Out of the Blue
215 Elm Street
Somerville, MA 02144Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Out of the Blue
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://outofthebluerestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6177765020
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Wednesday - Friday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Nightly: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Antonio Landaverde
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Out of the Blue
Family owned restaurant specializing in seafood.With an open kitchen and a small bar.We been in business since 2000. We bring to your table the freshest seafood directly from the fish pier .Your food is cooked to order .All the sauces dressings desserts are made in house.Our style of cooking is Italian.We also have grilled, baked and fried seafood and for the non seafood eaters we have poultry,meat and vegetarian options.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Out of the Blue - Best Restaurants in Somerville ›
Out of the Blue reviews from OpenTable diners
16 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (9)fit for foodies (7)good for groups (3)great for lunch (2)kid-friendly (2)notable wine list (2)vibrant bar scene (1)hot spot (1)romantic (1)Show More
- The food was excellent asanonDined on 11/16/2013The food was excellent as was the service. However, the parking situation was impossible. We'll try to return on a Sunday, perhaps.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We've just discovered OUTLuluVIPDined on 10/26/2013We've just discovered OUT OF THE BLUE although we live within walking distance and we have been there twice. Both times we had excellent food in an unpretentious, very pleasant atmosphere. On our most recent visit we were twenty minutes late for our reservation but they held the table for us and our waitress was very helpful, not intrusive and extremely solicitous. The food here is so well cooked, not fussy and very fresh and the prices for food and drink reasonable . We have now made it one of our neighborhood favorites.Special Features:
- Always consistently good food!FoodfavVIPDined on 10/8/2013We live in the neighborhood and this is our go to place for a casual dinner that serves great food. We have been dozens of times and are big seafood lovers. The seafood is always fresh and cooked to perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, poor serviceJohnDined on 9/29/2013We both had swordfish from the grill - excellent. However, there was only one waiter for the entire restaurant and he had to bar tend as well. He did a heroic job, but we never got a dessert menu or saw him after the meal due to his being so busy. We got the check and left after 15 minutes. I don't know if staff had not shown up. It wasn't his fault, and someone else said on a different night there was no problem. The swordfish from the grill was one of the best swordfish dinners I've had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulEatingOutDined on 9/27/2013Great swordfish, cooked perfectly. Good wine, good prices.Special Features:
- Davis Square Gemout2eatDined on 9/26/2013This is our go-to local. In a vibrant square with hip restaurants and trendy menus, it's easy to walk by this place. The awning and murals on the walls date the place a bit and the paper napkins don't feel very special, but don't let any of that fool you. The food here is excellent. Our favorites: Oysters, Spanish Octopus, Mussels in a garlicky broth, Puttanesca, Lobster fra Diablo, Mixed Seafood Grill and the Sole with Risotto. The service is excellent and often the owner will take your order or one of the other long time employees. We are dreading the day that they replace the awning, paint the walls and add white table linens... because then for sure we won't be able to get in the place without a reservation.Special Features:
- We had a great mealCaptainHaddockVIPDined on 9/15/2013First time eating here. It was a Sunday, so a bit quieter than we've seen when we've walked by in the past. We had the specials to start - Grilled Sardines and an Octopus Salad. Both were very good indeed. My wife had the Cioppino and she raved about it. I had the Sesame Salmon - a big piece of fish cooked perfectly right off the grill with a very tasty pan sauce that was obviously made to order. Delicious. We were really too full to have dessert, but we did anyway. The flan was large, nice and firm but airy. The Tiramisu was excellent. The wine list seems to have one of everything. We had the Sancerre which went very well with the fish, and was reasonably priced. We will be happy to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Italian-Themed FishLocalsVIPDined on 8/29/2013Had a wonderful meal at OOTB. Food was excellent. Calamari appetizer was very tender and not too greasy. My cioppino was very good, and everyone else raved about their dishes. Servings were generous, the service was gracious, and prices very fair for what was delivered.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food is very mediocreOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/17/2013The food is very mediocre and very expensive for the quality of food served. If you are into the Florida retirement home scene, involving bland food, overpriced dishes, and tacky ambiance then you will love it here... But, if you are like most people and don't want any of that nonsense then I recommend staying clear of this place
- Great Seafood PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/10/2013Imaginative fish prep with fresh and flavorful seafood.Special Features:
- Out of the Blue is my favoriteKK1029VIPDined on 7/26/2013Out of the Blue is my favorite restaurant in Davis Square. The food is exceptional (try the fra diablo, the octopus salad, the scampi, the tiramisu) and the service is attentive and helpful but never intrusive. This is our go to spot for a great meal in a relaxed atmosphere. I strongly suggest you skip the trendy tacos next door and check it out.Special Features:
- Great foodUmyameDined on 6/24/2013My third time there and once again superb food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- too much of a good thingsayThatAGAINVIPDined on 6/22/2013The cherry stones were SO BIG that they even made a new englander's stomach buckle; not appetizing. The fra diavolo was SO HOT that it was nearly inedible. If you know your seafood, and that is what you want, there are many other more elegant and tasty places to go. Plus, I love open table, but the smaller and perhaps more interesting restaurants in this neighborhood, that are not on open table, looked more intriguing than Out of The Blue. Davis square is a college town with great music and inexpensive fare; no reservations neededSpecial Features:
- Good, reasonably priced ItalianScottVIPDined on 6/2/2013Came here with my wife and a guest from out of town on a Saturday evening. The focus here is definitely on seafood, but the menu is solid across the board. Could be a few more options for vegetarians/vegans. Very nice ambience, and waitstaff was helpful and flexible. Prices are reasonable, plenty of options under 20 and most under 25. We'll be back.Special Features:
- a great neighborhood restaurantsputnikDined on 5/19/2013We come to this place probably twice a month and it's our go to comfort food restaurant. Most recently, we brought our friends from southern France, no strangers to seafood and other delicacies, and they loved it as well. We like the casual atmosphere, the food (their cioppino, pasta sauces and baked seafood are always so tasty) and the friendly service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful seafood!SomervilleoldtimerDined on 5/12/2013Out of the Blue was my first choice for a local Mother's Day dinner restaurant. We've been there a number of times. The food is terrific, starting with fried calamari and going on to any of the seafood dishes. I'm partial to the pastas. I can always find something I'm happy with on the wine list. Don't know about dessert -- have never tried it. This is a reliable restaurant; I've always left happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- North end food in Davis Square.OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/3/2013North end food in Davis Square. Food competes with bar and TV screens. Great fresh seafood, very good wine selection at mid price range.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The fish was flavorless andOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/30/2013The fish was flavorless and overcooked. The crab cake was overwhelmed with tomato sauce--you couldn't taste the crab at all. Also, calling rice "risotto" doesn't make it true; you actually have to cook it that way.
- We shared oysters, I had seafoodOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 3/15/2013We shared oysters, I had seafood risotto and my husband had salmon and all were delicious. This place is truly a neighborhood gem and a refreshing change from other Davis Square restaurants. Will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Friendly and efficient staffPennelVIPDined on 3/2/2013Friendly and efficient staff , tasty not overly fancy food. Nice for a date or small group. Gets noisy when it fills up, which it will.Special Features:
- Went here for a special occasionGyasiDined on 2/14/2013Went here for a special occasion and it was a lot of fun. Good food and good company!Special Features:
- Worst service I have everOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/1/2013Worst service I have ever encountered. One of the member of my group tried to all the better business bureau they were so apathetic towards customer service. Decent food but I wil never return because or the completeand utter disrespect we received from the waiter. I hope they go out of business
- We went on a quiet snowy eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/28/2013We went on a quiet snowy evening with a large group of 8 people. It was easy to hear and have a conversation, the service was great and the food was good and came out quickly.Special Features:
- Our friends loved it!UmyameDined on 1/26/2013This is my second visit. We brought friends who are real foodies and expect their meals reach a high standard. They were not disappointed. They raved about the portabella appetizer and loved their dinner.Special Features:
- Good seafood, but restaurant coldstonegardenerDined on 1/13/2013We came on a very quiet night, so it's hard to rate the noise level. It was cold in the restaurant, maybe because it was so empty (Sunday night). I rated the food good because we all had delicious fish. I didn't give it a higher rating because, even though the fish was good and cooked perfectly, the sauces were all pretty oily and heavy. Maybe if we had ordered plain grilled fish, we would have been happier. I didn't find this to be a neighborhood gem and that's what I was hoping for. I can't say that I'd never go again, but I would adjust my expectations. There was nothing bad, just nothing spectacular.
- Out of the Blue is a veryOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/21/2012Out of the Blue is a very low key restaurant and it has a very relaxed feel inside. The staff we found to be helpful and accommodating. The seafood was very fresh, and some of the best I have had in a while.Special Features:
- My wife and I very much enjoyedOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/27/2012My wife and I very much enjoyed our dinner at Out Of The Blue. We had a fried calamari appetizer, which was lightly breaded, not too greasy, and had a nice and not too gummy/chewy texture. My wife's grilled salmon with roasted vegetables was perfectly cooked and quite fresh. The same could be said for my cioppino, which included a delicious and not too salty broth. We'll definitely be coming back!Special Features:
- Solid Italian seafood. generousPabloNYVIPDined on 10/20/2012Solid Italian seafood. generous portions at very reasonable prices make this very good food even better. kitchen puts out fresh food at unbelievable pace, which is the only problem with this place: they try to get you out too quickly so it's not solace you can linger at to enjoy a drink before or coffee after.Special Features:
- A must go to place! ThisPanky4321VIPDined on 10/15/2012A must go to place! This is my favorite restaurant. We go here all the time and are never disappointed! Great friendly service and even better seafood dishes.Special Features:
- We all enjoyed Out of theNoneVIPDined on 10/7/2012We all enjoyed Out of the Blue but it is far from us. We wouldn't rush back but would certainly go again if in the area. My only complaint was that the tomatoes and mozzarella, while both of good quality, lost something from having been truly ice cold. Probably an adjustment to the temperature of the fridge would help a lot. Our Italian clam appetizer was delicious as was the parmagiana and the salmon. Certainly a good place to visit if you are in David Square.Special Features:
- Go for the Grilled or Baked FishOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/1/2012My husband and I were craving seafood--and also going to the Somerville Theater for a 8PM show--, so we selected OUT OF THE BLUE . It's on line menu looked good. We weren't disappointed at all. I had Baked Haddock with a big side salad. My hubby had salmon with grilled vegies and a baked potato. We both marveled about the freshness of the fish. Excellent. Don't know what their other dishes are like but the simply prepared-- grilled/baked-- fish are terrific.Special Features:
- My favorite spot! I'm a regular.Panky4321VIPDined on 8/14/2012My favorite spot! I'm a regular. Great freshly prepared food.Special Features:
- The fish specials of the dayRichDined on 8/11/2012The fish specials of the day were phenomenal for our entire party of 4. Red Snapper; Swordfish - 2 different ways; and the Salmon. All were presented well and delicious!! All the appetizers were as well, the raw oysters, crabcakes-2 (nice size if you want to share - though no one did. The total was $127 w/o tip which was $30 less than than the other seafood restaurant the previous night. Our entire party can't wait to go back when we're back in the Boston area.Special Features:
- Needs a "real" barOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/7/2012They really should invest in making their bar more than a service station. Trying to flag a waiter who's busy serving tables to get a drink refill kills the bar dining experience. If they had a dedicated bartender with reasonable skills and interesting cocktails I personally would go here more often and I bet others would too. Davis Sq. has too few bar dining options that serve food as good as OOTB. Booze = margin. Having a good bar would better serve existing customers, attract new ones and I'd bet boost the average check amount.Special Features:
- BVBVeeVIPDined on 6/28/2012First time here. A little restaurant that I never would have visited ordinarily, I found it charming with very attentive waitstaff and delicious food. Well worth stopping in for a meal. I plan on returning.Special Features:
- The food was great, and theOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/22/2012The food was great, and the restaurant was very pleasant and flexible as our plans kept changing.Special Features: