Les Zygomates Wine Bar Bistro
129 South Street
Boston, MA 02111Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
Les Zygomates Wine Bar Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.winebar129.com/
- Phone: 6175425108x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, French
- Executive Chef: Robert Fathman
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: Live jazz Tuesday through Saturday nights in our Jazz Bar and Dining Room. No cover. See winebar.com for monthly schedule.
- Cross Street: Beach
- Public Transit: South Station is a block and a half away.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Valet Parking is available Tuesday through Friday starting at 5:30pm. Metered street parking is available daily (please refer to all signage) as are local garages (on Essex between South and Atlantic, on Beach at Lincoln St, and on South at Kneeland)
A word from Les Zygomates Wine Bar Bistro
Tucked away on quiet South Street, just steps from South Station and the financial district, Les Zygomates boasts a French bistro motif and menu, and extensive wine list for your dining pleasure. A full bar is also available, as is a bar menu for lighter bites in one of our two bar areas. Live jazz is featured Tuesday through Saturday nights for both bar and dinner guests.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Les Zygomates Wine Bar Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
80 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (41)notable wine list (39)neighborhood gem (30)special occasion (29)romantic (27)great for lunch (19)good for groups (17)vibrant bar scene (12)late-night find (9)hot spot (8)scenic view (4)great for brunch (3)great for outdoor dining (3)Show More
- Pretty goodThinkFr33lyDined on 4/25/2014Fairly standard French bistro fair, although a bit over priced. A solid 8/10.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A lovely surpriseKatemsDined on 4/25/2014Especially for that neighborhood. The menu is small, but well done. The gouda flan with pea tendrils, asparagus and peas was astonishingly tasty. Will definitely go again.Special Features:
- Les Zygomates rocks!hard2pleazDined on 4/19/2014We stumbled on Les Zygomates when our favorite jazz spot was closed for the Easter holiday. What a find! Why did it take us so long to discover this place? Service was excellent;the hostess pleasantly honored the request for a table away from a speaker, because one of us wears hearing aids, and checked twice to ensure that everything was OK; the food was quite good; and the jazz was excellent. Thank you for a great evening!Special Features:
- Theater NightOliveOyleDined on 4/18/2014Nice menu, good wine list, fairly empty restaurant when we arrived at 5:45 for an 8:00 performance at the nearby Opera House. Appetizers took nearly 45 minutes, though one came out immediately. Overall the service was so bad that we had to leave without dessert and the manager took drinks off the check. They have live jazz, a nice place to go if you have the entire evening.
- Hold the Salt...Please!!!wmkotDined on 4/12/2014First visit here. Waitstaff was awesome and sat us at a great corner table until...the obnoxious table of 7 women across from us was so loud the table next to us moved; as did we a few moments later. Got a bistro table at the door. Bread came - stale with over salted butter. I ordered the steak w/fries (healthy portion) and her, the monkfish (insultingly small portion). Hers was mediocre at best, mine though tender was over salted. The fries were soggy and WAY over salted and the spinach was so salty it was inedible. At least the wine was good, as was the staff. Sorry, but won't be back anytime soon.
- Great food!MorganDined on 4/12/2014The food was amazing, I was there with a party of 6 and tried everyone's meal, each one was outstanding!Special Features:
- Fantastic FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/10/2014I had a client lunch meeting there last week and the food was amazing. I had the special "fried chicken with fried egg on top" and it was outstanding. It was my first time visiting and I can't wait to come back again!Special Features:
- Les Zygomates for lunchsansibleDined on 4/9/2014I've enjoyed dinner at Les Zyg (a favorite before I moved out of the area years ago). This was my first lunch visit. We arrived late (traffic & parking issues). They kindly held a table for us. It wasn't crowded. We had a pleasant, leisurely lunch. I had duck confit w/ lentils, fingerling slices, and a tangy mustard sauce. It was overall tasty - the sauce added a bright flavor without being overpowering. The duck was a little confusing. In places, the skin was a bit dry/tough yet the fat underneath hadn't fully rendered. It was still tasty (duck!), not as perfect as on past visits, also (to me) not worth complaining about. As this was my first meal here that was less than absolutely rave worthy, I'll go again (everyone has an off day).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wanted it to be great - butMelissaVIPDined on 3/21/2014Wanted it to be great - but everything was mediocre at best, from service, to food, to ambiance. We felt bad for our server since he appeared to be the only waiter in the restaurant area. Fried oysters were good as were the moules (appetizers) but the duck was dry and lacking flavor. Limited wine list for a 'wine bar' which was disappointing considering that was what originally caught our attention when looking for a good place to try on Fri night. Won't be returning.
- fine lunchbobrDined on 3/21/2014Lunch was fine - server fine. Can't say much more because i just had a salad but it was good all around and will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Losing a littleAndoverJDVIPDined on 3/15/2014This was the first time I was somewhat disappointed. The food lost a little, charcuterie was just ok and certainly too small for $18. The escargot was somewhat dry, prior times there was butter left for bread dipping. The fried oysters had a nice light crust, but were tasteless. Steak and fries was good. My waiter was serving too many tables, so service was slow this time. They can do better (because they have).
- I love the idea of havingBettyDined on 3/12/2014I love the idea of having jazz with dinner. It was a really enjoyable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yoko Miwa is Great!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/8/2014Have dinner in the bar side when Yoko Miwa is playing piano. She is fantastic!I would recommend this to a friend.
- My experience online askingTonyaDined on 3/7/2014My experience online asking questions and booking a reservation was good. People were friendly and helpful. Hostess staff was friendly and welcoming. It's very helpful that Les Zygomates has a sizeable coatcheck, which is very orderly and well-managed. This is very helpful for travelers. The wait staff was slow and forgetful. Our waiter was difficult to understand and didn't seem to know the specials or the menu. The music was delightful and really added to the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliably wonderfulDAELDined on 3/7/2014We have been to Les Zygomates many times and it never fails to be a great evening: great food in a lively but not overly loud atmosphere. We feel like we have stepped off the street in Boston and ended up in a bistro in London or Paris. The service is perfect knowledgeable and friendly without being intrusive. Of course we will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I felt a little rushed whileOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/5/2014I felt a little rushed while having dinner there. I was there for romantic dinner, but instead of feeling relaxed and enjoying the experience had to tell the guy not to rush me with the appetizer.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Convenient locale for bus lunchLoriBDined on 3/3/2014First-time visitors. Location was chosen because of next meeting at Fidelity. Three of us came from South Shore to meet two folks from Cambridge. They took the red line to South Station; we parked in the close-by garage at Essex and South. Service was outstanding; food was very good. I ordered the lobster sandwich, without the bread, which they accommodated, and it was delicious. Others in the party had turkey sandwich, cobb salad, salmon salad and Croque Monsieur. For a party of 5, I prefer a round table. I will return and will recommend to colleagues.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, good service andOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/1/2014Great food, good service and atmosphere. Unfortunately, extremely long wait times, and the food is a bit on the expensive side.Special Features:
- underwhelmedmmerrimanDined on 3/1/2014we were the first diners in the dining room. Our meal took close to 2.5 hours. The escargot was dry. The Duck was dry. The "short rib beef bourginone" was pot roast - NOT short rib. a $28 pot roast. Service insanely slow, especially for the first diners of the evening. The 2nd diners of the evening were seated right next to us also which was odd. On the positive side, the gravlax was good, the halibut special was also.
- Food good, noise and waiter bad.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/26/2014The food was wonderful, but here's what was not so good: 1. We chose the "quiet" so my wife and I could converse over our anniversary dinner. Bad choice: way too noisy. The "band" side, on the other hand, had no band that night and was almost empty. If only we had discovered that before we left the restaurant... 2. I ordered a CC perfect Manhattan -- was served a CC martini. Not bad, but not my choice. 3. Desserts were delivered only after the waiter was reminded twice, perhaps 20 minutes after ordering. Were served two complimentary glasses of dessert port wine to compensate. The wine was very goo and appreciated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Food and Good WineColleenDined on 2/14/2014I went to Les Zygomates for Valentine's day and I was not disappointed. The restaurant called me a few days ahead of time to confirm my reservation and asked if we would like to be seated close to the live music or in a quieter section of the restaurant and they listened to our request to be near the music. Even though we had a reservation for 8:15, we were seated closer to 8:35 but I wasn't very surprised since it was Valentine's day. While we waited we got cocktails at the bar. The cocktails were delicious. Service was good and the food was great. Everything we ate was delicious. My favorite dish I ordered the fried oyster appetizer with chinese sausage and a bbq sauce. I will definitely be back for the after work dollar oysters.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Biz LunchMisterParticularDined on 2/10/2014Had a nice business lunch here this week, my first time in the restaurant, service and food were excellent, comfortable spacing for private conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great after a long day's meetingPatriciaDined on 2/4/2014The group that I booked this event for raved about the entire experience at Les Zygomates. What's left to say?? Kudos.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a good nightTastyDined on 1/31/2014This was my first time at Les Zyg's in about 2 years, and it's has gone down hill and is no longer a decent place for dinner. The service was so slow that the oysters I ordered arrived to the table in a puddle of melted ice. A table next to me that was seated after I ordered my meal was served their main course before my appetizer was delivered. The steak frites were completely raw, when ordered medium. There was not adequate waitstaff for the amount of tables, my waiter had way to many tables for one server and could not keep up. I will not go back.
- Fabulous food. We would goFridaynightlightsVIPDined on 1/31/2014Fabulous food. We would go back again and would recommend it highly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A fine jazz-dinnerLionDined on 1/24/2014We had a very nice dinner there, I came from Bavaria, my first time in Boston, and Miranda, who attended us perfectly, very friendly and competent, brought me just the beer I liked, her co-workers were very attentive, too, food was good, the music was good, alltogether a place, where I would go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ambiance so so foodBistrosDined on 1/18/2014The jazz and ambiance is worth a glass of wine and appetizer. My steak tar tar app and lamb shank were good with lots of flavor. However my wife's beet salad was primarily lettuce with a couple of pickled beets. Her vegetable risotto was inedible. It was so salty that we returned it. They didn't charge us and served us myriad of deserts on the house. I would still recommend this neighborhood gem for the music and cool decor and chalk the so so food up to simply an off night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Music and foodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/17/2014We sat by the band ,which was great but it was loud. You had the option of sitting somewhere quieter. Overall great I got a farro mushroom dish. The rest ordered salmon an swordfish. I tried them all and all good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very French - Very Good!GMAN90125VIPDined on 1/11/2014With live music most nights and great French food Les Zygomates is always a good option.Special Features:
- DisappointingJsbuxtonDined on 12/31/2013We went for New Year's Eve. Live jazz band was very good but we were seated too close and could not have a conversation. The service was VERY slow. We did not receive our entree until midnight. Also there was a draft coming through a nearby emergency exit door making it cold where we were seated. Food was inconsistent and overpriced. I would go again for drinks but not for the food.Special Features:
- Zygomates...GordyVIPDined on 12/31/2013NYE @ Zy ... was spectacular ... Music was wonderful, dinner was to die for ... veal chop and steak ... purrfectly cooked medium rare (pink in the middle!) ..PRIX FIX was only $64 a piece plus we had an excellent bottle of wine. Was a friendly, attentive, efficient wait staff ...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A good Friday stopadamsjDined on 12/21/2013I always enjoy the restaurant. It is very wine-centric and there are few places in Boston that pay attention to wine as Les Z does. The cooking can vary quite a bit, however. It is seldom bad, but the chef sometimes throws too many ingredients in a single dish and fails to bring out the taste in the main ingredient.Special Features:
- Still Superb After All These YearsSrdillDined on 12/20/2013As Les Zygomates approaches its 20th Anniversary, the quality of the experience that was so memorable when they first opened has only improved. The combination of attentive service at the bar while we waited for our party to arrive and the equally mindful service in the dining room conveyed a feeling that we were special guests throughout the evening. The drinks were delicious, the oysters superb. The scallops and the swordfish dishes were perfectly prepared, with delicate flavors and pleasant combinations of vegetables and sauces. A thoroughly enjoyable meal was capped off by the lightest Creme Brûlée we've ever tasted. The jazz throughout the evening was excellent, as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid place for work lunchZineVIPDined on 12/16/2013Reliable place for lunch. The food is flavorful and is exactly what you expect from reading the menu. I come here quite often. Service is always considerate and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Find for the HolidaysMarionDined on 12/11/2013The menu had quite a variety of items and the specials were amazing. Our meals were absolutely delicious - we had the grouper over vegetable risotto. The drinks were amazing. Our server was very nice, but was serving several tables and we were waiting quite a while for our drinks and meals. This wasn't an issue for us as we had plenty of time to relax and enjoy our meals, but if you are in a hurry to go to a show or another activity, notify your server so they can accommodate your schedule.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very pleasant holiday luncheonOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/11/2013Very accommodating for our group of 8. Wide selection on the menu, there was something for everyone. The food and especially the desserts were pleasing. We definitely will be back.Special Features:
- LovelyDCBostonVIPDined on 12/10/2013A lovely meal with great drinks. Onion soup is yummy. Arugula salad was devine. The charcuterie board left a little to be desired...too much duck... and they should really mention what is actually going to be on it. The wine was delicious and from a great selection. The dessert specials were phenomenal. Salted Caramel Ice Cream and Spiced Orange Sorbet. Yum! The place was beautiful, too. Dim lighting to make it romantic. And we sat in the brick walled room with red half-booths. Very nice. I would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ambianceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/4/2013Took some visiting friends and they were really pleased. The food seemed improved from the last time I was there - I am not a huge 'foodie' but my more gourmet friends gave it the thumbs up.... I really love live music and always sit on the music side of the restaurant. The bass and piano player were very good the other night, and it was 'super wow' when their singer joined at about 7:30 pm. She was **awesome**. So talented! A great bistro with music bonus!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet at lunchRegulardinerVIPDined on 12/3/2013This place was virtually empty on a Tuesday for lunch. Food was good and service fine. Pricing is reasonable. It is a good spot for a business lunch in this area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First timer, now a fanOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 11/25/2013I brought a guest here for her first time -- we both ordered one of the specials (the sole) and it was magical. She said it was the best lunch she'd ever had in Boston (and she's lived here a while). Thank you for being so consistently great.Special Features: