Doc Magrogan's Oyster House - Sansom Street
3430-32 Sansom Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Doc Magrogan's Oyster House - Sansom Street
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.docmagrogans.com/philadelphia/
- Phone: 2153823474x
- Hours of Operation:
Come visit us Monday-Sunday for Lunch starting at 11:30am-4pm or Dinner from 4pm-10pm. Late night menu till midnight on Wed-Thur-Fri-Sat from 10pm to 12am. Brunch is served Saturday & Sunday from 11am to 3pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Chef Amanda Dipascale
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catering is available. Please call for details.
- Entertainment: LATE NIGHT WED TO SAT $1 Buck-A-Shuck starting at 10pm to 12am.
Wednesday: Quizzo starting at 9pm.
Thursday: Late Night Menu with Drink Specials featuring the $3 Fishbowl.
Friday: DJ/Karaoke & Drink Specials. Late Night Menu.
Saturday: Drink Specials & Late Night Menu.
- Special Events: Monday Buck-A-Shuck starting at 4pm.
Tuesday Lobster Fest $16 a pound; reserve your Lobster now!
Sat/Sun Brunch Featuring Limitless Mimosas/Bloody Marys/Madras till 3pm
Sunday All-U-Can-Eat Crab Legs, reserve your table now!
A word from Doc Magrogan's Oyster House - Sansom Street
We are a fresh Oyster and Seafood House with the largest selection of oysters in the area! Anywhere from 10-20 different varieties that arrive daily and are shucked to order! Enjoy our extensive raw bar along with craft beers, superior wines and seasonal drink list. Our large outdoor seating and patio make any lunch or dinner special.Continued
Enjoy our Buck-A-Shuck $1 Oyster menu starting at 4pm on Mondays and Late Night Wednesdays to Saturdays starting at 10pm.
Enjoy our Buck-A-Shuck $1 Oyster menu starting at 4pm on Mondays and Late Night Wednesdays to Saturdays starting at 10pm.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Doc Magrogan's Oyster House - Sansom Street reviews from OpenTable diners
103 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (45)great for lunch (38)special occasion (32)great for outdoor dining (32)good for groups (31)fit for foodies (29)romantic (26)great for brunch (20)vibrant bar scene (15)late-night find (9)notable wine list (9)hot spot (8)scenic view (6)kid-friendly (6)Show More
- DisappointingUSSkyWalkerVIPDined on 6/12/2014The quality of the oysters is poor including the level of service. The noise level will leave you exhausted. Don't bother! Find another oyster house!
- Love the OystersWeekdayLunchersDined on 6/12/2014My wife and I try to get here every month or two. We split a dozen oysters and a seafood cobb salad. The oyster selection varies, and they are always very good. We choose six different varieties and compare them. Always a romantic treat.Special Features:
- Not so greatBelindatuckerDined on 6/10/2014Food was not good at all. I suspected that some of the mussels and clams in my Cioppino were not the freshest. Some mussels shells were cracked and broken. The broth of the Cioppino was tasteless - no seasoning at all. The portion of linguine was very small. Overall disappointed. Will not go back.
- Great seafood in University CityJM37Dined on 6/1/2014We had a great meal to celebrate a graduation at Doc Magrogan's Oyster House. The food was outstanding. Great fresh seafood including appetizers that were amazing. The Lobster Spring Rolls and Lobster Mac and Cheese were both super. Entrees were fresh, hot and attractive to the eye. Taste was outstanding. Service was pleasant and efficient.Special Features:
- DISAPPOINTEDLuv2eatVIPDined on 5/29/2014I brought three customers to have lunch and I must say it was disappointing. A large table was seated next to us after we were seated and they were served before us. One person's turkey BLT was cold and the fries cold, they have Mahi Mahi tacos listed on two menus and although they are presented on the menu differently, they were the same. The reason two of us ordered the "califormia" style and the cajun was to split them...the wait staff is clueless about how to handle issues. The sandwich and fries should have been taken off the menu or they should have at least offered coffee/dessert. Philly has a lot of great restaurants, if they don't improve their business skills and food service I will not be back.Special Features:
- The following 330 reviews are from the Doc Magrogan's Oyster House - Sansom Street reviews archive.
- Great location on UPenn campusTampaDined on 5/17/2014Great place to go when visiting UPenn. Went there to celebrate graduation . Good was great ... Except the lobster spring rooolls, very little if any lobster but full of greens. The lobster Mac & cheese delic. Sweet potato crab hash... Yummy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable celebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/17/2014Great venue for a memorable graduation celebration. Excellent food and service. Perfect dinner for our group!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lobster Tuesday !NewZagats2VIPDined on 5/13/2014Amazing lobster for only $14 a pound get a 1 pound lobster and it comes with cord add potatoes get the white clam chowder soup but skip the lobster macaroni and cheese it has tomatoes in it, and NO lobster!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very quiet no customersInnovativeDined on 5/11/2014This well located restaurant near the univ of Pennsylvania was without customers at 8:15, we had the back deck to ourselves. The waiter who was friendly did not listen to any of our requests and then very rapidly put appetizer, salad and main course down at the same time. We sent back the salad and main to have it presented after the appetizer. He walk away and with a minute was putting the other courses on the table. With slowly eating, we were rushed out of the restaurant by 9. There were 2 or 3 tables inside eating. A very poor dinning experience. The absence of customers should have told us something.
- Mother's Day lunchReese22Dined on 5/11/2014Made reservations to have lunch here with my daughter for Mother's Day. The dip for the calamari tasted like mayonnaise. The salmon was dry and it was luke warm. The dessert was the only thing that was great but don't ask for two of the same because you won't get it. Sorry but I would not recommend this place to anyone.Special Features:
- Wonderful timeMrsHolland1Dined on 5/10/2014It was my Anniversary, I had a group of 10 we had a blast. Service was great. Drinks were slow getting to us and they were watered down. The food wasn't good, but the atmosphere was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Re-train staffRebootDined on 5/10/2014Slow, sloppy service when the house was less than half full. Sansom Street Oyster House is a must better choice, especially for fresh oysters.
- Best In CityPhillyguyVIPDined on 5/10/2014Best oysters and seafood I've had in city. I eat out 3x a week all over city and the staff and food were fantastic. Todd did I great job serving us and the managers stopped by out table and checked on everyone. Great job all aroundSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great seafood restaurantPSfoodieDined on 5/9/2014This place is my new favorite spot when on Penn's campus. The waiter was extremely knowledgable about the Oysters and the wine - both were fantastic. All the food was excellent - oysters, steamers, Mahi Mahi, and the service was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food At College Hot SpotPonderingPatDined on 5/4/2014Fantastic food, fresh succulent oysters, terrific presentation, to die for lobster bisque. We were there the evening of an all day Oysterfest attended by truckloads of college kids so it was a very loud party crowd. We will go again at a less hectic time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Early dinnerBigCheezDined on 5/2/2014I went to Doc Magrogan's for an early dinner with my family and we had a wonderful time. The food was delicious and the decorations gave the restaurant a charming ambience. I only wish that their fishbowls could be ordered around 5pm!
- Nice surpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/29/2014I was in Philadelphia on business and thought I would meet my niece for lunch and we both love seafood, so I found this place. It was a nice surprise, located in the Penn/ Drexel area, it was easy to find. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The food was good and atmosphere was nice.Special Features:
- Great place with great food!Foodie4Life35Dined on 4/20/2014I've eaten at this restaurant a few times and they never disappoint! I strongly suggest the fried calamari, grilled seafood cobb salad, & the lobster mac n cheese! Fresh food, fast service, & friendly staff!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a great first impression...RobSVIPDined on 4/20/2014Our first experience was on Easter Day for a mid-day lunch. It did not seem overly busy in the restaurant, but our server did not pay great attention to us and our food came out with significant delays. Easter may not be a fair time to judge and unfortunately, you only get one time to make a first impression. Both entrees were served cold and we had to send them back. The server made good by not charging us for our entrees. The food was good, but not great; certainly not worth the prices they would have charged us had it not been cold. We decided that for seafood, Legal is a far better choice. Although it is an interesting space in a great area, we probably will not be back.
- Excellent placeRodmiesterDined on 4/18/2014The food here is incredible, and the atmosphere is very fun. Prices are higher than nearby places but it's definitely worth it.Special Features:
- Seating3711Dined on 4/17/2014We were early for lunch, 4 in our group. Restaurant fairly empty. Were seated in a nice area, smaller room off the bar. Almost immediately after we were seated, the hostess put two at the table next to us with 5 to 10 empty tables surrounding us. Restaurant never filled to the point that the twosome's table was the only open table available. Very curious at seating process.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't Be FooledLuvGoodFoodDined on 4/13/2014Seafood poorly prepared. Went for all-you-can eat crab legs on my second visit here. Won't go back. How can a so-called seafood restaurant not know how to properly steam crab legs???? The crab cake sandwich is god though which I had my first visit.Special Features:
- Happy Hour Buck a Shuck OystersmediafoodieVIPDined on 4/9/2014Our fifth visit in 2014. We love the place for the oysters and the crab rolls.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the oysterseriaDined on 4/7/2014Always clean and never have a fishy smell which is a plus. The service is good and the servers area always polite and nice. A favorite for great happy hours.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Third visit was not goodcaseyDined on 4/5/2014I had been to Doc Magrogan's twice before and had a lovely time both times. But I went with a group of 10 this time and the service was not good and the food was fairly forgettable. One of the reasons I love to go out to eat is to enjoy food that I can't make myself. The ahi tuna that I had was not nearly as good as when I make the same thing at home. Overall disappointing experience but my friends enjoyed the oysters and drinks and we had a nice time otherwise. It's a really nice place for large groups as we had a reasonably private room and it wasn't too loud to have done conversation at the table. I'll go back to dine al fresco this summer but I hope the food is better!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stephan was greatrobinaDined on 4/1/2014Three of us had a fantastic meal, with great wine, tasty beer and excellent service (Stephan was very attentive, knowledgeable and a pleasure to deal with). I would highly recommend Doc Magrogans.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummoTashaEDined on 4/1/2014Tried oysters for the first time! Delicious! Good happy hour menu tooSpecial Features:
- Excellent Seafood RestuarantAndrewVIPDined on 3/26/2014Recommended! Great choice of oysters, and was impressed with the seafood dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent place to dineDreWifeDined on 3/23/2014Thanks for providing wonderful food and good service. Five star.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lobster Roll LoversmediafoodieVIPDined on 3/19/2014The lobster rolls are superb as are the fresh shucked oysters (have some at the bar with a drink/wine before you go to your tab le).Special Features:
- Worst lunch ever in PhillyKennethDined on 3/14/2014The waiter had no social skills or sense of humor and seemed to resent doing anything extra--like bring water without ice. The meal was supposed to be a grilled octopus salad: I couldn't tell what the few small chunks of protein really were (but didn't dare say anything to this surly waiter). The rest of it was a pile of old-looking arugula, overdressed. Inedible. Why would an oyster bar have such a bad sparkling wine by the glass? They should have a few! Surely champagne should be a specialty, given the menu. But, of course, one couldn't make any constructive criticism to this waiter. Please, please improve! We need a good lunch place at Penn and the physical renovations here (elegant black and white decor) did make me hope for better.
- Fantastic diningOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/13/2014Went to Doc Magrogan's Oyster House for seafood. Had a fantastic meal, great service and a wonderful table. It was our first time, but intend going back a few times a month and have already sent friends. It is close to my sons apartment and we love center city. It is a gem in the area, it is a must if you like seafood.Special Features:
- Great again!DiningExpectationsDined on 3/9/2014This is my second time eating at Doc Magrogan's. I went back with a friend because I enjoyed my first experience so much, which was on buck-a-shuck Mondays....even better! The atmosphere is really makes you feel welcome, and food and drink is great. Service is prompt and friendly....everything I expect for a great dining experience. I'll be back next time I'm in Philly! Keep it up!Special Features:
- Out of Blue Point oysters!HughbeedoobeeDined on 3/8/2014First let me say that this is my second visit to Doc's in Philly. We enjoyed our first visit very much. So, I took my husband there for oysters for his birthday. At 6pm on a Saturday they were out of Blue Point oysters. In their defense, I will say that they are the most popular type of oysters. However, to be out of them on a Saturday at 6pm was very surprising. They do have several other kinds of oysters. So all was not lost.
- It was okayXalaVIPDined on 3/8/2014The food was good overall but uneven--two of our dishes were great, two just so-so--and like many American restaurants the portions were far too large. The service was overwhelming--we were given a long speech about the waiter's favorites before we asked and before we were able to look at the menu for ourselves, and then checked in on many more times than were necessary and repeatedly asked if we wanted to order another bottle of water before we were done with the first, resulting in an almost unused bottle when we left. It was fine, but I can't say I'd really encourage anyone to go until they learn to just let you relax and enjoy your meal.
- Variety seafood delightSeafoodHavenDined on 3/6/2014The seafood was excellent. The name of an oyster bar truly lives upto it's reputation. Mussels crab shrimp was all great. Lobster tends to be a little overlooked so ask the chef in advance to go easy if you like it creamy. The batter fried trout wasn't too good and I feel they need to work on their fish section a little more. But the rest was definitely goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Time to have a drink and chat?MMPFVIPDined on 3/6/2014Very good place to drop by after work with a colleague or friend to enjoy a bite to eat and a drink. Staff is very nice and always accomodating. Food is good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food and service was awesome.ShortyDined on 3/1/2014The food and service was awesome. The alcoholic drinks at the bar tasted like a virgin drink but again the food was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Let the celebrations begin….FoodieKAM2VIPDined on 2/28/2014It was a girls night of laughter, love, GREAT seafood, great drinks, and celebration as my some of my dearest girlfriends and I celebrated my birthday and that of my dear friend, Lisa. We could not have asked for a better location. The food was wonderful from beginning to end…appetizers to entrees to dessert, we were very happy! If you want excellent seafood, then this is the place to be!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DispleasedHowdDined on 2/27/2014Found the food very average. Ordered wood-grilled ahi tuna,medium rare, and considered it tough and tasteless. Likely that I will not return. Also ordered a Caesar salad, as I often do when I dine out, and found it very mediocre. Just a unsatisfying experience.