7402 Germantown Ave.
Philadelphia, PA 19119Neighborhood:
Latin AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cantinaavenida.com/
- Phone: 2673856857x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm;
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm,
Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, Latin / Spanish, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Edgar Alvarez
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Delivery, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catering options are available, please inquire with the restaurant directly.
A word from Cantina Avenida
Cantina Avenida has the best margaritas in town! We have amazing Latin street fare and small plates for everyone. Check out our Crab Nachos and Crispy Fried Calamari with tomato habanero sauce. Cantina Avenida's Mole fries with vegetarian chorizo, Chihuahua cheese and pasilla mole sauce are simply amazing.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Cantina Avenida - Best Restaurants in Chestnut Hill ›
Cantina Avenida reviews from OpenTable diners
50 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (36)neighborhood gem (29)fit for foodies (19)kid-friendly (18)good for groups (16)great for lunch (9)great for brunch (8)special occasion (6)romantic (5)vibrant bar scene (3)scenic view (2)hot spot (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Wish I knew about Taco TuesdayQuakerSigDined on 8/27/2013I made a reservation for 5 to take my family out for my daughter's birthday. We arrived to find that the Tuesday menu entree's at Avenida were limited to three tacos, wit sides. We made due with a variety of small plate appetizers and some tacos. All of the food was good, and the service was attentive. And we appreciated the table side visit from Edgar, one of the owners. No complaints about the food, we just wish we could have experienced the full menu for this special occasion.Special Features:
- A quick trip to Latin America1stdateDined on 8/24/2013My wife and I took another couple to this neighborhood gem located between Chestnt Hill and West Mount Airy, and it was like a weekend trip to Latin America. The margueritas were balanced but not overpowering, and the grouper and crabcakes had complimenary salsas that brought out their fresh flavor. The desserts were outstanding, es[ecially the one with ice cream and a brownie! One entree came out late, so I got a free marguerita. I'll make that trade all night long.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice to try something differentMikeVIPDined on 8/16/2013Great food, a bit over priced for what you get I think. Great sangria! Overall nice little place with very nice service! Very friendly, quaint little atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So-soCaptainSteve82Dined on 8/10/2013We eat here every couple of years. We did not have a great dining experience this time. It took 15 minutes to get a drink. Our table was on a spot on the patio where one of the pavers was depressed. I kept having to move my plastic patio chair to avoid the hole. I just couldn't get comfortable. Add to it a neighboring table with three cute but rambunctious kids, and the atmosphere was just not what I expected. The service was so-so. I could tolerate all of this for great food, but I wouldn't call it that. Maybe we were all having an off night?
- Avenida- Good ambiance and pleasantLizzyDined on 8/8/2013Major complaint is the lack of complimentary tortilla chips while guests are reviewing the menu.Special Features:
- Great DiscoveryOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/2/2013We needed an informal dinner before a Friday night event in Germantown and Avenida was a great find. Tasty food, excellent service, and when we shared our tight schedule with our server she made sure everything happened in good order. Sorry we could not stay for desert. My wife had the cucumber soup and the mussels. I had a summery fish skewer over rice. It was happy hour and the $5 margaritas and sangria were perfect! All fresh fruit and fruit juice and good sized. Just what we needed for a warm evening. Not very convenience for us in terms of location, but we'll be glad to come back whenever we need a meal in this vicinity.Special Features:
- Nice little placeexpectantdinerDined on 7/26/2013Great fish dishes, with creative twists. Will definitely be going back, and I also want to go to taco night on Tuesdays.Special Features:
- Have been here many timesOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/23/2013Have been here many times and love this place. But food was just ok this time. Service was great as usual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Taco TuesdayOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/23/2013I've been to Avenida many times (and always loved it. Make sure you get the grilled octapus), but this is the first time I went to their Taco Tuesday event, three tacos and three sides for $20. The food was absolutely delicious and I was completely stuffed. Add to that the fact that we ate during their Mexican Happy Hour serving $5 mojitos, sangria and margaritas (the prickly pear one was incredible), and we had the perfect meal. I definitely plan on going again next Tuesday!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/21/2013Avenida is a neighborhood Gem! From the blood orange mojitos to the wonderful appetizers and entrees, I have found a new staple for my husband and I. The waiter gave wonderful service and we never wanted for anything. Thanks!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were a party of 4 and orderedDinesalot2VIPDined on 7/20/2013We were a party of 4 and ordered guacamole Chips and salsa.... Very dissappointed with the Small amount especially for the charge!! The steak dinners were disappointing. Have been to the restaurant before and was Hoping these dishes had gotten betterSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food, service, and bartenderOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/20/2013Food, service, and bartender were all outstanding!! Every time we like it more and more. Our go to spot! Best margarita ever!! the scallops are the best we have ever had!!Special Features:
- Great restaurant. Really enjoyedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/20/2013Great restaurant. Really enjoyed food and staff. It was a little warm-ac struggled to keep up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- On the verge of being really goodlivetoeatVIPDined on 7/19/2013This was our second visit to Avenida in two months and the issues that bothered me about it at that visit were still present this time, with the addition of a real lack of airconditioning. It's a nice place and the people are very friendly. However, they're just not that professional. Empty glasses are left on the table and - my pet peeve - servers never know who ordered which dish and stand there and have to ask the diners. This isn't a complicated thing to learn, and it would really professionalize the operation. The noise level when it's busy and fans are whirring is really, really loud. Curtains, tablecloths or other things to absorb noise would definitely be helpful here. The food is good, some items definitely being better than othersSpecial Features:
- very hotHeatwaveDined on 7/18/2013The day was very hot and without AC the experience was quite uncomfortable.
- The value at this Latin AmericanOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/14/2013The value at this Latin American restaurant is terrific. The pitcher of Sangria seeved six. The large bowl of gazpacho was a different recipe from the usual, and quite good. The chicken portion was a half chicken served with yucca fries that were excellent. The sea bass was a very large piece of truly delicious fish, served with an interesting rice. The veal was tasty and came with sweet potatoes and broccoli rabe. The pork dish got raves and came with a side dish that tasted like a quiche. The flan was particularly good for dessert. And, the prices were quite reasonable. The atmosphere is casual and it was not too crowded, so the six of us had no trouble hearing one another. We will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent experiencesquireDined on 7/9/2013We enjoyed our dinner at Avenida very much - food was excellent, wait staff was very attentive, the waitress answered all our questions very patiently. A great exprience!Special Features:
- Avenida a winnersbhbDined on 7/5/2013Welcoming staff and tasty $5 margaritas combined with a trio of seafood appetizers made for a tasty, light dinner during a heat spell. We enjoyed fried oysters, calamari, and grilled octopus. The latter came with fresh greens so delicious that they almost made an accompanying salad with fried goat cheese superfluous. The waitstaff was welcoming and attentive. We will go again soon to sample some entrees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't order the guacamole!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/30/2013Guacamole on menu served in a little pot, about 2 oz, with 2 other little pots of salsa. Chips were soggy. Compare this pathetic dab of guacamole to the generous bowl you get at El Vez or El Rey. This was a total rip off for the price.
- Fabulous!! Great food! GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/29/2013Fabulous!! Great food! Great service! Great bartender! Can't wait to go back!!!Special Features:
- Never disappointskandcVIPDined on 6/22/2013This is a hidden gem and not sure we want to let everyone know!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our fave neighborhood spots!mamagrainneDined on 6/21/2013Always a pleasure at Avenida - great food, friendly staff, and a great kids' menu (try the Diegotini!) The place my kids chose for their end-of-school/beginning of summer celebratory dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gemOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 6/16/2013I have only been to Avenida a couple of times, but each time has been a wonderful experience. Their distinctive flavors and beautiful atmosphere make for a very unique, enjoyable experience.Special Features:
- Our first time, but not our lastOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/15/2013Food was terrific. The service was even better. Convenient dinner stop on the way to the Keswick.Special Features:
- The hostess and staff werebobbieDined on 6/14/2013The hostess and staff were all very friendly and accomodating. Our Margaritas were great. The food was good, but not very exciting. The service was pretty bad. Our appetizers came out at least 10" before the chips and guacomole, and that was about 25" after we sat down. About 15" after our appetizers, the waitress walked over and gave us menus asking if we wanted dessert. We told her we hadn't even gotten our dinners. All in all, not a terrible experience and I would probably try the restaurant again. I don't like to judge the first time around.
- Poor serviceTheitalian8VIPDined on 6/14/2013The food was very good but the waitress was unattentive and didn't seem to care. We had been there before with great service so hope just this time.Special Features:
- awful serviceEmilyDined on 6/8/2013Avenida disappointed. We asked to be seated outside but when they led us out, there was only 1 chair at the table and after the hostess argued awkwardly with a busser, she decided we couldn't sit outside. When our server came over, she told us normally she would list the specials but they are out of all of them so she didnt know what to say. Another server helped bring out food and kept heckling us, like at a TGIFridays. Like "you can't go home until you finish that mousse!" And "Here's the chicken, and oh these scallops must be for me!" It was strange. Food was fine, dessert was lacking. 1 option had "Melba" sauce and when we asked what that was nobody knew. 3 different people came over to tell us they had no idea. We won't be going back.
- D-E-L-I-C-I-O-U-SAndrewEatsDined on 6/8/2013You know a place is excellent when you truly do not want too many people to know. We were attracted to AVENIDA because a friend has a gluten-free diet and she was referred to this restaurant. From the moment we walked in (from a convenient parking spot) we were greeted by the enthusiastic bar tender and the ambiance of the warm and inviting decor. Connie, our youthful, spirited and knowledgeable waitress knew the menu as if she was cooking each and every dish. Aside from delicious margaritas, we were blown away by the succulent grilled octopus; you MUST try it. As Connie stated, this appetizer takes more prep time than any other dish in the restaurant - and it is worth it. Everything we tasted was wonderful! HIGHLY Recommend.Special Features:
- again with pleasureMarshaKVIPDined on 6/8/2013our repeat dinner was just as wonderful as the first .... soft shell crabs, scallops, duck, calamari and ribs --- all disappeared from our plates like magic.... were able to sit outside, which always makes everything so much nicer the desserts were also well done a good tempranillo topped off an excellent meal will be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food in Chestnut Hill!sashaVIPDined on 6/8/2013The food is very authentic and innovative at the same time. The black bean soup is exquisite!! I also loved the octopus. It was a very busy night and the food arrived a little late. We were having a great conversation and did not mind the delay.Special Features:
- Great time, la comida es muyOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/1/2013Great time, la comida es muy sabrosa, and the service is excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Latin ambiance in colonial bldgRyanDined on 6/1/2013The traditional architecture of colonial America seems to work well for Avenida's mostly Latin American menu. The outdoor seating is very nice, weather permitting. The menu is somewhat eclectic but what we had was good to very good, but not great. The only real complaint was the noise level indoors at prime time, but that became better when a few of the tables became unoccupied. We'll come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Went to Avenida with my 92-year-olddadandgirlsDined on 5/25/2013Went to Avenida with my 92-year-old dad and a friend. Had been to Avenida in the past, and it was always so noisy inside that I couldn't really enjoy conversation. The weather wasn't conducive to outdoor dining this time. We went really early on a Saturday evening this time. We were seated immediately. The waitress was very patient with my dad and answered all of his questions in a good-natured way. The food was really delicious, and all three of us cleaned our plates. The only complaint I have is that the waitress brought out dessert menus before we were finished with our meals - we were still eating, the plates weren't cleared, etc. Otherwise, we had a nice evening here. Would definitely return.Special Features:
- Good food, weak servicelivetoeatVIPDined on 5/18/2013It's a shame that the service doesn't live up to the quality of the food at Avenida. I've never before been to a restaurant where the server brought a dish to the table and announced that she didn't know who had ordered it since she didn't even know what it was! We had to tell her. Of course, it was delicious, but really....? In addition, our empty cocktail glasses and water bottles weren't removed during the course of our meal, either. Our main waitress was great but everyone who supported her seemed to be pretty green. I like the food and will go back. I hope they can tighten up their act.Special Features:
- Excellent food and service!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/16/2013Excellent food and service! I haven't found margaritas to top Avenida's- it's the real deal. These folks know how to make a celebration special.Special Features:
- Disappointing serviceNitiVIPDined on 5/12/2013Although the food was fine, the service was painfully slow. We celebrated Mother's Day at Avenida as it was nearby and the menu looked good. For the price and location, would have rather gone to downtown Philly.Special Features:
- Avenida is great for familiesKattyDined on 5/12/2013My extended family and I recently had dinner at Avenida. We were a group of nine, including three children, ages 3-6. We loved the options: family style meals; children's menu; regular menu; and, margaritas; mojitos; and sangria. There was something for everyone AND everything was delicious! Additionally, our server was accommodating and gracious! Based on our experience, we highly recommend Avenida!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had an outstanding dinner.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/11/2013We had an outstanding dinner. And the cocunut tres leches for dessert was a home run.Special Features:
- Too noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/10/2013My husband and I went last Friday night after a long work week. I was hoping for some quiet talk and a chance to relax together. Seated in a crowded room with two inches between us and the table next to us was my first clue that perhaps I had made a bad decision. The level of noise in the room finished me off. I couldn't wait to finish and leave. I have been to this restaurant many times before and totally enjoyed it. I will only return if I can sit outside.
- New experienceout2eatDined on 5/10/2013Food delicious, waitress very knowledgable. Seated on time. Noise level a little loud and the banquette was too close. Several people refused to be seated there because of the tightness. Seating was the negative of the night. If you have more than two in your party, then it's not too tight at all.Special Features: