Doc Magrogan's Oyster House - Sansom Street
3430-32 Sansom Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Doc Magrogan's Oyster House - Sansom Street
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.docmagrogans.com/philadelphia/
- Phone: 2153823474x
- Hours of Operation:
Come visit us Monday-Sunday for Lunch starting at 11:30am-4pm or Dinner from 4pm-10pm. Late night menu till midnight on Wed-Thur-Fri-Sat from 10pm to 12am. Brunch is served Saturday & Sunday from 11am to 3pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Chef Amanda Dipascale
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catering is available. Please call for details.
- Entertainment: LATE NIGHT WED TO SAT $1 Buck-A-Shuck starting at 10pm to 12am.
Wednesday: Quizzo starting at 9pm.
Thursday: Late Night Menu with Drink Specials featuring the $3 Fishbowl.
Friday: DJ/Karaoke & Drink Specials. Late Night Menu.
Saturday: Drink Specials & Late Night Menu.
- Special Events: Monday Buck-A-Shuck starting at 4pm.
Tuesday Lobster Fest $16 a pound; reserve your Lobster now!
Sat/Sun Brunch Featuring Limitless Mimosas/Bloody Marys/Madras till 3pm
Sunday All-U-Can-Eat Crab Legs, reserve your table now!
A word from Doc Magrogan's Oyster House - Sansom Street
We are a fresh Oyster and Seafood House with the largest selection of oysters in the area! Anywhere from 10-20 different varieties that arrive daily and are shucked to order! Enjoy our extensive raw bar along with craft beers, superior wines and seasonal drink list. Our large outdoor seating and patio make any lunch or dinner special.Continued
Enjoy our Buck-A-Shuck $1 Oyster menu starting at 4pm on Mondays and Late Night Wednesdays to Saturdays starting at 10pm.
Enjoy our Buck-A-Shuck $1 Oyster menu starting at 4pm on Mondays and Late Night Wednesdays to Saturdays starting at 10pm.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Doc Magrogan's Oyster House - Sansom Street reviews from OpenTable diners
104 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (42)great for lunch (36)special occasion (35)good for groups (31)fit for foodies (30)great for outdoor dining (28)romantic (22)great for brunch (18)vibrant bar scene (16)hot spot (11)notable wine list (10)late-night find (9)kid-friendly (6)scenic view (5)Show More
- Outstanding Oysters!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/23/2012This was my first time here. The seafood was absolutely the best...especially the oysters! I will definitely be coming back again.Special Features:
- We went for happy hour andOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 11/20/2012We went for happy hour and the place was bustling. The oysters were tasty and fabulous (even the $1 special happy hour oysters). We only ordered from the happy hour menu and everything was great. The calamari was advertised with banana peppers and came with pickled jalapenos, but other than that, a heaping plate of calamari for $5, a couple $1 oysters and a $3 beer, you're enjoying a wonderful happy hour for less than $10 at a pretty upscale place.Special Features:
- Perfectly cooked!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 11/20/2012Doc Magrogans did not disappoint! My boyfriend and I went this past Tuesday and loved every bit. Our servers was very attentive and knowledgeable. Our food was delicious too! We started with ousters..They had about 15 different oysters to choose from! I got the Ahi Tuna from their "Simply Grilled" section, cooked perfectly.. And my boyfriend got the classic surf and turf with lobster tail and a filet!.. Also for being a seafood house they have awesome steak! Will definitely be returning!!Special Features:
- I love the way each sectionMrsHolland1Dined on 11/19/2012I love the way each section of the restaurant had a different ambiance. The food could have used a bit more seasoning. I had steak and lobster which they were both on the small side. Outside of that it was a very nice Birthday dinner for me.Special Features:
- Loved the selection of seafood.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/15/2012Loved the selection of seafood. Fresh, well prepared and tasted great. Service very attentive.Special Features:
- Excellent fresh fish and veggies.latinprofVIPDined on 11/13/2012Excellent fresh fish and veggies. Where else can you get fresh bluefish? THE BEST... Service was super w/friendly competent servers. You can forget much in the way of heavy-duty conversation, since noise is pretty noticeable. But eating works well in noise or quiet...and eating is really good.Special Features:
- The waiter was incrediblyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/10/2012The waiter was incredibly helpful and the oysters were so fresh! It's a bit pricey, but the experience and food were worth it. I would definitely go back.Special Features:
- Best Oyster house in the cityPhillyguyVIPDined on 11/9/201222 different oysters they had! Swordfish was awesome and the happy hour deals were really good. We will be back.Special Features:
- Very noisy in front rooms.MicheleVIPDined on 11/9/2012Very noisy in front rooms. Quite pleasantly quiet in back rooms.Special Features:
- Great university city restaurant.PhillyguyVIPDined on 11/8/2012Have been here for brunch which was amazing but we came here other night for the late night happy hour. It was well priced with local beers and the garlic wings were best I've had! My date had oysters and shrimp and loved them. We live here so it's a great addition.Special Features:
- Great BrunchPhillyguyVIPDined on 11/5/2012Came here for brunch that they have on Sat and Sun and it has to be the best brunch food I've had in the city. The staff was friendly/great service and the food was amazing. Will have to come back for dinner sometime.Special Features:
- I have always loved this spaceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/2/2012I have always loved this space and am happy to see it in use again. The food did not blow me away but it was all good and the steamed clams and the fish and chips were vey good. The service was friendly and prompt. The clam chowder was tasty but floury rather than creamy and brothy but we are not in New England and this is a chain so i was actually suprised that it was as good as it was. The beer was good and the right temperature and the number of taps and choices welcome. Overall, if you are in the mood for old style seafood this is a good choice.Special Features:
- This is the second time weOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/27/2012This is the second time we have dined there. We took oyster enthusiasts and they were not disappointed. Everyone was pleased with their menu selection both times, which is unusual. The service was excellent. Although the bar rooms upstairs were noisy, not unexpected, the downstairs rooms were very nice for hearing eachother. We will return.Special Features:
- Food was quite good, excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 10/25/2012Food was quite good, excellent fresh fish and raw bar. Service was excellent too!Special Features:
- Top Notch all around.PhillyguyVIPDined on 10/19/2012Great new place! Food was great for brunch. We ate here for dinner once also and the service is top notch and professional. The food bothe for lunch and brunch was flavorful and great. The price point is right on and the staff made my wife and I feel at home. My daughter goes to Penn and I'm glad we have a spot to take her each time we are in. A+.Special Features:
- Delicious SurpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/19/2012DM's Oyster House was a wonderful surprise in the heart of University City. As a recent addition in Doc's small chain of self-proclaimed, old-fashioned oyster bars, Sansom Street is an excellent newbie! The service was fantastic - From kind hostesses to the sweetest, most attentive and accommodating wait staff, Doc M's on Sansom provided a very pleasant dining experience. The ambiance was delightfully eclectic; very shabby chic. Food was delicious - Lobster Bisque was some of the best had, ever; wine list was adequately extensive. I would recommend Doc Magrogan's Sansom Street to anyone looking for a unique eatery amidst University City's many a college pub - Actually, I'd recommend it regardless! Great place - Will definitely be bSpecial Features:
- We really liked the food andOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/19/2012We really liked the food and the ambiance! We will go again! The oysters were very good and Doc's had a wide variety. Also on Monday nights, our server told us that oysters are $1 each all night, not just for happy hour. Our table was by the window and we could see watch all the people go by. The decor was very nice and there were dozens of oyster plates on the walls for decorations. The restaurant was bigger than I thought it was - it went from the street all the way back to the alleyway.Special Features:
- The first time I went hereOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/19/2012The first time I went here for lunch, I thought everything was very good. The second time I went, I was dissapointed. The sandwhich I got was outstanding, but the fries tasted like they had been sitting for 3 days (chewy). The lobster bisque had an incredible taste, but was cold. The service was VERY slow. This place has a lot of potential, thye just need to work out the kinks.
- Always good and fresh. IOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/12/2012Always good and fresh. I eat there every time I visit my son at Penn.Special Features:
- My husband's food was inedible.evelynwaughDined on 10/12/2012My husband's food was inedible. However the waiter checked with the manager and did not charge us for his dinner. The shrimp cocktail was fine.
- Home Run!PhillyguyVIPDined on 10/11/2012First time here as I normally go another oyster house in the city and I must say this place tops all! Oysters were many and great. The Mahi was cooked perfect and my girlfriends apps and Swordfish was great. I read some reviews saying food was par or "who keeps ketchup in the refrigerator?" Besides everyone you mean? So trust me when I say the staff and food were right on point. It's a must try!Special Features:
- Seriously no oyster stewOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/11/2012First time at Doc Magrogan Oyster House. Fish dishes were fresh and plentiful, but not a whole lot of flavor. There were 10 different types of fresh oysters on the menu, but no oyster stew, are they serious. How can they call themselves an oyster house with no stew! I grow up in Philadelphia with Fishers on Broad, Bookbinders and Samson street Oyster House and always had their oyster stews to start a meal.Special Features:
- The food is mediocre, butDianneCVIPDined on 10/11/2012The food is mediocre, but it's a good addition to the University City dining scene, in that it's quiet enough to hold a conversation and the focus on seafood is different from other nearby restaurants. The interior is clean and pleasant.
- Will definitely be going back!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/8/2012Awesome selection of oysters! They had 22 different kinds when we went! I really like their simply grilled section, really healthy and delicious. My server was great, very knowledgeable and made great suggestions. They also have a great late night menu that I think they just started, but none the less I will definitely be headed back to Doc Magrogan's!Special Features:
- Its only been open for a fewOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/5/2012Its only been open for a few weeks so hopefully the service aspects will improve. At lunch, it was a quiet place and value is great -- very fresh fish, good presentation, attentive wait staff. Dinner on a Friday night was rambunctious to say the least (ask to be far away from the bar!). Oysters were great and wonderful selection. Dinner fish was just OK.Special Features:
- Fantastic selection of oysters!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/4/2012Fantastic selection of oysters! The servers are very attentive.
- Big hits, equal missesFitlerSquareVIPDined on 10/4/2012Took a friend out for his birthday and was mystified by the tough stuff they got very right (crab cake!) and the simple stuff they couldn't figure out (I think French fries are meant to be served hot and crisp, not Luke warm and soggy). Service was pleasant and professional. But until they are able to get fries to the table while still hot, here is not a crab cake, even one this delicious, worth having. Also, why would anyone keep ketchup in the refrigerator?
- This is our second time atOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 10/1/2012This is our second time at Doc's. Seafood here is always first rate. I can't think of a place with better seafood, either in the 'burbs or in Philly. Can't go wrong with crabcakes, Ahi tuna, or mahi mahi. We prefer to come on nice days for the outdoor dining. Both times we've brought our 16mo old daughter, and they are very accomodating. No kids meal or anything, but good friendly environment.Special Features:
- This place is theee very BEST1NewZagatsGuideVIPDined on 9/30/2012This place is theee very BEST for their oysters! We drive 20 miles to the Tai Chi class we go to , and then another 16 miles just to fo to Doc's for their unique and extremely fresh, and reasonably priced oysters! It's an adventure to try new oysters! Service was superb! We are simply addicted to the great variety and freshness! Thank you, Doc M's! We love you! It's also a definite asset that you play great music, its always a lot of fun, and you are open late-night, too! See you again, soon! :-)Special Features:
- This rating must be read withTigresSKSVIPDined on 9/30/2012This rating must be read with a grain of salt because the restaurant is newly opened (1.5 months), it was our server's first day, and we ate at a strange time (4:30PM on a Sunday). My assumption is that if we went at a more normal time the restaurant would be more crowded, and therefore, the noise would be bumped up to "Moderate" at the least. I liked the overall decor, though I'm not the biggest fan of high-top seating for non-bar dining (there are normal tables, we just didn't ask to change). The wait-staff (and the manager) seemed well-mannered and timely. The Ahi tuna salad was delicious and the rolls (with some sort of honey butter) were divine. I'd go back and eat at a more normal day/time and eat more than a salad andSpecial Features:
- Excellent seafood! Our partyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/28/2012Excellent seafood! Our party had the Crab, Alaskan Salmon and Scallops for entrees with the seafood , calm chowder and mussels as appetizers. All were well prepared, hot and very good portions.Special Features:
- Good Seafood Near UPennOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 9/23/2012Doc Magrogan's is a fine option for those who find themselves near the UPenn campus. By all means, start with some raw oysters. Even if you're unfamiliar with the varieties, you'll likely have a knowledgeable waiter who can help you to find a selection to meet your tastes. Entrees are seafood-oriented, but there are good choices for non-fish-lovers as well. We've had tasty fish tacos and fish-and-chips at lunch, and excellent trout and salmon dishes at dinner. Your entire party will enjoy the understated New England nautical decor, the reasonable prices and the convivial atmosphere.Special Features:
- The service was attentiveJeaniebeanieDined on 9/23/2012The service was attentive without being intrusive and the food was very good. I love the decor. It is wonderful. I enjoyed my time there and would return.Special Features:
- great servicefoodieVIPDined on 9/22/2012our waiter john was wonderful again. had the bouillabaisse this time and it did not disappoint. can't wait to be back!Special Features:
- The best oysters! ...so many1NewZagatsGuideVIPDined on 9/21/2012The best oysters! ...so many to sample ! :) We also enjoyed the coconut shrimp, clams casino, and 2 different types of salmon! All very fresh! Fav. Oysters were: All the Prince Ed. Ilsands... the cranberry creek, malpeque, blue pt., conway royal, hurricane harborSpecial Features:
- Lives Up/Down to Its NamekerrykimrussoDined on 9/21/2012We went there for the oysters and they didn't disappoint. There was a huge selection and a great menu that detailed everything about them from size to taste and finish. Our favorites were the Peacock Cove. So why was the food just good? The other dishes we had weren't so impressive. The mahi tacos mainly just had a charred fish taste. I recommend Nodding Head's catfish tacos over these. Also, the swordfish dish was somewhat lackluster. It certainly wasn't terrible but it also didn't justify it's $25 price tag. I'm sure swordfish isn't cheap so that price might just reflect the market price for the fish which might explain why the dish itself had nothing going on. Go here for the oysters and you'll be happy.
- Pleasantly suprised...OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/20/2012Thought we made reservations at "Oyster House Philadelphia" at Rittenhouse Square, and was concerned that my GPS kept trying to send us the wrong way, when we realized it was not the place we planned we decided to take a chance. Taking a chance can yield great dividends, as was the case here, great food, great atmosphere, excellent service, great time, lousy parking.
- I have been to Doc's at Sansonmaggicat1Dined on 9/19/2012I have been to Doc's at Sanson Street three times and each has been exceptional. The seafood is superb. I especially love the trout almondine. And the lobster bisque is "to die for". Service is great and atmosphere is friendly.
- perfect!foodieVIPDined on 9/15/2012This place is absolutely wonderful and I will definitely be going back! Lately, my boyfriend and I have been having terrible luck with restaurants, but this place was just perfect. Our waiter John was extremely pleasant and knowledgeable about everything on the menu--he really made our experience quite lovely. The food was amazing--we had oysters on the half shell, new england clam chowder, scallops, salmon, shrimp, lobster, and steak and it was all incredibly delicious. I can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- The food and the service wereSueAnneDined on 9/15/2012The food and the service were very good. We had a group of 6 and were able to talk easily and hear each other since the room we were in wasn't busy. We'll definitely be back.Special Features: