1600 S. 11th St.
Philadelphia, PA 19148Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.chiarellasristorante.com/
- Phone: 2153346404
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, BYO Liquor, Counter Seating, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Takeout, View
- Special Events: Baby Showers,Rehearsel Dinners,Birthday Parties, and any type of catering you may need, we will be happy to assit with! Choose Chiarella's to make your special event a day you will not forget!
A word from Chiarella's Ristorante
With over 35 years in the restaurant business, Dina Chiarella DeFino and Thomas DeFino have brought the taste of the "original" Chiarella's to South Philadelphia. Come enjoy dishes from the original menu started in Wildwood,NJ by Jimmy Chiarella in 1970,along with our new menu prepared with a new age flair. Bring your favorite bottle of wine, sit in front of the fountain, and enjoy your dinner! Thomas Defino boasts about 30 years of restaurant experience covering every facet of the industry. He assisted in making the Chiarellas dining experience an unparraled one in the Jersey Shore area. He also brings a knowledge of Philadelphians and what they love to Chiarellas. His winning smile and pleasant demeanor should be reason enough to enjoy a trip to Chiarellas.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Chiarella's Ristorante reviews from OpenTable diners
33 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (22)special occasion (13)fit for foodies (12)good for groups (9)romantic (9)late-night find (6)scenic view (5)great for outdoor dining (4)hot spot (4)kid-friendly (2)notable wine list (1)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- We were a party of 4. SomeNat1VIPDined on 2/23/2014We were a party of 4. Some of us liked it and would go back. The others thought isn't was just fair. I guess it depends on what you order.
- good placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/21/2014the food was very good and the people that serve you were very plenty. Was a good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Casual and comfortable diningDSUNDined on 2/20/2014This place really surprised me. Started out with owner Tom, very pleasant and courteous. The restaurant was out of my expectation when I traveled out to Philly this past week. A down to earth pizzeria looking restaurant has welcoming staff and tasty food. I love to go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food like your Grandma madeItalianguruDined on 2/19/2014What a great find this was and the staff is amazing. You're treated like family and feel like your at your grandmothers Sunday dinner. There is no stuffiness and be ready for some good food. Hardest decision was what to order as everything seemed so good. Will be back multiple times. EnjoySpecial Features:
- It's loud but it grows on youOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/15/2014It's small and the regulars are loud, but the food is good and the atmosphere is warm if you're in the right mood. The owners and staff are very nice and make you feel like you're being welcomed into their home. Decently priced entrees too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VDayKevinDDined on 2/14/2014If you're looking for good Italian cuisine, this is the place. Family-run place, awesome. Brought me a more expensive dish then I ordered, began eating it... was then rewarded with my original order to-go, on the house... so I had two meals...... I found this charming/accommodating. Not bad prices, for the quality. Just a really nice place run by nice people. Highly suggested.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good BYOB spotVdayDined on 2/14/2014This is a good BYOB spot in philly. Goid friendly serviceSpecial Features:
- Great for classic ItalianOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2014Food was great. Service was slow but it was Valentine's night and I'm certain a quite a bit busier than usual for them. Still the waiters worked hard and were very friendly. The options were very classic Italian and very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty goodOutoftownersDined on 2/14/2014We enjoyed our evening, especially after realizing that the restaurant was featured on Kitchen Disasters with Gordon Ramsay. Clearly much has improved since then, but some of the problems remained. Large Italian-American entrees doused in tomato sauce still dominate here. A crostini appetizer was a nice attempt at a more sophisticated menu, but didn't altogether succeed. The couple who owned it were squabbling mildly in the bar at the front of the restaurant, so some things haven't changed! But it was pleasant, so I can't complain!Special Features:
- Nice neighborhood BYOBAHP84Dined on 2/14/2014Plenty of South Philly charm, with good food and casual but attentive and friendly service.Special Features:
- Our family enjoyed a wonderfulyumintumDined on 2/8/2014Our family enjoyed a wonderful meal, the owner and waiter were friendly and fun. The waiter recommended the Orecchiette with sausage and broccoli rabe and it was fabulous! Not usually a fan of broccoli rabe but it worked for me in this dish....delicious!! We will be returning to Chiarella's..Special Features:
- Great food and serviceAngeloDined on 1/20/2014I had the best pasta dish ever and my guests very much enjoyed their food. Highly recommend, one of the best.Special Features:
- A diamond in a field of gemsjamaicajamVIPDined on 1/2/2014This white tablecloth BYO was a great find in a wide field of fantastic choices in Passyunk Square. The food was amazing (the orecchiette and sausage was particularly great and the desserts are definitely worth saving space for. Would I go back again? In a heartbeat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First VisitBravoVIPDined on 12/27/2013The appetizers were fair, at best, but the salads and entrees were above average; the desserts were average. You could certainly tell who their regulars were, and we felt a bit like outsiders, but they were kind. Worth the trip, but would probably explore other restaurants before we returned. I think all their great reviews are written by South Philadelphians.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful place to dine!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 12/21/2013We love Chiarella's and keep coming back. Food is great and so are the owners. We feel at home there and enjoy our visits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just Wow!BillCDined on 12/21/2013If there were a sixth star available, I'd give it. From the beginning to the end, every morsel we had was amazing. I am not exaggerating when I say that this was the best restaurant meal I've ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experiencebethVIPDined on 12/14/2013The food was outstanding, incredibly fresh and flavorful. The atmosphere, proprietor's and staff couldn't be more warm and welcoming. We already made our next reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 12/7/2013Great people own this spot! They serve fabulous food, the place is attractive yet homey and comfortable. Very friendly owners and staff. The Chicken Piccatta is amazing. I just love it. Highly recommended. BYOB...this place is a real gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden gemHoosierDined on 11/16/2013Parking was a challenge but the food was terrific and the staff very hard working. Delicious food! Great place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cooked to orderErnestVIPDined on 11/9/2013With the exception of the soup, which could have been eaten with a fork, everything is cooked to order. A great seafood lasagna that was not sitting around in a lasagna pan since 9 that morning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy!FFanelliVIPDined on 11/4/2013First time I was here~ great little neighborhood restaurant ~ food was DELIC! I def recommend the calamari for and appetizer and the chicken with broccoli rabe for dinner!! That was mouthwateringSpecial Features:
- Great South Philly BYOB RestaurantYardleyVIPDined on 11/3/2013The food and service was excellent and can't wait to go there again when I am in the area. My family loved the owner and waiter. Felt like real family and they cater to my mother in law and her great grand kids. A real neighborhood Gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- chiarella's is awesomemikeDined on 10/11/2013From the owner Tommy to the wait staff. Good food and great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- another home runmimiDined on 10/4/2013As usual the food was great and the service was wonderful. I love this place and will return again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great meal!HockeymomDined on 9/21/2013Drove from the 'burbs to So. Philly for a pre-concert dinner and was once again WOW'd by the food and service. I brought three friends with me who don't get into "the city" very much and they were floored by how good/fresh the food was and how the owner and servers made us feel like we were eating at my Italian grandmother's house. Definitely will go again (and again) - love introducing new people to the Chiarella's family!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our server,Marc ,was excellent.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/7/2013Our server,Marc ,was excellent. The food was served promptly and professionally. The BYOB option is a great plus and our wine was handled nicely. The food was tasty and not overpriced. We would return to Chiarella's. The only detractor was the initial inability of our group of 6 to pay by credit cards as 'the restaurant could not establish a connection to use our cards" The restaurant remedied this quickly as we indicated that we did not have sufficient cash and our cards were then made to work.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining experienceStrazDined on 8/26/2013Food and service was great, but noise level was terrible. We went on a Monday. I didn't matter where you sit, room is small.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chiarella's RistoranteKristenDined on 8/24/2013All of the food that we ordered was great! The service was good, and the waiter was very down-to-earth-- the feel was just more friendly than professional. Great for a relaxed, non-pretentious night out. You really feel like you're in "the neighborhood"!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- been wanting to try this restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/5/2013been wanting to try this restaurant for awhile, finally had the opportunity and really enjoyed it. The food was good, the service was good and everyone was friendly....had some good laughs! I highly recommend and I will definitely be going back.Special Features:
- Very enjoyabe dinner. SoupfussyeaterDined on 8/2/2013Very enjoyabe dinner. Soup and appetizers were outstanding. Mains were good, too. Had the veal Gia, tasty and imaginative. Friendly and relaxing, especially in front while viewing street scene. Definitely would return, even though off our beaten track.Special Features:
- Great little byobjmc1026Dined on 7/20/2013had a living social deal for this restaurant never expected to be so good cute little place small wait staff but never had to wait for a thing food was outstanding will definitely go back prices are very reasonable for the delicious food !!!!! This is a must TRY it you will not be disappointing.Special Features:
- Enjoyable classicsPhilguestVIPDined on 7/13/2013We really enjoyed our meal here. The menu is entirely classic Italian dishes -- you don't want to come here for inventive cuisine. But each dish we had was executed VERY well and we left utterly satisfied. Service is casual but friendly and professional. For what you get, the prices seem very reasonable (being a BYOB helps). Our one quibble is that the room was very loud the night we went -- in part because of two very large groups seated at opposite ends of the room. Overall, we enjoyed it a lot and will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Salute' to ChiarellaWaggsDined on 6/17/2013We visited Chiarella's on a Monday evening because we were old friends getting together and knew we would "sit" awhile. Friends had told us the staff never rushes you. "Tom" and staff were great. They sat us, help us choose dishes and gave us a warm welcome and told us to stay as long as we liked. The food was really delicious! Dessert was excellent!! We will definitely revisit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice placePizzaioloDined on 5/12/2013Very very noisy. Pushy waiter attempted to thrust daily specials onto us but was not attentive otherwise. Very good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrible experienceoutandaboutVIPDined on 5/11/2013Horrible service and food was average. I lived in the neighborhood and thought this will be a good place to go, will never go there again.
- Will return...SnowVIPDined on 4/26/2013Second visit. Very pleased with chiarellas. Great food, good service.Special Features:
- Great dinnerCecilleVIPDined on 4/13/20136 of us had a wonderful dinner at Chiarella's Saturday night. The Sole and pasta specials were delicious, the service friendly and efficient. We were not rushed and I loved my cappacino. We will definitely return and the location is such a fun and vibrant part of Philly.Special Features:
- A wonderful experience. GreatErnestVIPDined on 4/6/2013A wonderful experience. Great food and it's not your old time red gravy restaurant. Food cooked to order, nothing was marinated which allowed for certain seasonings to be eliminated.Special Features:
- Real Italian Food at Its Best!!HockeymomDined on 4/4/2013I have been to dozens of restaurants in So. Philly and Chiarella's is the best. The service we received was only topped by the food. I HIGHLY recommend dining here. I know I will be back!!!Special Features:
- Classic Italian cooked toLindaDesVIPDined on 3/30/2013Classic Italian cooked to perfection - from the "fra diavalo" special to the breaded steak to chicken piccata. While we enjoyed all the appetizers we ordered, the eggplant rollatini and seafood-stuffed portabello mushroom were particularly delish.Special Features: