218 N. Lee Street
Alexandria, VA 22314Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.labergerie.com/
- Phone: 7036831007
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Basque, French
- Executive Chef: Vincent Damman
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please call the restaurant for details.
- Private Party Facilities: La Bergerie can accommodate up to 50 people in one of the private room. 24 in another room and 150 for the whole restaurant.
- Private Party Contact: Laurent Janowsky 7036831007
- Entertainment: A strolling violinist is on hand during special occassions like, Valentine's day, Easter, Mother's day, Xmas Eve and New Year's Eve.
A word from La Bergerie
Located in the heart of Old Town Alexandria, Virginia, La Bergerie offers a cozy and relaxed setting in a historic brick warehouse. Whether it's an intimate lunch or dinner, a special occasion or business affair, La Bergerie's gracious and attentive staff will make your experience memorable.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
La Bergerie - Best Restaurants in Alexandria ›
La Bergerie reviews from OpenTable diners
156 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (114)romantic (104)fit for foodies (76)notable wine list (71)neighborhood gem (59)great for lunch (17)good for groups (13)late-night find (7)great for brunch (5)great for outdoor dining (2)kid-friendly (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Lots of Wines by the GlassbatgirlieDined on 8/15/2014I was impressed with the long list of wines by the glass, which works out great if you like to pair wines with different courses. We ordered from the Restaurant week menu. Some of it was good and some was not. The escargot appetizer and mushroom soup aps were OK, not great but acceptable. The duck confit entree was really fantastic; but the profiteroles served for dessert tasted stale and old. And the chocolate sauce tasted like it was out of a jar. My dinner companion had a souffle dessert, which was considerably better than the profiteroles - altho far from perfect. The egg whites weren't completely incorporated into the rest of the souffle. The star of the dinner was the service, which was really good. I would try it on a regular night.Special Features:
- Tres CharmantRestaurantWeekRWDined on 8/15/2014Can't believe I had never been to La Bergerie but will certainly return. Wonderful throw back to the era of escargot, profliterones and the Julia Child of my childhood outside Boston. We had a thoroughly delicious classic French meal in a lovely setting. Food and service were excellent. It was the perfect place for ladies to lunch and lunch we did.Special Features:
- Great food but...DangerousMouseDined on 8/14/2014My wife and I went came here for restaurant week and had the 3 course dinner. While the food was wonderful, the service was not. The server rushed us through the entire meal to the point that the clean-up staff kept trying to remove my dessert while I was still eating it. We barely had time to enjoy one course before they were trying to take our dishes away and give us the next one. The really frustrating part was the server hovering over our table waiting for is to pay the check and making sighing noises. To me this is simply not acceptable at a nicer restaurant like this. I go to Chipotle when I'm in a hurry and I go somewhere like this when I want to enjoy a romantic dinner with my wife. Not sure if I would come back here.
- La BergerieRecceDined on 8/14/2014One of our favorite restaurants. A gem. Great food, great service, excellent wine selection. Special attention to regulars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great eveningenduroDined on 8/13/2014My girlfriend and I attended during restaurant week and her birthday. Ate from the fix prix menu mine was good but not great. Very good time. Great special occasion place but did not feel like a drop in place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming but lackingDeLeslieDined on 8/13/2014The restaurant is charming and the staff excellent. The noise level was high due likely to the brick walls bouncing the sound. The restaurant was not crowded.The much touted Dover sole not on the restaurant week offering which was no surprise. The selections for each of the three courses was impressive. Sadly the food was unimpressive. Bland scallop appetizers were helped with the seaweed side, the crab cake was virtually tasteless even with the saffron sauce. The chicken cordon bleu was a better choice. The soufflés were attractive but too wet inside and the raspberry was cloyingly sweet with an unpleasant texture. The hazelnut was better. With all the choices in historic Alexandria, I doubt I'll return.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/13/2014My girlfriend and I dined here to try out the restaurant during the Restaurant Week. Overall, the food was good but not great. I would expect more creativity from the french cuisine restaurant. The most annoying thing was a person who takes away plates, etc. He was extremely aggressive in clearing the plates that at some point I had to confront him when he asked me whether I was finished while I still had half a plate full and a fork in my hand. I have never had anything like this happened in any restaurant, let alone a high end restaurant. I thought that perhaps they were trying to turn the table over to serve other guests but such treatment wasn't called for. I don't think I'll be returning.
- The perfect lunchSteveMVDined on 8/13/2014We came to celebrate a birthday. The atmosphere was serene, the service was prompt and attentive without being "clingy." The food came straight from the kitchen hot and ready - it had not been waiting under a heat lamp for a server to get around to it. The menu offerred in its dozen or so main courses a broad enough selection to find a couple of competing choices. We plan to return to try the others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food Good, Proprietor not so much!peterDined on 8/12/2014A friend and I went to La Bergerie last Tuesday for their "Restaurant Week" fare. The sirloin steak entree was very good and the service was attentive and pleasant . I had read online that $2.00 would be deducted from the check to "subsidize" the parking fee at a nearby lot. The owner came to the table and confirmed that early in the evening. Later I receive my check and the $2.00 had not been subtracted. The owner when questioned, in a rude and scolding tone informed me it would be done after I gave him my credit card, and added how long he had been running the establishment. He'll be running it without my money!!Special Features:
- Don't do it!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/11/2014My new wife and I stopped by for our honeymoon dinner expecting much, receiving little. The duck confit was good but everything else was lacking. The decor was dusty with black spots on the curtains. The carrot soup my wife had was terrible. The soup lacked the natural sweetness of carrots and the cilantro pesto did not compliment it. The soufflé is suppose to be light, fluffy and warm all the way through. It was cold heavy and weird in texture. The creme brulee, tasted like it was made with banana and bruleed one day prior to me being there. It was gross. Only ate one bite.
- Great...Yet Again and AgainThadVIPDined on 8/11/2014We've been coming here to celebrate special occasions for many years, but now since they've added weekly "specials' we've learned to take advantage of these, on the spur of the moment. The Restaurant Week menu provided ample choices and each dish promised more goodness than the last. My Duck leg confit over mushroom rizotto was superb...the Dover Sole substitution was priced maybe a bit high but it was absolutely worth it; the crab cake was large, perfectly prepeared with very little filler. The Grand Marnier and Raspberry soufflé desserts were just to die for. Take it from this foodie, food writer and cook book author, La Bergerie is pure dining pleasure, over and over again.Special Features:
- Romantic eveningfrenchfoodgalDined on 8/4/2014Everything here is fantastic ... the ambiance, the service, the food, the drinks. I was at this restaurant twenty years ago and it was wonderful then and still wonderfulSpecial Features:
- Lobster SpecialDaveVIPDined on 8/4/2014We go to La Bergerie often for the Monday night lobster special - the food is very good and the soufflés are excellent. They also have good deals on wine that night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Viva La Bergerie7777Dined on 8/4/2014For an important dinner, this restaurant is not only the best -- but really the only -- perfect choice in Northern Virginia. We've been going there for special occasions for more than 25 years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Jewel in Old Town AlexandriamishaDined on 8/2/2014A warm and romantic restaurant. Service is prompt and courteous. Food is tremendous and comes at just the right pace. The menu is very nice and flexible--offering 3 course, 4 course meals and a la carte. Soufflé for desert is a must.Special Features:
- French Done RightWorkingGourmetDined on 7/26/2014The food at La Bergerie is authentic French - small plates, well-done sauces that entice rather than overwhelm the palate, and beautifully constructed presentations. The wait staff is exceptionally professional and personable. The prix fixe 4-course and 3-course menus offer great value and excellent food choices. The foie gras is not to be missed -- one of the best I've ever tried. This is our third visit - we will definitely continue as patrons.Special Features:
- Celebrate with La Bergerietexas1941Dined on 7/25/2014La Bergerie has remained one of our very favorite restaurants since moving to Old Town 18 years ago. For a night out with friends or a special occasion it ranks at the top of our list in this area. So it's little surprise we celebrated our 50th Wedding Anniversary with a dinner there. Laurent Janowsky and his wait and kitchen staff helped make it another very special meal. Unique and very tasty appetizers, lobster flambe (with a marvelous risotto) and raspberry souffle were served with perfection. When Laurent came at the end of the meal to wish us a Happy 50th he also informed us that our sons had arranged to take care of the check as a surprise gift! How could one make the evening more special?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My local favoriteviohowDined on 7/19/2014The food at La Bergerie is always a high quality and we have never had anything that is not excellent. We have eaten here multiple times and it has become our favorite local restaurant. The staff is knowledgeable and accommodating. I love the ambience and we are always able to talk privately even when the restaurant is relatively full.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A nice find24supperDined on 7/18/2014First time to visit. Our anniversary. The server was charming and made us feel welcome. Great touches like tableside cooking of the lobster dish and the presentation of the souffle dessert. It was a near perfect restaurant experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always specialOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/18/2014La Bergerie always has a team which makes a dinner there special. Food quality is consistently high. It is one of the few restaurants in the area which seems to believe in traditional standards.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/14/2014The decor could use some updating but the food was phenomenal.Special Features:
- upscale French find2foodiesDined on 7/13/2014So we had no idea this place was so upscale it was a bit intimidating, but great for a date with a woah factor. We split a Cesar salad, entrée and dessert and it was perfect size for two. Wine list was great, espresso at the end. Loves it, but would need a special event to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great French FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 7/13/2014If you are looking for French cuisine - you will not be disappointed. Everything tasted wonderful and they a good wine list. Loved the foie gras and the scallops, the sides were also great!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dining room,JimmyDDined on 7/8/2014Excellent, knowledgableservice. Quiet, but very few dining at the time. The dining room has very good acoustics. Cheerful, respectful service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First ClassVLawDined on 7/3/2014We are frequent customers of this established Five Star ***** French restaurant and have never been disappointed. First class dining and exquisite service. Recommend highly!Special Features:
- An Excellent RestaurantKevinDined on 6/30/2014An excellent restaurant for that special occassion or just a causal lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegant and lovelyOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/27/2014I had the sole meuniere, prepared tableside, and it was delectable. My husband had the lamb, which was also wonderful. We started with a Quercia ham and pressed melon salad and escargots, and both were perfect, as was the French bread. The wine (2011 white Burgundy, by the glass) was also great. We finished with a chocolate souffle and profiteroles, maybe a slight notch below the appetizers and entrees. I think restaurants like this one sometimes get upstaged by newer and trendier places, but it sets such a high standard: quiet and elegant, with attentive but unrushed service, it is a wonderful place for a special occasion dinner, or just a nice private dinner for two.Special Features:
- A Special PlaceBoomerVIPDined on 6/25/2014You may not be served by a frenchman, but this place has been around for a very long time and has a very loyal following. This is one of the top 4 special places to dine in Northern Virginia. The waiters are pros and are helpful - not simply order takers, the food is exceptional The atmosphere is romantic and elegant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1 yr anniversary flopJon123321Dined on 6/21/2014The food was fine. Not amazing, but okay. The manager was very nice and smiling but the two waiters must have been from France and when we said we didn't want wine.... well that was the their time to write us off. It was $45 each for us to eat the cheapest meal and we felt awkward the entire time because the waiter's attitudes had deemed us not good enough to be there. I'm pretty sure many other places would have been very happy to take my $90 for what I could get at the grocery store for $20 (And make it taste the same if not better). Once done with dinner, we wanted out so we said no to desert, which the waiter gave a scowl for, and we went somewhere else. With so many good places to eat in the DC area, SAVE YOUR MONEY.
- Excellent!CordDined on 6/19/2014Excellent food and service! An Old Town gem! Top recommendation!Special Features:
- Excellent service, ambience, foodTracyDined on 6/18/2014The menus offers a three and four course prix fice menu for the good as well as for wines to go with those selections. There are a la carte selections as well. The good was excellent, prepared with skill and beautifully presented. One disappointment was thst they didn't have the Malbec thst we selected from the wine list, but the waiter's suggestion was very good. There were many empty tables the Wednesday night we were there, perhaps because of it being a weeknight but also I'm sure because it is a higher priced option. For a special evening out in a local, non-touristy place - this is a great choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I Wouldn't Go BackFormerFoodCriticDined on 6/14/2014This restaurant failed to honor a 20 per cent discount offer though I put in a specific note in the Open Table reservation. They told me I had to have a certificate, and the attitude of the waitperson and staff was "It's not my responsibility."
- Good mealOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/13/2014Thoughtfully prepared prix fixe menu -- both 3- and 4- course versions. Waiter helped coach through the choices well. Food was good and nicely presented. Great upgrade to the standard King Street tourist mush.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful French GoodBobbyPDined on 6/7/2014I would consider the food at La Bergerie to be as good as any French food I've had in the last 20 years. The restaurant has it's act together. Perfect food, impeccable service, nice ambience, fair pricing. Will most certainly repeat! 5 stars!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/1/2014Four of us dined at La Bergerie for the first time two nights ago and had a fabulous time. We ordered a la carte as there were some particular items we wished to try. The food was positively amazing -- absolutely delicious and cooked to perfection!!! One of us had a flambe -- again cooked to perfection. Service was impeccable as well. We thoroughly enjoyed the evening and cannot recommend this restaurant highly enough.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine dining for localsdcfoodieVIPDined on 5/31/2014I view this place much as a frequent dining spot for Alexandria elite. It is a tad bit on the stuffy side, but it is particularly very nice for the river front area of Old Town. The menu has never failed to offer something that I did not want to try. Do note that you may order a la carte from the tasting menus, but you can not substitute a la carte items if you order the tasting menu. The service is very professional, but does have a few flaws. My date and I ordered a few appetizers to share, and while they were good, they were served simultaneously yielding a juggling act for the first half of dinner. It is a nice spot, and the food is good, but tourist beware as you may feel out of place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- happyVIPDined on 5/31/2014Dined at La Bergerie for my wife's birthday. Couldn't have eaten at a better place. Very romantic and intimate and the food is always great.Special Features:
- MollyMolllyDined on 5/30/2014If you want the feeling that you are enjoying a fine French restaurant in Paris, La Bergerie is your place. The Dover Sole is a special treat. I don't believe you will find anything like it in the DC area. One of our guests enjoyed the flaming crepe suzettes. Again, where can you find either of these popular & traditional dishes, other than La Bergerie. Our two daughters, ages 18 & 20 said it was the best meal they have ever enjoyed. Everyone enjoyed the Dover Sole.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just RightSuburboDined on 5/27/2014My girlfriend and I were looking for a cozy spot to eat on a weeknight and I was told about La Bergerie almost 4 years ago and decided to try it out. Quiet setting but not too quite. We talk a lot anyway but the tables are not too close that one can be heard. My girl was giddy with the wine list and wanted something from Asaus???? but they don't sell by the glass. I would go back!Special Features:
- Anniversary CelebrationirishwhiskeyDined on 5/25/2014Not our first visit, but also not our best visit. The Chef's specials 3 & 4 course were excellent, except for desserts (both chocolate mousse and grand marinier souffle were less than impressive.) However, the flourless chocolate anniversary cake was excellent! Service was less than attentive and the conversations of others were easily overheard (missed the french musik.) We'll still be back - it's worth another try.