Rosa Mexicano- Boston
155 Seaport Boulevard
Boston, MA 02210Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
Rosa Mexicano- Boston
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.rosamexicano.com/
- Phone: 6174766122x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday- Friday: 11:30am – 4:00pm
Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:30pm
Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Executive Chef: Ismael Garduno
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: Regardless of your party size, Rosa Mexicano is the perfect venue to offer your guests a creative, upscale experience that few restaurants can match. We offer a full range of catering options: buffet stations, pre-fixe menus, family style menus, passed hors d'oeuvres, etc. We also offer off-premise catering for groups of all sizes. For Large Party Reservations, please contact Amy Mateo at email@example.com or 617.476.6122 for details.
- Entertainment: On special occasions, we frequently have guest musicians and/or mariachis present to heighten the festive atmosphere. Please contact the restaurant directly for more information.
- Special Events: Enjoy our El Menu de Cantina at the Cantina Bar- Daily, 4-7pm . Half price appetizers will make you very happy for much more than an hour.
A word from Rosa Mexicano- Boston
In 1984, Rosa Mexicano set a new standard for Mexican cuisine when it first opened in New York City. Playing a leading role in defining what was then a "new" cuisine to American diners, Rosa Mexicano delivers authentic Mexican cooking in an accessible, stylishly festive atmosphere. Rosa Mexicano"s menu features a range of award-winning signature dishes, including our Guacamole en Molcajete, prepared in a traditional lava rock mortar. Described by Time Out New York as "green ecstasy in a stone bowl," it is prepared tableside and served with house made chips, warm corn tortillas and condiment salsas. Rosa Mexicano is also known for the Frozen Pomegranate Margarita, as well as the stylish and festive ambiance that includes the 15 foot water wall.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Rosa Mexicano- Boston reviews from OpenTable diners
109 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (58)great for outdoor dining (43)fit for foodies (35)vibrant bar scene (23)great for lunch (23)hot spot (23)neighborhood gem (19)special occasion (19)kid-friendly (14)scenic view (12)romantic (10)late-night find (7)great for brunch (3)notable wine list (2)Show More
- Love the guacAmericanoDined on 7/6/2014Rosa Mexicano is famous for its pomegranate margarita and its freshly made guacamole. It should be famous for these items! They are excellent! The food was delicous and out server was really good with a fun personality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a food lover 1962Afoodlover1962VIPDined on 7/3/2014without a doubt the BEST and freshest guacamole in the city. The food is outstanding with creative rich flavors and generous servings. A must .Special Features:
- Wonderful find!Ivy73Dined on 7/3/2014We were looking for a place to eat in the Seaport district but had waited until the last minute to make reservations. Booked a table at Rosa Mexicano not knowing anything about it. The service was prompt and friendly, the food was delicious! Fresh ingredients, nice variety, very appetizing presentation..we were thrilled with our meal!! We will definitely be back and will be telling family and friends about our new discovery.Special Features:
- Guac-alicious but......VAMCCVIPDined on 7/2/2014The best part of the night was the guacamole -- freshly made to your liking at the table. The food was okay -- the filet tacos were a bit pricey ($13 for 2 small soft tacos as an appetizer). The margaritas were good -- but each bartender seemed to make the same drink differently. And not better! I had been to Rosa Mexicana in NY many years ago and wanted to check out the Boston location. I would not rush back.Special Features:
- go for Guac and drinksnhdinerDined on 6/26/2014Overpriced menu and not very good tacos. Guac and churros were excellent. Server was friendly.
- The following 442 reviews are from the Rosa Mexicano- Boston reviews archive.
- Seaport District MustwhiteflowerDined on 6/15/2014Have dined at Rosa Mexicano on several occasions and I have never been disappointed. In particular, the guacamole is fabulous and not to be missed. It is prepared at the table with fresh ingredients and to specified spiciness. Great with drinks or as an appetizer for the table. Expect traditional Mexican dishes, but with beautiful presentation. Everything is yummy. I typically drop in at Rosa Mexicano for lunch or drinks after work, and atmosphere is lively, but not too loud for conversation. Nice outdoor dining when weather permits. Last weekend, the experience was quite different - lot's a families and young children. Restaurant is able to accommodate variety of groups.Special Features:
- Great drinks!dogloverDined on 6/13/2014The food had good flavor and the drinks were amazing! My husband and I are picky when it comes to margaritas. Our drinks were perfect. The right amount of tequila and none of that gross sour mix. The service could have been better. There was a long gap between our drink order and our food order. We were considering the table side guacamole, but after waiting so long for the waiter, we decided to skip it and just order our meals. The tables were close together, so it felt like the people next to us could hear our conversation.Special Features:
- AcceptableBetsy1224VIPDined on 6/12/2014This is a reasonably good choice if you're in this part of the city, but I wouldn't go out of my way to eat here. The food and drinks are okay but nothing exceptional. Perhaps I'm expecting too much as I've eaten at Rosa Mexicano's Lincoln Center location in New York a number if times, and that is a real experience - beautiful decor, varied menu, great service.Special Features:
- nice findPALSDined on 6/10/2014Was able to make a reservation for 2 people which is great! Had a yummy pommegranite martini. The mahi mahi app tacos were tasty, fresh and perfect size for what I was looking for. The guac made table side was delish and the salsa is prob the best I've ever had! It should be bottled and sold :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/9/2014We had to wait for 40 minutes to even be acknowledged by the wait staff on an evening that was not very busy. The 2 appetizers we ordered came out 20 minutes apart. In fairness, once the manager became aware of the poor service, we were not charged for the appetizers. We had been to dinner a week before and experienced similar slow and inattentive service. On the other hand, the food was reasonable.
- Great food and nice ambiance!mandzmrieDined on 6/7/2014The food at Rosa Mexicano was very good! The chicken enchiladas were delicious. We passed on the table-side guac this time around, but will definitely be getting it next time as it looked amazing. The service was great, and I really liked the atmosphere.Special Features:
- cbarVIPDined on 6/7/2014Extremely poor service. drinks took 45 min, food came wrong, check came wrong too.Special Features:
- Not great.AlliDined on 6/7/2014There are two things that Rosa Mexicano does well: drinks (I particularly enjoy the organic sangria) and guacamole (a bit salty, but delicious nonetheless). The rest, however, leaves much to be desired. It seems that whenever I go there for a meal, it is at the least a mild disaster, and this time was no different. In addition to needing to ask for brunch menus and the waiter filling an already-full glass of water, spilling it everywhere, the food I ordered is not what I got. According to the menu, the egg white burrito is supposed to have herbed egg whites, arugula, and a wheat tortilla. I got non-herbed egg whites, romaine and asparagus instead of arugula, and a white tortilla. Not ok. I'll return, but only for drinks and guac.Special Features:
- Elegant Mexican on Boston HarborHoward4Dined on 6/6/2014A lovely restaurant in the seaport area with elegant, casual ambience, the best gaucamole, EVER (made fresh at your table), unusual & spicy tacos, yummy red sangria and really nice staff. We would highly recommend for groups of 4 - 8.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic MexicanTamieLVIPDined on 6/3/2014I have now gone to Rosa's for lunch and happy hour and think it is one of the few authentic Mexican (actual Mexican food) restaurants in Boston. There are a decent amount of tex-mex so it is a refreshing addition to the area. I had their mango margarita which was very fresh and refreshing. The ambiance is perfect for groups: friends or coworkers; not the kind of place I would label as romantic. I can definitely see this as a place I will frequent in the future.Special Features:
- First time. Would go back.chrisDined on 5/31/2014As with all the restaurants at the Seaport, this is expensive for what you get. Both people at the host/hostess station were friendly and welcoming. Server was fine. He didn't seem to understand the menu very well and when we asked two very small questions that were barely off script (including "what if I want this special margarita with a different tequila") I think his head almost exploded. So, we decided to keep it simple at that point. Not a big issue because the menu was self-explanatory. They have a peculiar habit of asking if you want more water. To me, if my water is empty or low, just fill it; especially while I'm eating spicy food. Table side quac was fabulous. Mahi taco appetizer was TINY but had huge flavor.
- Rosa mexicanaCindyDined on 5/30/2014Went with some friends before a concert. The margaritas were delicious, food was great and service was fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bostonfoodie21VIPDined on 5/30/2014Great atmosphere and interesting menu - seemed promising. Sadly, the food and service did not measure up. The rasberry mojito smelled/tasted like thick, syrupy peach shnapps; the cucumber mojito was far too thick and sweet as well. The flavors of the sauce in the budin de pollo didn't marry well with the chicken (mostly dark meat). The beef short rib enchiladas were sub-par. Only shining spot was the overpriced table side guacamole. I'm happy to pay any price for an outstanding meal, but was disappointed in this experience. Our server was polite and friendly but service was spotty; the guacamole came and was consumed before our drinks arrived ~15 minutes later. The entrees came out quickly, but we sat for ~20 minutes waiting for the check.
- GREAT RESTAURANT!diningout1VIPDined on 5/28/2014Rosa Mexicano was such a nice restaurant to find. Upscale mexican food that was deliciouos and creatively prepared and presented. The guacomole is a MUST to try!Special Features:
- This place was 5 srarsLiz1Dined on 5/27/2014Fantastic we went 2 night in a row it was so good we had fish tacos the first night which were outstanding, there shrimp cevetia is wonderfulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- unexpectedly delicious!stillpurpleflowerDined on 5/26/2014My wife and I went with our month-old son and another couple on Memorial Monday. It was not busy at all, only 5 other tables in there, but the staff was cheerful, helpful and happy to assist in all of our special requests. The food was better than we expected: quite tasty!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yummyjennoDined on 5/23/2014The good was great and the servers were attentive. Delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great waterfront MexicanNeedhamBillDined on 5/20/2014We have dined at Rosa Mexicano restaurants in Boston, NYC, and DC. The tableside guac is really great. The food in general keeps us coming back. The waiter was really friendly and helpful. We had a group of 8 and the table was so big, and it was loud, so we couldn't talk with the people on the other end of the table. Maybe not the best destination for a group of that size. Love the outside dining when the weather is good - great people watching.Special Features:
- As good as NYC LincolnCtr LocationMumsedsoVIPDined on 5/20/2014I chose this for my birthday celebration based on eating at the Rosa in NYC - this was just as good if not better. Great Guac - a single is plenty for four people. Great food, great atmosphere for celebrating - great location in Boston - would go here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Won't DisappointOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/18/2014I'm a fan of Rosa Mexicano in my home area of Washington, DC. I enjoyed my fork tender Budin de Pollo (soft corn tortillas layered with roast chicken, cheese, and a pepper cream sauce), but the guacamole, made table-side, stole the show, as usual. I brought an associate here for a business dinner, and she was mighty impressed. We both recommend the pomegranate margaritas!Special Features:
- Significantly overpricedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/17/2014My meal should have cost half of what it did given the portion sizesSpecial Features:
- Good but noisyKornermanDined on 5/16/2014Food was enjoyable, as were the drinks. Attentive service. Only negative is noise.Special Features:
- DeliciousAJMBVIPDined on 5/15/2014Lots of variety, well prepared, guacamole a must! Sat in the bar with kids (12 and 14) and felt very welcome.Special Features:
- The Ying and The YangSKENGAMANVIPDined on 5/11/2014Our 6th trip to this favorite proved to be both excellent and disappointing. NOTHING to not like about the menu and preparation, but we were shocked at the poor service. Yes, it was Mother's Day, but we went at 4pm ... a very lite crowd. We ate outside on the patio during a gorgeous day, but there was plenty of wait-staff buzzing. We just had bad service... 4 requests for table service (knife/fork/napkin) as I was getting tired of sharing utensils with my wife. Finally delivered. Time between appetizer and entrée nearly an hour. Wife's desert delivered to the wrong table, despite the lucky couple next door saying they didn't order it and myself waving at the waiter like an air-traffic controller. We'll be back, but we'll be wary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not so good experience...StarchildVIPDined on 5/11/2014I loved this place.. It was the best Mexi food establishment I found... However, I had a recent not-so-good experience. I brought my GF there for Mom's day.. She ordered a dish that I had on another visit to the place. It is served with a blanket of cheese over the portion of chicken/tortilla. She opted to have it without it.. The waiter advised, "Well, not sure if we can do that because it's the presentation of the dish." - As he was talking, he was spitting.. So she said, "I don't care about the presentation, I just don't want a blanket of cheese." - It kind of reminds me of a person with a food allergy, would you still serve a dish with nuts? No... The dish came out with the blanket of cheese... She sent it back...Special Features:
- Don't go!YIKESDined on 5/10/2014I made a reservation weeks in advance and asked for a quiet table, not near the hostess booth. When we arrived we were offered the table right behind the hostess booth! Very loud in room. No sound barriers. We had poor service and sat amongst emptied dirty tables. It appeared like they did not have enough staff. The only food worth getting is the overpriced guacamole and chips. Ever thing else was terrible.
- Unfortunately disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/9/2014Restaurant has nice appearance...even on a very quiet Friday night. Staff was friendly and attentive. Regarding food, everything from the signature margarita to the chain-inspired food was average at best. The highlight was the tableside quac...stop there if you visit. If your looking for something special for Mexican food, I'd keep looking.
- YUMkoconnor0521Dined on 5/9/2014Rosa Mexicano is a must try to all those visiting Boston. From the table-side guacamole cart made to order to the delicious entrees, everything was beyond my expectations. The only negative I would say would be that I requested a booth table for my guests and I and confirmed with the host the day before, but when we arrived the only table they would sit us at was the first table in the middle of the dining room. Not conducive for a group of four who haven't seen each other in almost a year. Oh well, maybe next time! We will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Won't returnOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/9/2014Food is OK. Way too loud....service spotty.....meals didn't arrive together.
- OverratedKenMaherDined on 5/9/2014There were some very good aspects of our dinner and some quite ordinary. Our waiter was pleasant but didn't know the menu well, and we had to ask for water. The made-at-the-table guacamole was very good. The roast chicken was OK, and the enchiladas rancheras were very good. Both the rice and beans were tasty, but the beans were over-pureed--too much like a sauce. And a simple flan would not need to be covered up with extraneous add-ons; it lost the battle.
- Cinco de Mayo&Birthday CelebrationSimpyAMDVIPDined on 5/5/2014This was a fun place. Not sure what it's like on a regular night but for Cinco de Mayo it was quite energetic with a DJ and dance floor. We were also celebrating a birthday so this place was all inclusive and there was no need to go anywhere else that night. The margaritas were good but a little weak- we ended up buying shots of tequila and adding them to our drinks. The guacamole was great as was the rest of the meal. The crab enchiladas were more like a crab tostadas but still very tasty- I'm guessing it was their creative interpretation. And the fish tacos were fresh. They also included a nice little birthday flan- very nice touch!Special Features:
- Always greatSMyrieDined on 5/4/2014went for a pre cinco de mayo celebration and really enjoyed our time. We brought some first timers with us who enjoyed it just as much. The Bartender and Michelle rocked out for us and they were awesome.Special Features:
- Cinco comes Early!BabyBack2BillVIPDined on 5/3/2014Had a great meal and loved the atmosphere! The guacomole made fresh at the table and the desserts were nice touches. Everyone enjoyed their entrees. We dined at a leisurely pace and the wait staff were attentive and very informative as well as entertaining. A great evening on the waterfront was had by all!Special Features:
- best mexican restaurant!!!RosaDined on 5/2/2014I always look for a rosa mexicana in every big city we visit. I was pleased to find one in the seaport district of boston!! The food is so authentic and flavorful. I can't stress how fabulous this restuarant is. If your going to boston or any of the big cities like, New York, Miami, Baltimore etc. try them out you won't be disappointed.Special Features:
- 3rd times still a charmSMyrieDined on 4/27/2014love this place, obsessed with going back every chance I getSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.