698 Sawmill River Rd.
Ardsley, NY 10502Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.liniziony.com/
- Phone: 9146935400x
- Hours of Operation:
5:30 to 10:00 pm
5:30 to 11:00 pm
11:30 to 3:30
5pm to 9pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Scott Fratangelo
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wine
A word from L'inizio
We strive to use seasonal,local products and incorporate them into the Italian food we love so much.
We are located at 698 Saw Mill River Road in Ardsley, NY.
We strive to use seasonal,local products and incorporate them into the Italian food we love so much.
We are located at 698 Saw Mill River Road in Ardsley, NY.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
L'inizio - Best Restaurants in Ardsley ›
L'inizio reviews from OpenTable diners
103 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (80)neighborhood gem (77)special occasion (29)romantic (24)notable wine list (15)great for brunch (14)hot spot (10)good for groups (9)great for lunch (4)kid-friendly (3)late-night find (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Mmmm mmmm good!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/18/2014Wonderful! Food was delicious - (we had arugula salad with figs, grilled octopus, cavatelli and halibut) Love that you can get a small order of pasta! Service friendly, efficient and helpful. The only negative if there really is one is that it can be quite noisy - not a place for quiet conversation but who needs to talk when you are eating and savoring every morsel!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- localsharonVIPDined on 7/16/2014we love this restaurant - the food is fantastic and the service is great. It is truly a neighborhood gem. the kale salad is a must as an appetizer. we had the branzino, which was a special, it was delicious. leave room for the doughnuts! we have been to this restaurant a number of times and it never fails!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeDisgruntledVIPDined on 7/16/2014The food and cocktails are wonderful. Fabulous dessert of chocolate tart. Service was casual but not overly so. We sat in the back room, which seemed less noisy than the front room. My only complaint is that the chairs are uncomfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- aceArmandDined on 7/16/2014Best new restaurant. Everything was just terrific. Don't miss the cheese cake. Prices were reasonable considering the high quality. Will go bacl oftenSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- L'inizio - find in ArsdleyJvenesqVIPDined on 7/13/2014Somewhat reluctant to review this restaurant. But I guess the word is already out; its an outstanding dining experience. . The pasta is as good as any pasta I have had in Italy and trust me i've eaten a lot of pasta in Italy . Main courses were also terrific. Staff is warm and make you feel at home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Minor imperfections and Dessert?luv2enjoyfoodDined on 7/12/2014The main part of the plates were excellent. It is the additions that were poor - burned cauliflower with my Duck which was excellent. The dessert was misnamed - Blueberry cobbler and not berry cobbler would be appropriate - being looking forward toward a very good meal, the dessert was a complete let down.
- Get here before the critics find itAdamGDined on 7/11/2014The food and service are top notch. This was my second visit and it was as good as the first. The woman at the door was friendly and welcoming. My first meal there was a month ago and she recognized me and welcomed me back. The staff was knowledgeable and appropriately attentive. The cocktail specials were quite good and interesting. The chicken liver appetizer was great, and the duck was delicious, w one small criticism is the sauce for the duck while intentionally sweet was a bit oversweet for my taste.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Addition to RivertownsOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/8/2014We ate at L'inizio on a Tuesday night for an anniversary dinner. We took advantage of their half price wine night on Tuesdays bottles of wine are half price). Our server was attentive and sweet. We especially enjoyed the halibut, the pasta with wild mushrooms, and the bread pudding. We sat in the back room. We were pleased to see that the restaurant is attempting to control the noise issue (as anyone who has eaten in the Italian Kitchen space will recognize and as the NYTimes reviewer noted) by putting baffles on the ceiling.Special Features:
- localyokelDined on 7/6/2014From cocktails to appetizers to dessert -- overall a great surprise from this local gem
- We can't wait to go back!OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/3/2014Our dinner was delicious! The service was excellent......the specials were amazing....dessert was to die for! This is a 5 star meal in a cozy neighborhood restaurant . The halibut was great and the homemade donuts are worth the calories! Even my cocktail was a treat! If you want a really special meal......this is the place to go!Special Features:
- Very Good Food Overwhelmed by NoiseDisgruntledVIPDined on 6/28/2014I think that my headline says it all. On a recent Saturday night, the noise level was absolutely painful. I could not hear my boyfriend, who was sitting about six inches away. Unfortunately, despite the great food and friendly staff, I could not recommend this restaurant to friends.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/28/2014Everything we had was excellent. My new favorite place. I can't wait to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2X's a winner!DewmomDined on 6/26/20142nd visit did not disappoint. Flavorful, well prepared and presented food. A light touch with garnishes and sauces. Great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 101 reviews are from the L'inizio reviews archive.
- Best in mid WestchesterChappaqua5423VIPDined on 6/21/2014We absolutely love this restaurant. The food is great and the service, while a little slow, is friendly and accommodating. Fabulous pasta and fish and gelato is delightful. Only criticism is the parking is limited and the restaurant is very noisy. Will definitely returnSpecial Features:
- homecookVIPDined on 6/20/2014My husband and I enjoyed a fabulous meal here last Friday evening. This was our third time dining at L'inizio since the restaurant opened and it was nice to see a full house. The food is consistently excellent and the wait staff was friendly and informative. The hostess, also the pastry chef, was warm and inviting. We remember the Fratangelos from their wonderful former restaurant, Spigolo, in Manhattan and are thrilled that they opened L'inizio in nearby Ardsley!Special Features:
- UniqueAllyVIPDined on 6/19/2014This restaurant is a rare find in Westchester County. The menu offerings are filled with unique ingredients that combine to make vibrant, flavorful dishes that are delicious. The staff is attentive and service is excellent. The owners make you feel welcome from the moment you walk through the door. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great new additionJenniferDined on 6/15/2014We had a fabulous meal at L'inizio. The food was expertly prepared and the service was excellent. This restaurant replaced Italian Kitchen which I liked, but I have to say that I am very happy with the change. The one thing I did not love was the space. The restaurant has two dining sections, connected by a bar area. The rooms do not absorb sound well, unfortunately. When we were there, there were two families seated in the same room as us who let their children scream at the top of their lungs. The waiter was very apologetic and moved us to the very front of the restaurant (where we could STILL hear the screaming). The prospect of paying $30 per entree and not being able to enjoy a quiet dinner will make me think twice about returning.Special Features:
- AmazingTrue2typeDined on 6/15/2014Ate here for the first time on Fathers' Day and was super impressed. Staff were friendly and knowledgable and very kind to my kids. I'm still craving the Chicken Liver Crostini with Rhubarb compote. We eat at Batali's restaurant in Port Chester a lot and this was every bit as good. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Surprising spottellsDined on 6/15/2014I did not know such well prepared food existed in Ardsley. I will be going back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent but noisy local eateryIcook2Dined on 6/13/2014The menu and execution were creative without being "precious" - nor were they different merely for the sake of being different. Every ingredient was well thought out and well placed.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/13/2014Everything was fabulous about L'inizio. Food is fantastic Fun, vibrant atmosphere. Great coctails too. its my new favorite place.!Special Features:
- A neighborhood gemparticularDinerLBVIPDined on 6/12/2014Everything we tried was excellent, baked stuffed clams, pear salad. I had the duck and it was cooked to perfection. Food and service were excellent.Special Features:
- Just amazingDanuDined on 6/11/2014Once again, a unique and amazing meal. Every ingredient is perfection in this wonderful intimate restaurant, and we can not believe that it still gets better each time we come. The squid ink pasta with fresh peas and octopus was a standout. Will be back for sure.Special Features:
- I'll be going backwilburbud2Dined on 6/10/2014L'inizio was recommended by a friend and was it ever a great recommendation! Everything we ate was excellent from the bread and olives to the spectacular pastas. Service was attentive and friendly. The whole family loved the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Restaurant in Westchester!ArdsleyFoodieDined on 6/10/2014And it's not that big of a trek for anyone wanting to come up from Manhattan to try some fabulous food! Scott and Heather are fabulous. I have gone there several times and have yet to taste anything that is less than perfect! The desserts are insane, and I usually NEVER have dessert when I eat out, but I always leave room for them when I go to L'inizio! I adore the Buckwheat Polenta, and the clams appetizer. The food varies with what is in season, and they are strong advocates of Farm to Table, which I believe in and live as I grew up next to a farm and earliest memories of eating my mom's meals made from food obtained at the local farm market. Oh, and let's not forget the great staff (Tim is great) and I love the special cocktails too.Special Features:
- Very EnjoyableFabulousDined on 6/5/2014The food is very good and the staff are all very friendly and willing to please. They make everyone feel as if they are their best customer. Quiet but not too quiet. Enjoyable, very good local Italian restaurant. Small so I would suggest reservations.Special Features:
- Dinner on Sunday June 1stDilemmaDined on 6/1/2014Better than expected. Great food and very cordial service. Will definitely visit again and highly recommend itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fancy meeting you heremusicdocVIPDined on 6/1/2014A welcome addition to Ardsley, sophisticated, yet accessible Italian cuisine in a friendly and welcoming cozy space. Noise can be an issue when there's a crowd, but everyone is having such a good time with the hearty and creative menu that you won't notice. Dishes are well conceived and flavors truly "pop." Don't miss the cheesecake-in-a-jar dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeafeningOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/31/2014Let's start with the fact that the food and the service is great, the welcome was warm and inviting....the decibel level in this restaurant was deafening. I was yelling at my companion and that was during the "quiet" times. i have been to smaller restaurants and to larger restaurants, where more people are in the same space, but i have never had a restaurant as loud as this...i was dissappointed because everything else was wonderful...but i won't yell to speak to a person less than two feet away.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/31/2014Service and food were both very good - was a pleasant find of a restaurant for us - will no doubt go again - well done to L'inizio !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousSlowturtleDined on 5/30/2014We had a loving evening. Food was excellent as well as the service. It was a bit noisy as the front room is small. But it was a good buzz. Wine by the glass is expensive...small pours. We will be back though!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 5/24/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our dining experience. We dine early and there was already a nice crowd. This was our first time at L'inizio and enjoyed our choices for both appetizers and entrees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood placeLaneyVIPDined on 5/22/2014The food and service was quite good yet there was something that would not draw me back here. Although salad and entry were tasty, the food was "fussy" with "try to hard" combo of ingredients. Dinner, while good, was unsatisfying and left us wanting something!
- ExcellentPJC245VIPDined on 5/17/2014Great food and service! Home made pastas were amazing.Special Features:
- So good. If only it were bigger!SuzeVIPDined on 5/16/2014We lamented the loss of Italian Kitchen but it's replacement is even better. The chef has a sure, light hand with marvelous flavors. I learned how to make potato gnocchi in Bologna and never thought I'd taste any as good in the US. Scott Fratangelo's are light, delicious with duck, green olives and Marcone almonds, a unique flavor combination. Our waitress was attentive and enthusiastic. Desserts are totally worth the calories. Now, space is the only problem with the restaurant. There is a narrow front room with limited table space and a larger and noisier back room. There bar area might possibly be expanded, but we watched 3 groups arrive without reservations only to be sadly turned away. So, make a reservation!Special Features:
- Comfortable and charmingsharpe200Dined on 5/11/2014Comfortable ambience with good food. Interesting food combinations. Service tries hard.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/11/2014Not your typical Italian restaurant. The food was fresh and light and even with a full restaurant, the service was quick and attentive. See you there again, soon.Special Features:
- Nice PlaceMarkDined on 5/11/2014We had brunch and it was very nice. The french toast was great.Special Features:
- Great Spot!neenersVIPDined on 5/3/2014This was our first visit to L'Inizio. We had heard so much about the food and couldn't wait to try it. We were seated with our friends in the back room which many reviewers had said was so loud they had asked to be moved - while it was loud, i have to admit we really didn't mind. We'd rather have that than a place where you can hear a pin drop. And the food did not disappoint! The pastas were home made and deliciously prepared! We don't usually order dessert but we decided to try the cinnamon sugar bomboloni and the cheesecake - both great! They also had two special cocktails - a sweet pea martini and a 2 week aged manhattan. We tried both and they were delicious. Can't wait to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/3/2014It is rare to find this level of expertise. The quality of ingredients, the imagination in each dish, the absolute care put into each course! The perfect preparation and presentation of the octopus was an art form! Where can you find rhubarb pie that is neither too sweet not too tart?Special Features: