218 N. Lee Street
Alexandria, VA 22314Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.labergerie.com/
- Phone: 7036831007
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Basque, French
- Executive Chef: Vincent Damman
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please call the restaurant for details.
- Private Party Facilities: La Bergerie can accommodate up to 50 people in one of the private room. 24 in another room and 150 for the whole restaurant.
- Private Party Contact: Laurent Janowsky 7036831007
- Entertainment: A strolling violinist is on hand during special occassions like, Valentine's day, Easter, Mother's day, Xmas Eve and New Year's Eve.
A word from La Bergerie
Located in the heart of Old Town Alexandria, Virginia, La Bergerie offers a cozy and relaxed setting in a historic brick warehouse. Whether it's an intimate lunch or dinner, a special occasion or business affair, La Bergerie's gracious and attentive staff will make your experience memorable.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
La Bergerie - Best Restaurants in Alexandria ›
La Bergerie reviews from OpenTable diners
156 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (114)romantic (104)fit for foodies (76)notable wine list (71)neighborhood gem (59)great for lunch (17)good for groups (13)late-night find (7)great for brunch (5)great for outdoor dining (2)kid-friendly (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- happyVIPDined on 5/24/2014We dine at La Bergerie as often as we can. It is one of our 'go to' places.Special Features:
- The Special OccasionLexusGSDined on 5/24/2014The food is excellent as is the ambiance. A very comfortable evening of dining.Special Features:
- The following 1921 reviews are from the La Bergerie reviews archive.
- Wonderful dining experienceBonGirl26Dined on 5/23/2014One of my favorite restaurants in Old Town! The Dover sole is delicious and I always get the Grand Marnier souffle! Everything is wonderful on the authentic French menu. All of my other guests were so pleased with the food and the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A ClassicRandyDined on 5/22/2014Our night at La Bergerie was outstanding. Great staff and the food was again, wonderful. From the duck to the souffle, wonderful. We love to dine there and enjoy being able to talk around the table in normal voices. The staff are very attentive and have great personalities.Special Features:
- Very good -- again!DSDKDined on 5/17/2014This was our second time at La Bergerie. Overall, we had delicious food and service. A couple of items on the tasting menu were not that impressive -- just OK. However, the ambience, extensive wine list, friendly service and molten lava cake more than made up for it. I love the star gazer lilies that are always at the entrance!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeDaveSVIPDined on 5/17/2014This is a terrific, "classic" French restaurant. Caesar salad tableside! Real Dover sole. And really well done.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I sooo wanted to love La Bergerie!OldTownFoodieVIPDined on 5/11/2014First time visit to La Bergerie, on Mothers Day, maybe that was part of the problem. Lovely restaurant, with a nice menu. At 7:30 it was bustling. We ordered off of the Prix Fix menu, which also seemed really nice. The staff was hustling, but it took 15 min to place a drink order. The carpaccio and escargot were perfect..The fois gras terrine was lovely. It was downhill from there. The zucchini caviar tart was tasteless, the lobster with the risotto was spongy and overdone. The finale was really terrible...a souffle that was literally raw whipped egg whites, just broiled so the top had a crust, but the texture of whipped cream/egg whites under that. A real disappointment..and a dangerous raw food. If we return we'll order just apps.
- Great experience yet againcotedewhahDined on 5/11/2014Always a great dining experience at La Bergerie. Despite the Mother's Day crowds, they lived up to their reputation. Service was a bit more rushed than usual, but one wouldn't have known that without comparison to a slower night.Special Features:
- Solid ExperienceLipsDined on 5/11/2014Enjoyed Mother's Day dinner with group of nine. All around, food was terrific, especially the snails and the filet mignon. Service was good but slightly delayed at times (bearnaise sauce for steak and ice cream for soufflé didn't arrive immediately with my main course and dessert, respectively). Total bill for 9 was $800, including food, wine and tip -- fair amount for top quality food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's DayhappyVIPDined on 5/11/2014That day was another excuse to go to this great restaurant. Food is always good and the service is spot on.Special Features:
- Mother's DayTraditionsDined on 5/11/2014La Bergerie has become our favorite place to celebrate with Mom for Mother's Day. The strolling violin adds a lovely touch and the attentive wait staff always makes the dining experience a pleasure.Special Features:
- Mothers' Day DelightOlliDined on 5/11/2014Everything was perfect. Special Mother's Day menu excellent. Strolling violin very romantic. Exceeded expectations in every category. Where has this place been? I have lived here 30 years and it was my first visit. Certainly not the last.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 5/11/2014We were disappointed based on the positive reviews that we had read on the Open Table web site. We had the $49 Mothers Day lunch. The salads were very small and uninteresting. The nut salad had two small nuts and a small amount of lettuce with a basic dressing. The soft shell crab entrees were seasoned nicely, but very chewy. The raspberry soufflé was mostly air with out much flavor. The highlight of the meal was the excellent creme brûlée. We will not return.
- Romantic, but no taste surprisesTonyBDined on 5/11/2014There is no denying the romantic and special-occasion atmosphere exists. However, I was expecting more in the surprise-me-with-your-personal-flavor category. The presentation of the plates was very nice, and the strolling violinist is a nice touch, although abuse of the high notes may get a little annoying sometimes. Good wine selection and very good service are plus points that allow me to recommend the restaurant to my friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun evening!JbrandcwrDined on 5/10/2014Nice restaurant, good food, nice wine list. A little noisy, but could carry on a conversation. Great for special dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome EveningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/10/2014This place is fabulous - from the moment we arrived until we left. The service was incredible, the food fantastic...everything about it. Just AWESOME!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Comfortable FitGoodTimesDined on 5/10/2014Saturday lunch with college roommate and our spouses, all foodies. Comfortable atmosphere, elegant surroundings, versatile menu, Old World service. A relaxing and delightful way to dine and converse. The most refined restaurant in Old Town. Always a treat all around. Delish!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special occasionOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/3/2014While a little pricey, La Begerie is worth going to for a special occasion. The service is very attentive and the chef met with a special request without any fuss. The food choices are always interesting and our party enjoyed our meals and the celebratory desert brought to the table when we mentioned our anniversary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Visit -- Definitely not LAST!NoNicknameVIPDined on 5/2/2014We are still wondering how we missed this gem in Olde Town. Simply excellent. Especially loved the French service and the souffles! Can't wait to go back and try more.Special Features:
- ImpressiveVLawDined on 4/30/2014My friend and I have been dining at this established Old Towne French restaurant for years and continue to be impressed. This time we went all flambe and enjoyed extraordinary service in addition to a wonderful meal. Highly recommended for an extraordinary dining experience.Special Features:
- Great as alwayscotedewhahDined on 4/23/2014La Bergerie never disappoints - no matter how strange the ingredients may sound, the taste and presentation will be wonderful. An expensive "splurge," but well worth it!Special Features:
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/20/2014Laurent J. leads an exceptional team and dining experience!Special Features:
- Haute cuisineDDDDDined on 4/20/2014As always, this restaurant provides one of the best haute cuisine offerings in the DC Area.Special Features:
- Nice Wine ListFoxonWheelsVIPDined on 4/19/2014Tired interior. Food good. Glad we tried it. Not itching to go again given all of the creative alternatives.
- DisappointeddowntoearthfoodyDined on 4/16/2014The restaurant is located on the second floor of a building containing retail space, which does not make for the best of "first impressions.". The interior space is nice but not as romantic as a expected. The food and service was average. The waiter staff was friendly but did not have a great knowledge of the wine or food( we had a four course meal with wine pairing). Overall, the experience did not match the cost.
- Business DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 4/15/2014Six of us were in WDC and met for dinner at La Bergerie. Great food although service at times was nonexistent. It took an hour to get our bill after dessert, and then what arrived was not our bill. Glad it will be a business expense.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They let us split a tastingMartyVIPDined on 4/13/2014They let us split a tasting menu which is generous.Special Features:
- Delicious Group DinnerKatieElaineVIPDined on 4/12/2014Our group of 7 met here for a mini-reunion. The restaurant was a little hard to find - it's the second floor of a building without its own sign outside - so pay attention to the street address to find it. Our only disappointment was that we weren't hungry enough for more food. Everything we ordered was perfect. The bread was perfectly warmed. The French Onion Soup was the cheeziest I've ever had. Every dish was perfectly balanced. And the soufle was delightful (which made the bread pudding bland in comparison). If only you could order dishes off the 3 or 4 course menu as a-la-carte. I'm already planning to go back, this time with a larger appetite, to eat the lobster risotto on the 4 course menu. Absolutely recommend!Special Features:
- Very niceWondererDined on 4/9/2014Lovely French restaurant with full service and a terrific little wine list. The list is smallish but impressive. The food is good, but not remarkable. Still, it is well worth the price, which is quite reasonable. We went in the middle of the week and were pleased with our experience. The atmosphere is sophisticated but not stuffy. The pace is measured but not too slow or fast. All in all, an enjoyable evening and we look forward to a return visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expensive but worth it.RickVDined on 4/5/2014Great food, comfortable atmosphere, wonderful service. A bit expensive but perfect for a special occasion. My wife and I have taken friends there several times and never been disappointed. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- La Bergerie continues to impressPete2themaxDined on 4/4/2014Great restaurant; very high end food and service. I've never had a bad meal here. It is worth the trip and money.Special Features:
- Food was great. Escargots,OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/4/2014Food was great. Escargots, the pate the seafood scallops were all on point. place was very quiet!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegant date night outingJerryDined on 4/3/2014Enjoyed the value of the Thursday night special entree, discount on wines, ambience of restaurant and service. Outstanding classic Caesar Salad made at our table and the souffles for dessert all contributed to a lovely evening. Looking forward to returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable OccasionOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/2/2014Laurent, Several months ago our son Christopher gave us a gift card for LaBergerie. All I can say is that my wife and I should have used it a lot sooner. The dining experience was by far the best in our 46 years of marriage. Manuel gave us excellent service and he should be congratulated for thatt since part of the whole experience is the service provided. The chef should also be congratulated for the food preparation and presentation. Each facet of the meal, from appetiser to dessert was exceptionally great ! All in all, a job well done by all. Be very proud of LaBergerie.....it's a gem in Old Town Alexandria. Please post this note as a review if appropriate.Special Features:
- About as close to perfectionOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 3/26/2014About as close to perfection for a lunch as could be expected. The service was impeccable and the food delicious. The crab salad was not only a handsome presentation but very tasty. The venison scallopini was exceptional. This was a special birthday and the restaurant did a remarkable job in making the guest feel special.Special Features:
- A French feast fit for a birthdayEasternMarket4brunchDined on 3/22/2014I came to La Bergerie for my birthday with five friends. We all loved what we ate. We strongly recommend the foie gras, the Dover sole and the price-fix lobster with risotto both of which are prepared table side. The birthday cake was delicious and my friend from Paris felt that the creme brulee was good; the only disappointment she has was the temperature of the top - she felt it should be hot, as in recently prepared and it had been prepared then refrigerated. C'est la vie! Overall, this was a great place for a special dinner. There are lots of wines to choose from and some that are even affordable. My last thought is that while dinner can take two hours, be aware that they close early! We left at 10 and were the last ones out!Special Features:
- The food was very good butchrisDined on 3/22/2014The food was very good but the service was not paced well. My husband had the wine pairing with his dinner. We ordered a cocktail first. The first wine was poured before we had finished our cocktails. The appetizers were delivered very quickly - almost too soon as we had not finished our cocktails and had a chance to relax. The second (entree course) wine was poured while we were still eating our appetizers, and had not finished the first wine or first course. There was then a very long wait for our main course - the wine that was paired with the main course was almost gone by the time the entrees had arrived since there was such a long wait. Dessert was served at the proper pace but souffles were undercooked on this nightSpecial Features:
- Just the BestloveagetawayDined on 3/22/2014LaBergerie always consistent and is our favorite place. We had the Dover Sole and Salmon with Red Quinoa. Excellent. Had the Souffle. All is excellent. Can't say enough except to mention we love the owner.............he makes the place so welcoming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Placecharlie1Dined on 3/22/2014First visit to this restaurant. Very good food, wonderful ambience. Only suggestion is that servers need to slow down and pay more attention to detail vs getting out the next course. Dinner reservation was for 7p and dessert at our table by 745. There was not a line waiting for tables and there were available reservations. We expect that quick meal/turn around at chain restaurants but not with fine dining. We asked waiter to stagger our courses so we could enjoy courses/evening. Result - 45 minute wait for check but point totally missed. We will likely give it another try at a later date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect settingjaneybDined on 3/22/2014A group of five celebrated a birthday that was noted on our reservation. The celebrant was surprised to receive a delicious special dessert. The waiter was extremely helpful with the menu choices as special diets had to be dealt with. The "original" Caesar salad was prepared flawlessly table side. Perfect!!! Each different entree was delicious, from the elk steak to the Parrot fish, Always a pleasant experience dining here as diners are never rushed, tables are well spaced and conversation is easy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.