Central Bistro and Bar
1691 Central St
Denver, CO 80211Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Central Bistro and Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.centralbistrobar.com/
- Phone: 3034774582x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Wed-Fri 11am-2pm
Brunch: Saturday 10 am- 2pm & Sunday 10am-9pm
Dinner Tues-Sat 2pm-10pm Sunday til 9pm
Complimentary Valet Thursday-Saturday
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Matt Selby
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We love a good party and are happy to accommodate large groups as well as partial and full buyouts. We will work with you to create a great menu and a memorable experience for your corporate, family or special event.
- Private Party Contact: Lennie Holt 303-477-4582x
A word from Central Bistro and Bar
Opened in the summer of 2012 in Denver’s LoHi Neighborhood, Central is an American Bistro and Bar focusing on the fine presentation of dishes that draw upon the heritage of American classics. The 70-seat space is contemporary yet rustic in feel and has been carefully curated with both modern materials and vintage neighborhood finds. The patio and bar offer an unmatched view of the city's skyline, and the restaurant is open for lunch, brunch and dinner.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Central Bistro and Bar - Best Restaurants in Highlands ›
Central Bistro and Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
78 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (53)fit for foodies (53)neighborhood gem (44)scenic view (43)special occasion (18)hot spot (16)great for brunch (15)notable wine list (14)vibrant bar scene (13)good for groups (12)romantic (11)great for lunch (9)late-night find (5)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Mother's Day BrunchGaryDined on 5/11/2014Wonderful service and good food but about $5 to $10 overpriced per person.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Relaxing Mothers DayNewYorkerDined on 5/11/2014Friendly, interested staff who cared about your experience. Food was good but poorly presented. Expensive for the selections offered. Wait staff offered tasty appetizers. A Mother's Day gift card and a chocolate covered strawberry was a very nice surprise. I would like to go back and try a meal from the menu instead of the brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food great serviceKrs10Dined on 5/9/2014I have nothing but the highest recommendation for Central Bistro and bar. A bit pricey, but worth every dime. I will defiantly be a repeat costumer!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will be back again!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/9/2014Service was friendly and wonderful. Also knowledgeable staff. Enjoyed the evening. A little bit on the pricey side but no regrets.I would recommend this to a friend.
- JoanneVIPDined on 4/20/2014You never know what you'll wind up with when it comes to buffet brunches on major "brunch holidays" like Easter, Mother's Day, etc. But the one at Central Bistro was very good ... a well-edited menu that included the usual omelet and carving stations (ham was excellent!), plus a well-stocked shrimp and lox station! (Other restaurants where we have had Easter brunch either didn't have these two items, or only allowed miniscule servings ... when Central Bistro says "all you can eat," it's with no restrictions, LOL!). Everything was fresh and tasty. This was our first visit to Central and we look forward to returning when the regular menu is in effect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Easter BrunchDenverDinerDined on 4/20/2014Huge difference between Easter brunch this year versus last year. Brunch selections were fewer, omelets were good, but the rest of the menu was just okay. Nothing amazing or fit for a foodie. The SERVICE WAS TERRIBLE. Everyone from the hostess to our several waiters looked (and acted) unhappy. It was kind of a depressing atmosphere. Won't go back.
- Central Bistro consistently greatMilkDined on 4/17/2014Central does not fail to deliver exceptionally great food at a fair price. The service is also standout, you can tell the staff really wants to work there. I will return...Special Features:
- Flavor CentralCheechDined on 4/5/2014With one of the best views of downtown Denver, Chef Matt Selby & his team provide a delicious dining experience for all. The Brussels sprouts are to-die-for, the service is on point, and the complimentary valet doesn't hurt either! I can't wait to create many more memories at Central this spring & summer!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantMarcVIPDined on 4/4/2014A nice mix of a bar, fine dining restaurant, and casual stop, Central Bistro has terrific service, an outstanding view of the downtown skyline, and a warm and energetic atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is our spotCharcutermanDined on 4/4/2014My wife and I love this restaurant. We've always been treated with excellent service, and the food is incredible. We love eating here, and we even had our wedding reception there. Central is so great! Get the brusselsprouts appetizer, you will love it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous brunch!TrishWS13VIPDined on 3/30/2014Great eats and excellent service! You must start with the Carrot Ginger juice fortified with your favorite alcoholic beverage. Lighter than I thought it would be and naturally sweet and spicy. Server said their menu had just been adjusted to the season. So many good things listed, it was very hard to choose! We ended up going with the Spanish Tortilla and Chicken Hash; both were exceptional in every way. Especially love the explosion of flavor that comes from the garnishments: for our dishes it was the tart olives with the tortilla and the pickled shallots with the hash. Excellent coffee, too, from the local purveyor next door.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply Awesome!Sky5000Dined on 3/29/2014We absolutely loved this place! We went to celebrate our 3 year Anniversary, and they treated us like gold. It was our first time trying this place out, but I guarantee that this will be one of our regular spots from now on. They started us out with a complimentary glass of Champagne to celebrate, and it just got better from there. The smoked salmon and Lamb Rillettes were perfect - and they perfectly complimented each other. Her scallops were cooked perfectly, and the flavors were spot on. I tried the Carbonara. It was also great, with the small exception that my poached egg was slightly overcooked. However, the lemon olive oil cake and lemon ice cream dessert pretty much made up for that . We will be back....often!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique restaurant in the HighlandsNatiDined on 3/22/2014Unique restaurant in the Highlands area. Service was top notch, as was the food. My only disappointment was the size of the drinks. Martins were served in a smaller glass than is typical.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic all the way around!DavetheeggmanDined on 3/22/2014I've been in the food business for over 15 years and was pleasantly surprised at the whole dining experience at Central Bistro! We had a variety of dishes and they were all were great. Mac n Cheese- added bacon and was delicious! Nice blend of cheese and not too heavy. Salmon-prepared properly and tasted very fresh and light. Gourmet Burger- excellent!!! Nutella banana dessert- amazing! Fantastic Service- 10 Great drink selection- 10 Fun, light atmospher-9 Quality food ingredients-10Special Features:
- great fusion foodawesomeVIPDined on 3/22/2014Great food, excellent service, great ambiance... awesome experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food good, service aloofBigfootDined on 3/13/2014My wife & I went on a Thursday night at 8 pm. Not exactly a "busy time." Service was slow - it took 20 minutes to get a order of wine in and another 10 for it to arrive. We ordered our appetizers and dinner and the food was great. The waitstaff seemed very aloof. Almost like they were annoyed that we were there. There were only 2 other tables there. The food "almost" made up for it. We dine out a lot and we're very patient, especially when the restaurant is busy. But there was no excuse this time.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 3/12/2014The only challenge was Parking, had to drive around for almost 10 minutes to find a spot.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would not ReturnanonVIPDined on 3/8/2014Thank heavens for the two great people who were responsible for serving our table. That is the only thing that made this restaurant visit not a complete disaster. The food item I ordered, which was a special, was not made and served the way it was listed on the menu - not even close. Might be nice to sit in the bar, but would never go back to the restaurant.
- Great place!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/28/2014I really enjoyed this restaurant. Portions were perfect, food was prepared and presented very nicely, and service was excellent. Great atmosphere and lively feel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was very good andOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/28/2014The food was very good and the ambiance ok. A little noisy because it seemed to be a big square room and was quite packed for restaurant week.Special Features:
- Gem but nousyJg62VIPDined on 2/27/2014They need to dampen the noise. Hard surfaces abound and one could not hear across a table! Remove the tile ceilings! Food was excellent. We will wear Noise canceling headphones if we returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glad we found itOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/26/2014We went to Central for Restaurant Week and were so glad we did. It was a small, loud, hipster place with excellent food. Loved the crispy chicken with apple, pancetta stuffing and the toffee chocolate bread pudding was to die for!Special Features:
- Good, but nothing standoutMandyDined on 2/23/2014I went to this restaurant a year or so ago and thought the food was better the first time. I went most recently during restaurant week, so the menu options were limited. The dumplings were mostly tasteless (like boxed dressing), but the ramake was good. In general, the food was good, but nothing really stood out as being something I couldn't make at home. Probably won' t be going back.Special Features:
- Try a barrel-aged cocktailPurpleMtnMommaDined on 2/23/2014The space is nicely appointed and comfortable with a good view of downtown. The service was attentive. It was Denver Restaurant Week so we utilized the fixed menu. Our appetizers and entrees were inventive and delicious. Dessert (mixed berry curd or milk chocolate sticky toffee pudding) left everyone on the subpar note of the evening. Kiddos were accommodated and we would definitely go back. Loved the whiskeys in the bar. Try a barrel-aged cocktail. Delish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Brunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/23/2014I met a friend of mine for Sunday brunch at Central Bistro and Bar. What a great meal! We had mimosa's that were the perfect mix of orange juice and champagne. I had the Bistro Chilauqiles, which were wonderful. The braised pork was tender, the eggs were cooked to my specifications and the chips underneath it all made for a perfect salty crunch. I would certainly order again. This was my third visit to Central Bistro and Bar and again it didn't disappoint. I’m looking forward to my next meal there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A fun findOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 2/22/2014This is why 5280 week is such a great idea! We had great food and great hosts.Special Features:
- Great DinnerRestaurantFanVIPDined on 2/22/2014I took my parents during restaurant week and we had a wonderful time. The Rhumaki appetizer was delicious and the dessert was the best that I've had during restaurant week. The manager came to our table and was very friendly and accomodating. I appreciate good service, and his was excellent. I would definitely recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice restaurant week experienceCornyDined on 2/22/2014We enjoyed the setting...perfect view of the downtown lights. Salmon was perfectly cooked, the beef shoulder was tasty. Loved the desserts. We thought the service was good.Special Features:
- So good!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 2/16/2014Everything was delicious but the pear rosemary mimosas were UH-mazing.Special Features:
- Valentine's MenuHaroldDined on 2/14/2014The food presentation was outstanding. The carrot soup, scallops, flank steak and whisky selection at bar were most memorable. Items needing some attention would be the Corvina fish, which was half skin and chewy and the oysters were covered in pickle relish. Service was adequate, but our reservation was after 9pm and maybe our server had already been put through the "wringer". We will come back with friends though, really enjoyed the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never againanonDined on 2/14/2014Very very overpriced and the quality of food and service was really bad. I ordered a fish dish (fillet) and there was a piece of cartilage running down the middle. The service was horrible. The waiter acted surprised when we asked for more bread and as if we were eating at a diner he brought the check while we were eating without us asking for it.
- Brilliant!ZekethegeekDined on 2/14/2014The food was stunning. It's so great to see chef Selby in his element, leading a great team to create really creative and well executed food. I just wish they'd let Dave where his pink blazer for Valentine's day!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- this restaurant is great butvalentinesday07Dined on 2/14/2014this restaurant is great but I learned my lesson not to go on a day when they have a 'special' menu. The items on the valentines day were ok, but I would have rather ordered what I want from the full menu. Not really worth the $55 per person.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Central Bistro & Bar is a gem!NYtransplantVIPDined on 2/12/2014Central Bistro is higher end than a typical neighborhood bar but it is worth it! The name is deceiving, it sounds like a typical neighborhood bar but the food is far from burgers and wings. Creative and inventive appetizers, sides, steaks, and seafood you won't find in a typical bar. New chef is outstanding. And forget beer, the drink list features dozens of small batch bourbons and barrel aged rye and other whiskeys. The view of the Denver skyline is a big feature. Plus, the attention to small details like having mints, mouthwash, and scented lotion in the bathrooms (no attendant with their hand out). I would go back for the amenities in the bathroom alone!Special Features:
- Happy guestfroggie1013VIPDined on 2/8/2014Came in for a quick meal at Central and left satisfied. Good wine and good food makes for a good night. The one complaint is that some items are smaller plates but aren't labeled very well. My gnocchi dish was quite tiny!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice SurprisecknusVIPDined on 2/7/2014Had never been and didn't know what to expect. I had a salad that was super fresh with delicate greens and perfectly cooked, thinly sliced chicken. Love that they serve purified water and local tea. Light and bright space with a great view of downtown.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Goodness!!RedsayerDined on 2/1/2014Wow. Wow. This was such an amazing place to get dinner. I highly recommend it!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gourmet lunch with a viewSJOKVIPDined on 1/31/2014The atmosphere and view at Central have always been fabulous. They've mastered the classic cocktails and have an extensive wine and beer list. But the food had been hit-and-miss until recently. I'm not sure if they finally hit their stride or if they have a new chef, but I've dined here for brunch, lunch, and dinner over the last couple of months and each meal was flawless. No wait for brunch, which is rare in Denver if you want good food. They have a few classics and a few twists on classics. And great prices. For lunch, you can get some of the dinner entrees as smaller portions and at lower prices. That's my style. Dinner entrees are often too big. But the vibrant dinner/late night bar energy is fun. Can't go wrong; can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- One of the bestOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 1/23/2014My husband and I had a late dinner at the Central Bistro. Loved it! Our entrees were fantastic. The duck was cooked to perfection and the faro risotto was rich and creamy. Gnocchi was full of wonderful flavors. Highly recommended. Fresh ingredients. Attentive and friendly staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I still don't quite know howOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 1/18/2014I still don't quite know how I got there because somebody else drove. This was quite the surprise. I have not had such a tasty lamb shank in a long time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.