333 Fulton Street
San Francisco, CA 94102Neighborhood:
Civic Center / Hayes Valley / Van Ness
ScandinavianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.plajrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 4158638400x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sun-Monday 5:00PM - 8:15PM
Tuesday-Thurs 5:00PM - 10:15PM
Fri-Sat 5:00PM - 10:30PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, Californian, Scandinavian
- Executive Chef: Roberth Sundell
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact Andrea Sundell. Subject to availability.
- Private Party Contact: Andrea Sundell 4152948925x
A word from PLAJ
Introducing PLÄJ, a new innovative concept from Swedish born Owner/Chef Roberth Sundell where California fare and Scandinavian flavors become one. PLÄJ is a celebration of local and seasonal ingredients inspired by the rustic flavors and simple elegance of Scandinavian cusine. PLÄJ embodies the soul of Scandinavia,the place to share the experience of new flavors, great wine, Scandinavian beer, and cocktails.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
PLAJ reviews from OpenTable diners
223 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (155)special occasion (125)romantic (107)neighborhood gem (79)good for groups (13)notable wine list (10)vibrant bar scene (8)hot spot (7)late-night find (7)great for brunch (2)great for lunch (1)scenic view (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- fabulous Scandinavian gourmettaylorDined on 7/26/2014Plaj is a gem...incredible menu--great taste, beautiful presentation, and lovely venue. The Chef's Tasting Menu with beverage pairing gives you an appreciation for the wonderful diversity of the Scandinavian menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food for foodiesdeannaVIPDined on 7/26/2014We loved the food.We ordered a variety and it did not disappoint.service is superb. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hit or missJustinDined on 7/25/2014Plaj was a nice change to what I often eat on Friday nights, but not every dish was excellent. I will say that the day boat scallops were superbly cooked, possessed an excellent texture, and the flavor of the fish and sauce worked well together. The halibut itself was also a nice dish, though the sauces overpowered with in flavor and mouth-feel. In sum, I wouldn't say Plaj is worth the price, but it wasn't a bad place to try.Special Features:
- Awesome Scandinavian Cuisine!NobuVIPDined on 7/25/2014This is one of my favorite restaurants in SF. Especially love their Potato Dumpling and Pork Belly. Their In-House Bread is also very good!! Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Great Plaj ExperienceEastBayGuyVIPDined on 7/25/2014Plaj is a great experience. Convenient to the Opera House, Davies Symphony Hall and, when back in business, Herbst Auditorium. Plates are small (but pricey!) and meant to be shared. The menu is well laid out so you can work your way through the garden, the sea and the pasture. We've sampled probably a dozen different dishes with high marks for all. Desserts, which can be risky elsewhere, were also delicious! Everything was beautifully plated and our service from Chloe was attentive. Ambiance is definitely more old world than modern Scandinavian but very pleasant and relaxed none the less. We've been twice now and will definitely return (when we've saved enough krone).Special Features:
- Fantastic!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/24/2014I recently dined at Plaj for the first time. It was a flawless experience. The food was creative and authentic. The service really terrific; Chloe our server provided input and great recommendations. I would return without hesitation. A really sublime experiences.Special Features:
- ONE OF MY FAVORITE RESTAURANTSIlovetoeatVIPDined on 7/22/2014If and when I go out to dinner, usually before the Opera, the Ballet, or the Symphony I eat here or at Jardiniere. Why go anywhere else? The burrata salad is one of my ALL time favorites! Every meal has been fantastic!Special Features:
- Good experience!andyDined on 7/21/2014I like Plaj a lot; it's the 4th or 5th time I'm here (in 6 months hehe), and it's always so nice. Definitely my favorite restaurant in town; I like the cocktails and the Scandinavian cheese plates. This time I've tried the salmon for the appetizer and I was really happy with it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If you like fishYumminessDined on 7/18/2014What they do with herring is spectacular. Their homemade infused vodka was a delightful accompaniment to their fish dishes, and it’s definitely worth trying. They also have freshly baked bread, pumpernickel I think (anyway, it was dark and fragrant). You’ll need plenty of their freshly baked bread to sop up the amazing sauces that accompany each meticulously prepared dish. We had a wonderful time at Plaj. Overall: extremely yummy food and great staff which made the evening fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousSoGoodx10000Dined on 7/17/2014Wonderful experience! Will be back! The service was excellent from everyone. Creative drinks. Bar service was knowledgeable, quick, and tasty. The wait staff was thoughtful, brilliant, and fun. James was spectacular. And James's relief waitress was kind and friendly. Now the food, it was out of this world. Nothing matches the creativeness, and out of the box menu like this any where else in the City. Different yet delicious, multilayered, and simply brilliant. The decor and furniture was beautiful and comfortable. Every last detail was noticeable and appreciated. I hesitate writing this rave review because then people will find out and I won't be able to get reservations the next time I dine here. Thank you Plaj!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- terrific as alwaysRobinWVIPDined on 7/14/2014Hadn't been back to Plaj in a while and the meal made me wonder why not. As usual everything was delicious and different from most S F restaurants. Great service and we could hear each other. Maybe my favorite restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gorgeous food and experienceSFStacyVIPDined on 7/6/2014This is fresh, interesting, delicious food in a great atmosphere, good service and great cocktails. Very much enjoyed it and highly recommended. We ate family style and loved everything, particularly the charcuterie plate (oh, that apricot jam with it was amazing) and the gnocchi. YUM!Special Features:
- To PlayOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/6/2014My husband and I enjoyed our after opera dinner at Plaj. The food was excellent, the service was outstanding and I found the ambience very conducive to actually having a conversation with my husband (without raising my voice) even though we were in close quarters to another couple. The wait staff (unfortunately, I've forgotten his name but not because he was not memorable!), was very patient in explaining each of the dishes and allowing us to order separate dishes since we did not know how hungry we would be after a dish.Special Features:
- Beautiful FoodTheLLVIPDined on 7/5/2014Great intimate place tucked into the back of a small hotel in the Civic Center/Hayes Valley area. The menu serves a wide variety if Scandinavian influenced and inspired dishes. So many great items I had a hard time choosing. I ended up ordering the tasting menu, which I usually don't, as there will be a couple great items and a couple missed. Not here. We also ordered the charcuterie plate, which was very nice and the pickled onions particularly so. For mains I had the venison which was cooked a perfect medium rare and the squab which was also beautifully cooked. Looking back at the meal, the things that stand out most however are the vegetables. Each presentation was FRESH and amazing. So flavorful. The service matched the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for pre-preformanceLeslieDined on 7/5/2014We dined here before the Opera. It is a perfect location -- just across the street and about half a block. We arrived early for our reservation and fortunately were able to be seated in just a few minutes. They have an excellent selection of Scandinavian liquor including my favorite Icelandic vodka. Food is Scandinavian. My venison was super. Will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Interesting food, pre-theater find!MelloBVIPDined on 7/5/2014Plaj has several things going for it: interesting, well executed Scandinavian cuisine, great location for dinner before the symphony or opera, and friendly, well meaning service. We had a very good dinner before the opera and enjoyed all of our courses. As many reviews state, the menu is interesting and our waitress helped walk us through order. There are several interesting wines by the glass as well as a small list of wines by the bottle. The food was very good - portions are a bit unpredictable - the salads were quite large and even the entree sized meat and fish plates were somewhat small. The desserts are heaven (strawberry rhubarb pie - fantastic!). For me, the misses were the sometimes distracted service and the NOISE!Special Features:
- Scandinavian WinnerlabobDined on 7/5/2014Wonderful dinner - great, creative cuisine with outstanding service.Special Features:
- Going back soon!lah12345Dined on 7/3/2014I was just sorry that I had to make a run for the opera. The food is interesting and very well prepared, and the service was excellent. It is a very California-influenced Scandinavian and I think that is my one quibble with the place. The room is dark wood cozy. I want to go back when I have a few hours to spend sampling the many interesting dishes, maybe back at that potentially communal table. I can also totally picture being here at the tiny bar area, sipping lovely distilled spirits and tossing back bits of the lovely herring preparations. It would also be a lovely romantic night out, I think (I was not there for romance this time).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, disappointing serviceBKB38VIPDined on 7/3/2014We reserved here for a pre-show dinner. The menu is interesting and unusual and once we received our food, we enjoyed it - but the restaurant was unpleasantly noisy and the service was poor. I had to get up from the table to ask the hostess several times to get someone to bring something - bread, salt, new fork, etc. The server spent too much time apologizing and not enough time being alert to diners' needs. In the end, we were nearly late for the curtain. We won't be back.Special Features:
- GustavVIPDined on 7/3/2014Fantastic food, fabulous service and will definitely returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PeggyDined on 6/29/2014Close to opera house, symphony, Herbst. Valet parkingSpecial Features:
- Great Scandinavian foodRagnarLBDined on 6/28/2014I'm Scandinavian and found Plaj great. Good mix of "comfort food" from back home and very contemporary remixes of old Scandinavian dishes, drinks and sides. All the food we had was amazing. Will definitely return when in SF next time.Special Features:
- Stylish place, interesting cuisineCarolDined on 6/27/2014The ambiance is kind of old world with modern updates. It was a little warm and stuffy though. The food at Plaj was ... ummm ... interesting. We had the grilled octopus salad, which was excellent, although the presentation could have been better. Also, the house-smoked salmon, which was served warm and delicious. I had the saddle of venison, which was excellent, though more medium than rare. My wife had the Swedish meatballs, which were very good, although we both agreed that her home-cooked version is a little better. We also tried the house-made classic aquavit. Aquavit is growing on me and this was a very nice example. Strawberry rhubarb pie was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall: ExcellentMikeDined on 6/26/2014Pleasant space. Efficient service. Interesting bar menu including multiple aqua vitae. Small plates approach worked well for our group. The bread was over the top. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- WonderfulR2OaklandVIPDined on 6/25/2014We ate here before the Opera. The service was perfect and the food was interesting and delicious.Special Features:
- Going back!Roo2614Dined on 6/24/2014Plaj was a wonderful surprise to us! Unfamiliar with Scandavavian food, we did not know what to expect. Our server was pleasant and explained perfectly the menu. The food was simply delicious! We had one dish that it was a bit familiar, the Swedish meatballs. Well, this dish was nothing like we had before. The house special drinks are worth trying. The deserts quite " high end"!! We also found the prices reasonable. We are going back, and we recommend Plaj to our friends and family.Special Features:
- Nice placeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/24/2014Interesting Scandinavian food (quite good, actually), convenient location for SF Opera-goers, service cordial but slow. Only off note was the host/seater, who was so casually dressed at first I thought he was a busboy. Was a bit jarring in an otherwise upscale setting.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced and not worth itthansVIPDined on 6/21/2014The prices here are very high for what you get. The lobster dish which everyone recommends has 4 small pieces of lobster. When we asked about it, our server said lobster is expensive. The herring plate was just as small with 3 small pieces. Our server said she doesn't make up the plates. We would never come back! They have an answer for every question and the answers are poor!
- Dinner in the InnBobHoodRiverDined on 6/19/2014We stayed at the Inn at the Opera and had dinner at PLAJ; which is located in the Inn. Everything about the restaurant was first rate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jeffVIPDined on 6/19/2014Fabulous food, but wait staff seems disengaged and distant.Special Features:
- pre-opera dinnerlovebitesDined on 6/18/2014great location to grab an early dinner before catching a show. the staff is very mindful of getting you to your show on time. waitress made great recommendations.Special Features:
- ExoticItismeDined on 6/18/2014We went to Plaj before to opera. It was lovely. The food was very interesting with a long menu for unusual. They were very nice and attentive to our time needs. Pretty inside. SSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful & DifferentDeeJayDined on 6/18/2014It's always fun to go to a restaurant that serves food that is different from the norm. Some Scandinavian ingredients, like Cloudberries, I've never experienced before. Great flavors, a bit fussy, small portions. Close to SFs performing arts, it's well located for attendees. I'll tell you, though, it really puts a damper on the experience if your waitress argues with you over what you ordered. She didn't write anything down, had a bit of a superior attitude, and when we reminded her that we'd ordered two beet salads, not one, she got huffy and told us no we didn't -- and stuck to her guns. Can't remember what it's called, but there was a meringue, berry ice cream, and chocolate cake dessert which was great to look at and tasted even better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pre-Opera diningJohnDined on 6/18/20145:00 dinner to be able to languish over the experience; we departed at 7:20 to make a 7:30 curtain! Wow! We took forever deciding what to eat as the menu offered so many unique dishes and wonderful combinations. Fortunately we had two incredible cocktails to assist us. Our server was most helpful with explanations and suggestions. The sauces and flavor combinations were wonderful. We had 2 cocktails, 4 glasses of wine, 4 plates and 2 desserts for $100 a person. I thought it was an unbelievable bargain for the quality. I look forward to eating my way through that menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a pleasant experienceMenloManVIPDined on 6/17/2014There is no way to understand what to order..small plate portions are too variable. The food is unremarkable, especially for the excessive cost. Service is lame and /or nonexistent. I cannot imagine why this place attracts customers.
- Outstanding!FoodDined on 6/15/2014Every dish is a flavor treat. Plates are small so you can try several which we would recommend. There are many items on the menu that you would not be able to get anywhere else and each is perfectly put together.Special Features:
- Different cuisineDior212Dined on 6/14/2014The food selection is very different from your average restaurant. Everything that we ordered was delicious. Highly recommend for the adventurous foodie.Special Features:
- So sad -- won't be backJeanneVIPDined on 6/14/2014This restaurant has such potential to be a favorite for civic center activities. Food is different and good. The wait staff is nice, though harried and not that competent. The management is poor. The restaurant is unreasonably noisy, and the manager refused to take steps to help dinners when there's serious problem -- disruptive diners. My husband was very sore yesterday and couldn't decide if it was from the gym or the chair at dinner -- it was so bad and crowded, he had to sit sideways. And, we did not have the worst chairs in the house -- the metal chairs at the big table.
- Inspired Scandinavian JewelOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/13/2014You might think that Scandinavian food is just all dried cod, meatballs and pancakes. But you'd be wrong. This inspired restaurant offers a wide range of smaller plates designed to be shared offering delicious variety of seafood, salads, meat dishes and fantastic cocktails. There are gluten-free and vegan offerings as well. We had the octopus salad with greens and a delicious yogurt-dill sauce, and a green salad with aged gouda shavings that tasted like caramel, granny smith apples and roasted nuts -- divine! Our main dishes were lobster in a creamy foam with avocado and yogurt cream that was so flavorful I almost wept. I'd say more but I'm almost out of space. Dessert was a soft and chewy chocolate cake with a vanilla cream sauce.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- elegant, interesting and fresheduardo7VIPDined on 6/13/2014Elegant, interesting and fresh ingredients combined creatively -- not merely quirkily -- to produce vibrant flavors on pleasantly small portions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.