Mela Tandoori Kitchen
536 Golden Gate Ave
San Francisco, CA 94102Neighborhood:
Civic Center / Hayes Valley / Van Ness
IndianPrice: $30 and under
Mela Tandoori Kitchen
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.melatandoori.com/
- Phone: 4154474041
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: M-F 11:30am-2:30pm
Dinner: Daily 5:30pm-10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian, Asian
- Executive Chef: Moiz Subedar
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Delivery, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: check with Management for details..
A word from Mela Tandoori Kitchen
Welcome to Mela Tandoori Kitchen, San Francisco"s Premier Restaurant specializing in Indian and Pakistani Cuisine !!! Here at 'Mela' we offer the most exquisite assortment of Indian and Pakistani dishes in the Bay Area. With an extensive menu, serving only Halal/Zabihah meats, brilliantly designed decor, blending a beautiful ambiance with silk sarees, candles and wall tapestries we have more to offer than just great food and a cool vibe, we have perfected the most memorable experience in Indian and Pakistani dining !!!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerIndian
Mela Tandoori Kitchen - Best Restaurants in Civic Center / Hayes Valley / Van Ness ›
Mela Tandoori Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
30 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (12)neighborhood gem (11)good for groups (9)special occasion (5)great for lunch (4)romantic (3)late-night find (2)hot spot (2)kid-friendly (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- OutstandingskillzthatkillzDined on 11/2/2013This was so good I don't know if I will ever go anywhere else for Indian food. It looks like a hole in the wall on the outside but inside the restaurant is quite lovely. We tried the chicken samosas and the chicken tikka masala that were listed as house specialties and the tikka masala was so good I wanted to cry. I also got a rose lassi and garlic cheese naan and highly recommend them also. The staff is flawlessly polite and attentive and when I complimented the food to our waiter he seemed genuinely thrilled that we had enjoyed it so much. Food was perfectly spiced and the extra effort they put into presentation really goes a long way. Even the rice was prepared with extra flourishes. The entree was only $11.95, but felt very high end.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty Indian FoodFrankDVIPDined on 10/29/2013A convenient restaurant near Civic Center for reasonably priced, good Indian food. Lunch is served buffet style. The entres were very tasty and the staff very nice. Enjoyable.
- Hearty, Meaty Indian Food ...RossinisDishwasherDined on 10/4/2013... such as I imagine Indian construction workers relishing. I mean that as a compliment; this is cooking for people who are hungry. The tandoori chicken was zesty, the vegetarian dishes were distinctive and flavorful, and the naan was exceptionally good. Portions are adequate; don't over-order. This is a neighborhood where many restaurants are pretentious without being truly special. I dine in the 'hood often because of its proximity to music venues, but I often feel exploited by "trendiness." At Mela, I can get a meal and then proceed to the main course, music. However, Mela is a narrow, stuffy, unattractive facility, with altogether too much noise (the biggest problem in so many SF restaurants). If you need ambience, you won't like it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great Find!CrochetsmithVIPDined on 9/24/2013The food here is excellent! Every dish we tried was wonderful and we had several. I recommend the saag gosh if you like food a little spicy. We also had a chicken biryani and a chicken daal dish and I had the daal soup which was very tasty as well. Be sure to come hungry so you can try several dishes. The place is somewhat small and fairly quiet, but we got there right when they opened for dinner. There were a good number of patrons by the time we left and it was a Thursday. I would recommend reservations if you want to go on a weekend. You'll be glad you did!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We'd been looking for a goodWhatsamattayouDined on 9/3/2013We'd been looking for a good Indian restaurant in the city. Finally found one!
- Food was great, service iffyGImmeHeatVIPDined on 8/23/2013Food is consistently awesome. The service was hit-miss. Some of the wait staff were very friendly, some ignored us most of the night (we had a big group). One waitress poured water into my beer and didn't bring a new beer or take the beer-water away. No one checked in with us for long stretches. Granted this has never happened before, but still not cool.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing taste without the high costSanFranciscoDiamondHghtsVIPDined on 8/17/2013First time eating at Mela after a movie at Opera Plaza. Was a little unsure when you walk in and the kitchen up-front seems more boarded up. But the food was incredibly tasty (think Amber India but yet different) but you don't have the high prices that other high-end restaurants have. The Mango Lasi was the best I've had in SF. Highly recommend the Chicken Keema too, and the samosa bites. Presentation on the meals was quite nice. You get ample helpings of rice and naan. The staff is very friendly and attentive. Next time I'll want to try eating in their traditional dining room upstairs. I'll definitely be coming back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A pleasant surprise awaitsSusieZVIPDined on 8/9/2013A pleasant surprise awaits in this large space, occupied by only a few people early on a Friday night. Cordial service, delicious food - and street parking. What more could you want?Special Features:
- Pre Opera House/Davies dinnerLizaBDined on 8/9/2013an excellent indian restaurant has opened a block and a half from the Opera House. It is clean and pleasant inside (it doesn't look that great from the street) and it is reasonably priced. Although I think they have a buffet at lunch, at dinner time you order and I would warn you that it is not fast. They don't seem to be able to make it faster just because you got stuck in traffic and have a curtain. But given the lack of moderately priced good food in the area (I so miss CPK), this is a real find. Just leave enough time - expect to be there for over an hour.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/6/2013Went there for my moms Birthday dinner, and i was really surprised with everything. Customer service to the food was awesome. We were referred to the restaurant by one of my good friends and she was correct about it. Keep up the good work, really had a great time there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delicious variety and great svcsal15Dined on 7/29/2013Wonderful atmosphere, with superb service. I was delighted to see so much variety on the menu. As for the food, nothing short of delicious. I've been to quite a few Indian establishments and this has to be up there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is great though we cameOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/6/2013Food is great though we came at the opening time and they were a little scattered- seemed to arrive same time we did and food took quite awhile to come to table. We were in a bit of a hurry since we were headed to Opera otherwise would not have minded. Need a better wine list-Special Features:
- The food is outstanding inGreatVIPDined on 6/27/2013The food is outstanding in quality and service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic East Indian Food!VissidarteVIPDined on 6/20/2013Every item of this Tandoor eatery was most excellent, presented in silver dishes and reasonably priced. The Lassi and Nan were excellent, and the service most gracious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service, selectionLAHSVIPDined on 6/18/2013Excellent service, selection of meal choices. The tandoori beef was overcooked, but the chicken dishes were perfectly moist and tasty. The eggplant was the best I've had at an Indian restaurant in the US. Very conventien location to Opera and Symphony.Will return.I would recommend this to a friend.
- I really enjoyed dining thereHmanzDined on 6/11/2013I really enjoyed dining there they got variety of excellent dishes i would recommend all foodies eat there. At the end they served us a complimentary falooda for our wedding anniversary which was so delicious and the staff is so nice. I would just say its worth trying you would love it!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tandoori Taste TreatsDonaldVIPDined on 6/11/2013Our experience at Mela Tandoori Kitchen was excellent. We started with the vegetable samosas--bite size and delicious, accompanied by two sauces: a dark hard-to-describe-but-tasty sauce and a somewhat spicy yogurt/mint sauce. First rate Tandoori chicken and beef dishes and a well-executed lamb curry dish were our main courses. The limited wine list featured only Indian wines but the sauvignon blanc was good and went well with the dishes we ordered. We have no hesitation in recommending Mela Tandoor Kitchen.Special Features:
- zelda dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/10/2013the food here was excellent - my only negative comment would be how long it took for the food to arrive. For a 6:45 reservation I would think we had plenty of time for the 8PM symphony show but we had to request bill when food arrived and rush to eat in order to get to our seats on time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was good, with good presentatiavercampVIPDined on 6/8/2013Food was good, with good presentation. We ordered Peshawari Naan and it was different and tasty. Loud unpleasant music detracted a lot from the experience.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food before the OperaOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 6/5/2013This was the second time we dined at Mela Tandoori. It is convenient to the Symphony and Opera, and has excellent food. We ordered the spicy chicken wing appetizer and the garlic naan which we liked on our first visit, and had an excellent eggplant dish and shrimp curry. It is unpretentious, has excellent food and is moderate priced. We will be back!I would recommend this to a friend.
- If you like it hotanimavenDined on 5/23/2013My friend and I ordered several dishes, they looked small, but there was so much food, we had plenty to take home for another meal. I like my food mild, my friend likes it hot. He was very happy, so in order to cool my tongue, I ordered a Mango Lassi. Just right . My favorite is the Tandoori chicken. Not too hot and so tasty.Special Features:
- Delicious!PreConcertDinerDined on 5/11/2013We arrived shortly after opening on a Saturday, and the staff was just getting going. We waited about 20 minutes for our foood to arrive, becoming slightly anxious at the end as we had a performance to attend. But then the Lamb Tikka Masala and Palak Paneer arrived very hot and delicious. The finger bowls at the end were a nice touch. We will definitely return.I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food, if you have patienceTinaDined on 5/4/2013It's shame I can't rate this place higher, because the food really was excellent. However, the service was atrocious. They were short staffed, and had two large parties. But we did have a reservation booked a couple weeks out, and we showed up on time. We didn't get any service for about 30 min (2 requests ignored), no food - including appetizers - for 1hr (had to make 2 inquiries), and no check until we literally got up from the table to leave (again, despite two requests). The best I can say is that we were seated quickly and the drinks came fast. The food however was the exact opposite - everyone loved what they got. I especially recommend the tandoori combo platter. So good place if you have the time and patience.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kind of stark but clean decorOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/26/2013Kind of stark but clean decor in an odd location off Van Ness. The night we were there they were getting ready for a private party so was not crowded so no idea about noise level when they are full. Very friendly service and excellent food. Not a place to go for good wine or beer but great location if you are going to ballet/opera or concert and very reasonably priced. Would definitely go there again.Special Features:
- Great pre-concert Indian foodaldenteVIPDined on 4/18/2013Surprisingly good Indian food. Very convenient to all the Civic Center cultural venues - more people should consider it as a pre-concert dinner stop.Special Features:
- Great first time at mela tandooriJessDined on 4/17/2013The chicken tikka masala was super good. The mixed tandoori was also pretty good. I liked how the chai tea was sugarless and we got to add as much sugar as desired. The service was really good, and the waiter confirmed that we had an opentable reservation. This wa especially nice since the ladt couple times I've made a reservation from opentable I didn't get credit. We found parking like right away too! We will be back again!Special Features:
- The food is excellent. ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 4/16/2013The food is excellent. Service supportive. Looking forward to a return visit
- Great mealexptaDined on 4/13/2013This was our second dinner here and it was as good as the first. Excellent chicken tikka masala and tandoori chicken. Love the fragrant naan and rice. The service is exceptional. We will return again.Special Features:
- Casual atmosphere. The GarlicOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 4/13/2013Casual atmosphere. The Garlic Naan and Spicy Chicken Wings appetizer were especially good. Will add this restaurant to our list of places to go before the Symphony.
- I've been here for the LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/30/2013I've been here for the Lunch Buffet with co-workers, a casual dinner with friends.and most recently an event with a big group. Every time the experience is outstanding. This is my favorite Indian restaurant in the city. Everyone at the event agreed the food was top notch! The staff was flexible about accommodating our group and the service was excellent. Highly recommended this restaurant to anyone for any occasion.Special Features:
- Good restaurant, very good serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/15/2013I'm not an expert of Indian cuisine, but I have found everything delicious. Probably the choice of dishes was not wide as in other restaurants, but that's ok for the price of everything.Special Features:
- Met a friend for lunch. DidOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/12/2013Met a friend for lunch. Did not realize the restaurant specializes with a buffet lunch for $11.95. Buffet offerings were varied with both meat and veggie options. Upon inquiring, we found the menu option, although not advertized, is available for lunch as well as dinner. Shared an order of chicken vindaloo and lamb with spinach, a single order of rice and some onion naan. Also split a 22 oz Kingfisher. Food was excellent. Restaurant uncrowded,but a woman sitting at the next table had a very loud voice and stayed as long as we did. Ambient music also a bit loud for comfortable table conversation. But, all in all, we enjoyed lunch, especially the price, less than $20 each with tip. Will try it for dinner before a show.Special Features:
- Great food, but service isOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 3/9/2013Great food, but service is impersonal and spotty. We waited at the entrance for several minutes before someone came up to acknowledge our presence and seat us, then we were asked only if we have reservations, no other greeting. The waiters we encountered had the same manner, all business, no small talk. Waiters rush back and forth with such determination that if you want something you have to raise a hand to flag one down. Rarely in all the rushing about does anyone seem to make eye contact. My impression was that service seemed inherently contradictory, as if the waiters are so busy trying to take care of people that they don't take care of people. Though some tandoori grilled meat was overdone, all the sauced dishes were top notc
- Arrived there 10 min late,OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/9/2013Arrived there 10 min late, place was full and there was a waiting line of 3 couples ahead of us. It took the server about 5 minutes to approach the first couple and did not address the remaining 3 couples. After telling the first group they could sit on the floor upstairs we left without trying the place.
- Consistently delicious food....butSandy94901VIPDined on 3/7/2013Consistently delicious food....but beware that it is spicy! The service has improved significantly. Still need to be a bit patient but well-worth the wait. Perfect pre-show choice (Davies, Herbst, Opera House, SF Jazz) but allow 2 hours.Special Features:
- I had chicken breast withreneebergerVIPDined on 3/6/2013I had chicken breast with yoghurt which was very good. Chicken was tender and the spicing was just right. The service was very pleasant, too. I'd think this restaurant would be more attractive to people attending the various music and lecture events in the area if its ambience was made more appealing. The entry is dark and unwelcoming and the eating area also was somewhat dreary.
- Great find near the opera houseelephantDined on 3/2/2013This little place serves wonderful food. Allow plenty of time- it takes awhile.Special Features:
- The Indian food was aboveOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/2/2013The Indian food was above average and the price was lower than what we normally pay in that neighborhood. Unfortunately, the decor and ambiance is below par, when compared to the restaurants in that neighborhood that we normally got to and its bit smelly (Indian spices).Special Features:
- Mela accommodated our groupOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/16/2013Mela accommodated our group of 9 on a Friday night with only a few hours notice. Try getting that elsewhere in SF with food this amazing! Can't recommend anything in particular because everything was so good.Special Features:
- The food was good; I'd likeOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 2/14/2013The food was good; I'd like to return and explore more of the menu. I'd thought a 6:30 reservation would give us time to eat before an 8:00 ballet performance, but the food took a while to arrive and our meal was too rushed to enjoy as much as it deserved.