Doc Magrogan's Oyster House - Sansom Street
3430-32 Sansom Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Doc Magrogan's Oyster House - Sansom Street
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.docmagrogans.com/philadelphia/
- Phone: 2153823474x
- Hours of Operation:
Come visit us Monday-Sunday for Lunch starting at 11:30am-4pm or Dinner from 4pm-10pm. Late night menu till midnight on Wed-Thur-Fri-Sat from 10pm to 12am. Brunch is served Saturday & Sunday from 11am to 3pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Chef Amanda Dipascale
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catering is available. Please call for details.
- Entertainment: LATE NIGHT WED TO SAT $1 Buck-A-Shuck starting at 10pm to 12am.
Wednesday: Quizzo starting at 9pm.
Thursday: Late Night Menu with Drink Specials featuring the $3 Fishbowl.
Friday: DJ/Karaoke & Drink Specials. Late Night Menu.
Saturday: Drink Specials & Late Night Menu.
- Special Events: Monday Buck-A-Shuck starting at 4pm.
Tuesday Lobster Fest $16 a pound; reserve your Lobster now!
Sat/Sun Brunch Featuring Limitless Mimosas/Bloody Marys/Madras till 3pm
Sunday All-U-Can-Eat Crab Legs, reserve your table now!
A word from Doc Magrogan's Oyster House - Sansom Street
We are a fresh Oyster and Seafood House with the largest selection of oysters in the area! Anywhere from 10-20 different varieties that arrive daily and are shucked to order! Enjoy our extensive raw bar along with craft beers, superior wines and seasonal drink list. Our large outdoor seating and patio make any lunch or dinner special.Continued
Enjoy our Buck-A-Shuck $1 Oyster menu starting at 4pm on Mondays and Late Night Wednesdays to Saturdays starting at 10pm.
Enjoy our Buck-A-Shuck $1 Oyster menu starting at 4pm on Mondays and Late Night Wednesdays to Saturdays starting at 10pm.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Doc Magrogan's Oyster House - Sansom Street reviews from OpenTable diners
109 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (49)special occasion (37)great for lunch (36)great for outdoor dining (33)fit for foodies (32)good for groups (31)romantic (29)great for brunch (19)vibrant bar scene (17)late-night find (10)notable wine list (10)hot spot (9)kid-friendly (6)scenic view (5)Show More
- Out of Blue Point oysters!HughbeedoobeeDined on 3/8/2014First let me say that this is my second visit to Doc's in Philly. We enjoyed our first visit very much. So, I took my husband there for oysters for his birthday. At 6pm on a Saturday they were out of Blue Point oysters. In their defense, I will say that they are the most popular type of oysters. However, to be out of them on a Saturday at 6pm was very surprising. They do have several other kinds of oysters. So all was not lost.
- It was okayXalaVIPDined on 3/8/2014The food was good overall but uneven--two of our dishes were great, two just so-so--and like many American restaurants the portions were far too large. The service was overwhelming--we were given a long speech about the waiter's favorites before we asked and before we were able to look at the menu for ourselves, and then checked in on many more times than were necessary and repeatedly asked if we wanted to order another bottle of water before we were done with the first, resulting in an almost unused bottle when we left. It was fine, but I can't say I'd really encourage anyone to go until they learn to just let you relax and enjoy your meal.
- Variety seafood delightSeafoodHavenDined on 3/6/2014The seafood was excellent. The name of an oyster bar truly lives upto it's reputation. Mussels crab shrimp was all great. Lobster tends to be a little overlooked so ask the chef in advance to go easy if you like it creamy. The batter fried trout wasn't too good and I feel they need to work on their fish section a little more. But the rest was definitely goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Time to have a drink and chat?MMPFVIPDined on 3/6/2014Very good place to drop by after work with a colleague or friend to enjoy a bite to eat and a drink. Staff is very nice and always accomodating. Food is good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food and service was awesome.ShortyDined on 3/1/2014The food and service was awesome. The alcoholic drinks at the bar tasted like a virgin drink but again the food was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Let the celebrations begin….FoodieKAM2VIPDined on 2/28/2014It was a girls night of laughter, love, GREAT seafood, great drinks, and celebration as my some of my dearest girlfriends and I celebrated my birthday and that of my dear friend, Lisa. We could not have asked for a better location. The food was wonderful from beginning to end…appetizers to entrees to dessert, we were very happy! If you want excellent seafood, then this is the place to be!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DispleasedHowdDined on 2/27/2014Found the food very average. Ordered wood-grilled ahi tuna,medium rare, and considered it tough and tasteless. Likely that I will not return. Also ordered a Caesar salad, as I often do when I dine out, and found it very mediocre. Just a unsatisfying experience.
- great for our monthly dining groupvellDined on 2/21/2014This was my choice for restaurant of the month for our ladies dining out club everyone loved it and our waitress Maura was wonderful. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The serious reviewdrakesDined on 2/21/2014We were told that your place merited a dinner visit on the next pick up of our son at Drexel U. We found your establishment to be above and beyond our expectations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great RecoveryNewCustomerDined on 2/19/2014Had reservations for Valentines Day wih my girlfriend. They had no electric, so they had to cancel. The host was very apologetic and gracious. We sat at the dimly lit bar and had a drink or two at their bar. There were a few couples in the same situation. We all had a good time together while the host made reservations for us at another restaurant. My date and I never made it another place, we went bar hopping. However, we did make reservations on the 19th. The food was great, I had the Lobster Ravioli. She had shrimp, scallops and salmon. Everything was cooked perfectly and the wait staff is very attentive and helpful with suggestions. Oh, the lobster bisque is a must try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What happenedLongTimeCustomerVIPDined on 2/17/2014great food but the service was atrocious and the restaurant was not that crowded. in fairness the server did apologize and did comp parts of the meal that never made it out on time but this turned into a very long/drawn out/frustrating process. this was a group reunion and in the end the service/experience made us cranky. for the food that did make it out on time however, it was really great. their oysters are bar-none some of the best in philly, salads were great and filling, great clam chowder and great crab cakes. just wish i got my bread in time to eat it with my soup b/c when it did finally come out it was great.
- Great food and serviceMGoldfishDined on 2/15/2014All the good we ordered between 4 people was great. Lobster roll was filled with lots of meat and the roll was fresh. Appetizers came out quick and hot. Everyone in our party like all the food they ordered and there we no issues with the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seafood delight!IvorybirdDined on 2/15/2014Doc's has the freshest seafood along with wonderful apps and salads. From oysters, clams to crab arancini and Mahi( cooked with a butter herb sauce), everything was delicious. Our server was knowledgeable and accommodating. I would recommend Doc's for a great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A++++JerryBerryDined on 2/8/2014Oysters were absolutely brilliant, great wine list and drinks hidden jewel in U CITYSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly recommend.phillydocsDined on 2/8/2014Our food was very good. I had the seafood cappino and my husband had salmon. Both were done to our liking.Our only complaint was our seating. The room the host chose to seat us in only had one other table of guests in it. He chose to seat us right next to them. They were a party of 8 loud and obnoxious people who tried to out do each other on who's life experiences were better! Even though we know the Host has no control over their conversation, there were plenty of tables in the area where we didn't have to be RIGHT next to them.Special Features:
- Our new favorite place for seafood!catr1018Dined on 2/8/2014It was a great dining experience and our server was friendly and knowledgeable about the menu and made some good recommendations. We had oysters to start and my husband had surf and turf while I had the tuna as a main course. All courses were excellent and our entrees were perfectly cooked. We will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Service was well timed andPeggyDined on 1/27/2014Service was well timed and friendly. The Spicy Crab and Tomato soup was excellent as well as the New England Clam Chowder. The oysters were fresh and delicious. The food was prepared as requested and excellent as always. We have been to this restaurant many times and it never disappoints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My New spotSJC2013Dined on 1/24/2014I was very hesitant about eating raw clams but they looked a bit tasty not to mention my boyfriend was demolishing them lol... They were so good! The service was awesome my meal was delicious! I will be dining here often. They even have all you can eat snow crabs on Mondays!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YUMMMgr8foodVIPDined on 1/20/2014I had the seabass special and my boyfriend has the seafood Cobb. Everything was delicious and very quickly prepared. Good beer selection too. Service was good and the music was fun. We'll absolutely be back!Special Features:
- Fresh seafood and great service....tf111VIPDined on 1/10/2014Fresh seafood and great service....great for lunch too
- Can't Wait to go Back!lovesteakVIPDined on 1/4/2014From the moment you walk in the door, greeted with a smile, to the moment you leave was an experience that won't be forgotten. The staff was knowledgable and friendly and the food was amazing. I can't wait to tell all of my friends about this place and come back again soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My boyfriend and I live ingr8foodVIPDined on 1/4/2014My boyfriend and I live in center city so we go to the same places in our area often. we've been to docs a handful of times now and it is worth leaving center city! Everytime we are there either the bartender or the server is very friendly and the food it always great! They have a great wine list at great prices and seasonally changing cocktails, which is always a plus. Docs is always a two thumbs up!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great oyster selectionTchamber79Dined on 12/31/2013Great restaurant tucked away down Sansom Street in University City with ample street parking. Great choices of fish and preparation options. 9 different oysters were offered at reasonable prices. Sam was a knowledgeable and attentive server. Seabass special cooked perfectly. Request the lower dining room seating area if available for privacy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!FrizDined on 12/31/2013A sizable restaurant with an intimate feeling because of it's many smaller dining spaces, each one decorated differently. For seafood lovers, a wonderful find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!OpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 12/22/2013one of my favorites in the area. love the great service i ALWAYS get.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't wait to go back!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 12/20/2013Recently went to Doc's for the first time--and what a nice surprise tucked away in West Philly! For openers, our cocktails (Bloody Mary and Cuba Libre) were generous and delicious. What followed was a flavorful meal, neatly served by an efficient and personable server named Todd. Truthfully, I wasn't expecting this level of product and service at a campus restaurant. My wife and I had an enjoyable meal at Doc Magrogan's on the U of P campus, and we will definitely incorporate this spot on our regular treks to Penn.Special Features:
- Needs improvingFoodieVIPDined on 12/20/2013I ordered fish and chip. Half way into my eating appetizer, the waiter came to tell me that they actually didn’t have fish and chip that day. My son ordered fried oyster with fries and it came with salad instead. The fried oyster had too much batter. The crab appetizer was just fried rice balls. There was no flavor and no crab. The grilled mahi-mahi was tender, but the green beans was absolutely horrible.
- First time at Docs!PhillyMattDined on 12/19/2013The service was excellent. The waiter suggested some oysters as a starter and he was absolutely right on with his description of the food. They were delicious. The food was outstanding. I can't believe I've never been here, I've missed this gem or too long. I had the blackened salmon and finished with the rasberry parfait. It was a perfect lunch. I loved it so much that I insisted my sister and her husband try Docs. They had dinner there on Thusday night and had a similar experience. You'll surly see me again, maybe for happy hour this week!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- five star lunchlindaDined on 12/18/2013the service is very attentive and friendly. The food presentation is excellent, the portions are very generous and the quality of the food is excellent especially the fish selections which are always fresh! I have never been disappointed with the service or the food. One of my favorite things about Doc Magrogan's is the atmosphere and decor which I just love.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Oyster SelectionDonnieDined on 12/14/2013Had choice of ten different oyster selections. Was a little pricey at $2.50 each. Good Though. DonSpecial Features:
- Good food!ChrisDined on 12/13/2013We had an excellent lunch. Food was delicious. Enjoyed the crab cakes!Special Features:
- Fun!Yarbrough96Dined on 12/5/2013Great service and food was very good! Definately will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZING SEAFOOD AT ITS FINEST!!!cal1dineVIPDined on 12/3/2013IT ALWAYS GREAT TO TRY A NEW RESTAURANT BUT WHEN ITS BANGING THAT SAYS ANOTHER. TODAY AT DOCS THE RESTAURANT JUST ROCKED OFF THE HOOK FROM THE AMAZING AMBIENCE -SERVICE-FOOD. FROM THE FIRST COURSE THAT CAME OUT WHICH WAS THE DYNOMITE LOBSTER SPRING ROLL,2ND WAS THE GOD KNOWS HOW MANY PERFECTLY COOKED SUPER JUMBO SALT WATER SHRIMP,3RD WAS THE BANGING 3LBS MAIN LOBSTERS AND PROPERLY THE MEAT TAKEN AWAY FRON THE SHELL,AND FINALLY 4TH WAS THE OYSTERS FROM AROUND THE WORLD CHEF CHOICE DYNOMITE. THIS RESTAURANT TOOK ME BY STORM I JUST LOVED EVERYYTHING ABOUT DOCS WELL TO SAY THE LEAST THE ONLY PLACE TO EAT SEAFOOD IN PHILA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- greatgoodtogoDined on 12/1/2013Great place host was awesome knowledgeable of menu. Would do again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lobster Month LuckGTicemanDined on 11/27/2013Went in for lobster month and ended up loving the food, drinks, and service. Had raw oysters, a 1 lb lobster, and an apple caipirinha tht was wonderful. Our server Brian was friendly and attentive.Special Features:
- The lobster was good and themadrakaDined on 11/23/2013The lobster was good and the salmon was really well cooked. I got a big private booth for a party of two even though they seemed reasonably busy. The interior decoration and woodwork are beautiful. The menu is straightforward and the portions are generous. I didn't feel like I was paying for pretty garnishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A good time with friendsAngelaDined on 11/23/2013Bar service before dinner was quite pleasant. Food as always was very good. Service was good as well. We had a nice timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 70th Birthday CelebrationCookieDined on 11/22/2013I must say I made the perfect choice in picking Doc Magrogan's Oyster House - Sanson St. My Husband and I had a wonderful time we were treated with excellent service and the food was wonderful. It made my surprise celebration for my husband a night for him to always remember. Thank You!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Ucity Resturant.PhillyguyVIPDined on 11/21/2013Took my son here who goes to Penn. Great meal and service and the food was well prepared and tasty. We look forward to coming in again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ambiance2phoeniciansDined on 11/19/2013Doc's has a fantastic building nestled in a great area. The food is phenomenal. I had the crab cakes and they were meaty and delicious. The slaw wasn't anything special but their presentation was simple yet lovely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.