Les Zygomates Wine Bar Bistro
129 South Street
Boston, MA 02111Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
Les Zygomates Wine Bar Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.winebar129.com/
- Phone: 6175425108x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, French
- Executive Chef: Robert Fathman
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: Live jazz Tuesday through Saturday nights in our Jazz Bar and Dining Room. No cover. See winebar.com for monthly schedule.
- Cross Street: Beach
- Public Transit: South Station is a block and a half away.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Valet Parking is available Tuesday through Friday starting at 5:30pm. Metered street parking is available daily (please refer to all signage) as are local garages (on Essex between South and Atlantic, on Beach at Lincoln St, and on South at Kneeland)
A word from Les Zygomates Wine Bar Bistro
Tucked away on quiet South Street, just steps from South Station and the financial district, Les Zygomates boasts a French bistro motif and menu, and extensive wine list for your dining pleasure. A full bar is also available, as is a bar menu for lighter bites in one of our two bar areas. Live jazz is featured Tuesday through Saturday nights for both bar and dinner guests.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Les Zygomates Wine Bar Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
79 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (40)notable wine list (37)neighborhood gem (30)romantic (27)special occasion (27)great for lunch (21)good for groups (16)vibrant bar scene (11)late-night find (8)hot spot (8)scenic view (4)great for brunch (3)great for outdoor dining (3)Show More
- Came in with a big work groupNYC1Dined on 2/21/2013Came in with a big work group (11 people). Food and service were great. The only thing was that 1) it was a bit hard to find and kind of a secluded location and 2) I was hoping for a more formal type of ambiance. The ambiance was a mix of formal with the service but the setting, decorations, seating, etc were a bit too casual for somewhere to take my senior managers.Special Features:
- bad specialsjasonDined on 2/15/2013I got the steak au poivre special, I asked for it cooked medium and it was burned and chewy with cold sides. My date got the steak frites which were cooked nicely but the special was horrible.Special Features:
- Really fantastic food andOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2013Really fantastic food and there's enough variety for adventurous foodies (bone marrow, pork cheek etc.) as well as for more conservative palates that just want a good steak. And for a busy Valentine's evening, the service was quite good.Special Features:
- GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2013We went for valentines day and had a nice time. Food was good but not top notch. Still overall we had a nice time.
- Had higher expectations...OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 2/14/2013Overall I was very underwhelmed by our experience. We went there for Valentine's Day and it was just an okay experience. The food was good and service was mediocre. For Valentine's Day they had a special prix fixe menu which we did not order off of, however the only dessert we were really interested in was the Red Velvet Cake that was on the prix fixe menu and not on their regular menu. We asked if we would be able to order a piece of the Red Velvet Cake and our server said "no". We understood that there may not be much left and she said "they did not have the sales they thought on it there was a lot left, but manager told them absolutely no substituting" and left it at that. Not very service orientated here.
- A bit pricy but very goodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2013The food was very good, especially the crepe with wild mushrooms. The portions are on the small side. The wine was excellent.Special Features:
- loved the jazz! was devastatedOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 2/14/2013loved the jazz! was devastated (no, really) that the baked Camembert is no longer on the menu though!Special Features:
- I am French and tend to beOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 2/14/2013I am French and tend to be very critical of French restaurants (often overpriced, pretentious and not authentic), but my compliments to Les Zygomates. I will go back without a doubt. Great wine, great food, great prices and great music!iSpecial Features:
- Great live Jazz during ourOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013Great live Jazz during our awesome dinner. Creme brûlée is incredible and so is everything else. Love the ambience/vibe.Special Features:
- Overall the food was good,OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/14/2013Overall the food was good, but unfortunately the pork chop was dried out. It had great smoke flavor, but just wasn't that juicy.Special Features:
- Lovely lunchDisappointedDined on 2/14/2013A highly satisfying lunch. Look forward to going again.
- Rediscovered and old favorite!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 1/26/2013Rediscovered and old favorite! Had a wonderful time with a large group of 12 - will be back soon!Special Features:
- Les Zygomates is a warm, welcoming,OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/26/2013Les Zygomates is a warm, welcoming, stylish bistro, restaurant, and bar. You can choose your ambiance, but our favorite is the comfortable bistro where you dine on the full menu and listen to wonderful live jazz. Saturday nights with the Yoko Miwa trio is always perfection. The menu offers choices without being overwhelming, and by the selection, it is clear everything is fresh and original. Servers are available and patient, and you never feel rushed. Truly a wonderful evening!Special Features:
- Our food was mediocre at best;OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 1/26/2013Our food was mediocre at best; both entrees (steak and fish) had very little flavor and were tough. The dessert was decent, as was the onion soup to start, but neither was noteworthy. The prix fixe menu is a good value; unfortunately, the food did not deliver.Special Features:
- Excellent food and a greatBostonSoxFanDined on 1/25/2013Excellent food and a great wine list. Definitely a place for wine enthusiasts.Special Features:
- Love this place, mostly forOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/19/2013Love this place, mostly for the live music and ambience.
- We were seated in the Bar/entertainOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/19/2013We were seated in the Bar/entertainment area which was very noisy. Asked to move & was moved to quieter side, but was told that when booking through Open Table the restaurant had no control over where we were seated? Waiter seemed overburdened -- Asked us if we wanted cocktails, we wanted wine and beer. He disappeared for awhile then asked about cocktails again finally got our order for wine. About 10-15 minutes wait for wine though seated almost next to the bar. brought a wrong glass of wine. Finally got meal order in -one of group is admantly gluten free and emphasized this. Waiter assured it was not at all a problem, yet meal arrived - not gulten free and the GF person had to wait while rest of party ate. Service needs work.Special Features:
- Horrible inattentive service--orOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 1/18/2013Horrible inattentive service--or lack thereof--and terrible food. High noise level. Would NEVER go back.
- A favorite spotOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/12/2013We love this place for a fun, leisurely dinner and the music and food are always very good.Special Features:
- Les Zygomates is one of Bosotn'sLloydVIPDined on 1/3/2013Les Zygomates is one of Bosotn's best restaurants. The menu is not exhaustive, but the quality of the indgredients and the preparation are supberb. I had the fish, which was perfectly cooked and melt-in-you-mouth. My companion had the lamb shank which was equally excellent and succulent. The waiter was attentive and helpful. My only reservation was that even though it was not a busy night, the wait for our meals to come out was a little too long for complete comfort.Special Features:
- Zygomates is cozy and elegant,ChiquitaVIPDined on 1/2/2013Zygomates is cozy and elegant, with attentive service, and wonderfully prepared traditional and more creative dishes. A favorite that we have returned to many times, and never tire of.Special Features:
- NYE was a 10 - did I just say that?OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/31/2012Les Zyomates brings energy to an otherwise quiet Leather District at night. Beautiful food - and no wonder the wine and seafood menu is so strong - you are as close to the water as any Seaport or North End restaurant - without the heavy food traffic. NYE dinner was fantastic and the staff was polished especially given the full house.Special Features:
- Second time dining at LesSplewisVIPDined on 12/28/2012Second time dining at Les Zygomates. First time for lunch. Be forewarned that the kitchen closes at 2PM for lunch so get there early. We got there at 1:45 and felt rushed to order. The food and service were good. I had a juicy hamburger and my wife, a tasty cucumber sandwich. Street parking is almost impossible around the restaurant so I recommend the garage at the Price Waterhouse building across the street.Special Features:
- I hosted a mom-son dinnerSharonVIPDined on 12/26/2012I hosted a mom-son dinner with a friend and our two sons at LZ. The evening was a disaster due to bad service and apathetic management.Our waiter took 30+ minutes to bring us our cocktails, another 30 minutes until he took our food order,and when the food arrived it came in such rapid succession that we were not even through with one course before the next course appeared. The crowning blow happened to my son who had ordered the lamb tagine.This is a warning to all!It comes with a spoon full of the hottest ground peppers imaginable.The waiter didn't inform my son of this.He put the spoon to his mouth and is still suffering the consequences.The waiter blamed the service staff offering no apology or compensation for my son's inedible meal.Special Features:
- Hadn't been there in a while,OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 12/21/2012Hadn't been there in a while, but its a great little gem, and we'll plan to return soon !!Special Features:
- Terrific, well informed waiterOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/20/2012Terrific, well informed waiter and excellent food. Great wine list, including top notch wines by the glass.Special Features:
- Very disappointed with ourOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/14/2012Very disappointed with our night. Service was very poor. We waited an hour before we got our main course. Then the steaks were tough. The waiter was very poor and inattentive. It took him over 30 mins to get one drink. What was most annoying was we were clearly not having a good experience and the waiter didn't do anything about it. The food wasn't his fault but he controlled the delivery of the service. A pity as we like the restaurant!
- Les Zygomates is one of ourArchiAliDined on 12/12/2012Les Zygomates is one of our favorite French food spots in Boston. The food is always delicious and their wine list always has interesting and delicious new offerings. If you're looking for a quiet, romantic dinner, this might not be the spot for you - it is a popular spot for the wine after work crowd and their live jazz makes intimate conversations a little more difficult. But if you're looking for a fun feeling, vibrant atmosphere with great food and wine, Les Zygomates is a must!Special Features:
- Very yummy and relaxing date nightOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 12/1/2012I had some of the most delicious oysters I have had in a long time (Wellfleet and Riptide) and was converted into liking beets after trying my husband's beet salad (which I then got as my main course)! The bartender and waiter were friendly and knowledgeable and the whole night was very relaxing. One of the best date nights my husband and I have had over the past year. Will be going back soon :)Special Features:
- it was a slow night, so IOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/27/2012it was a slow night, so I can understand why the music ended at 9. But I can't understand why our server was so inattentive. Our first courses were cold, and our wine empty for 20 or 30 minutes before we were remembered. the delicious food was worth waiting for, and the atmosphere is always great whether busy or not. We ended up only eating appetizers, as waiting for two hours for the main course to be put in was simply not acceptable. But, they did satisfy.Special Features:
- I have been to Les ZygomatesOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/27/2012I have been to Les Zygomates several times and this visit was a mixed bag. On the upside, there was only a piano player in the jazz room so we opted to sit there, which was fine - not too noisy. Our server was very pleasant but incredibly slow, disappearing for long periods. It took about 30 minutes to order wine (and we had to make a substitute since what we requested was not in stock) and about an hour to place our food order. Fortunately, both the wine and our meals were very good.Special Features:
- We really enjoyed our experiencemghjwhDined on 11/19/2012We really enjoyed our experience at this restaurant. Great fresh oysters, a delicious mussel entree. We would've been happy with any of the appetizers and entrees.Special Features:
- Fun bistro!IwatchtoomuchfoodnetworkVIPDined on 11/17/2012This is a terrific "night-out" option. The food is delicious! Upscale but not super inventive - "bistro" captures it perfectly. The Charcuterie plate was fantastic; each selection was excellent (especially the duck prosciutto and the pork rillette) and the mustard and cornichons were the perfect acompaniment. They just kept on bringing us delicious fresh bread to eat with it. The wines were good and entrees (roast chicken with Lentils and Steak Frites) were top notch. The ambience was grownup fun - busy with good live jazz in the background, not particularly fancy but nice enough to satisfy if you are looking for quality, I would come back any time.Special Features:
- fun, vibrant atmosphere withCatherineDined on 11/16/2012fun, vibrant atmosphere with wonderful food, service and wine listSpecial Features:
- We've been here on a few occasions,HallDined on 11/15/2012We've been here on a few occasions, although not very recently. We've sat on the music side and the bar side, this time we sat in the quiet back and it was nice for us. They food is very good and uncommon. Our waiter was alone in the half- filled section (Thursday night) and was oddly absent for stretches. A nice man, knowledgeable, just a bit distracted. That's why the three stars on overall experience.Special Features:
- Being a wine bar, they obviouslyOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/9/2012Being a wine bar, they obviously had an extensive list. We went for lunch and ordered the house red, which was actually very good. For a pinot noir, it was on the dryer side, but was well-balanced. The food was very good as well. I ordered the tuna nicoise salad and my buddies ordered the crispy goat cheese salad and the burger. Everything was good and definitely a nice spot to try out.Special Features:
- What a fun place for a birthday!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 11/7/2012What a fun place for a birthday! The prix fixe menu was an excellent value, the wine options are really great, and the jazz duo (and eventually became a trio when the singer arrived) were really entertaining. Can't wait to go back!
- First visit, would come back.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/7/2012Great little spot for a business lunch. Very comfortable and great food.Special Features:
- I hadnt been to les zyg inOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/3/2012I hadnt been to les zyg in about 8 years. The food is still great, not surprised the restaurant is still around and crowded after all these years!Special Features:
- We've dined here several timesBob1Dined on 11/3/2012We've dined here several times and have always been pleased - good food, good service, nice wines without a stuffy environment - a less formal, comfortable nice place to dine.Special Features: