945 2nd Avenue
New York, NY 10022Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cravefishbar.com/
- Phone: 6468959585
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Wednesday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:30pm - 9:00pm
Lunch: Monday-Friday: 11:30am-2pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Wine Bar, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Todd Mitgang
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Crave Fishbar
Crave Fishbar is a vibrant, convivial restaurant in Midtown Manhattan serving an inspired seafood menu from chef Todd Mitgang. An eclectic mix of reclaimed materials and custom made chairs and tables lend a beachy, rustic feel to the space, which houses a 25-foot-long bar where guests can order from the full dinner menu along with cocktails and wine from a mounted bottle display. Approachable, sophisticated dishes feature local seafood, crudos, and meat dishes that are thoughtfully prepared with both familiar and exotic ingredients. Crave Fishbar has taken its place as a neighborhood fixture, providing locals and newcomers alike with a elegant, inviting experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Crave Fishbar reviews from OpenTable diners
211 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (116)neighborhood gem (110)great for outdoor dining (52)vibrant bar scene (45)good for groups (41)romantic (40)great for lunch (34)notable wine list (26)special occasion (22)hot spot (21)great for brunch (16)late-night find (12)scenic view (5)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Great Birthday Dinner SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/17/2014Went here with close friends to celebrate the 30th birthday. With some hesitation, I tried the squid ink spaghetti and absolutely loved it. The service could use a little work though. Took the server 15 minutes to see us before we could order.Special Features:
- Lovely VisitNeighborDined on 5/14/2014I met a friend for dinner at Crave so we could visit and catch up. My friend samples the culinary offerings in New York frequently, and he was very impressed with the menu choices and specials. He settled on a special and I ordered off the menu. Both items were perfectly prepared, delicious andtThe portion size was good. The service was excellent. The server was well versed in the menu items, his suggestions were excellent, and he was attentive without being overbearing. The downstairs, where we were initially seated was noisy, so we asked to be moved upstairs. This was much better suited to conversation and we had an excellent meal and wonderful visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fish FindNYfoodieDined on 5/13/2014This neighborhood gem has an energetic vibe paired with good food and service, a hat trick.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/11/2014It was Mother's Day and busy at the restaurant. We requested seating upstairs and they were very accommodating, yet told us there were tables with children and it was our decision. Since we are two older women we appreciated their consideration and took the table, much to our delight. The food was delicious and the wine was a true find. Overall a terrific experience.Special Features:
- KyleDined on 5/10/2014Been wanting to go here for a long time and finally went with a group of 6 on Saturday night. Ordered a bunch of different appetizers and entrees and shared them with the whole group. Food was delicious and service was superb. Definitely plan on going back (get the squid ink pasta with shrimp).Special Features:
- Well...OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/9/2014Well, our dining experience started out a bit disappointing when we were seated at the bar despite making reservations a week in advance. When we asked to be moved, they found us another table within 15 minutes. The cocktails were fabulous here while we awaited our table. We sat upstairs which I would highly recommend as it is very busy and noisy downstairs - the bar is for focal point. The signature curry lobster was very good (the rice is $7 extra as a side but necessary to fully appreciate the dish). This place is a bit pricy - and I am not convinced that the ambiance warrants the expense given the vast choices in NYC. I did really enjoy the food and would probably return, but I suggest asking for upstairs seating when reserving.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OUR FIRST TIME WILL NOT BE OUR LASTOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/9/2014IT WAS A GREAT PLACE FOR SEAFOOD, OYSTERS AND DRINKS. WE WENT AT HAPPY HOUR(5:00) AND SAT AT THE BAR. WE HAD 5:30 DINNER RESERVATIONS BUT RYAN, BEHIND THE BAR, WAS SO AWESOME THAT WE STAYED THERE FOR OUR DINNER. GREAT AMBIANCE, GREAT FOOD (NOT A BIG MENU, WHICH WE LIKE) AND A NICE COZY FEEL. RYAN AND CAT ANSWERED ALL OUR FOOD QUESTIONS AND DESCRIBED EVERYTHING PERFECTLY. TWAS A MEMORABLE FOOD EXPERIENCE! OH YEAH, AND THE OYSTERS WERE AMAZING!Special Features:
- disappointingnycblondieVIPDined on 5/7/2014The service here was not what I was expecting. We sat down and then didn't see a server for at least 10 minutes. Often we would get our food and not see our server. Not attentive.
- Noisy, crowded and over-pricedgoldiniVIPDined on 5/7/2014I try a lot of fish restaurants and am taking this one off the list.The food is ok but very over-priced for what your'e getting. Also, it's an incredibly noisy mob scene. if you're a 20 something looking for a bustling bar scene, it may work for you. if you're older and want great fish in a nice atmosphere, stay away.
- mww25Dined on 5/6/20142 of us went here for a pre-theatre meal on a Tuesday evening. The bar and restaurant were busy, but never too noisy, and enough staff to provide an excellent service. The menu had some really interesting dishes, and the food was very good - definitely somewhere I'd consider going back to next time I'm in New YorkSpecial Features:
- New to the neighborhoodMaryPDined on 5/5/2014I was very pleased with my lunch at Crave Fishbar... so much so that I went back for dinner a night later. The food is terrific and the atmosphere relaxed and pleasant. At lunch I had the asparagus salad with grilled shrimp- super. Last night I got in just in time for happy hour oysters and shared a full selection with a friend. They were from both east and west coast- fresh and wonderful. I followed on with swordfish with ramps and fava beans. Truly a wonderful dish. My friend had the yellowfin tuna. We were both really happy with our choices. So ALL GOOD. I will definitely be back.Special Features:
- We loved it!BarbaraWMDined on 5/3/2014After I booked Crave Fishbar, my husband noted that he'd almost added "...except seafood" to his original reply of "Anywhere is fine." Ha, proved him wrong! He loved it the most of all of us! Seated promptly in a roomy booth that accommodated all 5 of us with plenty of elbow room. Our waiter was extremely friendly and knowledgable, making excellent recommendations. Food Highlights: Roasted Cauliflower soup with fried clam strips, Plancha Grilled Octopus, John Dory w/ Chana Masala, Lobster Curry (though Thai style, it was very hot and lemongrassy), seared yellowfin tuna. We ALL loved our choices. And, don't miss the dessert - the gelato is enough for 3 and the thing my husband got was amazing, but I can't remember what it was called.Special Features:
- Most innovative seafood in NYC!MartyDined on 4/27/2014Innovative - delicious seafood- they never miss here!Special Features:
- beautiful bruncholdschoolDined on 4/27/2014Sunny morning, sat in the front with friends, sweet laid back service, crafted cocktails, nice plates, time to catch up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fabulous creative foodBirminghamVIPDined on 4/25/2014Our dining experience was delightful from the moment our hostess said , "I have saved you a wonderful table". We had never been to Crave and were excited to try it. It was a delicious dining experience and our waiter was knowledgable , helpful and enthusiastic. Yes, we definitely recommend it and look forward to our next visit.Special Features:
- MWAH!amylynneVIPDined on 4/24/2014Hate to tell everyone how great CRAVE is… because then it will be even more crowded. Food at lunch superb. Asparagus salad worth coming from the far west side: its THAT good. As is the fried oyster sandwich, the olive oil cake, and everything else we sampled. Loved the food and service so much going back in less than a week… and remember getting crosstown in NYC is one of the biggest hassles. If a Westsider is headed to the far east side, you know its gotta be great… and CRAVE is!'Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/22/2014too noisy to fully enjoy the wonderful food. I am writing this to make 50 characters
- cute spotnycdinerVIPDined on 4/21/2014i live in the neighbourhood and have been a few times. definitely love it! service is efficient and friendly. menu is pretty small but well thought out. don't expect traditional dishes or you will be disappointed - everything we tried seemed to have a twist.
- Oysters MidtownDineFineDined on 4/21/2014Exactly as advertised, fish bar. Great oysters and seafood. Laid back and reasonably priced, especially the happy hour oysters!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Easter DinnerliwineloverDined on 4/20/2014What better way to celebrate Easter than dinner at Crave Fish bar? The spring-inspired dishes infused with local ingredients is the perfect deparature from your standard ham and lamb 'easter fare'... although, delicious lamb pops where on the menu. Fluke ceviche tostadas, rice-dusted calamari, local Four Spoke cheese were perfect starters. Wonderful wine complemented the meal - dessert 'beverages' capped off the meal! One of our favorites in the neighborhood... the changing menu does not disappoint!Special Features:
- great raw bar, service, and drinksliv2eatDined on 4/20/2014I recently visited and although I arrived 40 minutes early for my reservation the staff was able to seat us immediately in the upstairs area that has great ambience with a good view of the street below. We ordered a good deal from the raw bar (oysters, crab, shrimp) and everything was fresh and delicious. Our server recommended drinks when we asked and they were strong and tasty. Every member of the staff was friendly and charming and made the overall experience great. This is a spot that I'll definitely return to for my seafood fix. Its rustic charm and quality of service make this a neighborhood gem for me and the inventiveness of the menu (lobster curry!) make this fit for foodies looking to score great seafood and great drinks.Special Features:
- Excellent ExperienceIloveNYDined on 4/20/2014I was in town with my wife, brother and his wife and looked for a seafood restaurant that had a nice selection, a high rating and was local to our hotel. We had an excellent experience on Easter evening with excellent food, service and a great bottles of french Chablis. Don't miss the desserts...amazing! We will definitely return to Crave on our next visit.Special Features:
- Crave Fishbar for excellent Foodbroadwayticketman1Dined on 4/20/2014My wife and I took our family to Crave Fishbar for Easter dinner this past Sunday. I was looking for a different place, menu and atmosphere and Crave Fishbar sounded like it would be great. Indeed, everything about our dining experience was terrific. Different and creative seafood dishes as well as enough choices for those that might not want to have seafood. We'll all come back again to Crave Fishbar again very soon.Special Features:
- recomended by a friendCMPTDined on 4/19/2014We Are Happy we went nice dinner food was great and our reservation was changed with no problem and the table choice was good given we had brought a young child thank you !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great seafood and oyster barHoward53Dined on 4/18/2014Super fresh seafood, very friendly service and excellent oyster Happy Hour.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oyster Happy Hour!JenniferVIPDined on 4/17/2014$1 Oysters. From both the West Coast and the East Coast. No restrictions (except that you can only order two dozen at a time). I've been back multiple times just for this! The normal prices are a little high, but the food is consistently good and the oysters consistently fresh.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Oyster HH in NYC plus moreafrankVIPDined on 4/17/2014Crave Fishbar, quite simply, has the best oyster happy hour in the city. $1 for any of their 10-15 varieties of oysters that they rotate daily. Can't beat the price, freshness, variety, and taste. Stay there for dinner when you go too, the fish is stupid good here. Get anything, I promise it's good. My personal favorites are the Scallop Crudo, Octopus, Lobster Curry, Yellowfin Tuna, and Flounder. They rotate their dishes pretty frequently. Get the cookie with icecream too, sneaky goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Happy Hour Deal!MitziDined on 4/15/2014Thier happy hour from 5 to 7 is a great deal! We got 24 oysters ($1 each - that's the maximum number of oysters you can order), a couple of appetizers and a bottle of sparkling wine (50% off!). It was a steal! we enjoyed it so much and will definetely go back there again.Special Features:
- Great food and great time!!SunnySideUpDined on 4/13/2014The restaurant was very clean. The service was good and the food was excellent!! Will definitely go back when I return to the city. Very cozy.Special Features:
- Great retaurantLindsayVIPDined on 4/12/2014At first when we walked in, we didn't know there was an upstairs seating area. We were seated up there near the bar and it was great. There was even a little outdoor balcony upstairs too. The service was great, helped us choose some drinks and put his input in for our food choices. The appetizers were amazing; some of the best grilled octopus I've had! Entrees were wonderful as well. Some of the reviews say that the food lacked flavor but this was not the case! My date and I both had very flavorful dishes (lobster curry - very spicy! and an Indian-inspired pink snapper). We were too full for dessert! I've definitely go back here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Return after a whileKapsVIPDined on 4/10/2014When Crave first opened I was in the hood often and ate when it opened and several times after. Always good. This was the first real nice ay. Restaurant was packed. Sat my date and I early and we had a leisurely dinner that was just fantastic. Jasson, one of the owners was our server. Great. Let us sample wine before we picked bottle. Service great. Food great. Still top flight after aover a year in business. Only unfortunate part is it is a stretch of 22nd avenue that has a restaurant in every storefront. This place is really a stand alone.Special Features:
- I will returnLouisianaDined on 4/7/2014Our meal was a great surprise as well as this restaurant. I am glad I found it. The service was very good, really and I liked both waiters (there was a shift change?), and my flounder was perfectly cooked. I am originally from Louisiana and so I have definite opinions about seafood and most places in New York City are a disappointment, so take it as a confirmation that this restaurant is going in the right direction when I say I will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great fun restaurant in Midtown.OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/5/2014Great fun restaurant in Midtown. Food is fresh, beautifully prepared, creative, and delicious. Restaurant has a fun vibe. Staff is great and very accommodating. Highly recommendedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot, awful front deskOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 4/4/2014Terrific food and wait staff. They need a pro managing the front desk. It's busy, and they can't handle the flow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/3/2014Excellent food! Loved "Oyster Happy Hour"! Good, attentive service and nice decor. The only negative was the overwhelming noise! Could barely talk. But one cannot havse it all! REcommendation: specify " booth" seating when making reservation for more than two.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sidewalk DiningDahlersVIPDined on 4/3/2014I definitely loved the food and have every intention of going back. However, I am not likely to sit outside on the sidewalk. The tables were crammed and the noise level high. On the plus side, we got a surprise when the bottle of cava we purchased was half off due to happy hour. And the oysters are $1 ea during happy hour. Pleasantly shocked when the bill arrived.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy hour disappointmentEastSideVIPDined on 4/3/2014I live in the neighborhood and have had several good dinners at Crave; I've even recommended to friends over the past few months. Unfortunately, the happy hour experience was a disappointment. I stopped in with three friends at 5:30 during the week for the oyster & wine happy hour. It was quiet, plenty of open tables. Once our server realized we weren't necessarily ordering dinner, he became VERY inattentive and honestly downright rude. It's not an inexpensive place; we sat for a little over an hour and our bill was $130, for happy hour. It was therefore shocking to be treated like a second class customer and I don't think I'll be back.
- Crave FishbarOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/1/2014Good, but not great food. Nice atmosphere. Friendly service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This was my first time thereYummy325VIPDined on 4/1/2014This was my first time there and I will be making this a regular spot!! The staff is fabulous and the food is beyond wonderful!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh but only fairFresserVIPDined on 3/31/2014Read the reviews and wanted to try. Sat downstairs and was comfortable. The food --- fresh but no flavor. Mussels ( a special) were plump and fresh but had no flavor at all. The broth and vegetables were bland. The entrees were without any spice ( salt, pepper,, lemon, garlic -- simple stuff ).. Maybe Monday evening the real chefs were off. Would not recommend this place.