Rosa Mexicano- Boston
155 Seaport Boulevard
Boston, MA 02210Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
Rosa Mexicano- Boston
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.rosamexicano.com/
- Phone: 6174766122x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday- Friday: 11:30am – 4:00pm
Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:30pm
Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Executive Chef: Ismael Garduno
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: Regardless of your party size, Rosa Mexicano is the perfect venue to offer your guests a creative, upscale experience that few restaurants can match. We offer a full range of catering options: buffet stations, pre-fixe menus, family style menus, passed hors d'oeuvres, etc. We also offer off-premise catering for groups of all sizes. For Large Party Reservations, please contact Amy Mateo at firstname.lastname@example.org or 617.476.6122 for details.
- Entertainment: On special occasions, we frequently have guest musicians and/or mariachis present to heighten the festive atmosphere. Please contact the restaurant directly for more information.
- Special Events: Enjoy our El Menu de Cantina at the Cantina Bar- Daily, 4-7pm . Half price appetizers will make you very happy for much more than an hour.
A word from Rosa Mexicano- Boston
In 1984, Rosa Mexicano set a new standard for Mexican cuisine when it first opened in New York City. Playing a leading role in defining what was then a "new" cuisine to American diners, Rosa Mexicano delivers authentic Mexican cooking in an accessible, stylishly festive atmosphere. Rosa Mexicano"s menu features a range of award-winning signature dishes, including our Guacamole en Molcajete, prepared in a traditional lava rock mortar. Described by Time Out New York as "green ecstasy in a stone bowl," it is prepared tableside and served with house made chips, warm corn tortillas and condiment salsas. Rosa Mexicano is also known for the Frozen Pomegranate Margarita, as well as the stylish and festive ambiance that includes the 15 foot water wall.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Rosa Mexicano- Boston reviews from OpenTable diners
111 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (59)great for outdoor dining (44)fit for foodies (35)great for lunch (24)hot spot (24)vibrant bar scene (24)neighborhood gem (20)special occasion (20)kid-friendly (14)scenic view (13)romantic (11)late-night find (7)great for brunch (3)notable wine list (2)Show More
- Sat down and waited for aOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/19/2012Sat down and waited for a while and had to hail the waitress to come to the table. We (4) ordered beer and all 4 came to the table lukewarm and we asked to have ice brought over. Ordered dinner, came very quickly, but food was cold. Chef made replacements, but only marginally warmer, but the plate was a lot warmer! Food quality was great, but warm beer and cold food was a bit of a turn off.
- Not ready for prime timegrazerVIPDined on 6/17/2012I have always been a fan of Rosa Mexicana in the DC area. I know this one is new and right now it shows. Our waiter seemed uncomfortable in his role, especially when preparing the guacamole table-side. Even so the guacamole was very good. It took a while for him to take our entree order and forever for the order to come out. There were a couple of issues with items ordered which the manager promptly addressed. Finally, the mixed drinks are extremely expensive for the mediocre quality. At this point, I'll stick to Rosa Mexicana in DC.
- Our waiter did a great jobOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/16/2012Our waiter did a great job explaining the menu to us and the food came out great.Special Features:
- Had eaten at original restaurantdonfromwestboroughVIPDined on 6/16/2012Had eaten at original restaurant in NY - this one is very much like it in terms of decorations, menu is similar but smaller. Tableside guacamole was excellent. Food was equal (or better) in quality than any other Mexican restaurant in the Boston area (possible exception - Tu Y Yo). Only glitch, they brought us wrong dessert (after 15 minute wait), other than that, service was great - personable and helpful waiter, explained dishes (ingredients and how prepared). Definitely a restaurant I would go back to.Special Features:
- My margarita was deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/15/2012My margarita was delicious but the food was only fair. The NY restaurant is far superior.Special Features:
- Mexican FrustrationOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/13/2012I had been before and had a very good experience, which is why I was very disappointed after this trip. The staff was inconsistent in their updates on our table which resulted us being seated 45 minutes after our reservation. When we asked the manager about the confusion and different updates, she just kept saying it's our policy. When we were finally seated service was extremely slow, resulting in us having to track down the waiter several times and they brought out the wrong foodSpecial Features:
- The Boneless Short Ribs wereOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/12/2012The Boneless Short Ribs were amazing! They shredded with a fork, they were cooked perfectly...Special Features:
- The food is outstanding. NotOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/12/2012The food is outstanding. Not a place to go everyday (price) unless you've got that kind of money but definitely worth the price of admission. Expect to spend $100+ with food and drinks for two people. The table side guacamole preparation is a nice touch.Special Features:
- We use to freguent the restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/12/2012We use to freguent the restaurant when it had just one location in NYC, and it was a great as we always rememberedSpecial Features:
- This is the 1st Mexican restaurantSeansRobotsVIPDined on 6/11/2012This is the 1st Mexican restaurant that made my favorite appetizer like they did in Mexico City!
- This was our first visit toChrisDined on 6/10/2012This was our first visit to the Boston location, having been a number of times to the New York version. The much praised guacamole is as excellent as ever, and the menu remains varied and innovative. Drinks selection is also outstanding. If there are negatives, they are more to do with ambiance than food. This is a very large and noisy space, with little sense of intimacy and more of a chain feeling than their original location. Apart from this minor quibble, it's a great spot for a fun evening.Special Features:
- Rosa Mexicano was a fun placeDouglasDined on 6/9/2012Rosa Mexicano was a fun place in a great neighborhood! The food was delicious - I recommend the fish tacos and the guacamole. The service was very friendly as well.Special Features:
- The service that I experiencedOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/7/2012The service that I experienced this week at Rosa was quite poor. No one could figure out how to transfer (and physically carry) our guacamole order from the bar to our table. Our table was ready about 30 minutes after the reservation. The waitress didn't seem to know what to do. She didn't welcome/greet us. She didn't really ask for our drink or dinner orders. She didn't bring over salsa for the table until asked for it. We had to direct her the entire time. It was very strange. The food and atmosphere are great.
- As a big fan of Rosa MexicanoRICHVIPDined on 6/2/2012As a big fan of Rosa Mexicano locations in NYC, I was excited to learn of the opening of the Boston location. From what I remember, in comparison the menu is much more limited. But the guacomole is just as good! Service was very lax; I'm sure they have to work out the kinks. Overall, a little pricey for what you get.Special Features:
- Very fun!!! Had been to theOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/1/2012Very fun!!! Had been to the NYC restaurants and was SO excited when I found out about the Boston location! So many great choices and awesome table side guacamole. Also was so happy when our table was ready right on time even though the place was packed with a 2 hour non reservation wait, thank you!!! Great time :)Special Features:
- A GEM!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/30/2012Great food, service and atmosphere. The wait staff was knowledgeable, fun and willing to make suggestions and answer questions. The service was attentive and not obtrusive. The food was wonderfully fresh and prepared and presented well. Have been to the NYC spot and am thrilled we have our own gem in the Seaport District. Already planning to return for the October special menu!Special Features:
- Great ambiance and service.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/28/2012They make the guacamole fresh for you table side and it's fabulous. The chips were just so-so and we were pretty shocked they don't have salsa. As there was one non-guacamole eating member of our party who would have really appreciated it. The waiter did offer him pico de gallo, which was tasty. I orders the pork special, which I was expecting to taste like carnitas, but it didn't even come close. It lacked flavor and I found myself dumping the rest of the pico de gallo on it. My husband however devoured his steak and said it was very good. The atmosphere was excellent for families and couples alike. Great location and our waiter was really knowledgable and friendly. We'll probably try it again after they've been open longer.Special Features:
- Overpriced food, great waiterLadyJ56VIPDined on 5/27/2012Overpriced food, great waiter but kitchen was very slow.
- Excellent Dining ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/27/2012It was my first time at Rosa Mexicano. The food was incredible and the service was very good. The ceviche sampler is a must starter!Special Features:
- AWFUL ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/26/2012The food is quite good. The service, however, leaves a lot to be desired. The server, who never introduced herself, delivered wrong drinks and entrees to our table on more than one occasion. The manager was too busy flirting with the female patrons to come the table when requested. We will not return to this restaurant. There are certainly better Mexican places with better service in the Boston area.
- First time trying RM Boston.OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 5/26/2012First time trying RM Boston. We are big fans of the original in NYC. My wife and I both had the fish tacos. They were "okay". They were made with Cod which was a poor combo with the deep fried preparation. Tableside guacamole is still the best thing at RM in my opinion and it didn't disappoint this time. Finally, the valet parking situation was a mess. Not enough employees, still need to work out a few kinks.
- Very expensive prices forOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/25/2012Very expensive prices for food for what you get, the portions are very small. Good atmosphere. Best for drinks and appetizers at the bar area.Special Features:
- A huge fan of Rosa Mexicano'sDoodlesDined on 5/25/2012A huge fan of Rosa Mexicano's locations in NYC and DC. Boston did not disappoint. The service was wonderful, including a special visit from the G.M. It was comfortable, relaxed, awesome food, and the guacamole is the best you can get. A wonderful addition to the Seaport.Special Features:
- Great Food, cocktails a little weakOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/22/2012This spot is likely going to be constantly compared to Temzacal, the other up scale Mexican restaurant in the Seaport. I liked the food much better at Rosa Mexicano, but the drinks were really weak. So, for a Mexican outing in the Seaport, I would have drinks at Temzacal on the water and then go to Rosa Mexicano for dinner!Special Features:
- disappoointed..nyc is better! noOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 5/22/2012disappoointed..nyc is better! noise was soo loud..food better as well sorry!
- Really?!OrrerrificVIPDined on 5/20/2012As a big fan of Rosa Mexicano in NYC, I was delighted to read they were coming up to Boston. What a disappointment!! The place has a wonderful location, (harborside), but it seems they couldn't make up their mind - is this a simple touristy Mexican restaurant or a fancier, hip restaurant. The tables and chairs belong to the simple theme, the chandelier to the fancy. Despite the beautiful warm day, it was cold in the restaurant and I was freezing. As to the food, on our visit, they had run out of several of the items on the menu. Most of the seafood dishes were composed of seafood sided with sausage or pork. Seafood with sausage? Really?! On the whole , the food was good, our server friendly, but the experience and ambience were awkw
- Wanted this to be so muchOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/20/2012Wanted this to be so much better than it was. The food was horrible, lacking flavor. The waitress was great, but the food made it a poor experience.
- We arrived early, but wereOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/20/2012We arrived early, but were seated immediately. Knowledgable and exceedingly polite waiter was a good sign for a newly-opened restaurant. I have dined at Rosa Mexicano in Washington and New York before. The new Boston location matched my experiences at its more established locations. Excellent and creative food as expected. I will definitely return.Special Features:
- we made reservations on lineOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/20/2012we made reservations on line the night before my sons grauation, i was very impressed they called me the next morning! I had told them my son was graduating and they made up a derest plate and put his name on it with a candle!! the staff is very perfessional.. friendly..and smile all the time! I told alot of freinds to go there..i will go going back. The food is the best mexican food i have ever had! you have to try the ice cream :)Special Features:
- Nice but needs workOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/20/2012Nice scene and great waitstaff but food could use some work ( a sauce or cream for the tacos?) and margaritas were skimpy on size and alcohol for the price.Special Features:
- Dissapointing.OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 5/19/2012Cold tortillas, cold tacos with cold chiken on top. Isn't anyone checking for quality control? It was very dissapointing. OK guacamole. Service OK. Staff seem to be scattered, and maybe not quite aware of what they were supposed to be doing that day. We could even see them eating in the kitchen as the doors would swing open. I woudn't go back, there are better Mexican food places.
- Best Mexican restaurant in Boston!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/18/2012We've been to several Rosa Mexicano restaurants - primarily the Lincoln Center location in Manhattan. The new Boston restaurant surpasses them all - new menu, excellent food (especially the taco samplers with matching tequilas are fantastic), and very gracious service. And, of course, the pomegranate margaritas are a classic. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Very lively, fun and veryjackDined on 5/17/2012Very lively, fun and very busy on a thursday night. The food and drinks were good and the staff very friendly and they clearly were working hard. A little difficult to get a drink because of the number of people at the bar but to be fair this was their second week in business and a few kinks were still being worked out. A nice addition to the seaport area!Special Features:
- Food is fantastic. UpscaleRs726Dined on 5/17/2012Food is fantastic. Upscale Mexican, not your traditional tex/mex. negative was it was extremely loud. Also service was spotty, but will give them a pass in that it just opened. Would highly recommend!Special Features:
- Great service...tiny margaritas.OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/17/2012Not overly impressed with the food- or the dining room - It is sort of cafeteria-ish. The service and the staff however are outstanding. The food was ok, guacamole is excellent. What really turned me off was the size vs. cost of the Margaritas! $13 for a skinny margarita served in the smallest glass EVER. Disappointing. I would comment if it was good or not, but honestly, there wasn't enough for me to give a decent opinion and at $13 I was not about to order another. Size matters, do not let anyone tell you differently. I will say though, that we went the week it opened - obviously there will be an adjustment period- it defnitly has potential.Special Features:
- Super attentive and consideratellllgDined on 5/17/2012Super attentive and considerate service. Guacamole was delic. The chicken salad could have tastier ...more spicerSpecial Features:
- The drinks were really good,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/16/2012The drinks were really good, guac was good, but papagayo has hands down better food. I would not come back here for the food and the group that I was with tried many different things on the menu.Special Features:
- The food was good but wayOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 5/16/2012The food was good but way over priced. The service was excellent, but its just too expensive for a Mexican restaurant.
- First time dining at thisOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/12/2012First time dining at this new chain to the Boston area. Service was polite and attentive, but slightly off. The restaurant opened just three days before, so the staff may still have been working out the kinks. Really enjoyed my snapper entree and the sides of corn on the cobb and fried plantains. Really liked their special frozen pomegranate margaritas. Will be going back.Special Features:
- The food was over priced andOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/12/2012The food was over priced and not very good. The wait staff rushed us through our meal and came over many times to take our order before we were ready. The drinks were also weak and over priced. I would not go back.