Carmelina's North End
307 Hanover Street
Boston, MA 02138Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Carmelina's North End
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.carmelinasboston.com/
- Phone: 6177420020
- Hours of Operation:
We are open 7 days a week for lunch and dinner
Sunday - Thursday: 12 noon - 10:30 pm
Friday and Saturday 12 noon - 11 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Mediterranean, Sicilian
- Executive Chef: Damien DiPaola
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Gluten-free Menu, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: Watching our chefs cook in the wide open kitchen
- Cross Street: between Richmond and Prince St
- Public Transit: Haymarket
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: The Parcel 7 garage, which is under a 5 minute walk to us, offers deeply discounted parking with our validation.
They charge 3$ for 3 hrs. Bring us the ticket and we will validate it for you.
If you don't get back to your car within the 3 hours they will charge you the normal rate. This is the link for more info
A word from Carmelina's North End
Intimate Italian dining in the North End. Large open front overlooking all the action on Hanover St, the main street in the North End. Marble tables, brick walls, large Black and White photos of the family in Sicily. This is truly like taking a trip to an Italian restaurant in a little Italian village. The menu offers a combination of the styles of the Chef / Owner's family, and modern inspiration and applications. We are always striving to keep our food fresh, flavorful and true to our culinary traditions.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Carmelina's North End reviews from OpenTable diners
94 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (53)fit for foodies (40)romantic (26)special occasion (17)scenic view (13)notable wine list (12)hot spot (11)great for outdoor dining (9)good for groups (9)great for lunch (7)late-night find (5)kid-friendly (3)vibrant bar scene (2)great for brunch (2)Show More
- Very good meal in the NorthLowellFoodieDined on 1/4/2013Very good meal in the North End that won't break the bank when you want to go out for the night. Not too big a place and the ambiance is pleasant but not memorable. The wine list is a good mix of Italian and other regions so you can find something that pleases everyone.Special Features:
- Good sauces on not so good foodJoeDevDined on 12/23/2012not very good over all, the food was okay the chef did cook the meat to perfection however the veal chop was very fatty, the pasta was undercooked. One of the servers was wearing a tank top her bra straps showing. The back of the menu was a complete list of what you can not do or what they will not do. They were very specific to say no special orders. my wife had to change her menu choice becuase they would not remove the mushroom (before cooking) its their way or no way. I would not go back
- Check it out, it's worth it!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/15/2012Steve the server was excellent, attentive and not over-bearing, let us sit and talk. Food was excellent from the appetizers to the meals. Overall very good experience, it was our first time there. Also does not empty your wallet....Special Features:
- North End TreatOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/13/2012Excellent food. It is our go to place in Boston's North end. With Open Table it is the perfect choice. No lines, no hassle just good times.Special Features:
- Great food!RigsVIPDined on 12/8/2012Other than our server Steven, the night was outstanding. The server left the restaurant with another patron to get coffeee while we were waiting for him to clear our table. The other servers were attentive to our needs as they could get away from their tables. My wife and I loved the food and will return to try other items on the menu.Special Features:
- Quite small and was askedJimBDined on 12/8/2012Quite small and was asked to wait outside in the cold while they got our reserved table ready. We refused and waited a short time inside while they prepped our table. Food was good for two, very good (lobster pasta) for one and fair for one (steak dish that was recommended by the chef). Steak was very well done on one side and rare on the other. I guess this is how to cook a medium rare steak. Stick to the Italian fare and you will be fine.Special Features:
- We made a reservation forOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 12/1/2012We made a reservation for 4 on a Saturday night. When we arrived our table was available and we were able to be seated without any wait. In addition to an interesting wine list, the menu offers a variety of appetizers, pasta dishes and other interesting main courses that will satisfy any palete. The food was very good and the portions are very generous. My advice would be to share an appetizer and save your appetite for the main course. The only concern was that three meals (Main courses) were served at the same time. The other person in our party waited at least 5 mins before there dinner was served. No big issue but something they have to work on. Great experience and we will return.Special Features:
- Great Food and wine! ExcellentprotondoVIPDined on 12/1/2012Great Food and wine! Excellent service by our waiter Steve. Highly recommend!Special Features:
- Food and service were great.Foodie21VIPDined on 12/1/2012Food and service were great. Here's the difficulty with a small restaurant like this in the North End: unless the entire party is checking in, the hostess is reluctant to seat diners. I understand the predicament, but it seems to me that if we've gone to the trouble of making a reservation, 2 of the 4 in the party are there, with an explanation that the 'boys' are finding parking, then we ought to be able to sit down and order wine at the table. This restaurant, like others in the area, do NOT have valet parking. The women in the party were dropped off. The restaurant does not have adequate space to be inside waiting. Eventually the hostess sat us without the guys, but it was not graciously done.
- Many times in North End.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/30/2012Many times in North End. First time Carmelinas. Half our party was delayed at airport, yet Carmelinas accomodated us pleasantly. Waiter was excellent and directed us very well with wine and food. Appetizers and entrees were superb. No dessert, which for us was ok, because Mike's Pastry is right across the street. Very, very good!Special Features:
- Good not GreatJboyVIPDined on 11/28/2012It was okay. Service was just okay, with three of the dinners coming out and then the lady at the table not receiving hers for another 5-7 minutes, the food was cold. I also didn't appreciate the server stating that we could start our meals and the last would be out shortly when it was the lady of the table. Appetizers were good but not inspired. Food was fair, but nothing out of the normal. At the end of the day the establishment aspires to be something special, but in actuality is just a nice olive garden.
- Great Find!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/25/2012The meals were remarkable. The Chicken Cardinale was off the charts. Small and intimate. A great early evening place after shopping downtown. I am sure Friday and Saturday you will need a reservation. That is no problem with Open Table.Special Features:
- Nice North End choice. VeryOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/24/2012Nice North End choice. Very nice if a bit limited menu. Decent wine list. I think prices are reasonable for food quality. Good wait staff as well. Will go back again!Special Features:
- Excellent food! Hands downOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/24/2012Excellent food! Hands down our new favorite in the North End.
- Food was great! Three couplesOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/10/2012Food was great! Three couples out for dinner and we ALL loved our appetizers,salads and meals.Fish was perfect,homemade pasta delicious,and chicken meals to die for! Steven, our waiter was knowledgeable and made some great meal suggestions and even had one meal cooked differently to accomodate my husbands taste. Tight quarters for dining with a larger party. Of note was that we could not be seated while we waited for friends to park the car (although table remained available and empty we had to wait outside).We would have preferred to wait with a bottle of wine and appetizers!!Overall excellent dining experience and even better is it's located across from Cafe Vittoria where we retired after dinner for coffee and Mike's Pasty!GREAT NIGHT!Special Features:
- We arrived on time for ourOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/3/2012We arrived on time for our reservation and our table was ready, but they would not seat us until our third person arrived. So first the hostess asked us to wait by the front door. Then they asked us to wait outside even though our table was empty and it was cold out. The service was ok. Some of the entrees were better than others. Nothing was spectacular. I would not go back.
- Had a very good meal at Carmelina'sOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/25/2012Had a very good meal at Carmelina's. We sat at the counter looking into the open kitchen and watched the chefs work. The lead chef was very meticulous, carefully looking at every ingredient as he added it to the dish and tossing it in the trash if it wasn't perfect. he tasted every dish with a clean spoon. really paying attention to the quality of what he was putting out. We had the Mushroom Risotto appetizer, Gnocci special and the double cut stuffed pork chop. all were very good. the wine list, while not extensive, was very value focused, good wines for good prices. a nice romantic dinner for 2 for under $100.Special Features:
- The experience and food wasOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/23/2012The experience and food was exceptional. Would definitely recommend it and would return.
- Although we had reservationsOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/20/2012Although we had reservations we waited for almost an hour to be seated. Several parties of the same size who appeared to be friends with the management staff but without reservations were seated before us. we would have left but it was a busy Saturday night and trying to get in anywhere else in the North End would have been pointless. The food was okay but not outstanding and service was so/so. We won't be going back.
- Good, well flavored "ItalianOuttaTownerDined on 10/14/2012Good, well flavored "Italian grandmother" style food. Attentive service but not hovering Our water glasses were filled regularly. Would recommend and would return.Special Features:
- Carmelina's - the BEST!invitingVIPDined on 10/6/2012This is our third time dining here. We brought two other couples and everyone LOVED everything about this restaurant. The server, Paul, was incredibly attentive. The atmosphere is fun. Above all else, the food is beyond delicious and reasonable. Carmelina's IS our favorite North End spot! You cannot ever go wrong with this spot. It feels much less "touristy" than many North End restaurants and you are definitely not rushed through your meal.Special Features:
- Very attentive wait staffOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/6/2012Very attentive wait staff and food was good but very heavy handed with garlic, in fact so much so that our clothing still smelled strongly the next day.
- Small but lively. We hadOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/29/2012Small but lively. We had a wonderful meal and staff were extremely friendly. If you have to wait, plan to wait outside, as there is no bar or waiting area inside...typical of the north end.Special Features:
- Nice but breezyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/29/2012The food was very good and the ambiance nice. It is a very small space and we were a party of six with a reservation, but had to wait outside until a table left. Once seated we were right inside the door which every few minutes people were opening to ask about table space and would hang in the door while talking to the hostess. This left us freezing and asking multiple times for the door to be closed. We were a little disappointed to have to leave and find coffee and dessert elsewhere since we were engaged in conversation and having fun with out friends, but it ended up to work out fine with a cafe two doors down that was wonderful.
- The staff was unbelievableOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/1/2012The staff was unbelievable and the food out of this world. My husband and I usually go to Carmelina's alone but we dared to take our 4 children. The wait staff was amazing with them and the kids loved the food. It was a true North End experience. Amazing!Special Features:
- Great tight little spot inOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/19/2012Great tight little spot in the lower and busier end of Hanover St. People watching through the open windows while dining on well prepared food from some great young chefs all with a couple of nice glasses of wine served by some friendly and attentive servers sounds like a great night to me!Special Features: