Equus at the Fountain Grove Inn
101 Fountaingrove Parkway
Santa Rosa, CA 95403Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
Equus at the Fountain Grove Inn
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.fountaingroveinn.com/equus.html
- Phone: 7075780149x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Doug Mahoney
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: On-site Catering offering creative custom menus
- Private Party Facilities: Available for 7 people or more.
- Private Party Contact: Travis McDowell 7075780149x
- Special Events: Equus Restaurant has two very popular happy hours...Monday-Friday, 4:30pm-6:30pm with $3, $4 and $5 appetizers.
A word from Equus at the Fountain Grove Inn
Equus Restaurant and Loungebar offers a warm and inviting dining experience. Executive Chef Doug Mahoney presents a Mediterranean menu, which highlights fresh, local ingredients.Continued
Table Side Classic Caesar Salad (2 person minimum)
Table Side Classic Caesar Salad (2 person minimum)
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Equus at the Fountain Grove Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
6 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
romantic (5)special occasion (5)good for groups (2)vibrant bar scene (2)notable wine list (2)kid-friendly (1)great for brunch (1)fit for foodies (1)great for lunch (1)neighborhood gem (1)Show More
- This restaurant doesn't seemOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 12/9/2012This restaurant doesn't seem to know where it fits. The introduction of their smoker and creation of a BBQ section is misplaced. Limited menu and somewhat stark ambiance. Hostess was indifferent. I recall this restaurant and bar when they both had character and warmth and delivered a fine product. Management here is lacking.
- Service and food was terrible.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 12/7/2012Service and food was terrible. It took forever to be waited on. We had to ask for a wine list. Ordered a bottle and then was told 15 minutes later they no longer sold it (Sonoma Coutrer). So we ordered a new bottle. 15 minutes later waiter came back and askedif we were ready to order. We asked if we could get our wine first and if we could order an appetizer... we ordered bacon wrapped shrimp..15 minutes later 4 small shrimp arrived that were way over cooked and overwhelmingly salty. We ordered sea bass. Brick chicken and two orders of pink Oso bucco. All dinners were smaller portions than I''ve seen and way over cooked. The oso bucco came wit coups coupsand petite onions. Both were stone cold. $200... not a great night
- My husband and I went to EquusOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 12/7/2012My husband and I went to Equus for a long overdue date night. We were seated and waited a long time for our waiter. We were one of two table in the entire restaurant. When the waiter finally came over, we ordered our food. The appetizer was good (crab cakes). Then we waited a REALLY long time for our meals. Both meals (I had the stroganoff, my husband had the Sea Bass) were absolutely gross!!! We figure we'd just cut our losses and get out of there in time to run some errands before going home. Tick -tock, tick-tock! Again, the service was horrible. The waiter did not check on us, did not offer any more bread (which was the best part of our meal). I had to go up to the hostess and tell her that we needed to pay our check.
- Fab!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 12/1/2012One of the best dinners my husband and I have had in years. It was absolulely amazing!Special Features:
- The entrees are way too expensiveOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/24/2012The entrees are way too expensive and the qty of each entree is less. Be prepared to be hungry after dinner.
- Dinner and service was great.MichelleDined on 11/16/2012Dinner and service was great. My husband got the lamb and I got the chicken, both cooked perfectly. We ended up bringing my 6 year old to dinner for my birthday. I was pleasanly surprised they offered a kids menu. I had a great birthday dinner.Special Features:
- We greatly enjoyed dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/15/2012We greatly enjoyed dinner our first night. My osso bucco was excellent, although it took about an hour to prepare. Having had a large lunch, we just had appetizers our second night and they were outstanding. Our choice of wines by the glass were appropriate, thanks to your good selection. It would be nice to have and also feature your Equus house wine. Your breakfast egg dish was very moist and creamy and consistent each day. Nice job! Our only comment would be to not starch your napkins - they were like cardboard, and made with such nice material it was a shame.Special Features:
- This was our first experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/9/2012This was our first experience at Equus, and it was really nice. The food was good, serve was great and the seating very comfortable. The restaurant needs a little overhaul from the tables the the floors. Overall, I would recommend Equus.Special Features:
- We had a very good lunch here.ElceeDined on 11/8/2012We had a very good lunch here. The food is quite good. The crostini with Laura Chenel goat cheese and a fig spread with arugula was terrific. Also a very good sea bass grilled with large white beans, and a salmon. Dessert good too. Nice surroundings. Very good wait person, I believe from one of the Eastern European countries.Special Features:
- Can't wait to return.johnDined on 11/2/2012Best clam chowder and crab cakes we have ever eaten. The staff was obliging, they seated us even though we were very late to our reservation.Special Features:
- Simple hardy wine country foodMuledaddyDined on 10/26/2012Had a really spectacular meal here. The interior is modern, simple-chic and the food similarly simple but hardy. Had the fish and the lamb, with some amazing mushroom risotto. The wine list is great for really great prices. The Pravenance Merlot was only $38/bottle! You really couldn't go wrong with anything on the wine list or menu.Special Features:
- I have been a fan for yearsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/12/2012I have been a fan for years but this time food not up to par. Small dinner menu too:(Special Features:
- Dinner and Show!!AmberDudeDined on 8/24/2012I had their entree special which was grilled scallops that was exceptional.The server was very mindful and caring.An overall great experience.I'm sure I'll dine there again.Great place to dine if your already catching a show at the Wells Fargo Center of the Arts!!Special Features:
- A Romantic Restaurant + Fun BarOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/11/2012While staying at the Fountain grove Inn for a weekend, my wife and I tried many dishes at Equus. The first night, we spent a lot of time at the bar watching baseball, and the environment was classy but fun. That night we tried the ravioli, which was amazing (wanted to lick the plate). i also had some of the best hot wings of my life, though I admit it was mostly the sauce that won me over (the meat was fine, but not spectacular). the servers at the bar and the bartenders were amicable and friendly, and we had a great time. The following night, we had a very romantic dinner at the proper dining area. The servers were great, and I'm shocked that other reviews don't reflect this. My veal porterhouse was great (not fantastic, but great).Special Features:
- Service was a little slowOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/5/2012Service was a little slow to get us sat, but otherwise was fantastic all around. The food was delicious and quick with a wide variety of options to choose from.Special Features:
- Head to Equus at Fountaingrove Inn!MarkJDined on 7/20/2012We have enjoyed many brunches at Equus, but this was our first dinner. We will definitely return. The staff was very helpful selecting an assortment of dishes. The butter bean ragu was the BEST I've had, and that will be a staple of future orders. The calamari were tasty and nicely spiced. Lamb chops were thick and juicy. Best part? The attentive staff. Even waiters who were not "ours" answered questions and made recommendations. Great job to all at Equus!Special Features:
- The service and entire staffsburr29Dined on 7/20/2012The service and entire staff was excellent. This was the best thing about the visit to Equus. The Caesar salad dressing tasted more like a vinaigrette. The sea bass was dry. I loved my ravioli and the MacMurray Ranch Pinot. The s'mores were OK. The consensus of our group was that the food was not exceptional.
- Our dinners were sub-par.LocalCoupleDined on 7/12/2012Our dinners were sub-par. Very disappointing. Did not enjoy our chicken or NY steak. The vegetables (asparagas) was too hard. The potatoe side-dish was the best thing on the plate. The wine was great! Food is going down-hill from our last dining experiences there. New cook??
- I like the atmosphere at Equus,OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/7/2012I like the atmosphere at Equus, the lounge/sports bar is very intimate and contemporary. I love the late night happy hour! The restaurant was FABULOUS, food taste just as good as it looked in pictures. Staff was pleasant every day of my stay (3). I'll return as soon as we have time for short vacation again.Special Features:
- service poor 2 nites in aOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/20/2012service poor 2 nites in a row. took waitress 20 min to acknowledge my existence. same waitress and service both nites. had same drink both nites...good 1st nite, poor 2nd nite. inconsistent. out of the ravioli first nite so went back 2nd nite. 1st nite opted for the lobster bolognese...plain..no flavor really. def not memorable.
- Menu needs more than one vegetarianOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/17/2012Menu needs more than one vegetarian meal choice. I really liked the half glass of a very fine wine for the cost of a full glass of a good wine. A half glass is all I ever drink at home.Special Features:
- Not quite sure what the raveGamerbabe32Dined on 6/15/2012Not quite sure what the rave is about this place. They were out of Ceasar Salad, and calamari for the appetizer, further limiting the limited menu. I had the kobe steak, dont think it was even kobe (have had better steaks at Applebees for 1/4 the cost), the grilled asparagus were not even grilled! The other entree at the table included salmon which tasted very fish even with the garnish! I was even told no when asked if I could order off the bar menu since they were out of two of the items I wanted. You would think that they would have wanted to accomodate me. I wont go back!
- Attractive venue that needsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/13/2012Attractive venue that needs some warmth--flowers, music and friendly workers. Food was disappointing,especially the special barbeque of the day. By 12:20 they were out of a popular item-beef brisket. In an empty room of tables were were placed between two groups of lawyers speaking loudly. Since we were having a birthday celebration it was almost a relief to leave. Will not return.
- We had reservations at 645OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/9/2012We had reservations at 645 and went over to the wine bar/lounge for a drink first and the waitress was great! We went back over for our reservation and were seated immediately and provided an iPad to make our wine selection. We ordered calamari and for the price it was a huge portion and was excellent. I had the lobster bolegnese and it was amazing! The staff is friendly, knowledgable and fun. Great spot for a great meal, a special occasion or a romantic evening.Special Features:
- The restaurant interior decorOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/4/2012The restaurant interior decor and dining area booth that we sat in was very comfortable and pleasant. We ordered the pulled pork and sea bass and both were unfortunately overcooked and not moist or tender as we had hoped. The yam potato fries also lacked substance and taste even with the use of the dipping sauce.
- Our special occasion, 35 weddingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/4/2012Our special occasion, 35 wedding anniversary was nice,. Food was good and it made the event special. Happy Hour was good in the bar and our visit there set the stage for a nice meal in the dining room. Meal choice could be greater. Food was a pleasure because it was the chef's creation which I enjoy for a special occasion such as ours. We used OPEN TABLE to book the seating. It worked well.Special Features:
- This was for our wedding anniversarBobharrisDined on 5/21/2012This was for our wedding anniversary. Equus is a staple in Sonoma County and can typically be counted on for a good time. Our experience on this occasion was typical for Equus and was quite satisfactory.Special Features:
- The dining room is very sterile,BarbaraDined on 5/10/2012The dining room is very sterile, it seems odd but the food was very goodSpecial Features:
- Had a very nice quick dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/28/2012Had a very nice quick dinner before a concert at Luther Burbank Center. Perfect spot and very close to the show.Special Features:
- just disappointed!luv2dine2Dined on 4/28/2012disappointed have eaten here before and was much better with more choices. We had chosen koby beef and it was just ok Nothing to say exceptionally.Special Features:
- Reasonably priced, and theySromeroDined on 4/26/2012Reasonably priced, and they tried hard. Good luck to them.
- We've never been disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/17/2012We've never been disappointed with the service, food or ambiance when eating here for several years. The choices of blends of flavors and the variety of beautifully unusual offerings of entrees makes Equus one of our favorite local restaurants. The menu changes seasonally which makes it a delight to dine knowing there will be a variety of choices. We think the prices are reasonable for the proportions of absolutely delicious food. The vibrant lounge bar scene is far enough away from the main dining room, the noise doesn't interrupt a romantic or special occasion. The bar at Equus offers two times for happy hour 4:30 - 6:30 and 9:30 - 11:00 (approximate) I like having a very cool place to go late at night in Santa Rosa, which is rare.Special Features:
- We went for a birthday celebrationEleanorDined on 4/13/2012We went for a birthday celebration and the reservation for a booth - (party of two) at 8:30pm. I had to give the overall experience just a two stars under FAIR because we did not have a booth ready for us until 9:15pm. The place closes at 10pm and we wanted to have some cocktails and wines at the bar but we couldnt do it. We arrived at 8:30pm promptly. The dinner was much shorter due to the long wait for our reserved booth because they close at 10pm. I really would think the place need to make sure the reservation is properly served or I dont see the point making a reservation ahead of time for a special occassion. Food was good service was good but both were not excellent.Special Features:
- I had not been to Equus inOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/8/2012I had not been to Equus in many years, and thought the remodeled dining room was lovely. The food choices on the Easter Day buffet were interesting and very flavorful. The service was phenomenal. Our server was friendly, and there were 4 bus boys roaming around the room all the time. I will definitely return for another occassion.Special Features:
- Food was good (although theOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/6/2012Food was good (although the vegetable pasta was quite bland and overpriced for the quality of this dish but the sea bass was great) and overall had a good experience. The cocktails however were a bit watered down and took almost 20 min. just to get a drink (and the restaurant just opened so it was not busy but the bar appeared to have been which could have been the reason for this). We had already completed our appetizers before we had our drinks, which we placed prior to the food order.
- We always enjoy dining here.LadybugDined on 4/5/2012We always enjoy dining here. Brought my 96 year old mother and they were so thoughtful about placing her a a good table for her wheelchair and spliting an entree. We'll be back!Special Features:
- A very pleasant evening.AndyDined on 3/7/2012A very pleasant evening. We had an excellent onion soup then moved to the BBQ offered three nights a week. The chicken was great, the brisket ok. I'm putting this one on my favorites list.Special Features:
- Good deal but food was justSunshineDined on 3/4/2012Good deal but food was just average. I ordered veggies with pasta and it did not taste like anything....very little flavor.
- Really it was badOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/4/2012Drink service was very slow, server was very slow to nonexhistant, food arrived just warm enough to eat, but waitress didn't come around to find that out. Cream Brûlée were all basicly scrambled eggs, poorly done and the recogmended cheese cake was old and getting dry. Once again waitress...? Bill had to be begged from the bus boy and after 2 1/2 hours of being mostly ignored the extravigant tip was already factored in. Had a similar experience there once before and thought to give a second chance. Not again!
- Hostess situation not good.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/3/2012Hostess situation not good. Staffing not experienced, but food was very good. Wine list was very reasonable.Special Features: