come to our table so we could order! The appetizers came out timely, but the dinner took forever. The server never came back after dropping off our dinner to see how things were. We were done and waiting for ~20 minutes before she came to take our plates away. We talked about getting dessert, but she was MIA for another 15 minutes and by that point, we just wanted to get out of there. She came to take our dessert order and we asked for the check, which took at least 10 minutes to come. Finally, the hostess came and ran our credit card. We didn't get out of there until almost 9:30, and that was just for an appetizer and entree!
- France in ActonFabeetzDined on 5/12/2013Food was very good, some of the creams were amazing, but the veggies were overcooked a little, the people are really friendly, it is a nice find on a busy streetSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Genuine French!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 5/12/2013Chef / owner Gerard (from Lyon as the restaurant's name suggests) has a thick french accent, enough to convince you this is the real thing! If you want genuine Provencal cuisine this is the place. We celebrated Mothers Day there with three generations making a party of eight. Every dish was clearly freshly cooked, serve hot, and appropriately swiftly but not hurried. The Rhone wine we chose was reasonably priced and a perfect complement to the meal. Le Lyonnais is a small restaurant and we have in the past found it suitable for either a quiet intimate dining experience in one of it's four dining areas, or a large celebration where forty + people were "seamlessly" catered for. This little gem is certainly worth a try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OK - A little less than expectedLocalSceneDined on 5/12/2013The atmosphere was quiet and moderately elegant. The service at each stage of dinner was extremely slow - we were there well over two hours, but the server was very friendly and helpful. The salads were very good, especially the cucumber boat. The onion soup gratinee as also quite good. The angus sirloin was perfectly cooked but wasn't particularly flavorful and was a little chewy. The chicken breast was average in flavor but was accompanied by tasty vegetables and rice. The trout was very good, again accompanied by good vegetables. Desserts were good but not outstanding (mousse and cheesecake). We had hoped for a memorable dining occasion. However, the total experience was average or maybe a little better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WE HAVE BEEN GOING TO THISOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/13/2013WE HAVE BEEN GOING TO THIS RESTAURANT FOR OVER 25 YEARS AND IT IS ALWAYS SPECIAL.WE NOW LIVE IN SAVANNAH GA AND WHEN WE COME BACK TO MASS. IT IS A DESTINATION WE ARESURE TO VISIT,AGAIN & AGAIN.Special Features:
- We had to wait for 71 minutesOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/11/2013We had to wait for 71 minutes for the food to appear! We had tickets for a show, and we started to get really worried that we would have to bag the dinner and leave! The "coq au vin" was so, so... My friends, on the other hand, loved their lobster dish!Special Features:
- Very enjoyableOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/31/2013We ate here for Easter dinner and had a lovely time. The food was very good, although my steak was overcooked, it was overall very nice. I would recommend this to anyone for a nice, above-average dinner with moderate prices.Special Features:
- Don't hesitate to go to LeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/8/2013Don't hesitate to go to Le Lyonnais! We made reservations last Friday, and we were surprised that the restaurant was open, given the fact that two feet of snow had fallen that day and the streets were not completely plowed. This lovely little restaurant was open and ready for business! We had escargot and mushroom crepes for appetizers, the house signature pear salad and soupe a l'oignon for starters, and we each had a different entree: pork loin, orange duck, and an elegant special featuring a trio of meats. Everything was expertly prepared and delicious, as one would expect from this great restaurant. Desserts were chocolate mousse and (as I recall) "Delice d'Antoinette." Raves all around and much sharing throughout the meal.Special Features:
- This is provincial FrenchOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/2/2013This is provincial French dining. The food was quite good - the salads were excellent. I had called twice and asked for a quite table. They had one section open which was quite noisy. I should have insisted on moving but did not. The service seemed rushed. The menu is substantial, but as soon as we sat down the waitress wanted to know what we wanted to drink, as if the beverage was not part of the overall dinner. Near the end of dinner, we asked to take the remainder home. This was before we order desert. The waitress brought the containers leaving them on the table before we had dessert. This might be OK for a bar or casual restaurant, but have plastic containers on the table does kill the ambiance. I would certain return though.
- Improve the experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/22/2013My husband and I like eating out at French restaurants. The food was nice, but there were several things that were not as nice as at other French restaurants we frequent in the area: The number of wines by the glass was VERY limited, and the quality of the wines offered was low-medium. People that frequent french restaurants would like excellent wine to go with excellent food. In addition we would like the wine to be served in a Riedel-style glass please. Similarly for the Capuchino after the dinner; bigger cups would be nice. Better presentation is needed.The porch room was not cozy in winter; Curtains are needed.
- Our night started by the hostessOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/16/2013Our night started by the hostess leaving us standing at the front for nearly 10 minutes, then sitting us right next to the kitchen where the floor shaked every time someone walked by. There were other tables available, and I regret not asking to move. We ordered a cheese plate appetizer which came with a bland selection of cheese (grocery store quality Swiss, brie and plain cream cheese with chives mixed in) and some measly apples. It would've been nice to have some crackers for the brie and cream cheese, but no. The lobster in my where's dinner was overcooked, and we had to wait for nearly 20 minutes for our check. Definitely not returning.
- first impression was no loungeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/15/2013first impression was no lounge and we came a little early to have a drink. waited outside for 20 minutes. the wine list is dissapointing...have your distributor make up a nice one with descriptions. food was good but a little bland..waitress was adequate.
- We were disappointed thatjoel67VIPDined on 2/14/2013We were disappointed that they only served a few fixed priced options (it was Valentine's Day, but still). We did not know that. We went because it was a (good) FRENCH restaurant and that wasn't what we got!
- Le Lyonnais... always great.esquehillDined on 2/14/2013As always, our dinner-for-2 on Valentine's day was superb. Four fixed-price choices; great service (perfect level of attentive). I've been going to Le Lyonnais for many years, and I have never, ever been disappointed.Special Features:
- Service was courteous but slow.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/13/2013We had reservations for two on a week night. We were seated promptly and there was ample spacing amongst the dining tables. The light French music and quiet and pretty ambiance were pleasant and tasteful. The escargot came out in a timely fashion, but our salmon and duck dinners took an hour to be served to us, with no explanation for the delay. The server and hostess were friendly and courteous. My duck dinner was delicious, whereas my companion's salmon and scallop dinner was overcooked. The portions were small.Special Features:
- It has been many years sinceGeorgeVIPDined on 1/19/2013It has been many years since we went to Le Lyonnaise and we were pleased to find it on OpenTable. It has changed for the better. The ambiance felt like an upscale French outside-of-Paris restuarant. The food was well presented with ample portions and the service was eager to please. I enjoyed a unique ham and sourkraut appitizer served on a scollop shell and the Marseille Paella was excellent with plenty of seafood. My partner was very pleased with the pate' and was overjoyed with the scollop dish. Certainly a go-back- to restaurant.Special Features:
- Very niceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/18/2013I've lived in Acton for about 25 years and have dined here occasionally, always with satisfaction. I hadn't been here for awhile and came with a new significant other who is both a foodie and somewhat of a wine expert. We arrived fairly early on a Friday evening, so had the place to ourselves for a bit. Service was nicely relaxed. The portions were more generous than I remembered from past visits. My partner was thrilled with his fish soup. I had a great pear sald. Our entrees, coquille st. Jacques and a veal curry were excellent. We also shared a nice dessert crepe. Overall, a lovely experience and we will return for sure.Special Features: