108 Castro Street
Mountain View, CA 94041Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://vasoazzurro.com/
- Phone: 6509401717
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: M-F 11:30am-2:00pm
Dinner: Su-Th 5:00pm-9:00pm
Dinner: F-Sa 5:00pm-10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Hasan Yildiz
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Vaso Azzurro
We are known for our authentic and fresh Northern Italian fare made daily with only the finest ingredients. With a variety of satisfying and unique dishes, we have something for every type of taste preferences. Our "feel at home" staff and intimate atmosphere filled with upscale Mediterranean decor makes us a great place to take a date or the whole family.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Vaso Azzurro reviews from OpenTable diners
55 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (24)great for outdoor dining (21)fit for foodies (17)good for groups (14)special occasion (14)romantic (7)great for lunch (5)late-night find (4)hot spot (2)notable wine list (2)kid-friendly (2)vibrant bar scene (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- An enjoyable dining experiencepianomanDined on 6/29/2013Dined here twice, once indoor with a larger group, once outdoor with my wife. Enjoyed the food and the atmosphere both times. I'll definitely be back, as this restaurant is one of the better choices for downtown Mtn. View dining.Special Features:
- Not as Good as Last YearOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/9/2013We went to this place last year, and it was really good, with great food and great service. This time, though the food was still good, the service (very friendly and well-meaning) was incompetent. The owner, or manager, who seemed like a lovely person, was nevertheless overly-intrusive. At 8:45, we received the very strong hint that it was time to leave (even though we had spent a lot of money), which we did.
- Fairly nice place, but food suffersOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/7/2013We enjoyed Vaso Azzurro on a nice warm evening, and ate outside next to Castro Street. CalTrain and cars accelerating away from the tracks weren't pleasant of course, but it wasn't bad. Among the three dinners ordered, a linguine with seafood was OK, a chicken saltimboca was rather unpleasant looking and tasted flat, and a clam chowder was really too buttery to eat. Wait staff was friendly and helpful, if inexperienced. This was our second visit to VA, but it's probably our last. The food just didn't cut it, and the other factors were not good enough to make up for it.
- We sat outside on a beautifulOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/6/2013We sat outside on a beautiful Bay Area evening, it was a bit cool but they were on top of it getting the heating lamp turned on and checked back multiple times to ensure the temperature was to our liking. The food is excellent every time I've been here. Inside can be a bit noisy, especially on Friday and Saturday nights as it is quite popular.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The booking and changing ofOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/4/2013The booking and changing of my reservation directly with the restaurant was very easy- they were responsive and friendly. The food at the restaurant was so-so, very American-Italian style. I wasn't that impressed (I did live in Italy for a stint though). I asked if the gnocci was good/made in house the server said "no one makes their own gnocci" and then when I asked for no cream because I'm lactose intolerant the server insisted that the cream was fine because it was "only a little bit"- putting me in an awkward position where I basically had to get it with the cream. Also found the servers to be very interruptive. The desserts were OK, Affogato was the best, and the cheesecake was not good. Everything in between was just OK.Special Features:
- Live Jazz, Great FoodHappyTummyVIPDined on 5/31/2013Live jazz on Friday nights, which was when we went - twice! Everything was as good as expected. Glad to see they're doing well, they deserve it! Reservation highly recommended on weekends, there were stragglers still showing up at around 9:30!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wasn't bad, but wouldn't botherTUESDAYVIPDined on 5/28/2013Wasn't bad, but wouldn't bother to go back unfortunately.
- lovely atmosphereKayWDined on 5/25/2013Pre-show dinner for two: we had carpaccio and polenta for starters, followed by prawns with crusty crab-polenta and gnocchi with pesto. The carpaccio was delicately thin, paired with peppery mustard and arugula. The prawns were fine, if maybe a little overcooked, but the polenta that went with them was fabulous. The service was excellent, from arrival to exit, we were well taken care of in a very personal way. If you want to have a conversation during dinner without having to shout, it's smart to arrive early - we were there at 6 for a Saturday night, and at that time, the noise level was fine. By the time we left, the restaurant was full and rather loud, though not too bad in the back.
- Vaso AzzurroMLADDined on 5/22/2013This restaurant was recommended by a co-worker. Parking was difficult. Food and service were good; price was a little high. My group, 8 people, were satisfied with the service & quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very attentive service withoutitsme2Dined on 5/21/2013Very attentive service without feeling rushed. The Minestrone soup was excellent. The main entrees - outstanding. Loved the prawns and crab polenta. Looks like we found the restaurant to celebrate our anniversary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A new neighborhood find!DessertfirstVIPDined on 5/10/2013We're new to the neighborhood, and wandered into VA last week for dinner. Delicious bread and dipping oil to start, lovely caesar salad, perfectly prepared prawns and pasta dish. I only wish they had more pasta dishes that are dressed in oil and wine, for a lighter meal. Mine had kind of an alfredo sauce, and it was very rich. There was a great sax/bass duo playing during dinner, and it was beautiful background music! We will be returning!I would recommend this to a friend.
- The calamari was really good.kittyDined on 5/2/2013The calamari was really good. I had the picatta con erbe which was excellent. It's very warm now so we chose to eat outside, but as the restaurant s right next to the train tracks and Central Expressway it was a little hard to converse. Do not reccommend going on a date during peak traffic hours.Special Features:
- Great restaurant with a wonderfulOwenhDined on 4/26/2013Great restaurant with a wonderful staff...very friendly, helpful, energetic. Lots of singing, greeting, etc. Food was good but not great...several of the dishes had a bit too much salt for our tastes.Special Features:
- outdoor seating is hamperedKathyVIPDined on 4/22/2013outdoor seating is hampered by train The Mahi mahi looked dry. My salmon was ok. The waiter was efficient, too efficient, seemed like they wanted us to leave even though there were only 2 tables.
- You can tell from the minuteDoctorDaveDined on 4/20/2013You can tell from the minute you walk in the door that everyone in this restaurant loves their job. It's such a delight to be treated to enthusiastic, friendly service. Delicious food. Reasonable selection of nice wines - we had a very nice barolo. Overall a wonderful experience. We will be back.Special Features:
- Great place. Excellent food.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/19/2013Great place. Excellent food. However, if you'd like to chat during dinner, I'd recommend sitting outside since it is quite noisy inside.Special Features:
- Our female waitress was aOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/19/2013Our female waitress was a bit too pushy "to avoid the rush of people coming, she told us". Chicken saltimboca was too salty other entrees were good. Our favorite waiter/singer Michael was pulled to the bar so it changed the whole experience.The musicians were at the front door/bar area & very good but missed the more contemporary music too from the younger duo there last month.Special Features:
- Great service and delicious food!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/18/2013Food was delish! We had a wonderful experience. Very friendly staff and all our dishes were prepared perfectly! Would definitely go back and recommend to others.Special Features:
- Delightful, interested serverOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/13/2013Delightful, interested server staff, good food and ambience, lovely live jazz on a Saturday night.Special Features:
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/2/2013We chose this from other reviews.The food was great and definitely glad we tried this place. My fiancee had the diablo which could have had more spice.It wasnt that spicy but otherwise everything was excellent.The service was good and the food came quick.I am not much of a wine drinker.I asked for a zinfindale (whatever was sweeter) but I got a red dry wine that wasnt sweet at all.I didnt complain or ask for something else.The place was lively.It was alot louder than I expected.Expected a quiet place but it was full and alot of chattering people. At the end of the meal we were full and just wanted to go home and plop on the couch from eating too much. Would definitely recommend.
- My favorite Italian restaurantPamelaDined on 3/25/2013Food is always perfectly delicious. The service is always attentive and warm. It is my goto Italian restaurant. Nothing in the area compares.Special Features:
- We had a wonderful birthdayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/23/2013We had a wonderful birthday celebration with our family ~fabulous food and drink and singing as well! We can't wait to return!Special Features:
- Italian Gem in Mountain ViewHappyTummyVIPDined on 3/22/2013I can only give 5 stars on this site, but personally we think the service deserves 10 stars! Right from the moment we stepped inside to the moment we left, EVERY single person was courteous and attentive. The food selections were extensive, the quality was great. Friday nights are a bit busier than usual, but that adds to the atmosphere, like a real Italian eatery, which is like eating with a large family. Also has live jazz (duet that night) which was nice, and a very enthusiastic waiter who could belch out a few ballads when he felt like it.Special Features:
- Excellent food. Loved theOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/8/2013Excellent food. Loved the owner's attention with all the guests. Will definitely return.Special Features:
- Excellent value.EverythingOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 3/4/2013Excellent value.Everything about this place was great. We took clients to dinner here and everyone had a terrific time! From the delicious appetizers to the "singing pastry chef," Vaso Azzuro was first class.Special Features:
- Lets start with this was ourOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 2/16/2013Lets start with this was our first visit and we will try it again.The Host was charming, a women came by ( I think the owner, she didn't introduce herself) and check on our food. The food was awesome, everyone in our party loved the food and the desserts. The speciality cocktail again very good. The weak link here was the service, our waiter was polite, greeted us, took our drink order and we ordered an appetizer to start. It was delivered by another waiter and then our waiter took our order, opened the wine we brought with us. Then he was not seen again, someone else brought the dinners, another waiter took the dessert order and delivered it. Food was worth the service confusionSpecial Features:
- Found GemOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 1/18/2013Fantastic gem in downtown Mountain View. With great good, very friendly staff, live Jazz and wonderful service. Mark who is the host and his wonderful hospitality will bring you back.Special Features:
- Family owned and operatedJustSayingDined on 1/11/2013Family owned and operated with special attention lavished on regular customers but they are more than happy to include newcomers into the family. Creative flair to traditional Italian fare with a decent though not extensive wine list. Great place to bring out of town guests or to enjoy a meal several times a week. I'd highly recommend!Special Features:
- The risotto with lobster wasAndThenVIPDined on 1/5/2013The risotto with lobster was outstanding and my husband's mushroom ravioli was quite good. We shared a Caesar salad which the waiter split for us. Drinks were generous and wine was good. Only suggestion is that the television set detracts from the ambiance. We will go back.Special Features:
- Terrific time - excellentPaulVIPDined on 12/31/2012Terrific time - excellent food, live music, very lively and happy crowdSpecial Features:
- We had a reservation, andOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 12/23/2012We had a reservation, and the information on the building said it was during business hours, but the door was locked. This was not at all helpful on a very rainy day. I'm sure our friends will never return.
- Not my first time here butOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 12/22/2012Not my first time here but felt like the first time was better than my most recent visit. The dishes were on the pricey side and the fettuccine azzurro was sort of on the bland side. Our waiter wasn't very attentive until we ordered dessert. Our waiter never asked if we wanted more bread; we flagged down a different waiter for more bread. I noticed that the tables that had ordered wine or a cocktail got more service than the ones that didn't. We did not order wine that night. The busboys that were cleaning the tables and pouring water were more attentive to us than our actual waiter. On the plus side, the atmosphere was enjoyable.Special Features:
- Great food and serviced.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/19/2012Great food and serviced. The owner always makes it a point to come to your table and make you feel extra special, as if you were part of his family.Special Features:
- Service was attentive and familial.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/14/2012It was our first time at this restaurant but we could tell instantly that this little gem is a place people treasure. Many of the guests were there to celebrate their anniversaries, birthdays, and other milestones and were serenaded by the lively and entertaining waitstaff and musicians. (Note: this might be a little over-whelming for a first or blind date; it is great however for couples and families.) Service was attentive and overwhelmingly familial. We loved that one of the owners sat down with us at our table to sing. It was a little pricey but worth it in ambiance. It is however quite affordable without wine or dessert. The homemade wild mushroom ravioli special was exceptional.Special Features:
- Ordered the daily specialSanCarlosLocalVIPDined on 12/11/2012Ordered the daily special and the portion size was on the skimpy side.
- Pretentious and stereotypicalninoDined on 12/1/2012This is a turkish-based restaurant that pretend to be "italian". The waiters go around and speak with loud voice and even sing, something would never happen in an italian restaurant. The way the waiters were approaching the table asking about wine or orders were excessively friendly, borderline annoying I must say. The food, overall, was good. I had the scaloppine and my wife had gnocchi, which both were decently goo. Tiramisu is not worth the price. The live music was a good note on top of the rest though.Special Features:
- Mediocre, no reason to returnOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/20/2012Lovely eggplant appetizer, bright fresh tomato sauce and flavors. Overcooked seafood pasta, gummy and heavy gnocchi. Nice enough atmosphere but not worth a return visit based strictly on the quality of the food. Something I wonder about in US Italian restaurants that offer parmesan with seafood courses - are they bowing to the American desire for parmesan on everything, or do they not know that parmesan with seafood is absolutely frowned on in Italy, so much so that restaurateurs refuse to serve it to the uninitiated who ask for it?
- Great food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/16/2012We went for dinner. The place is nice and the service was really good, but very noisy. They have a cello player and a saxo player. The food was good, we ordered gnocci with gorgonzola souce, polenta with cheese, fetuccini carbonara. All of the plates were good, the only thing was the polenta luck a bit more of salt, it wasn't bad but it would be better with more salt and pepper. Overall we liked the food and we will return for more.Special Features:
- The restaurant was very crowdedCricketDined on 11/5/2012The restaurant was very crowded & busy, which was surprising for a Monday. The staff were all very attentive and friendly and took good care of us while we waited for an outdoor table. The food wasn't as memorable as the service (I'm writing this 3 weeks later and can't remember what I ordered) but I would definitely go back. It was a very pleasant evening for my friend and me.
- Great food and a fun environment.OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 11/1/2012Great food and a fun environment. The owners are brothers who make the experience thoroughly enjoyable. Great place to take a date...first time or long time date.