Cafe Sevilla - San Diego
353 Fifth Avenue
Cross Street Between J and K Street
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Downtown / Gaslamp
SpanishPrice: $30 and under
Cafe Sevilla - San Diego
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cafesevilla.com/
- Phone: 6192335979
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday: 4:00pm - 12:00am, Saturday: 4:00pm - 1:00am; Brunch: Sunday: 10:30am - 2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Spanish, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Paul Bauer
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Dancing, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Flamenco Dinner Show: Saturday: 7:30pm - 9:30pm $47.50p/p; Spanish Rock: Monday 9:30pm - 1:30am $8. co/p Salsa: Tuesday: 8:30pm - 1:30am $8. co/p Thursday: 8:30pm - 1:30am $10.co/p Sunday: 6:30pm - 1:30am $8. co/p DJ Night: Friday: 10:00pm - 1:30am $15.co/p Saturday: 10:00pm - 1:30am $15.co/p
A word from Cafe Sevilla - San Diego
Authentic Spanish Cuisine and Tapas Bar with dinner shows on weekends and a Spanish Flamenco Guitarist at the Tapas Bar 7 days a week.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerLate Night Find
Cafe Sevilla - San Diego - Best Restaurants in Downtown / Gaslamp ›
Cafe Sevilla - San Diego reviews from OpenTable diners
93 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (47)vibrant bar scene (33)neighborhood gem (32)hot spot (32)good for groups (31)romantic (28)special occasion (27)late-night find (25)notable wine list (10)great for outdoor dining (8)great for lunch (8)kid-friendly (5)scenic view (4)great for brunch (3)Show More
- Good food but....dinerDined on 5/24/2014The food was GREAT and would have been even better if I had enough light. Half the pleasure of dining is the presentation of the food. It was presented well but was too dark to actually see the food. Service was great until 3/4 of the way through the meal. I guess the waiter figured we were done spending money so he would work a different table. I enjoyed the meal but it's not a restaurant I will work hard to try again.Special Features:
- Great Food and ServiceHewdinVIPDined on 5/23/2014Food was very good. Service was great. Antonio was our server. Very professional, friendly and made great recommendations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 274 reviews are from the Cafe Sevilla - San Diego reviews archive.
- Great TapasRebeccaHDined on 5/20/2014We went for a late night light meal after a play and Cafe Sevilla was the perfect choice. We had Queso Fundido, Wild Mushroom Empenada, and Albondigas al Jerez which were all delicious. We also had the Olive and Almond sampler which was boring. Our server was clearly overwhelmed and forgot to bring us our first plate and bill. However, he was very pleasant and was probably new to the position and we were in no hurry so it didn't cause any inconvenience.Special Features:
- Interesting tapas selectionsintofoodVIPDined on 5/19/2014Great attentive service plus interesting tapas selections that were well done make for a satisfying dinner. The portions were larger than expected and will fill you up fast. The only passable item is probably the paella.Special Features:
- Not so greatSFoodieDined on 5/18/2014We went to Sevilla based on recommendations and were disappointed. The noise level indoors was well above 100 decibels (conversation impossible unless you can lip-read). The service was poor, dirty glassware and cutlery to start, we had to ask for the bread we ordered (for an extra $5) three times. So was the food worth it? Not really. The some of the tapas were OK, others were tasteless. None rose to level of tapas available in Spain, or other stateside tapas bars we have found. We cannot recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Unexpected delightValSalvaDined on 5/18/2014I went to this establishment while on a business trip and was pleasantly suprised. service prompt and fod ver good.Special Features:
- Always Great FoodGregVIPDined on 5/18/2014Good food and they handle gluten free well, offering lots of alternatives.Special Features:
- Family from SpainEvaclintonDined on 5/14/2014My wife is from Sevilla and states that this place is the next best thing to her home in Spain. Great food, staff, and atmosphere. His my second trip to San Diego and I will always make sure to come back and eat here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Viva Espana!SCchefDined on 5/10/2014Always great for late night snacks or dinner and drinks! New location has the balcony seating that is great for people watching and catching the show. Been a fav for over 20 years, love it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find in the Gaslamp Quarter!cosmokramerVIPDined on 5/10/2014A friend and I had dinner recently at Cafe Sevilla for the first time and were really impressed by the food, service and ambiance. We sat outside at a table right next to the sidewalk and, in addition to the great people-watching, were treated to fabulous food (we shared several small plates -- all of which were wonderful) and great service. Our waitress was extremely attentive and the manager (I'm assuming) came by to ask how everything was. The inside of the restaurant is very cool and I wouldn't mind sitting inside if the weather is not ideal for outdoor dining. In any case, I will definitely be back!Special Features:
- great restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/9/2014Good food, great scene, and awesome band when they have them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeGBrainzDined on 5/9/2014Our experience at Café Sevilla was amazing. Our hostess was so great; I don't remember her name but she was exceptional. She gave fantastic recommendations for food and what she suggested we ordered; it was AWESOME! We had a really great experience. Loved their lamb skewers and the olive bread!Special Features:
- A taste of SpainmichkpDined on 5/9/2014Very unique food and atmosphere. Have not been to another place like it before. I felt like I was dining in Spain somewhere. Our waiter was very helpful with the menu. The food we tried was delicious and fun to share.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodhealthydiner3Dined on 5/2/2014The Restaurant was very noisy from the bar crowd not great for talking. food was good but rather expensive for just good food the waiter was great. all in all just a so so experienceI would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding food and serviceDrKoobVIPDined on 4/27/2014In San Diego for a weekend and looking for an interesting meal that was within walking distance of out hotel. This place fit the bill perfectly. Great service from Julie was superb start to the meal. Ordered a pitcher of their house sangria and it's a LOT for two people. (But we drank it all.) Started with an appetizer and then I had the amazing Valencia paella. My bride (for the second night in a row) had sea bass. Make sure you have their in-house made bread. It is amazing. Both entrees were great. Then we had their specialty sundae for dessert and it was outstanding. We had one of those dining experiences we will remember for years to come.Special Features:
- Sevilla again againHowcrabDined on 4/23/2014We've eaten here often and keep coming back. The food is great - had ceviche for first time (sampler of 3) and it is wonderful. Seafood paella with black rice also a standout. The Sevilla sour cocktail is terrific (pisco, pear-habanero sauce) Service iffy this time - all dishes appeared at once rather than comfortably staged and some instructions were misunderstood. Not to worry - we'll be back again.Special Features:
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/12/2014The food is amazing, the sangria is delicious, and the service is great. We sat upstairs at the counter overlooking the downstairs seating are. Sitting at the counter really gives you a more private dining experience. We loved it. We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and differentIn2FoodDined on 4/12/2014The food at Café Sevilla is delicious and something you don't find in other restaurants. There are a variety of foods, a variety of ways to serve them and the flavors are great and not like other restaurants. It's always flavorful and the service is great too. We've been going for years and every time we go, our taste buds are happy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 4/11/2014We were very disappointed in the service. We had to ask for the happy hour menu. Then, we had to clarify what drinks were on the happy hour menu. When we asked for a dessert menu, she simply did not bring it. We were so looking forward to this evening and it was a dud!Special Features:
- Good food and serviceseanc623VIPDined on 4/10/2014My waitress, Amanda, was very pleasant and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tapas!SammyVIPDined on 4/3/2014One of the few good tapas places in San Diego. Many excellent and tasty choices, good wine selections, and service is fast. A little noisy and somewhat dark for serious eaters, but a great place for groups of at least 3 to share.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Their slogan is “visitingartistaDined on 3/31/2014Their slogan is “visiting Spain without the airfare.” That is an accurate description; the décor overwhelms with all things Spanish and the lighting is low. Tapas are meant to be shared and the tables seem to invite groups to sit down and enjoy. As a solo diner, I did not feel as welcome. I was seated at the “chef’s table”, a nice word for facing the prep area with your back to all the excitement. Happily, the food made up for my unfortunate seating. I had the charred lamb chops with olive oil and rosemary, served on fabada. I also had a crusty bread with mushrooms, figs and manchego cheese. The lamb chops were especially wonderful – still rare under that charred exterior. That dish will bring me back if I return to San Diego.Special Features:
- Great tapas, average main courseHammertimeDined on 3/24/2014We chose based on reviews and as a tapas place it was great. The ahi tartare tower and warm goat cheese were delicious! The paella was good but the salmon was so terribly overcooked as to be almost inedible. However, the service was really good so I am giving four stars even though I hated my main course. I would absolutely come back for drinks and tapas and recommend for that.
- FunFlygirlDined on 3/24/2014This was the second time I had dined at Cafe Sevilla and was very pleased. The food and atmosphere was excellent. It does get very busy later in the evening and the wait staff seemed a little overwhelmed. Had to wait a bit for a drink but overall a very good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wishing we were in Spain!DelMarFoodieDined on 3/21/2014High on our bucket list is getting to explore Spain, so for our date night we decided to see how the foodie experience might be represented by Cafe Sevilla. If how they do food and service are indicative of the genuine experience, it makes our desire to get to Spain even greater! We had a blast sitting at the kitchen bar and watching all the food being prepared, the servers coming and going, the chefs telling us what they were preparing and what were their favorites. We had a 3 hour tapas dining experience and explored only a portion of an extensive menu. My personal favorite was the blue cheese stuffed dates wrapped in bacon...what a flavor explosion! We will definitely be coming back here again and are excited to try out the show!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bringing Spain to San Diego!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/21/2014Fabulous way to spend a fun &/or romantic evening in SD. Expensive, but excellent food & great service. A bit noisy, but then again, ALL the good places usually are, right?! Just be sure to make reservations as far in advance as possible because walk-ins will have more than an hour wait, especially on the weekends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/15/2014Absolutely loved the ambiance and decor. The bacon wrapped figs and lobster/mushroom paella was amazing!Special Features:
- Great Place to Getaway Locallybdeal85Dined on 3/8/2014I had never heard of this place, but a friend recommended that we try Sevilla out when I asked him of a nice place to go. Went here with my girlfriend to celebrate an occasion. We enjoyed the food very much. Our waitress was very friendly. The food was great. The drinks were amazing. I'd recommend to any of my friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DissapointedGeneDined on 3/7/2014Cafe Sevilla has been on my list for quite some time now, and we finally made it there on March 7, 2014. It was the worse dining experience that I can recall. This place is terrible, We Won't go there again.
- The food was good, but theTommyDined on 3/6/2014The food was good, but the music was better. Very enjoyable evening for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceseanc623VIPDined on 3/3/2014The food was very tasty, and the service was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Tapas & great music.GddyupDined on 3/2/2014Chanced upon Sevilla Cafe on a long weekend in San Diego. Looked promising online. Better in life. Food and service was exceptional. Wine was delectable. Wine list has a decent variety of Spanish, South American and, of course, Californian favorites. The live music was just amazing. Patrons were up from their seat dancing on the first floor. Most stayed beyond their dinners just to listen and watch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tapas and Spanish guitar!vshumsDined on 2/27/2014Took my parents here from out of town, They had a blast. Food was amazing and the musicians were phenomenal. This is my go to spot for anyone new to the areaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good food and service.seanc623VIPDined on 2/24/2014The food was very tasty, and the service was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ambiance, highly recommendpeachesncreamDined on 2/21/2014Great ambiance, highly recommend the valet service when arriving by car, the food is delicious, especially loved the dates and the ceviche; did not enjoy the dessert as I thought it was Mexican custard which I love, and it turned out to be rice pudding, which I hate! So make sure you ask what it is in English if you don't speak Spanish (like me). We both loved the restaurant and it was a very enjoyable evening.I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful mealBuckCRNADined on 2/16/2014A great place to enjoy food with others. This is all small plate dining. Some plates smaller or larger than others, but all good. You eat just until you feel you are full. We sat in the back at a bar type table that overlooked two cooks prepping and plating apps and desserts. It added to the show and took away from the time spent waiting. They will tell you that the food comes out when cooked, so do not expect everything at the same time. Regardless of when it comes out its all good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best service!!AquariusBabyDined on 2/15/2014Celebrated my birthday here the day after Valentine's Day. Saturday night was super crowded, but we had great time! The service was one of the best I've ever experienced downtown!! Our waiter was excellent! Food and cocktails were awesome! Then headed off to the dance floor!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything was outstanding.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/13/2014Everything was outstanding. The only problem is the waiting time to be seated. Since this place is exceptionally unique, no one wants to leave. That leaves the incoming parties waiting a while.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Tapas!luv2gooutDined on 2/12/2014It was great! Food, ambiance, service. Highly recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy HourBrainDocDined on 2/10/2014Came here for Happy Hour, they had a great one with many drink and tapas specials. You do have to be patient though, as the place began filling up, the service became significantly slower and we had to remind them of orders we placed and question when food was coming out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.