108 Castro Street
Mountain View, CA 94041Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://vasoazzurro.com/
- Phone: 6509401717
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: M-F 11:30am-2:00pm
Dinner: Su-Th 5:00pm-9:00pm
Dinner: F-Sa 5:00pm-10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Hasan Yildiz
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Vaso Azzurro
We are known for our authentic and fresh Northern Italian fare made daily with only the finest ingredients. With a variety of satisfying and unique dishes, we have something for every type of taste preferences. Our "feel at home" staff and intimate atmosphere filled with upscale Mediterranean decor makes us a great place to take a date or the whole family.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Vaso Azzurro reviews from OpenTable diners
56 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (24)great for outdoor dining (21)fit for foodies (17)good for groups (14)special occasion (14)romantic (7)great for lunch (5)late-night find (4)hot spot (2)notable wine list (2)kid-friendly (2)vibrant bar scene (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Went with a small group afterElihuDined on 3/4/2014Went with a small group after reading favorable reviews on Yelp. Restaurant decor was nice, food was at best average for price, service was slow and inattentive. Seemed like the waiter had too many tables to cover, while a plethora of busboys stood around. There are too many good restaurants to waste time and money here.
- Food is good but expensiveOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/23/2014I requested for a birthday song for my 13yr old in the opentable reservation notes. It got completely ignored. The next table over did get a nice birthday rendition. May be they don't read the comments section from opentable:( Food is consistently good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing experienceDeDeMDined on 2/16/2014I took some friends to Vaso Azzurro for dinner after having a relatively positive experience a couple months ago. Unfortunately, this time, the food was disappointing. The porcine crusted halibut was overcooked by the time it came to the table, and the flavoring was bland. The sauce was too thick and rich. The restaurant itself was very noisy, which isn't unusual. However, in an extremely noisy restaurant you wouldn't expect the maitre d' to jump up in the middle of dinner and bellow into a microphone. Even that would have been OK if he didn't think that he needed to sing loud enough to drown out conversation. I was embarrassed that I had suggested the place to my friends. I left the restaurant with a headache and indigestion.
- Valentine's Eve DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/13/2014Had a wonderful, reasonably priced dinner for two, and the wait staff was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- we felt like honored guestsEllenBVIPDined on 2/8/2014everybody was warm and friendly. The food was delicious. But the best part was the singing maitre de!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing place with a veryRdcruDined on 2/1/2014Amazing place with a very warm and personable staff. The good is great, the ambiance is great. The only problem is that there aren't more places like this. You must try this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, surly waiterkatoVIPDined on 1/27/2014I took someone here for lunch. And because it was early, it was quiet and easy to talk. The waiter acted like we were bothering him, that he had other stuff to do. The food was very good and the restaurant prettySpecial Features:
- Wonderful service & great food!EjayDined on 1/24/2014The food, atmosphere & service was excellent! Definitely a great place to bring friends for a night of good food & company. I must warn you though that the place can get really loud & conversation can become a shouting match! But when with your friends it just adds to the fun. Reservation is a MUST the place is packed. Will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love, Love, LoveVBatlasVIPDined on 1/22/2014This has become one of my favorite Italian restaurants. It is family owned and run ..... even mama Vaso walks around greeting and making sure everything is perfect. The food is fantastic. Go on a Friday or Saturday evening when they have music and someone in the family is singing! But don't forget to make a reservation ...... it's a favorite for a lot of people.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful meal!FoodsmythingDined on 1/16/2014We had a group of 9 women for dinner to celebrate a birthday. The food was delicious and the service was awesome. We loved the singing maitre d!Special Features:
- Authentic Italian restaurant!VictorDined on 1/12/2014I went there on my birthday and I must say its one of the best authentic Italian restaurants in bay area. The staff was very friendly and the service was great! They have a huge vegetarian selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Live jazz and good foodMarkRVIPDined on 1/10/2014At Vaso Azzurro, I often find that the meal starts off great (the focaccia with the garlicky oil is fanstastic!), but the entrees often turn out to be not as good as the bread. I'm still searching for the right savory entree. It's very good, mind you, but just not excellent. However, the terrific service and live jazz music on Friday nights often bring me back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- we had early dinner at 5:45OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/2/2014we had early dinner at 5:45 and had great service. food was greatSpecial Features:
- Happy New YearBfromCAVIPDined on 12/31/2013We enjoyed a nice dinner with friends on New Years Eve. The jazz music was delightful and Michael's voice carried opera tunes through the restaurant. I do feel the Italian vibrancy in this special place. The choices of the New Years Menu were varied and all four of us enjoyed our picks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Intentionally harshHomieVIPDined on 12/14/2013I work on Castro St. and Vaso Azzurro is the only place that has a chance of being a quality Italian dining experience. Saturday night the Veal Piccata was more than a little chewy…come on, this is a staple dish that must be near perfect at any decent Italian restaurant. It's not a special or complicated…you order it when you want something you know will be great. A few improvements and this place can get top marks…I suggest: more emphasis on the freshest and best ingredients; emphasize house made pastas; dial down the stress level of the service staff…I know it's Holiday, but, go scream in the kitchen where you can channel Gordon Ramsey…leave us diners feel like it's a well oiled machine out there. We need you to light up Castro St.Special Features:
- Hit and miss on food and service.JoeyDined on 12/1/2013First time here and I was looking for a tasty, well-prepared Italian meal. I ordered the risotto with seafood. It was othing more than yellow rice with your standard few scallops and peeled shrimp. It didn't have the creamy risotto texture I was hoping for. One of my sons had pasta with seafood (mussels, clams, etc.,), which was so-so. My wife and other son had carbonara, which was quite good. So hit and miss on the food. Service was hit and miss as well. The waiter was nice enough when he greeted us and took our order. But he never checked on us during our meal and forgot to bring the salad we ordered with the appetizer. I was also not impressed that he didn't recall the price of the evening special when I asked him.
- Great for lunch or dinnerTasteTouristDined on 11/25/2013Very good Italian food in a casual atmosphere. Service is excellent.Special Features:
- Best italian in mountain viewOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 11/24/2013Really love this restaurant. Great standard menu and always have a few nice specials. The veal chop this trip was excellent, everyone in the group had a good time. Only slight miss was a few minutes of wait after initial seating, but was recognize, sincere apology given, and excellent servic ute remainder of the visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Less than expectedIrvSDined on 11/24/20132 of the 4 dishes were surprisingly disappointing compared with our previous experiences at this restaurant. Does Vaso have a new chef? However, the 2 dishes that were specials were deemed excellent and the service was very good. We will probably give it another try.I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummyTastelifeDined on 10/12/2013The experience was very enjoyable. The bread and olive oil was spectacular, and the food was filling and satisfying. It was pretty packed on a Saturday evening but worth the reservation. The staff was nice but seemed preoccupied, probably because it was so busy. I would go again to try some other tasty dish!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, bad musicShadowOfaDancerDined on 10/12/2013The food is AMAZING! Not super heavy or rich, which I don't care for, but very savory. They have a nice wine list but are a tad old fashion in the fact that the only ask the man's opinion on what the table would like. Now if your significant other knows wine this isn't a problem but when they don't it might be. I had to be a little more stern then I would have liked when asking the waiter to show me the list instead. Overall the service was excellent My biggest issue was actually the music. They had a cello and saxophone walking around playing live which would have been awesome had they both been playing on the same key. With my boyfriend and I both being quite musical this bothered us quite a lot. But as I said before, the food is AMAZING!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Recommended, just a little noisyWhoKnowsDined on 10/11/2013This was a great small and cozy restaurant. The calamari appetizer was very good and the portion size was actually decent. I had the Scallopini di Vitello (veal) and I thought it was delicious and filling. My girlfriend and I enjoyed this place and thought the energetic music and singing from the staff added pleasantly to the atmosphere, though it was a little loud at times. The price is reasonable, too. I definitely recommend this place.Special Features:
- Almost perfectMondyVIPDined on 10/8/2013This is a wonderful restaurant, the service is amazing. I think we were waited on by at least 6 people even the bar tender came out to see if he could help us. THe meal was very good my only complaint was that the lamb was slightly over done. I do mean slightly. I would like to see more selections by the glass on the wine list but overall it was a very fine experience. I will be back soon.Special Features:
- My friends and I were therebdaygirl21Dined on 9/20/2013My friends and I were there for my birthday, and the service was fantastic. Everyone there was great and we had such a fun time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cook it yourselfcricketDined on 9/19/2013Fun to cook your own food on the table top barbeques. Beef was good; I liked better than the ribs.Special Features:
- The Best in Mountain ViewOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/13/2013This is the favorite restaurant of my husband and I. It is a family-run business and the food is fantastic. We have never had a bad meal. All the staff are incredibly friendly and make a point to get to know and welcome their repeat customers. They always make us feel right at home. You are NEVER rushed, which is great. There are several tables for outside dining with heaters. The atmosphere is very energizing with live background music on weekends. We look forward to having dinner there every Friday night! We highly recommend this restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Experience!!!SupertDutyBobDined on 9/6/2013A co-worker and I we were in San Mateo on business and Vaso's was recommended from a clerk at the hotel we stayed. We drove down and it was worth it. Excellent food. I had the Lamb and Risotto and it was excellent, my co-worker had the beef special; he enjoyed it also. Mark the Maitre d' was excellent - we ask for suggestions and he pointed us in the right direction. There deserts were exceptional - we almost didn't get any, but Mark sold us on some. My coworker go the special which was Apple cobbler - very good - the sauce was excellent. I got the Tiramisu; ranks right up there with the best I've ever had. The jazz band was very good; created a nice feel to the place, with out being to loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodnoneDined on 8/31/2013We enjoyed the entrees we ordered (Penne Diavola, Ravioli, Risotto Pescatore). The quality was good and the quantity was proper (not too much and not too little), We will go again some time. The prices were reasonable too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Northern Italian Cuisine on CastroOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/31/2013We had a sidewalk table, which was delightful (except for the Caltrain commuter every 15 minutes a hundred yard up Castro St.). Nice menu with varied selections. Appetizers and main courses executed well. Desserts very nice. Highly recommend the home made gelato. Service was excellent. Gracious host allowed us to linger on a Saturday evening, and even serenaded us!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loud but goodVBatlasVIPDined on 8/22/2013I've eaten here a few times and with the exception of once, the restaurant is very loud, but the food is good. It's hard to hold a conversation across the table without having to shout, so if you're looking for a quiet romantic restaurant, this is not the place for you. Also, when they get busy, the service can sometimes be slow. I waited at the bar for the rest of my party before they would seat me, and had a hard time getting a drink. That was a little disappointing. Have a reservation, or you most likely won't get a table!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very accommodatingsupersandraVIPDined on 8/14/2013When I go out to eat with others I have prescription food that I need to have. Vaso Azzurro is very accommodating of me and is able to heat up my food and plate it, which not all restaurants will do. Much appreciated. :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-theater delightOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/10/2013Great restaurant for a pre-theater (MV Center of Performing Arts) dinner. At first no one seemed interested in greeting us when we came through the back door or walked through the restaurant to the host podium even though there were several staff members apparently setting up. We waited a few minutes until I finally asked someone behind the bar if we were supposed to seat ourselves. He came around and seated us. After that the service was impeccable with frequent checks on our table to see if everything was ok. The 3 of us enjoyed our delicious dinner choices, wine, and dessert.
- Mediocre and way over priced.ShinaDined on 8/9/2013Olive Garden has better food for a fraction of the price. I wouldn't go back again.
- Nice place for work lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/1/2013Good variety on the menu, relatively quiet without being dead. Good for conversation.Special Features:
- Great spot for an evening dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/24/2013I took the family, plus some visitors (I had 5 teenagers with me), and we had an excellent experience across the board. Food was great for all people, service was excellent, and we had just an outright good time. Recommend Vaso Azzurro.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but eat inside!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/22/2013Close to the tracks and the trains went by every 10 minutes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was not goodOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/20/2013The rib eye was very fatty, thin with too much sauce. The lamb chops were covered in what seemed to be turkey gravy. The risotto was flavorless. Overall not a good place to eat.
- I love this place. I haveJudyVIPDined on 7/19/2013I love this place. I have been here many times and it is always good. Go early for more parking options as downtown mountain view gets crowded weekdays at lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Popular mama's place8forfunDined on 7/17/2013Appetizers: brochetta & clams were tasty. Everyone had nice dinners. Tiramisu dessert was ok. Wine was better. Noise lever was high. Service was attentive. Mama stopped by the table 2 or 3 times to check on things. An enjoyable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A varied menuOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/30/2013This is one of the better restaurants in Downtown Mountain View, with a varied menu, excellent salads, balanced tastes within a dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.