945 2nd Avenue
New York, NY 10022Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cravefishbar.com/
- Phone: 6468959585
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Wednesday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:30pm - 9:00pm
Lunch: Monday-Friday: 11:30am-2pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Wine Bar, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Todd Mitgang
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Crave Fishbar
Crave Fishbar is a vibrant, convivial restaurant in Midtown Manhattan serving an inspired seafood menu from chef Todd Mitgang. An eclectic mix of reclaimed materials and custom made chairs and tables lend a beachy, rustic feel to the space, which houses a 25-foot-long bar where guests can order from the full dinner menu along with cocktails and wine from a mounted bottle display. Approachable, sophisticated dishes feature local seafood, crudos, and meat dishes that are thoughtfully prepared with both familiar and exotic ingredients. Crave Fishbar has taken its place as a neighborhood fixture, providing locals and newcomers alike with a elegant, inviting experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Crave Fishbar reviews from OpenTable diners
216 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (123)fit for foodies (116)good for groups (43)vibrant bar scene (42)great for outdoor dining (42)great for lunch (36)romantic (35)hot spot (27)notable wine list (25)special occasion (21)great for brunch (13)late-night find (12)scenic view (4)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- Great spot!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/3/2014Took my teenager daughter here for father/daughter date night. We had a great time. Oysters were fantastic, grilled octopus was flavorful and tender. Will def go back on a real date. Well done!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fresh creative fooddinearoundVIPDined on 7/2/2014I had a delicious lunch here. The fish tacos are excellent and my friend had a great sandwich. The restaurant was bustling and had some larger groups for lunch but we received excellent service. Would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great seafoodamatuerchefVIPDined on 6/30/2014warm friendly service is only surpassed by fresh, cold oysters. The tuna tartar was light and flavorful and was were the spicy scallops. main dishes did not disappoint as the swordfish was thick and moist and the lobster curry was spicy but not overbearing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Maximum amounts should be by personZstarDined on 6/30/2014Everything is delicious, but they have a maximum amount of oysters/alcohol you can order during happy hour no matter the size of your party. we had 6 people and couldn't even get 6 oysters per person, which is standard, or a full glass of alcohol per person since you can only get one bottle at a time. It was a bit annoying. A person alone could get 2 dozen and a whole bottle to themselves, which is more the norm there, since large parties have a harder time enjoying the happy hour. Will still go back as the oysters and bubbly are delish.
- good food, ridiculously bad servicefoodlover93Dined on 6/27/2014-we had a reservatiom but it took forever for them to get us seated -took 45min for our oysters to get there -when we asked about our food, the dude's only response was *shrug* "happy hour" -very very bad serviceSpecial Features:
- The following 380 reviews are from the Crave Fishbar reviews archive.
- Love the fishC4times3VIPDined on 6/21/2014Excellent fish restaurant wit nautical decor. Excellent service. Tables area little tight.Special Features:
- Delicious oystersJenniferVIPDined on 6/18/2014Wide variety of fresh, succulent oysters. The options have changed every time I have returned - this is a restaurant that gets the best and freshest oysters available daily and offers them up for $1 a pop during happy hour. I have returned several times for this reason alone!Special Features:
- Food is worth ithankhnyDined on 6/15/2014Small table, low light, ok wines by the glass and the lobster curry was outstanding..Special Features:
- Crave is incredible!CiciVIPDined on 6/15/2014We had Sunday brunch (Fathers Day) there and all four of us loved it. The food was creative and very tasty and the service was the best! They have a very small patio but a great place to people watch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous fish story!!!!FrequentfoodieDined on 6/12/2014I was told about this restaurant and decided to try it. Being from Boston, the Capitol of fishdom, I was skeptical ..... But this restaurant was absolutely amazing. Great menu. Great service. Impeccable presentation - perfectly cooked. Nice wine and beer list. Never felt rushed. A true 11 on a scale from 1 to 10!!!!!!! Go there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very GoodDaddyDined on 6/9/2014Monday oyster and wine specials were fantastic. Great spot to bring a girl on a date. Staff is accomodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Different in a great wayNyfoodieVIPDined on 6/8/2014All of the fish had great/different flavor profiles! Everything was tasty and fresh. My family and I enjoyed it all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday nightLocalVIPDined on 6/7/2014Food was creative, fresh, and delicious. Wait staff and manager was very attentive. Will definitely come back for more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food great locationKarenDined on 6/7/2014Was in town for business but was able to sneak away for dinner with an old friend. It was the perfect spot. We enjoyed the food and our outside table was perfect for taking in the view and catching up without a lot of noise or crowd. I will definitely go there again when I am in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bland!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/5/2014I ordered a fish dish that was very bland….a big disappointment! The last time I dined here I thought the food was very good but this time not so much. The octopus appetizer was good, not great and my friend's snapper was better than my merlouza. Overall I wouldn't go back.
- Fab fish and moreNikiVIPDined on 6/4/2014This creative kitchen turns out fabulous fish as well as noodle dishes with an Asian flare and the best fried chicken leg I've had in some time. Great reasonably priced wine list and a friendly staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spotJosefKVIPDined on 5/28/2014Nice selection of seafood and raw bar in particular. Pleasant setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful unique dishesEmJBDined on 5/24/2014This was the best meal I have had in a long time. I can't eat wheat and there were several gluten free dishes that were amazing. The seafood was fresh and prepared perfectly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceDuxluckDined on 5/23/2014Brian and the team at Crave were great!! Oyster happy hour is a winner(try the Island Creek!!)! Explore the entire menu as there are some tasty finds and surprises. We left there very satisfied and are looking forward to returning soon.Special Features:
- Good for business lucnhct214Dined on 5/20/2014Great prix-fixe - $25 for an appetizer and meal. Staff was slow though and restaurant was not busy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, but LOUDbanditaVIPDined on 5/19/2014My friend and I enjoyed our entrees - the mussels were plump and very tasty. Would go again if I could sit at the outside tables. Inside in the back it was really loud, difficult to hold a conversation.
- Creative and different seafoodAnneVTVIPDined on 5/17/2014We were looking for a place close by our hotel and this had nice reviews, so we took a chance. We were really pleased with the menu, especially the cauliflower soup and the swordfish. We will be back again the next time we are in the city.Special Features:
- Great Birthday Dinner SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/17/2014Went here with close friends to celebrate the 30th birthday. With some hesitation, I tried the squid ink spaghetti and absolutely loved it. The service could use a little work though. Took the server 15 minutes to see us before we could order.Special Features:
- Lovely VisitNeighborDined on 5/14/2014I met a friend for dinner at Crave so we could visit and catch up. My friend samples the culinary offerings in New York frequently, and he was very impressed with the menu choices and specials. He settled on a special and I ordered off the menu. Both items were perfectly prepared, delicious andtThe portion size was good. The service was excellent. The server was well versed in the menu items, his suggestions were excellent, and he was attentive without being overbearing. The downstairs, where we were initially seated was noisy, so we asked to be moved upstairs. This was much better suited to conversation and we had an excellent meal and wonderful visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fish FindNYfoodieDined on 5/13/2014This neighborhood gem has an energetic vibe paired with good food and service, a hat trick.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/11/2014It was Mother's Day and busy at the restaurant. We requested seating upstairs and they were very accommodating, yet told us there were tables with children and it was our decision. Since we are two older women we appreciated their consideration and took the table, much to our delight. The food was delicious and the wine was a true find. Overall a terrific experience.Special Features:
- KyleDined on 5/10/2014Been wanting to go here for a long time and finally went with a group of 6 on Saturday night. Ordered a bunch of different appetizers and entrees and shared them with the whole group. Food was delicious and service was superb. Definitely plan on going back (get the squid ink pasta with shrimp).Special Features:
- Well...OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/9/2014Well, our dining experience started out a bit disappointing when we were seated at the bar despite making reservations a week in advance. When we asked to be moved, they found us another table within 15 minutes. The cocktails were fabulous here while we awaited our table. We sat upstairs which I would highly recommend as it is very busy and noisy downstairs - the bar is for focal point. The signature curry lobster was very good (the rice is $7 extra as a side but necessary to fully appreciate the dish). This place is a bit pricy - and I am not convinced that the ambiance warrants the expense given the vast choices in NYC. I did really enjoy the food and would probably return, but I suggest asking for upstairs seating when reserving.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OUR FIRST TIME WILL NOT BE OUR LASTOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/9/2014IT WAS A GREAT PLACE FOR SEAFOOD, OYSTERS AND DRINKS. WE WENT AT HAPPY HOUR(5:00) AND SAT AT THE BAR. WE HAD 5:30 DINNER RESERVATIONS BUT RYAN, BEHIND THE BAR, WAS SO AWESOME THAT WE STAYED THERE FOR OUR DINNER. GREAT AMBIANCE, GREAT FOOD (NOT A BIG MENU, WHICH WE LIKE) AND A NICE COZY FEEL. RYAN AND CAT ANSWERED ALL OUR FOOD QUESTIONS AND DESCRIBED EVERYTHING PERFECTLY. TWAS A MEMORABLE FOOD EXPERIENCE! OH YEAH, AND THE OYSTERS WERE AMAZING!Special Features:
- disappointingnycblondieVIPDined on 5/7/2014The service here was not what I was expecting. We sat down and then didn't see a server for at least 10 minutes. Often we would get our food and not see our server. Not attentive.
- Noisy, crowded and over-pricedgoldiniVIPDined on 5/7/2014I try a lot of fish restaurants and am taking this one off the list.The food is ok but very over-priced for what your'e getting. Also, it's an incredibly noisy mob scene. if you're a 20 something looking for a bustling bar scene, it may work for you. if you're older and want great fish in a nice atmosphere, stay away.
- mww25Dined on 5/6/20142 of us went here for a pre-theatre meal on a Tuesday evening. The bar and restaurant were busy, but never too noisy, and enough staff to provide an excellent service. The menu had some really interesting dishes, and the food was very good - definitely somewhere I'd consider going back to next time I'm in New YorkSpecial Features:
- New to the neighborhoodMaryPDined on 5/5/2014I was very pleased with my lunch at Crave Fishbar... so much so that I went back for dinner a night later. The food is terrific and the atmosphere relaxed and pleasant. At lunch I had the asparagus salad with grilled shrimp- super. Last night I got in just in time for happy hour oysters and shared a full selection with a friend. They were from both east and west coast- fresh and wonderful. I followed on with swordfish with ramps and fava beans. Truly a wonderful dish. My friend had the yellowfin tuna. We were both really happy with our choices. So ALL GOOD. I will definitely be back.Special Features:
- We loved it!BarbaraWMDined on 5/3/2014After I booked Crave Fishbar, my husband noted that he'd almost added "...except seafood" to his original reply of "Anywhere is fine." Ha, proved him wrong! He loved it the most of all of us! Seated promptly in a roomy booth that accommodated all 5 of us with plenty of elbow room. Our waiter was extremely friendly and knowledgable, making excellent recommendations. Food Highlights: Roasted Cauliflower soup with fried clam strips, Plancha Grilled Octopus, John Dory w/ Chana Masala, Lobster Curry (though Thai style, it was very hot and lemongrassy), seared yellowfin tuna. We ALL loved our choices. And, don't miss the dessert - the gelato is enough for 3 and the thing my husband got was amazing, but I can't remember what it was called.Special Features:
- Most innovative seafood in NYC!MartyDined on 4/27/2014Innovative - delicious seafood- they never miss here!Special Features:
- beautiful bruncholdschoolDined on 4/27/2014Sunny morning, sat in the front with friends, sweet laid back service, crafted cocktails, nice plates, time to catch up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fabulous creative foodBirminghamVIPDined on 4/25/2014Our dining experience was delightful from the moment our hostess said , "I have saved you a wonderful table". We had never been to Crave and were excited to try it. It was a delicious dining experience and our waiter was knowledgable , helpful and enthusiastic. Yes, we definitely recommend it and look forward to our next visit.Special Features:
- MWAH!amylynneVIPDined on 4/24/2014Hate to tell everyone how great CRAVE is… because then it will be even more crowded. Food at lunch superb. Asparagus salad worth coming from the far west side: its THAT good. As is the fried oyster sandwich, the olive oil cake, and everything else we sampled. Loved the food and service so much going back in less than a week… and remember getting crosstown in NYC is one of the biggest hassles. If a Westsider is headed to the far east side, you know its gotta be great… and CRAVE is!'Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/22/2014too noisy to fully enjoy the wonderful food. I am writing this to make 50 characters
- cute spotnycdinerVIPDined on 4/21/2014i live in the neighbourhood and have been a few times. definitely love it! service is efficient and friendly. menu is pretty small but well thought out. don't expect traditional dishes or you will be disappointed - everything we tried seemed to have a twist.