698 Sawmill River Rd.
Ardsley, NY 10502Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.liniziony.com/
- Phone: 9146935400x
- Hours of Operation:
5:30 to 10:00 pm
5:30 to 11:00 pm
11:30 to 3:30
5pm to 9pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Scott Fratangelo
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wine
A word from L'inizio
We strive to use seasonal,local products and incorporate them into the Italian food we love so much.
We are located at 698 Saw Mill River Road in Ardsley, NY.
We strive to use seasonal,local products and incorporate them into the Italian food we love so much.
We are located at 698 Saw Mill River Road in Ardsley, NY.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
L'inizio - Best Restaurants in Ardsley ›
L'inizio reviews from OpenTable diners
103 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (80)neighborhood gem (77)special occasion (29)romantic (24)notable wine list (15)great for brunch (14)hot spot (10)good for groups (9)great for lunch (4)kid-friendly (3)late-night find (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- insbroinsbroVIPDined on 5/1/2014Westchester is so very lucky to have a restaurant of this quality. Scott Frantangelo creates the most delicious food and Heather his wife creates the most delicious desserts. The food at L'Inizio is fresh from the farm to your table. If you haven't tried the restaurant yet, you are missing some of the best food in the county!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Extraordinary!EdStDined on 4/30/2014A wonderful addition to the Westchester restaurant scene. Beautiful, creative and delicious dishes from start to finish. The service is attentive and friendly, and the menu is priced reasonably. Altogether terrific!Special Features:
- Lovely SurpriseNormaSDined on 4/26/2014My husband and I had dinner here and were very happy with all. The service was excellent. I had a small taste of one wine I had never heard of and it was not my preference so they made a different recommendation which was perfect and they were so nice about it. The food is not typical southern Italian and is EXCELLENT. I had a salad with arugula and grapes and more that was excellent and we both had fish that was also perfect. The deserts all sounded wonderful but I chose the alfredo ice cream and it was beyond excellent. We will definitely go back. Make a reservation ahead or you may not get in. It is a smallish restaurant and had a large party in the back but we didn't even hear them. Norma SSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice!ArdsleyDinerDined on 4/25/2014L'inizio took over from a short-lived Italian restaurant in a tiny but sweet location. The restaurant still has its odd shape--long and narrow, with a bar separating the two main dining rooms. We ate in the front room and did not have the overwhelming noise people have complained about in the back room. Service was very attentive, not just from our waitress, but also from the host. The menu is somewhat limited but specials flesh it out. The food was all very good, but overall pricey for what we got. Wine list has many reasonably priced bottles and glasses.Special Features:
- AMAZING!FoodReviews4YouVIPDined on 4/24/2014We were frequent diners at Spigolo in NYC and we were so excited when we saw Heather and Scott are now in Westchester with their new restaurant, L'inizio. The food was out of the world. We haven't experienced anything this good in a long time. We definitely will be back and plan on telling everyone we know since it was the BEST meal!Special Features:
- Ssshh. Don't Tell AnyoneCescaFrescaDined on 4/23/2014I almost don't want to share this gem of a restaurant. But I must. Anyone looking for a mid-week restaurant, won't find a better one than L'Inizio. There was only one other table of diners and once they left, it was all ours. The food is outstanding and the service top-notch. We're going back this weekend but you guessed it, there are few openings: very early or very late.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A very pleasant surpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/19/2014My husband and I were disappointed when we found out that Italian Kitchen (of the same location) had closed, but we were very pleasantly surprised when we were able to get a table last minute at L'inizio. Although we couldn't make out any particular "region" of Italian cooking, both the food and wine were delicious. The only downside was the noise level in the back room. There were three large parties seated near us and at times the decibel reached the level of an ambulance siren. Our waiter assured us that a sound specialist was being consulted and the owners planned to remedy the problem. We would certainly return to sample other dishes and will bring our daughters and friends, especially if the sound problem is fixed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed in ArdsleySuSuVIPDined on 4/19/2014Hospitable & welcoming service, however menu very limited especially for anyone counting calories. Restaurant is quaint but noise level is overbearing. Grilled shrimp or shrimp cocktail could be a favorable addition to the menu which someone like me can add to a salad. Additionally at 7:30 pm they ran out of their featured special salad for the evening & the fava beans were not part of the substitute salad offered which was a disappointment. Highly likely I will not return. Too bad... Always in search for a neighborhood gem. Best of luck in succeeding.
- 2nd time even betterpbf136VIPDined on 4/18/2014We have been there 2 times. The menu is wonderful and every morsel is delicious. Great use of vegetables with all of the dishes.Special Features:
- Ardsley's new prizeOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/18/2014Great farm fresh food. Octopus appetizer is amazing. We loved all the pastas. Lovely owners, especially Heather who is also the pastry chef. Relaxing and fun.Special Features:
- great date nightlmsnycVIPDined on 4/18/2014My boyfriend and I went out to get a night to ourselves and this was lovely. It is definitely a NYC caliber restaurant. The portions are small-ish, but that is fine with me. The staff is great. I will definitley be returning.Special Features:
- excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 4/17/2014The restaurant and it's employees are fantastic The food and service are wonderfulSpecial Features:
- Very goodSam35VIPDined on 4/11/2014Food was excellent. Loved that it was a little different. Nice decor & service. Will be backSpecial Features:
- We had been anxious to tryOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/4/2014We had been anxious to try L'inizio since its opening and finally went with friends visiting from out of town. Everything was excellent from the drinks and wine through desert. The staff was friendly, attentive and informative. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for the neighborhoodChappaqua5423VIPDined on 4/4/2014Terrific restaurant -- different food and everything was delicious. Pastas are large portions and could be half orders (although we also had the whipped ricotta with an extra grilled bread so we might've ordered too much -- we were licking the ricotta off of our spoons.) The bass and chicken were excellent. And we were too full for dessert so just ordered the cookie plate, which was very large. Every table was taken so it was noisy. We will definitely come backSpecial Features:
- So glad we had a reservationNELTDined on 4/4/2014This was a very pleasant surprise especially as the weather was cold and wet and there is very limited parking. Once inside we were greeted with a smile and almost immediately seated with drinks in front of us. The space is narrow and tall with a noise level that is energetic but the food and service make up for everything else. Four of us managed to get through prosciutto, clams, pate and a salad as appetizers followed by pasta and chicken. All were delicious, well presented and served quickly. The service was excellent, someone was there to assist when needed but otherwise was unobtrusive. We will return and recommend to others.Special Features:
- Lovely L'inizioout2eatDined on 4/1/2014Our dinner at L'inizio was lovely. We loved the spot there before and are so happy to have this new local spot for dinner's out nearby. Our little village needs more spots with such high standards. We look forward to returning there for future dinners and "Brunch" on Sunday. The wait staff was attentive and pleasant. We enjoyed the Tuesday "half-price" bottle of wine special. I hope that this spot is here for years to come. Count us as "regulars."Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food is spectacularBrianDined on 4/1/2014The rustic room is comfortable and quaint. The service is attentive and thoughtful. The food is world-class, especially the pastas. I wish I had this restaurant in my neighborhood, and my neighborhood is midtown Manhattan.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mamamiaDined on 3/29/2014Great Food and service. A must for Foodies. Portions are a little small but every morsel deliciousSpecial Features:
- Welcome L'inizio!HudsonDined on 3/29/2014I discovered L'inizio by chance, ate there 2 times last week. Gracious, knowledgable and professional staff, Attractive contemporary/rustic neutral toned decor. The food is delicious, well portioned, creative courses, good wine list. Relaxing atmosphere, good for quiet conversation or convivial group gatherings.Special Features:
- amazing placeardsleypantherVIPDined on 3/28/2014So happy to have this little cool restaurant in our small town. The owners are lovely. And take care of you. The husband is the chef and the wife is the pasty chef and is seating guests. Our table was late and they were lovely and while we weren't bothered at all by this they bought us a drink and gave us different table options. The food was delicious, somtthing for everyone. It is a small cozy place and we were the loud table. A very cool place!Special Features:
- Good food, pleasant staffWheredayawannaeatVIPDined on 3/28/2014We enjoy this little local place. Fun dishes that are a nice step up from the same old menus. Nice and accommodating .Special Features:
- Foodies delight!particularDinerLBVIPDined on 3/27/2014All food was excellently prepared! I tried an excellent celery salad and an octopus appetizer. We had kale salad and pan seared snapper. Everything was perfect....the service and food superb?Special Features:
- Terrific nightEricGDined on 3/22/2014Everybody was terrific from the hostess all the way down to the staff. The food was delicious I couldn't have had a better timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best new restaurant in westchesterSASNYCDined on 3/21/2014Excellent food. Previously owned Spigolo in the city which was also amazing. This place is a great new addition to the westchester restaurant scene.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Welcome additionAjaxonlineDined on 3/21/2014Nice to have such a good restaurant in the neighborhood. Service was slow and could have been more professional but the food was quite enjoyableSpecial Features:
- Welcoming and cozyTinyhDined on 3/21/2014Warm welcome. Delicious ambitious menu. Originally seated in back room but found noise level deafening. Waited for a table in front room, much more ambient noise level. Very accomodating staff. Overall a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love itOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 3/20/2014Loved spigolo and now lucky to have this spot Food always great Best restaurant in the areaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spotKarenmDined on 3/20/2014The food at L'Inizio was fantastic and the service was outstanding! I recommend it with no misgivings.Special Features:
- ExcellentRoubiDined on 3/15/2014We liked L'inizio so much, we went back the following weekend. The food was delicious. The kale sale with sour cherries and goat cheese was excellent, as were the scallop specials. Leave room for dessert. The donuts are incredible. We will become regulars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pricey, but outstanding foodShermanatorDined on 3/14/2014We frequented the last two Italian places that occupied this spot. The first was a dependable, moderately priced, casual, neighborhood "red sauce" place, The second was an attempt to go upscale, but the food was strange. L'inizio is what an upscale Italian restaurant should be. My companion and I are trying to cut down on carbs, so we did not have pasta but everything we had-- (beef from the special menu and duck), was excellent. The service was very professional. The portions are not huge, so this might not be the place for "big eaters." Unfortunately we can't afford to eat here every week. If we could...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it....OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/14/2014A bit pricey but I did love everything about this place. A very special occasion place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small portions; overpricedLelandoVIPDined on 3/14/2014We went to L'inizio hoping that it would be better than the previous Italian restuarants that occupied this space. The staff is friendly and efficient. The first turn off is when I looked at the short wine list. The opening price for a bottle of white was $38. Who do they think they are? This is Ardsley, not Bordeaux or the trendy meatpacking district. I ordered the special pasta which came with microscopic shrimp. The portion itself was tiny, however tasty. My wife had the restaurant week special chicken which she said was delicious. In my opinion, the price value of this restaurant is poor and there are a multitude of better options to choose from. I won't be returning.
- Desserts amazingChefsTipVIPDined on 3/13/2014This dynamic couple have brought beautiful food to little Ardsley. Must try homemade pastas and desserts.Plating beautiful.Special Features:
- Excellent dinner!SuenanVIPDined on 3/12/2014Four of us agreed the food was exceptional........the seasoning was wonderful. Every dish was excellent. We intend to visit again in the near future. A good place for foodies.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Scott and Heather have broughtOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/11/2014Scott and Heather have brought incredible food and outstanding desserts to Westchester. Thank youSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Run, don't walk, to L'inizio!!!luv2eatDined on 3/11/2014This is a small place, very intimate and cozy, a jewel, and is the reason that for the first time in many years I am excited about going out to dinner in Ardsley! It is a wonderful place. Scott, the chef, is amazing. His creations are all delicious. I went there a week ago for the first time, and was so pleased, as were the others in my party. We loved it so much we went back again on Tuesday, during Restaurant Week. The Prix Fixe dinner was just as great as the a la carte the week before. Notable standouts are the Baked Clams and the desserts, especially the Bomboloni. The chicken with polenta was fabulous. I love that they use local farms for their menu too. We are going back next week. You all should make your reservations ASAP!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Burbs Will Never be the Same!BLFMDined on 3/8/2014As any NYC transplant knows, it's very challenging to find great dining outside the city - but L'inizio has changed that for Westchester! The atmosphere is warm and the staff is welcoming and attentive. The food - from appetizers to dessert - far exceeds anything available in Westchester and we have dined quite a bit throughout the county! They offer special cocktails, a great wine list, and even had house-aged Bourbon when we were there. The restaurant has now started brunch on Sundays - too bad we couldn't stay over after our Saturday night dinner for brunch - but we will be back for both! Do not miss this place - reservations will soon be scarce!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were very pleasantly surprised.ERDobbsDined on 3/8/2014We were very pleasantly surprised. It is a small, awkward space but the service was exceedingly friendly and professional, something that can be hit or miss in the suburbs. Most importantly, the food was terrific and interesting - a twist from typical Italian. The salad was fresh, octopus appetizer was excellent. Butternut squash ravioli was very good. Portions are not huge but appropriate and leave room for dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/8/2014This is a delicious fresh food with local ingredients. The mushroom kale pasta is to die for and they offer delicious mixed drinks as they age their own whisky. This is a privately owned restaurant with the old fashioned intimacy of a place that cares. The owners are a husband wife team. They brought in Tim as a server and mixologist who clearly feels he is family. Thought it was his restaurant! Heather is the pastry chef and makes mean dessert donuts. It is a wonderfully accommodating venue.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.