698 Sawmill River Rd.
Ardsley, NY 10502Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.liniziony.com/
- Phone: 9146935400x
- Hours of Operation:
5:30 to 10:00 pm
5:30 to 11:00 pm
11:30 to 3:30
5pm to 9pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Scott Fratangelo
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wine
A word from L'inizio
We strive to use seasonal,local products and incorporate them into the Italian food we love so much.
We are located at 698 Saw Mill River Road in Ardsley, NY.
We strive to use seasonal,local products and incorporate them into the Italian food we love so much.
We are located at 698 Saw Mill River Road in Ardsley, NY.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
L'inizio - Best Restaurants in Ardsley ›
L'inizio reviews from OpenTable diners
108 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (85)neighborhood gem (81)special occasion (31)romantic (21)great for brunch (15)hot spot (10)great for lunch (8)notable wine list (8)good for groups (7)kid-friendly (6)late-night find (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Great for the neighborhoodChappaqua5423VIPDined on 4/4/2014Terrific restaurant -- different food and everything was delicious. Pastas are large portions and could be half orders (although we also had the whipped ricotta with an extra grilled bread so we might've ordered too much -- we were licking the ricotta off of our spoons.) The bass and chicken were excellent. And we were too full for dessert so just ordered the cookie plate, which was very large. Every table was taken so it was noisy. We will definitely come backSpecial Features:
- So glad we had a reservationNELTDined on 4/4/2014This was a very pleasant surprise especially as the weather was cold and wet and there is very limited parking. Once inside we were greeted with a smile and almost immediately seated with drinks in front of us. The space is narrow and tall with a noise level that is energetic but the food and service make up for everything else. Four of us managed to get through prosciutto, clams, pate and a salad as appetizers followed by pasta and chicken. All were delicious, well presented and served quickly. The service was excellent, someone was there to assist when needed but otherwise was unobtrusive. We will return and recommend to others.Special Features:
- Lovely L'inizioout2eatDined on 4/1/2014Our dinner at L'inizio was lovely. We loved the spot there before and are so happy to have this new local spot for dinner's out nearby. Our little village needs more spots with such high standards. We look forward to returning there for future dinners and "Brunch" on Sunday. The wait staff was attentive and pleasant. We enjoyed the Tuesday "half-price" bottle of wine special. I hope that this spot is here for years to come. Count us as "regulars."Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food is spectacularBrianDined on 4/1/2014The rustic room is comfortable and quaint. The service is attentive and thoughtful. The food is world-class, especially the pastas. I wish I had this restaurant in my neighborhood, and my neighborhood is midtown Manhattan.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mamamiaDined on 3/29/2014Great Food and service. A must for Foodies. Portions are a little small but every morsel deliciousSpecial Features:
- Welcome L'inizio!HudsonDined on 3/29/2014I discovered L'inizio by chance, ate there 2 times last week. Gracious, knowledgable and professional staff, Attractive contemporary/rustic neutral toned decor. The food is delicious, well portioned, creative courses, good wine list. Relaxing atmosphere, good for quiet conversation or convivial group gatherings.Special Features:
- amazing placeardsleypantherVIPDined on 3/28/2014So happy to have this little cool restaurant in our small town. The owners are lovely. And take care of you. The husband is the chef and the wife is the pasty chef and is seating guests. Our table was late and they were lovely and while we weren't bothered at all by this they bought us a drink and gave us different table options. The food was delicious, somtthing for everyone. It is a small cozy place and we were the loud table. A very cool place!Special Features:
- Good food, pleasant staffWheredayawannaeatVIPDined on 3/28/2014We enjoy this little local place. Fun dishes that are a nice step up from the same old menus. Nice and accommodating .Special Features:
- Foodies delight!particularDinerLBVIPDined on 3/27/2014All food was excellently prepared! I tried an excellent celery salad and an octopus appetizer. We had kale salad and pan seared snapper. Everything was perfect....the service and food superb?Special Features:
- Terrific nightEricGDined on 3/22/2014Everybody was terrific from the hostess all the way down to the staff. The food was delicious I couldn't have had a better timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best new restaurant in westchesterSASNYCDined on 3/21/2014Excellent food. Previously owned Spigolo in the city which was also amazing. This place is a great new addition to the westchester restaurant scene.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Welcome additionAjaxonlineDined on 3/21/2014Nice to have such a good restaurant in the neighborhood. Service was slow and could have been more professional but the food was quite enjoyableSpecial Features:
- Welcoming and cozyTinyhDined on 3/21/2014Warm welcome. Delicious ambitious menu. Originally seated in back room but found noise level deafening. Waited for a table in front room, much more ambient noise level. Very accomodating staff. Overall a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love itOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 3/20/2014Loved spigolo and now lucky to have this spot Food always great Best restaurant in the areaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spotKarenmDined on 3/20/2014The food at L'Inizio was fantastic and the service was outstanding! I recommend it with no misgivings.Special Features:
- ExcellentRoubiDined on 3/15/2014We liked L'inizio so much, we went back the following weekend. The food was delicious. The kale sale with sour cherries and goat cheese was excellent, as were the scallop specials. Leave room for dessert. The donuts are incredible. We will become regulars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pricey, but outstanding foodShermanatorDined on 3/14/2014We frequented the last two Italian places that occupied this spot. The first was a dependable, moderately priced, casual, neighborhood "red sauce" place, The second was an attempt to go upscale, but the food was strange. L'inizio is what an upscale Italian restaurant should be. My companion and I are trying to cut down on carbs, so we did not have pasta but everything we had-- (beef from the special menu and duck), was excellent. The service was very professional. The portions are not huge, so this might not be the place for "big eaters." Unfortunately we can't afford to eat here every week. If we could...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it....OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/14/2014A bit pricey but I did love everything about this place. A very special occasion place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small portions; overpricedLelandoVIPDined on 3/14/2014We went to L'inizio hoping that it would be better than the previous Italian restuarants that occupied this space. The staff is friendly and efficient. The first turn off is when I looked at the short wine list. The opening price for a bottle of white was $38. Who do they think they are? This is Ardsley, not Bordeaux or the trendy meatpacking district. I ordered the special pasta which came with microscopic shrimp. The portion itself was tiny, however tasty. My wife had the restaurant week special chicken which she said was delicious. In my opinion, the price value of this restaurant is poor and there are a multitude of better options to choose from. I won't be returning.
- Desserts amazingChefsTipVIPDined on 3/13/2014This dynamic couple have brought beautiful food to little Ardsley. Must try homemade pastas and desserts.Plating beautiful.Special Features:
- Excellent dinner!SuenanVIPDined on 3/12/2014Four of us agreed the food was exceptional........the seasoning was wonderful. Every dish was excellent. We intend to visit again in the near future. A good place for foodies.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Scott and Heather have broughtOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/11/2014Scott and Heather have brought incredible food and outstanding desserts to Westchester. Thank youSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Run, don't walk, to L'inizio!!!luv2eatDined on 3/11/2014This is a small place, very intimate and cozy, a jewel, and is the reason that for the first time in many years I am excited about going out to dinner in Ardsley! It is a wonderful place. Scott, the chef, is amazing. His creations are all delicious. I went there a week ago for the first time, and was so pleased, as were the others in my party. We loved it so much we went back again on Tuesday, during Restaurant Week. The Prix Fixe dinner was just as great as the a la carte the week before. Notable standouts are the Baked Clams and the desserts, especially the Bomboloni. The chicken with polenta was fabulous. I love that they use local farms for their menu too. We are going back next week. You all should make your reservations ASAP!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Burbs Will Never be the Same!BLFMDined on 3/8/2014As any NYC transplant knows, it's very challenging to find great dining outside the city - but L'inizio has changed that for Westchester! The atmosphere is warm and the staff is welcoming and attentive. The food - from appetizers to dessert - far exceeds anything available in Westchester and we have dined quite a bit throughout the county! They offer special cocktails, a great wine list, and even had house-aged Bourbon when we were there. The restaurant has now started brunch on Sundays - too bad we couldn't stay over after our Saturday night dinner for brunch - but we will be back for both! Do not miss this place - reservations will soon be scarce!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were very pleasantly surprised.ERDobbsDined on 3/8/2014We were very pleasantly surprised. It is a small, awkward space but the service was exceedingly friendly and professional, something that can be hit or miss in the suburbs. Most importantly, the food was terrific and interesting - a twist from typical Italian. The salad was fresh, octopus appetizer was excellent. Butternut squash ravioli was very good. Portions are not huge but appropriate and leave room for dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/8/2014This is a delicious fresh food with local ingredients. The mushroom kale pasta is to die for and they offer delicious mixed drinks as they age their own whisky. This is a privately owned restaurant with the old fashioned intimacy of a place that cares. The owners are a husband wife team. They brought in Tim as a server and mixologist who clearly feels he is family. Thought it was his restaurant! Heather is the pastry chef and makes mean dessert donuts. It is a wonderfully accommodating venue.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great New FindPhylBVIPDined on 3/8/2014I definitely would return to try more dishes. The arugula salad was perfectly dressed - not too much, not too little. The two fish dishes that we had were wonderful. Service was friendly and helpful. There are several small parking lots in the area. When you make reservations, ask where some of the lots are located. There is limited street parking.Special Features:
- Nice dining experienceLAURA14VIPDined on 3/7/2014Our first time there. Everything we had was very good, the staff was highly attentive with excellent service. We were in the back room which was quieter than the front area. The menu is limited and supplemented by specials. We both had the specials and each was very good. We split the pate appetizer which was outstanding. Overall it is definitely worth another visit.
- Need to Work Out a Few ThingsbdroseVIPDined on 3/7/2014If they don't fix some things, they won't stay in business. I had been to previous restaurant at that location, Italian Kitchen, several times and liked it much better than my first trip to L'inizio. The restaurant was completely empty when we arrived, and yet switching tables was an effort, not a breeze. Bad start. Then the chairs... they kept the ones Italian Kitchen had, which are TERRIBLE for people with any back issues. But more importantly, the food: The appetizers (Octopus, and a Grilled Sardine Special) were just OK, but TINY portions for a steep price. Very disappointing value, hard not to feel ripped off. For example, the Octopus, they gave maybe 1/2 of the quantity that MP Taverna provides for similar price. Mains OK though.
- I live in the neighborhoodJohnnyADined on 3/6/2014I live in the neighborhood and wanted to try it. The waiter was very friendly and our meals were great! The wine selection is decent too. The homemade breadsticks are unbelievable and addictive. I'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful menu, delicious foodpbf136VIPDined on 3/1/2014Went with friends this Saturday night. Small, intimate setting. Definitely ask for the back room although it can get noisy. Service was excellent. Owner is the hostess, very friendly. Everything was delicious and I would definitely go back very soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ardsley GemShari70Dined on 2/25/2014When we arrived, we were less than enthused with the exterior look of the restaurant. We did like the ambience, once inside, because it's casual and a great bistro- type setting. The waiter was friendly, helpful and attentive. The food blew us away ! It was absolutely delicious; cooked properly and spiced well. We were a table of 4 and all of us had the same raves about our dishes. I had a wonderful salad first and then the organic roast chicken with a side of butternut sqash blended perfectly with other vegatables. We can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, that's all that mattersOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/21/2014I'm a bit biased because I know the owner and most of the staff, but this restaurant is great. It's a small place with alot of character and the cuisine reflects that. In an otherwise perfect night there were only 2 minor hiccups; the noise level when we first arrived was quite high, although it died down later in the night which was much appreciated. In addition, the gnocchi portion seemed to be a bit small, although delicious. Overall I highly recommend this spot for any occasion, it's just the restaurant Ardsley needs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful & WarmOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/21/2014This is a great find with a creative and delicious menu. The pasta with mushroom is outstanding and the steak delicious. Specials were wonderful too. Don't miss the donuts!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfection!EdStDined on 2/21/2014All courses beautifully conceived, prepared, and presented. Wonderful homemade bread and desserts! Attentive friendly service. Can't wait to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Italian foodDiningproVIPDined on 2/19/2014Wife loved the red snapper special. Kids had steak and duck, devoured both. Donuts and chocolate tart finished off great dinner. Definite upgrade from prior restaurant in both food and ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ardsley gem is great againUsuallyHungryVIPDined on 2/16/2014There is not much culinary excellence in our little town, but L'inizio knocks it out of the park. An interesting menu with really careful preparations made for an outstanding experience. It replaces Italian kitchen, which stared strong but crashed big time. I really hope that they can maintain this level.Special Features:
- Delicious food, nice menuFoodie123Dined on 2/14/2014This tiny place is a great neighborhood addition. Try the roasted squash salad and the potatoes. The service could use a little improvement, but this is a new place. Overall, very good meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Run, don't walk!sharonVIPDined on 2/14/2014This is a GREAT new addition to Westchester dining. The awesome comfort food, the excellent service and the quiet, calm decor make for a perfect setting. The brick chicken and the fettuccine with kale and mushrooms are amazing and save room to order the donuts for dessert!Special Features:
- So-soOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/14/2014This was a bit of a disappointment. We were hoping something that replaced Italian Kitchen -- which was so good, by the way, why did it close?? -- would be great but this was not. The food was really average and the space, while always challenging for previous owners, has not been improved. Sad to say, we will not rush back.