101 4th Street
San Francisco, CA 94103Neighborhood:
SushiPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.sanraku.com/sanraku.html
- Phone: 4153696166
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily 11:00am-4:00pm
Dinner: Su-Th 4:00pm-9:00pm
Dinner: F-Sa 4:00pm-10:00pm
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: Sushi, Seafood, Japanese
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Sanraku Metreon
Sanraku Metreon is tucked into Yerba Buena Gardens, located inside the Metreon in SOMA, just a short walk from several of SF's best museums, the Moscone Center, Imax and other movies. We serve only the freshest fish, with a great selection of traditional sushi and cooked dishes in our very complete and imaginative menu. Diners' favorites include: sesame chicken, oyster shooters, whole grilled squid with our memorable sauce, salmon salad, tender and flavorful harami skewers, the lunchtime bento box. We are pleased to serve our Vegetarian Sushi to our non-fish eating diners.Continued
Come treat yourself to the Sanraku Metreon dining experience in our newly remodeled space. Our chefs and friendly staff await you..
Come treat yourself to the Sanraku Metreon dining experience in our newly remodeled space. Our chefs and friendly staff await you..
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sanraku Metreon reviews from OpenTable diners
38 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (13)great for lunch (11)neighborhood gem (9)good for groups (7)kid-friendly (4)great for brunch (3)hot spot (3)great for outdoor dining (2)special occasion (2)scenic view (2)late-night find (2)romantic (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Great Foodren808Dined on 11/8/2013Treated the birthday boy to dinner before watching Thor. It was both our first time there. Everything we ordered tasted great. My favorite was the Naked Uni w/ Green Tea Sea Salt and the Poppo Yaki. Service was good despite them being constantly busy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- professional, courteous and tastyFlipDined on 11/6/2013Friendly and helpful staff. Great place to have a business lunch. Was less busy than I thought it would have been during the lunch hour, but I don't think that was a reflection of the food quality. I enjoyed my meal and my experience there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super fresh sushimomoftwoVIPDined on 11/2/2013Waiters are attentive and speedy. With two kids we need food fast and they deliver. One of the freshest sushi in the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a surprise!QuickvisitDined on 10/30/2013Located in a food court - but didn't feel or taste like it. Sanraku's sushi, service and saki was outstanding. The cost was a bit pricey, but I feel like I paid for what we had. The fish was fresh and the uni sweet Miso soup was perfectly flavored and service timely. If you're in the area and love sushi, this place is a sure stop.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dinner SpotJoshuaDined on 10/7/2013My wife and I were in the mood for some sushi and heard about this place online. The service was outstanding; they were extremely friendly and also very quick. We also judge sushi restaurants by their special rolls, so we ordered a new one (forgot the name) that had tempura fried yams and crab. It was delicious. We were a little surprised this place was in the Metreon complex with a Target and movie theater, which meant this restaurant was in a food court. However, they did a good job with the decor because you really didn't feel like you were in food court.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great settingSFconfglDined on 10/3/2013Close to Moscone convention center and in Mall but it does not feel like it because it has a door by the courtyard with outdoor sitting. Great option instead of conference food. Quick service. Great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 9/27/2013Sanraku is a nice family-friendly Japanese restaurant. Really good food quality, much better than average. Service is friendly. A favorite lunch spot for many, also popular for dinner, before or after a movie. Last year's remodel added outdoors seating. Tips: - Seasonal chef specials (appetizers and sushi) are posted on little signs at each table. - Dinner service includes a complimentary little serving of fresh fruit (usually pineapple and melon) with the check. Notes: - Another reviewer is wrong. Few menu items are fried: nanban, sesame chicken, katsu, and tempura. That's it. - Fish quality is very good, but it's not a high end snobby sushi bar. For fancy sushi presentations and pricey Japanese food, go to Roka Akor instead.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Off the path, but worth itGoodfoodDined on 9/10/2013It took me a bit to find this place, but the sushi was great and the staff were helpful in finding a great sake!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice surpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/8/2013Staying downtown, I looked this up and found it was near my hotel. I was concerned to see it in a mall of sorts, but when my first dish came out.....I became adventurous and decided to try something else. The Omakase was fantastic! I would go back again and look forward to whatever the chef wanted to serve.Special Features:
- Mall diningtrupsDined on 9/7/2013Would be a cute place for lunch, or dinner for locals. But it's in a mall/theater building, so a little disappointed for our one night for dinner in San Fran. I guess I should have done more research. I have no complaints about the sushi/rolls. And the servers were VERY nice and friendly, and also quick. A solid GOOD experience.Special Features:
- Service was very slow andOpenTable Diner Since 2000Dined on 8/16/2013Service was very slow and unattentive for our lunch. We had reservations and were seated immediately, but no one returned to take are order or serve us water. We finally flagged someone down, but only because we were sitting right next to the cashier. The same for when we wanted our check.Special Features:
- Team Building at SanrakuViroDined on 8/2/2013Our small group had our team building lunch at Sanraku. Since we had only 1 1/2 hrs to eat lunch, restaurant was great in getting us our appetizers ahead of time. The table for 13 was ready and situated where we could have energetic discussions. Appetizers (tempura, seaweed salad, edamame) were fresh and delicious. Snowy sake and bamboo plum drink were sweet and refreshing. Sashimi lunch was good. Location is great being close to 5th and mission and bart.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- unique sushi place next to moviesyellow578VIPDined on 7/26/2013I wasnt expecting much for a sushi restaurant next to the food court at the movie theatre. I was surprised at their extensive sushi list. Not alot of restaurants carry live abalone and fatty tunas. So delicious and service was great. Not over bearing but attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food & serviceJoanDined on 7/22/2013the food was very good and the service was very good as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent mealJenstarVIPDined on 7/19/2013Excellent meal, great service and a delicious experience prior to catching a movie.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go ahead you won't be dissapointedDRAG0NEYESDined on 7/12/2013The sushi is fresh and on the normal to slightly bigger size. Some places serve smaller size sushi for the same or more price. Added benefit of having a movie theater next to it is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OK for a quick pre-movie dinnerJoelVIPDined on 7/9/2013The gyoza were very, very good. Overall the food was fair. There was little on the menu (apart from the sashimi) that didn't include an ingredient that was fried (and this includes the sushi and rolls). But it is convenient if you're going to a movie (probably the best option in the Metreon center), and is reasonably priced. I would go back.
- Crammed!jadeDined on 5/30/2013While the food is quite good - and ample, Sanraku squeezes in its customers so close that it is nearly impossible to sit without hitting another chair or a wall. Getting in or out of our seats almost had to be choreographed. And the service was pretty spotty. Too busy and noisy for a business lunch!
- Good easy lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/20/2013This was perfect spot for lunch for anyone going to conference at nearby conference center. The service and food was great.Special Features:
- good place to go if you aremdf1Dined on 5/14/2013good place to go if you are going to the metreon theater. quiet, decent food and convenient.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not really in the food courtBongomaukaDined on 5/11/2013Modern, sleek Japanese restaurant. Tables to eat outside on plaza. At times expensive but the portions generous, fish very fresh, ample selection. Service quick, efficient but one of our servers was new and uninformed. Chirashi sushi w/nice selection of sushi. The pork tonkatsu, sesame chicken, unagi donburi and chicken curry was big & tasty. Had the sashimi/sushi combo, just okay, not outstanding. Would definitely recommend this as and hefty portions wouldn't disappoint. Especially if you're here pre or post movie.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite for yearsOpenTable Diner Since 2000Dined on 5/8/2013Sanraku remains my favorite sushi/Japanese restaurant in SOMA. Actually it is one of my all time picks for sushi. Fresh and well prepared always. Nasu Nigiri is a treat, and try Sanraku tofu for a special taste!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Located in the metreon, it'sVHung08VIPDined on 4/20/2013Located in the metreon, it's almost a part of the food court. But having said that, they are very accommodating and my go-to spot for Japanese food and bringing friends to from out of town. My favorite is the fried squid and the sake clam soup they make for me especially. I wish they would put the item back on the menu because I order it every time.Special Features:
- Our family favorite for sushiljones99Dined on 4/20/2013Even though the location in the Metreon doesn't have the best ambience, we love the quality of the sushi here!
- Loved it, but really casual.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/7/2013Two friends and I were in SF to run the rock n roll half marathon and went here for our post race dinner. It is in a mall, so the ambiance is only ok. The service was excellent. Our sushi was fresh (we ordered the sashimi platter) and their specialty rolls were absolutely delicious! We loved the 49er and the 101! It would be a great spot for a casual lunch and dinner. We were hoping for a little more atmoshpere, but it was a block from our hotel so it worked out fine. I would absolutely eat here again if I was in the city!
- Nothing specialOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/5/2013I took the boyfriend out for dinner and a movie for his birthday. We couldn't get a reservation at a nicer place so we booked here. To keep this short and sweet: 1) It's basically in a food court. Not really a restaurant feel. 2) The servers hover so much I was waiting for her to start spoon feeding me. 3) The food all came at the same time. No time to enjoy the tempura app which was pretty good. 4) His sushi was pretty nice, he enjoyed it. I don't like sushi but I LOVE Japanese curry. I wish it would have been beef curry. What they served me was beef stew without the potatoes, and a side of sushi rice. So I would recommend this place for casual sushi dining but that's it.
- Excellent - very traditionalOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/24/2013Excellent - very traditional sushi superb quality. I could be heard and I could hear - what a relief from those noisy pulsating rooms where you really don't want to talk to your dinner companions.
- Poor service, which improved!DianeDined on 2/28/2013My only issue with Sanraku, where I've eaten many times while at the Moscone for business, is that I was seated off in a corner---resulting in a 20 minute delay before a waiter noticed me to offer a beverage, and another 25 minute delay in bringing food (completely missing the miso soup which should have preceded the food). After noticing both of these incidents, the service became much more attentive, and the food was (as always) fabulous.Special Features:
- I know, I know, this placeKristinaDined on 2/19/2013I know, I know, this place is located right next to a food court, so I should have known better. It was definitely overpriced for what you could get somewhere else. The food was mediocre and wasn't anything really special. And the service wasn't great...I had to ask a few times for the waitress to refill my water and dinner dishes came out separately.
- Miso over rude hostess on Fridays!MugsyVIPDined on 2/15/2013The bento box on Friday is miso salmon and deep fried siumai, which is a little greasy but tastes pretty good. For $12 I consider this a pretty good value considering you are also given a small salad of mixed greens, miso soup, a bit of seaweed salad, and three pieces of California roll. It's a lot of food! However, on this occasion, the hostess at the front desk was very rude...no hello, thank you, no smile, just a glare and hostile body language. Otherwise, service here is excellent and friendly. They refill your water and tea often and are fast and efficient.
- Tempura wasn't very good!JudyDined on 2/13/2013Tempura wasn't very good! Bento box just ordinary.
- good, prompt and cordial serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/7/2013good, prompt and cordial service despite busy lunch-hour traffic, good foodSpecial Features:
- just a lovely place. greatOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/1/2013just a lovely place. great sushi rolls. very nice.
- Recommend :)BobMVIPDined on 1/30/2013I really enjoyed this sushi restaurant in a food court!! It's actually behind the food court and I didn't see it at first. The food and service are great. I'll be back again, and again...Special Features:
- Been here many times. TheDannyDined on 1/29/2013Been here many times. The food is delicious. The service was excellent. We would definitely come back again.Special Features:
- Great restaurant & locationOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/28/2013Came here for lunch with an old colleague to catch up. She loves sushi as I do as well so I searched for a nice sushi place nearby our workplaces. For a restaurant in a food court, it was very nice. It is inside the Metreon but it didn't feel like we were in a food court. The staff was attentive & very quick service. Clean & to be honest, it is a good spot to go for a date. Sushi was great, we started with edamame which was tasty then we ordered the Giants roll, Spicy tuna, Philadelphia roll, 49ers roll & miso soup which stayed warm the whole time I ate my meal which is a plus for me. It's not the cheapest place to get decent sushi but it is very yummy. I will be back in the futureSpecial Features:
- Great idea for sushi whenSMARCINVIPDined on 1/19/2013Great idea for sushi when waiting for your movie to start. Much better than the food court.Special Features:
- They were incredibly solicitousOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/11/2013They were incredibly solicitous to our group and really made the dinner into a special occasion for my friend, the birthday girl. The food was fresh and tasty.Special Features:
- Pleasant surprise.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/11/2013Surprisingly great sushi and Japanese food. Restaurant is located in the mall, but food was really good.Special Features:
- Dinner before movie.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/11/2013Nice meal before a movie at Metreon. Better than the other food-court options. Top service.Special Features: