The Roof at Hotel Vancouver
900 West Georgia St
Vancouver, BC V6C 2W6Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
The Roof at Hotel Vancouver
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.fairmont.com/hotelvancouver/GuestServices/Restaurants/TeaattheCastle.htm
- Phone: (604) 662-1900x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast Buffet (Mon to Fri): 06:30 to 10:30
Breakfast Buffet (Sat & Sun): 07:00 to 10:30
Breakfast A La Carte (Daily): Opening to 11:30
Lunch A La Carte (Daily): 11:30 to 14:30
Dinner A La Carte (Daily): 17:30 to 21:30
Afternoon Tea (Mon to Fri): 14:30 to 16:00
Afternoon Tea (Sat & Sun): 13:00 to 16:00
Bar Bites (Daily): 11:30 to 23:00
Bar Beverage Service (Sun to Thu): 11:30 to 24:00
Bar Beverage Service (Fri & Sat): 11:30 to 01:00
Live Entertainment – featured Thursday to Saturday
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Afternoon Tea, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Cameron Ballendine
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, High Tea, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live Entertainment – featured Thursday to Saturday
A word from The Roof at Hotel Vancouver
Simple + Fresh + Classic … located at the heart of The Fairmont Hotel Vancouver, its dramatic setting with lofted ceilings, glass art sconces and high arched windows place each diner at the center of the city’s favourite gathering place. Chef Cameron Ballendine and his brigade have created new a menu that brings the freshness of the fields, mountains, and waters to the plate. Food that is uncomplicated and understandable with attentive service … serving breakfast, lunch, dinner and afternoon tea daily.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Roof at Hotel Vancouver reviews from OpenTable diners
126 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (78)scenic view (72)romantic (45)great for lunch (36)great for brunch (32)fit for foodies (24)good for groups (23)notable wine list (13)neighborhood gem (12)late-night find (8)kid-friendly (7)hot spot (6)vibrant bar scene (4)great for outdoor dining (3)Show More
- Afternoon tea fit for a QueenBeanDined on 4/26/2014A lovely and memorable experience to celebrate a coming of age birthday - the servers were attentive and made six 14 year olds feel very special. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Return of Elegant DiningdinerontheroofDined on 4/23/2014The room is elegant, big and open feeling. How nice to be in a restaurant where there is plenty of space between tables. The food and it's presentation were beautifully presented with taste to match. I had 6 raw oysters - because of a food allergy it was an option they created for me - fresh, delicious and artfully presented on a rock plank like plate with course sea salt, the six oysters lined up, a dipping vinaigrette and lemon. The main was a perfectly cooked piece of Halibut on a selection of two vegetables, I had Quinoa with corn and kale with white and green asparagus. For dessert I had an overly sweet Meyer Lemon Tart - not what I like in a lemon tart, although I managed to eat it all! Beautiful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Trapped in the 80'sMooseislooseDined on 4/22/2014We decided to have a staycation and took advantage of the hotel's $75 dining credit promotion which we used at the newly reopened Rooftop restaurant. Although sporting a fresh coat of paint, the artwork and decor looks straight out of the 1980's and the same can be said for the menu. The wine list was terribly overpriced (even for hotel rates) but the redeeming feature was the cold seafood appetizer platter. At $64 for two, it confined enough beautifully fresh seafood for four people, and as a result became my main course. My husband had the prime rib which was cooked perfectly, but was accompanied by a dried out Yorkshire pudding, carrots and mashed potatoes. Service was excellent. Good place for cocktails. Better dining elsewhere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Time for yourself.BrazTravelerDined on 4/20/2014Reserve time to be and appreciate what we achieve is very important. If you follow goals after goals without realize what these are bringing to your life, probably you reduce opportunities for enjoy and recognise the "trajectory"/walking learnings.Special Features:
- My husband and I had bothOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/13/2014My husband and I had both dinner and breakfast there. Dinner was extremely salty, we had salmon and could hardly eat it. Breakfast I had lemon pancakes which were very tasty but extremely heavy my husband chose the buffet and found many of the items cold. Will not eat there again.
- Good memoriesVickDined on 4/11/2014Wanted to go back / not like the old Roof, but bar looks nice. Service was friendly but not too efficient. Food was ok, but nothing to write home about. One steak returned as it was tough and lacked flavour. Would go back for drinks at bar, and to hear the music again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not badkkahmeDined on 4/11/2014The food was delicious. My group was very unhappy with the gentleman who informed my party that the table was ready. Instead of walking towards my group, he decided to scream across the hallway and informed us that our table is ready. After doing so, he just walked off. The lady who actually sat us was very kind. She made the mood somewhat better. Our waiter was somewhat pushy when we were deciding which tea to pick. Overall, the food was very delicious but the service definitely need some attention. The service quality is inconsistent as some servers are amazing and some are not.Special Features:
- Roofmarkims76VIPDined on 4/10/2014With some minor adjustments, this restaurant could be very special. The food and service were good, but the location offers so much, I think they can do better.I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food, not so good service.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/9/2014Wife and I went to experience afternoon tea at he Fairmont. While the food, tea, atmosphere, and view were great, the service left a lot to be desired. We went at 3:30pm and the staff of 4 spent most of their time either setting unoccupied tables for dinner or in the back out of sight doing who knows what and left their three tables to fend for themselves. I had to track someone down for more milk and come check time I was fed up. Had to approach the host to get our waiter for the check after 30 minutes of waiting after they cleared all plates. My wife and I were saddens that our nice afternoon tea was soured by poor service. I will not recommend my friends and family take tea here and will not be back for tea, dinner or breakfast.Special Features:
- Most delightful Afternoon teaWowzadelight1Dined on 4/6/2014My friend and I decided to celebrate our birthday's by having afternoon tea. Fantastic food, knowledgeable and friendly.Very impressed . Excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food.... thats allGurpDined on 4/5/2014good food, however, the tables/chairs/ tables clothes/scenary is very very old. goes with the theme of a hotel from the 1950's that has never doing a renovation. The rooftop is basically a convention hall converted to a restuarant... age groups all 55 and upSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too pricyOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/5/2014Not cazy about the roof location for the high tea. Did not think it was a good value.
- Lack LustreMothersDayBrunchDined on 4/3/2014It was like a work convention lunch, with extremely bright lighting (pot lights?) Decor was beyond bland, beige on beige. No buzz, no pizzazz, nothing reminiscent of the old glamorous restaurant. The space was big but empty, unset tables. It felt very temporary but not in a good "pop-up" way, more like they are trying to do anything to save money during renovations. Our server went missing after dropping off menus, didn't' see him for 20 minutes, we gave up and asked the host who came over, and took our order for him on a napkin. (4 star?? no don't think so). The food was good, but exactly what you would find on their regular menu. Final thoughts: Excited to go, disappointed when arriving, happy to leave. Don't go and save your money.Special Features:
- Okay Food, disaster of a space.JonbDined on 3/29/2014So when we heard that this Restaurant was relocating to the Roof of the Grand Dame of Vancouver Hotels we thought we'd give it a go. The food was fairly good, but really nothing special. BUT the room is just one big open generic hotel space. It feels like a conference facility that's put some tables out for a dining. Terrible. All the ambiance of a bus depot, only our fantastic waiter saved it from being a complete disaster.
- Space is too big ....DebraVIPDined on 3/25/2014The space was too big and extremely "bland". Looked like a ballroom with tables and chairs. For the amount of time that it was under rennovation I expected better.
- Excellent SeafoodlivelifeDined on 3/16/2014We each had a seafood menu item as a main course. All three fish dishes were delicious and prepared to showcase the specific type of fish (Halibut, Ahi Tuna and BC Salmon).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High TeaOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/16/2014Had an amazing time. This is my second time at the Fairmont for High Tea and it is probably my favorite place to go. The food is always fresh and amazing, the scones taste like clouds and the tea is always topped off with hot water. Amazing high tea experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/9/2014Everyone thoroughly enjoyed our luncheon experience. Food was outstanding, the prime rib hamburger was the best my son in law has ever had, and the prime beef dip the best I've ever had. Service was friendly and professional. Ambience and surroundings were lovely. 900 West is certain to be our favorite choice for a meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The bestpetwebVIPDined on 3/7/2014The best in all areas...and will be better when the "roof" opens.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding servicejdawoodDined on 2/9/2014The service is outstanding, very elegant hospitality. No noise at all. The food portion is good compared to its price, good for any occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/10/2014We made reservations for Tea at 1 PM in October for our January trip to Vancouver. Upon arrival at the hotel, we were told that Tea was now served beginning at 2:30 PM. Soon after getting to our room, we received a call saying they would certainly accommodate us at 1 PM. When we arrived at the restaurant, we were immediately seated and treated like royalty. Our server (I believe her name was Cindy) was wonderful. The food was delicious, but the service and ambiance were what made it a memorable experience. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful ambience, how's the food?FoodEndeavorerDined on 12/31/2013Good place to meet with friends. Dined during new years eve, and although quite busy, the servers were quite attentive given the rush. The meal, a tasting menu, was acceptable as most courses were average, though there were a few that were inedible (perhaps kitchen wasn't performing optimally for that busy night). Highlight were the drinks cocktails, wine, and dessert. Some appies and mains were weak. Would go for drinks or a light meal, but probably not for dinner.Special Features:
- Food is not great!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/31/2013The only good quality dish we tried is the prime rib (juicy, tender, and done perfectly to our order). Others are disappointing: the pork chop is tough and dry; lobster bisque too salty; onion soup too sweet. Rib eye is average. Service however is very good.
- NOT UP TO USUAL STANDARDOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/29/2013Service was poor to the point of neglect. There was no explanation of the offerings and certainly patrons should never have to ask for more hot water. Quite below expectations and beneath the dignity of what is a very special hotel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Challenges during RenovationsOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 12/28/2013With Griffins closing, 900 West is the only restaurant in the hotel. The kitchen appears to be unable to produce meals in a timely manner and the servers are spread very thin. The menu is also quite limited. I would pass on this restaurant until hotel renovations are completed.
- Tea partyYummyBearDined on 12/28/2013Splendid afternoon tea, excellent service and a great place for a ladies get-togetherSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed ourselves thoroughly!vancouverwriterDined on 12/23/2013A beautiful evening at the 900 restaurant. The food was very well done, our patient server helped us decide on a terrific wine and the Christmas atmosphere was lovely. I read mixed reviews before we went but I didn't care as it is a great setting each Christmas and it's a great place to have dinner with friends I only see once a year. It was expensive but so is the lounge and I still would choose it over any other place because of the atmosphere. But the food was excellent and we had a terrific evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedICBDVDined on 12/20/2013Having been a Fairmont customer for years, Griffins, the Lounge and 9 west, I booked for a special occasion. The service was very bad not enough staff to deal with clients, reception very poor and inattentive, groups of people walking in and out some with bags of chips in their hands in between dining guests. The food was good and presentation quite good, unfortunately service was slow and incomplete.Special Features:
- DisappointedMLMHVIPDined on 12/19/2013The food was excellent, but the service was spotty. Hard to place an order, get water, or the bill. The restaurant was busy, but obviously either short staffed or poorly manned. We come every year ahead of a n annual concert to soak up the atmoshere, hear the music, and won't be back.
- The wait staff weren't veryfoodloverDined on 12/19/2013The wait staff weren't very attentive. However, the service they provided was good if not great. The tea was generally good, yet the sandwiches were a tad soggy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great buffetFrequentdinerDined on 12/19/2013Buffets are scarce in this city but this is the best restaurant to try with many different varieties of foods.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Christmas LunchRandaDined on 12/19/2013With the closure of Griffins Restaurant the only remaining eatery in the Fairmont Vancouver Hotel is 900 West. The christmas lunch this year was not as good as in previous year's at Griffins. There was less of a selection, but that said the overall food quality was still very good. What makes this restaurant is the quality of service and, as in the many years we have been at the Hotel Vancouver, all the staff at 900 West are very attentive and make for an enjoyable occasion.I would recommend this to a friend.
- fell shortElkeDined on 12/17/2013Dinner didn't live up to our expectations. It was convenient as we were staying at the Vancouver Hotel, but nothing special. My fish was overcooked: dry and tough. Not much value for the price. The dining room is attached to the bar so it is quite noisy. Disappointed.
- Too ExpensiveMollyDined on 12/17/2013$21.00 for a Chicken Salad was a bit much in view of the fact that the salad was nothing special. I guess you pay for the name of the hotel here, but I've had better meals at good restaurants elsewhere in Vancouver for more reasonable prices.
- Outstanding & Memorable ServiceFDreviewerDined on 12/15/2013We had afternoon tea to celebrate my nieces 8th birthday. The services were outstanding from arrival through to departure. The chef came by the table to wish my niece a Happy Birthday. She was thrilled. After she indulged in everything she had a chance to say thank you to him and in her words, "the treats just get better and better each year". I would concur...each year has been better than the previous one for service and quality of food. Even the young diners are well looked after. Looking forward to having more scones soon. They are truly amazing! For the Festive Season, there were a couple additional starters. I have never seen asparagus soup presented they way they did it. Well done Fairmont Hotel Vancouver on an outstanding meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointedluv2dineDined on 12/14/2013We went on a Saturday night. Our meal took forever to come. When it did finally come, my husband's fries with his meal were lukewarm at best, and limp. My meal did not arrive for another 5 min or so. We sent his fries back and they took just the fries not the whole meal so he finished his burger before the fries even came back - not that they were much better the second time. I had 1/2 a roast chicken. It came with an untasty tomato. I had ordered a side of asparagus. The presentation was dismal. They came limp in a small bowl! We let our server know we weren't very happy and all she offered was she was sorry. No opportunity to order something else nor a gesture to bring us dessert. At this rate, 900 West may need to close down again!
- We've had a family ChristmasMargetDined on 12/14/2013We've had a family Christmas dinner at Griffin's every year for the last 15 years - since moving to Vancouver. The food at 900 West was mediocre and prices were ridiculous, given the quality of the food. The wine list much the same. Griffin's has been going in this direction for years but it's now gone over the top. The service itself remains excellent and the ambience is traditional Christmas, which we enjoy. But, we'll be going elsewhere next year.
- Amazing ServiceTea4meDined on 12/14/2013I came for afternoon tea with a friend. The atmosphere was so great--we loved all the Christmas decorations. The service was outstanding from the amazing hostess to the excellent server we had. The food was excellent, especially the finger sandwiches and the tea. The scones were good--kind of biscuit like--but not the best we've ever had. I would definitely recommend the afternoon tea for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Afternoon tea in special occasionMildDined on 12/13/2013nice for trying things out, fancy ambiance, great location, but pricy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just rightI2romantisDined on 12/10/2013Excellent experience, service exceptional, food fantastic, worth the cost, which was fairly standard for top restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.